NorCal Weekend of Quizbowl (July 27-28, 2019) @ Berkeley

Old college threads.
rahulkeyal
Wakka

NorCal Weekend of Quizbowl (July 27-28, 2019) @ Berkeley

Post by rahulkeyal »

Stanford Berkeley will be hosting the annual NorCal Weekend of Quizbowl on the weekend of July 27th and 28th. The schedule will be as follows:

Saturday (7/27): Sunday (7/28): The tournament will be held at UC Berkeley within Cory Hall. Convenient parking is located across the street at the Upper Hearst Parking Structure, and a wide variety of restaurants can be found nearby along Euclid Ave.

All events will be open. You can form teams using this spreadsheet.

To register, please email me at [email protected] with the following information and the subject line "Weekend of Quizbowl Registration":
  • team name and roster
  • events you will be playing
  • number of buzzers and names of any staffers
  • email(s) where we should send logistics information
  • phone number(s) by which we can reach you the day of the tournament
Please note that sending me a Facebook message, replying to this post and/or filling out the team formation spreadsheet will NOT register you for this tournament. The final deadline for registration for the main event will be 11:59 PM on Wednesday, July 24th. Players can register for side events at the tournament, but priority will be given to teams that have already registered. Any staffers not affiliated with a team are welcome as always, and should email us as well. We will provide reasonable compensation.

For teams that drop after the registration deadline, there will be a penalty of $50 per team for the main event, and $5 per player for side events.

fees:
--NASAT base fee: $100/team
--staffer discount: -$20
--buzzer discount: -$5/day
side events:
--first side event: $15/player
--subsequent side events: $10/player
--staffer discount: −$5/event staffed

Please email with me any questions.

As of 7/8: the tournament will now be held at UC Berkeley. A late drop fee has been instituted.
Last edited by rahulkeyal on Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Rahul Keyal
Berkeley '21
Member, ACF
rahulkeyal
Wakka

Re: NorCal Weekend of Quizbowl (July 27-28, 2019)

Post by rahulkeyal »

Gauging the current amount of interest for the side events, I've set the max number of players per team for META, Age of Empires, and RULFO to 3. If you're interested in playing these events, please put your name down (as a free agent or as a team) so we can get a better idea of the number of staffers/rooms necessary to make the event successful!

Additionally, I haven't received any official registrations for the tournament yet - reminder that putting your name down on the spreadsheet does not constitute an official registration, only emailing me does. If you're unsure which side events you're interested / available to compete in, feel free to register for the main event now and confirm side events later. I've updated the announcement to reflect that the final deadline for registering is Wednesday, July 24th.
Rahul Keyal
Berkeley '21
Member, ACF
rahulkeyal
Wakka

Re: NorCal Weekend of Quizbowl (July 27-28, 2019) @ Berkeley

Post by rahulkeyal »

A few more updates:
  • Due to complications with reserving rooms at Stanford during the summer, both days of the tournament will now be held at UC Berkeley, within Cory Hall. We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause.
  • We're in need of many more staffers for NASAT, our main event. As such, I've updated the staffing discount to $20. Please put your name down or email me if you're available to staff!
  • Get those registrations in! I still have not received registrations from the majority of teams that have put their names down on the spreadsheet. Teams that have registered with me are highlighted in green on the spreadsheet.
  • We have added a penalty for late drops from the main and side events, as explained above.
  • We have increased the Age of Empires and META team size back to 4, given the increase in interest.
We look forward to seeing you in a few weeks!
Last edited by rahulkeyal on Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rahul Keyal
Berkeley '21
Member, ACF
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

rahulkeyal wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:52 pm Due to complications with reserving rooms at Stanford during the summer, both days of the tournament will now be held at UC Berkeley, within Cory Hall. We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause.
Ugh, okay. I may be a bit late to the first event on Sunday then.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

Can we do Unanswered Question later in the day? One of my teammates will be driving back from Tahoe in Sunday morning.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

gyre and gimble wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:30 pm Can we do Unanswered Question later in the day? One of my teammates will be driving back from Tahoe in Sunday morning.
Would strongly prefer it not to be last in the day.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
marianna
Rikku

Post by marianna »

I'll be driving from Stanford and back on Sat and Sun - if anyone needs a ride, let me know.
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
Hunter '14 | Chicago '18 | Stanford '24
PACE
rahulkeyal
Wakka

Post by rahulkeyal »

Mike Bentley wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:01 pm
gyre and gimble wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:30 pm Can we do Unanswered Question later in the day? One of my teammates will be driving back from Tahoe in Sunday morning.
Would strongly prefer it not to be last in the day.
Considering that the majority of players interested in Unanswered Question will also be interested in RULFO, I have no issues with swapping Age of Empires and Unanswered Question. Thus, the schedule events will be as in the (updated) main post: Age of Empires -> (probably lunch) -> Unanswered Question -> RULFO.

I plan to send out a logistics email for the weekend to all registered attendees tonight. I'll try my best to include all those who have emailed me to register for the tournament, but if you haven't received a logistics email by mid-day tomorrow, please reach out to me via email (at rahulkeyal AT gmail.com) or via FB.

EDIT: Reminder that official registration closes for the events tomorrow (Wednesday) night, and any drops that are made after that will be subject to late fees, as outlined in the main post. It's OK to show up and play an event that you haven't registered for, but registered teams will be given priority over you. I plan to send out the final batch of logistics emails to late registrants by Thursday evening.
Rahul Keyal
Berkeley '21
Member, ACF
rahulkeyal
Wakka

Post by rahulkeyal »

Thank you everyone for coming out to attend this! Despite a couple hiccups here and there, I think this ran somewhat smoothly, and most people seemed to have a good time.

Stats for all the events can be found here. There are a couple issues with the NASAT stats that I will resolve tonight. If you see other issues, please let me know.

This event wouldn't have been possible with all the help from our moderators, including Austin Brownlow, Justin French, Jeff Hoppes, Karan Gurazada, and Alvin Huang. Special thanks go to Rohin Devanathan and Aseem Keyal, who went above and beyond to make my life much easier leading up to and throughout the weekend. And of course, thank you to all the question writers / editors behind NASAT, META, Age of Empires, Unanswered Question, and RULFO. Every one of these events was a delight to play!
Rahul Keyal
Berkeley '21
Member, ACF
wcheng
Wakka

Post by wcheng »

A big thank you to Berkeley for running this! Overall, the events ran very smoothly (though I can only speak for Saturday) and Rahul did a great job rolling with the logistical punches. I'd be glad to attend/help out at more Berkeley events in the future!
Weijia Cheng (they/them)
Centennial '15
BS @ Maryland '18 (Fall)
MDiv @ BU '27