Online Mirror of OCTAVIAN

Old college threads.
Lake Winnipesaukee Mystery Stone
Wakka

Online Mirror of OCTAVIAN

Post by Lake Winnipesaukee Mystery Stone »

In what might be a record, a whole two years and five months after the original announcement (https://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic ... 21&t=19807), I'd like to organise an online mirror of OCTAVIAN on Discord in the coming month or so - this initial post is to gauge interest/find dates which might suit people - there are 7 packets of 24 TUs that can be played, so, as long as everything runs smoothly, it should not take more than half a day, if that.

https://doodle.com/poll/9zyvf6aydv2q84u9
Oliver Clarke
King Edward's School, Birmingham '11
Oxford '16
St Andrews '18
Oxford '23
Romanos I Lekapenos
Lulu

Re: Online Mirror of OCTAVIAN

Post by Romanos I Lekapenos »

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Robert Muñiz
Wakka

Looks like Sunday 15th September is the most popular date, so I will go for that - 18 people are signed up, so six teams of three seem ideal, to play a round robin on the first 5 packets, with two more packets for finals or shootout depending on the results - team formation sheet here.

If anyone has a deep desire to mod (as we will need 2 more as well as me) let me know!
As for mirror fees, I'm just going to work out what the best way of doing this is while minimising US->UK fees, but $10 per player should be the ballpark figure.
Oliver Clarke
Oxford '16
St Andrews '18
Oxford '23
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

The Abydos Helicopter wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:28 am Looks like Sunday 15th September is the most popular date, so I will go for that - 18 people are signed up, so six teams of three seem ideal
Can the team size be increased to 4 per team so that people who didn't vote in the poll can still play?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Wakka

Reminder that this is this coming Sunday - the aim will be to start at 17:00 BST/12:00 EDT/11:00 CDT/09:00 PDT. If everything runs smoothly, this event should take around 3 hours I hope, and possibly fewer.

A link to the Discord server will be added here once I've finished setting it up.

Please continue to sort yourself into teams using the spreadsheet in the post above - teams of 4 are fine if there is demand - the aim is to have six teams.

The cost of the mirror will be $10 per person, but including the cost of the paypal transfer fee - i.e. you pay $10, and I get that minus their cut. My paypal is on the spreadsheet

I am also still looking for two others to moderate this tournament, with a wage of $20.
Oliver Clarke
Oxford '16
St Andrews '18
Oxford '23
Wakka

Discord link here: https://discord.gg/TER3pH - please join ASAP so I can assign you to your team roles, and we can double check that I have set up the room permissions correctly

Edit. I now have moderators - thanks to the volunteers!
Oliver Clarke
Oxford '16
St Andrews '18
Oxford '23
Wakka

This happened - following a round robin, the standings were
Team 1: 4-1
Team 2: 1-4
Team 3: 4-1
Team 4: 0-5
Team 5: 4-1
Team 6: 2-3

Team 1 (Charles Hang and Rahul Rao-Pothuraju) were leading on PPG, so Team 3 (Robert Muñiz, Ben Ream, Michael Kearney) played a play-in game against Team 5 (Jakob Myers, Aayush Rajasekaran, Jason Golfinos), which Team 3 won 150-95.

The final saw Team 1 win 180-55, so congratulations to Charles and Rahul .

Full stats should hopefully be posted this evening, and packets should be up soon as well.
Please do give your comments, criticism (and even praise) in this thread.
Oliver Clarke
Oxford '16
St Andrews '18
Oxford '23
Wakka

Stats available here, including the consolation game played between Teams 2 and 6.
Oliver Clarke
Oxford '16
St Andrews '18
Oxford '23