FONS V (Novice) (NO LONGER AVAILABLE)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
FortOsageScholarBowl
Lulu

FONS V (Novice) (NO LONGER AVAILABLE)

Post by FortOsageScholarBowl »

Fort Osage Scholar Bowl will return with its 5th incarnation for the 2019-2020 school year. Some distribution changes will occur.

4/4 History/Social Sciences
4/4 Literature (1.5/1.5 American, 1/1 British, 1.5/1.5 World, other European,Young Adult)
4/3 Science
2.5/2.5 Fine Arts (1/1 Music, 1/1 Visual Fine Arts, .5/.5 Other FA)
2/2 RMP (1/1 Religion, .5/.5 Myth, .5/.5 Philosophy)
1.5/1.5 Geography
1/1 Trash (this will be drawn from pop. music, movies, TV or sports - will be drawn from something relevant in the past year)
1/1 Current Events (as above, something from the past year)
0.5/0.5 Non-comp. Math (at least one of these will be a tossup or a bonus in every packet)
0.5/0.5 Comp. Science (see above)

Note: each packet will have 21 tossups/20 bonuses per round, the subtracted bonus could come from any category this year). There will be 12 rounds again this year, and questions will run 5-7 lines, with a goal of 6. There will be powers, with an emphasis on better placement this year.

Questions will be written by the Fort Osage Scholar Bowl team. Editors will be Joshua Malecki and Aidan McWilliams. Other collaborators have indicated their interest in helping, so their names will be added as we go.

If you are interested in mirroring this set, it will be $10 per team in attendance at your tournament/event.

Thanks, Josh Malecki

Current Mirrors:
11/7 - FORKAST III - Rounds 1-6
12/5 - FORKAST IV - Rounds 7-12

edit: 6/27: distribution changes and mirrors added.
Last edited by FortOsageScholarBowl on Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Josh Malecki
Fort Osage High School
Pedro/HCHS
Lulu

Re: FONS V (Novice+)

Post by Pedro/HCHS »

Why is there 2.5/2.5 geo? What does "novice+" mean? Why is world and European history only 1/1? Why is there the same amount of social science as world and Euro combined, especially in a "novice+" set? Has any work been taken to avoid answerlines like "frozen lakes (prompt on lakes)," e.g. by hiring, or reaching any sort of agreement with, an outside, experienced editor?
Pedro Juan Orduz
HCHS '21
this username sucks

"No, Pedro"
-Rachel Yang
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Pedro raises some very good points. Based off the history of this set and until these basic minimums of set quality are met, I'd caution against mirroring this set.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
db0wman
Wakka

Post by db0wman »

Is there a reason that science is 4/3?
Dylan Bowman
Uni '20; Illinois '23
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

db0wman wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:19 am Is there a reason that science is 4/3?
It's actually 5/4. See the last two lines. Also, the total is 22/21, but the post says the total is 22/20.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Ozymandias314
Lulu

Post by Ozymandias314 »

Deviant Insider wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:44 am
It's actually 5/4. See the last two lines. Also, the total is 22/21, but the post says the total is 22/20.
I think the post implies that they will be "subtracting a bonus", so it will be 22/20...if we're really entertaining this thought
Vincent Fan
Phillips Academy '20 (Captain 2018-2020)
MIT '24
Yes yes yes, I started "is quinterest.org down?"
jij03
Lulu

Post by jij03 »

Pedro/HCHS wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:12 am Why is there 2.5/2.5 geo?
Pedro,

Here's what I can tell you

We reduced the number of Geo because of the complaints that arose when we had 3/3.

My coach enjoys writing Cross link questions (your example). I can't confirm that there will be an effort to reduce the number of tossups in that style, but I will have a conversation with my coach about doing so.

Also, I'm making an effort to improve the "Reverse Pyramidal" effect of FONS, as that's an issue that comes up frequently.

Thanks for your comments.
Aidan McWilliams
Fort Osage '21
Mizzou '25
jij03
Lulu

Post by jij03 »

Pedro/HCHS wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:12 am Experienced editor?
So far, Matt Mitchell, Eric Mukherjee, and David Dennis (Washington MO) have agreed to assist me in evaluating the set. I am not sure if they will be on staff (paid), but I will make sure the packets go through them after editing occurs. and get a mention if they do help out.
Aidan McWilliams
Fort Osage '21
Mizzou '25
jij03
Lulu

Post by jij03 »

Ozymandias314 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:07 am
Deviant Insider wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:44 am
I think the post implies that they will be "subtracting a bonus", so it will be 22/20...if we're really entertaining this thought
The thought is that this will allow for a Tie breaker. Another system could be implemented though
Aidan McWilliams
Fort Osage '21
Mizzou '25
jij03
Lulu

Post by jij03 »

Hey Folks,
Feel free to PM me with questions, Try to be brief. Or talk to me over discord.
Aidan McWilliams
Fort Osage '21
Mizzou '25
FortOsageScholarBowl
Lulu

Re: FONS V (Novice)

After much thought, we have decided to shut down FONS V for the year, with no intention of returning soon. With all the sets around, we've been lost in the shuffle. Hopefully, everyone who was looking for sets finds what they want for the year. It has been a tumultuous 4 years, but we will continue our AUX Cord Trash set, and maybe some other Trash items. As for the commentary regarding FONS, I'll reserve comment with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9mf3Bypyk8
Josh Malecki
Fort Osage High School
a Joe
Rikku

Post by a Joe »

You sound like this lady (warning: language).

"Oh yeah, our set stinks and our customers hate it, as they have for years, but yeah, let's keep doing the same thing because I'm always right!"

Yes, it DOES REALLY MATTER to the people who are playing your set and the TDs who have to pay for these questions. So yeah, screw you too. FONS won't be missed.
"THE" Joe Feldman
President, The Long Island Quiz Bowl Alliance
President, Suffolk County Community College Traveling Trivia Team
Founder, American Quizbowl League
President Emeritus, Smithtown High School West

Ask me how I (almost) monopolized Quizbowl
FortOsageScholarBowl
Lulu

Clearly a Camp Mohawk supporter...
Josh Malecki