Guerilla NASAT @ Columbia

Old college threads.
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Guerilla NASAT @ Columbia

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

I am pleased to announce that “Columbia” will be hosting a mirror of NASAT on August 17.

DISCLAIMER

Just like the NYC Open, this tournament will not be taking place in reserved rooms. We cannot reserve rooms in the summer, but the buildings and classrooms are open and air conditioned, and our intent is to squat there. I don't anticipate any issues, since the summer class schedule is over and move in doesn't start yet, but we will not officially be there and, as such, anything can happen. As Raynor said in the NYC Open thread: if travel is particularly difficult/prohibitive for you, I would probably not recommend coming. If you are interested, please make sure to keep everything below in mind.

Event Details

We will be running packets 11-20 of NASAT on Saturday, with possible side events on Saturday night. A logistics email will be sent out closer to the date, but almost everything will be standard (opening meeting at 845ish, etc.). If you have any questions let me know.

Staff

We will need both moderators and room-campers for Saturday.

Profits from this tournament will be evenly divided among the staff.

This event will be taking place at Hamilton Hall at Columbia University, unless something changes. Just make sure to be checking your email.

Signups

This is an open and anyone can play. Please try and sign up once you are sure you can attend, so as not to clog up the field with, say, a team of two people unlikely to attend.

The signup spreadsheet is here.

I will add side events to the sheet if the poll starts to show that they are likely.

Payment
Currently:
The fee will be $60 per team, no discounts. This way we e will pay staffers 40 for the day and cover the mirror fees

Payment should be made up front, either in the form of cash, venmo (@Emmett-Laurie), or a check written out to me. To again quote, Raynor:
Raynor wrote: If we face the unfortunate situation of the tournament being cancelled/disrupted mid-tournament, then I will refund registration fees as appropriate. You will likely not be refunded the mirror fee (think of it as a deposit), but I will scale your refund based on how many games you did get to play. I will additionally try to refund fees if I personally believe tournament quality severely suffered as a result of its guerrilla nature, but I reserve the right to not refund fees at all. (Obviously, if the tournament is cancelled prior to its date, and you haven't paid yet, you're not on the hook for anything.)
Let me know if I missed anything. I hope to see y'all on the 17th!

EDIT: edited to reflect decision about the structure of the tournament.
Last edited by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul on Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Rikku

Re: Guerilla NASAT @ Rutgers

Also, as an option, we can run packets 11-20 as a one day event to accommodate people who played the first ten at other sites like Jimenez.

EDIT: to be clear, this is what we will do automatically as long as like, one single person signed up has played packets 1-10. Seems dumb not to accommodate.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Rikku

This tournament will be a single day tournament, run on NASAT Packets 11-20. As there is currently only one team signed up, I'm going to make Wednesday night the deadline for determining whether or not this tournament runs, which will be contingent upon having enough interest. Therefore, if you're interested, sign up asap! (at the very minimum indicate you will be attending in the free agent slot, because otherwise I have no idea who is coming). I will make teams of the free agents on Thursday night if need be.

As for side events, here is a poll of possible events (all events which received multiple votes in the prior poll). Only vote if you actually intend on participating.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Honestly, and I don't mean to be rude regarding what seems like a very large amount of logistical effort (I can sympathize), but there is very, very low chance I'd come play, even though I'm in NYC.

CONVERSELY, there is a very, very high chance I'd play if this if it were an online mirror. Is there any possibility that this just turns into the proposed online NASAT mirror?

I know some people really prefer playing in-person to online, so not to start a debate over it, I just wanted to post and see if anyone was in the same boat.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Rikku

UlyssesInvictus wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:11 pm Honestly, and I don't mean to be rude regarding what seems like a very large amount of logistical effort (I can sympathize), but there is very, very low chance I'd come play, even though I'm in NYC.

CONVERSELY, there is a very, very high chance I'd play if this if it were an online mirror. Is there any possibility that this just turns into the proposed online NASAT mirror?

I know some people really prefer playing in-person to online, so not to start a debate over it, I just wanted to post and see if anyone was in the same boat.
While I imagine an online mirror is possible, its very unlikely this specific tournament will become an online mirror (aka, if interest is low and someone organizes an online mirror unrelatedly, sounds good, but I'd be disinclined to turn this into an online mirror run by me.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Alternatively, we can squat rooms at Columbia, which I'd be all in favor of. If the listed free agents, the NYU regulars, Columbia team, and at least one other open team come we would have a solid 9-round RR right there.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Rikku

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:51 pm Alternatively, we can squat rooms at Columbia, which I'd be all in favor of. If the listed free agents, the NYU regulars, Columbia team, and at least one other open team come we would have a solid 9-round RR right there.
I'd be cool with this as well if it's more convenient for people.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Rikku

This tournament will be played at columbia. Everything else (the set, etc) will stay the same. Please keep this in mind when signing up. The thread above will be edited to reflect this.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Rikku

Re: Guerilla NASAT @ Columbia

Staff is still a big need, so if you’re in the area and want to staff that’d be huge!
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Since we have enough buzzers to easily do a four team triple RR, we won't be providing buzzer discounts anymore. Instead staff will be paid $40 each. We need two!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

The general plan for this will be as follows:

I will show up to Hamilton Hall at 8:30 and figure out what rooms are available by then. Teams should arrive no later than 8:45. By then I will have a schedule mapped out on the spreadsheet for two different team configurations:

1) 4 team triple RR
2) 6 team double RR - we will need at least one additional buzzer for this configuration

We only have ten packets, so there will not be a possibility of a final if we use the latter format.

I encourage people to form teams ASAP. I will sort you onto free agent teams Thursday if you do not do so.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

If we don't get more signups, I'm inclined to cap the field at four teams and allow a five-person team or two. Please recruit your friends!

EDIT: alternatively, we can break up a team (probably Columbia) to fill the field out
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Post by High Dependency Unit »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:02 pm If we don't get more signups, I'm inclined to cap the field at four teams and allow a five-person team or two. Please recruit your friends!

EDIT: alternatively, we can break up a team (probably Columbia) to fill the field out
Probably best to start with a free agent team and confirm that those people will in fact be attending.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

The field is closed at six teams. I'm fine with five-person teams if additional people want to join, though please fill out the three-person team first!

I've added a schedule to the signup tab that should dictate everything that's going on tomorrow except for which rooms we're using, which I shall be finding out at 8:30 tomorrow. I will also designate a control room.

We will be playing ten games, with no additional playoffs or anything due to lack of packets. Lunch will be after Round 5.

Please pay me either in cash or on Venmo (@walston). You must pay before the tournament or during lunch. Only one person should pay for each team - I don't want to be chasing anyone around for money.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

I'm running behind due to an important phone call I had to make - my apologies. We will meet in Hamilton 301 and figure out from there what rooms to use.

Target 9:15 start
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

This tournament ran very smoothly. Columbia Ark cleared the field. Full stat report here.

Thanks for playing everyone!
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16