Southern California 2019-2020 Scheduling Discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
kady
Lulu

Southern California 2019-2020 Scheduling Discussion

Post by kady »

My time organizing Southern California Quizbowl is coming to a close, and I just want to start by thanking everyone for the most amazing last few quizbowl seasons! Quizbowl has definitely become a community that I love and feel such a sense of belonging in, and it has definitely played a big role in shaping the last 3 years of my life. Our friend Rohan Venkateswaran will be directing SoCal Quizbowl next season. After summer, he will be our main person of contact for the HS and MS circuits for this upcoming season! He can be reached via Facebook and/or at [email protected]

With that being said, I would like the start getting the ball rolling for next year’s schedule. Let’s aim to have around one tournament a month for the high school circuit, and three tournaments total for the middle school circuit. We also should try to have 3 NHBB tournaments this season with one in OC, SD, and LA. Additionally, let’s do our best to avoid hosting tournaments on major holidays, SAT, and ACT dates. Two tournaments should not be hosted on the same day, whether it be NHBB+HS, HS+MS, or MS+NHBB. A shortage in staffers and/or buzzers would not be good.

If your school is interested in hosting a tournament, please reply to this post below and comment what date as well as a few backup dates that your school would be interested in hosting on. Prospective hosts, please keep in mind a few things for this season:
  • If you are a school with a smaller quizbowl program, finding a sufficient number of staffers will be a challenge. Ideally, field sizes should be no less than 10-12, allowing schools and teams more opportunities to compete. Pulling staffers from non quizbowl programs (i.e. NHS, Key Club) is OK, but you MUST make sure they know the rules in and out before the day of the tournament, not the morning of.
  • On the topic of field sizes, PLEASE be sure to DO OUTREACH. If you do not email teams, message people, post on the Facebook group, or announce your tournament at least 1.5 months ahead of time, you may struggle filling up your field. Announcing tournaments late and a lack of outreach harms the growth of the circuit as it makes it significantly more difficult for newer teams to register and prepare for a tournament last minute. Our circuit grows and thrives with new teams and bigger tournaments, please announce tournaments early and do outreach!
  • Want to host a tournament but you’re unsure if you will be able to do it all? There are numerous resources on socalquizbowl.org for new and experienced hosts. Please be sure to refer to the tournament hosting guides as they have a lot of incredibly helpful and crucial information!
Feel free to contact me ([email protected]) with any questions, concerns or comments! I hope you all have the best season!
Kady Hsu
Rancho Bernardo '19
Berkeley '23
PACE
https://socalquizbowl.org/
kady
Lulu

Re: Southern California 2019-2020 Scheduling Discussion

Post by kady »

As of 8/29/19, this schedule is up to date.

7 September:
14 September: ACT
21 September:
28 September:

5 October: SAT
12 October: PPT III @ Canyon Crest (NAQT IS-186/NAQT IS-185A)
19 October: BONoBo I @ Westview (SCOP10 Novice)
26 October: ACT / OASIS III @ Olympian (2019 NAQT SSNCT)

2 November: SAT
9 November: Triton Fall VIII @ UCSD (HFT XIV/NAQT IS-187A)
16 November:
23 November: ACE XIII (NAQT IS-188)
30 November: THANKSGIVING

7 December: SAT
14 December: ACT / WINTER @ Westview (NAQT MS-31)
21 December: WINTER BREAK
28 December: WINTER BREAK

4 January: Bronco Bowl Jr II @ Rancho Bernardo (NAQT MS-32)
11 January: Triton Winter VIII @ UCSD (LOGIC)
18 January:
25 January: DNE @ Del Norte (BLAST/NAQT IS-191A)

1 February:
8 February: ACT / NAQT SoCal States @ UCSD (NAQT IS-192)
15 February:
22 February: NEGFIVE II @ North Hollywood (NAQT IS-190/NAQT IS-189A)
29 February:

7 March: Scripps Academic Tournament @ Scripps Ranch (WAIT)
14 March: SAT / tbd MS tournament (NAQT MS-33)
21 March:
28 March: ReKT III @ WVHS (CALISTO)

4 April: ACT
11 April: NeATo I @ Del Norte (RAFT)
18 April:
25 April: Triton Spring X @ UCSD (BHSAT XXIX/IS-193A)

2 May: SAT
9 May:
16 May: Triton Prenats @ UCSD (TBD)
23 May:
30 May:
Last edited by kady on Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:51 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Kady Hsu
Rancho Bernardo '19
Berkeley '23
PACE
trandysan
Kimahri

Post by trandysan »

I'd like to host a middle school tournament at RB on January 4th. Some backup dates are February 15th, 22th, and 29th. Thanks!
Sandy Tran
Rancho Bernardo '20
goldskies7120
Lulu

Post by goldskies7120 »

Can we (Del Norte) do January 11 or 18 for a double-div (DNE III) and sometime in April (maybe 11th) for a varsity tournament?
Keerthana Sundar
Del Norte HS '20
vrohan
Wakka

Post by vrohan »

For Westview, I’m thinking of hosting WINTER II (MS) in late November or early December. I also want to run 2 one-division tournaments instead of our usual two-division tournament. I’m thinking of a JV-only tournament run on SCOP Novice in September or October, and then ReKT III on a housewrite in March as usual.
Rohan Venkateswaran
UC Berkeley '24
Westview High '20
Black Mountain Middle '16

Co-Coach, Meadowbrook Middle 2017-2020

http://socalquizbowl.org
TheScientists
Lulu

Post by TheScientists »

kady wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:28 pm We also should try to have 3 NHBB tournaments this season with one in OC, SD, and LA.
Regarding having 3 NHBB events, would the OC event be running B Set, or C Set?
My two cents here, but an OC event isn't really gonna be ideal to have simply cause the "local" OC circuit is pretty miniscule compared to SD or LA.
Say if a tournament were hosted in OC, it'll be best to have it on C Set to attract more teams from the OC area.
TheScientists
Lulu

Post by TheScientists »

On another note - how many HSNCT qualifying events will be in SoCal?
joshxu
Lulu

Post by joshxu »

TheScientists wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:01 pm On another note - how many HSNCT qualifying events will be in SoCal?
There are usually tournaments run on every IS set in the season, so probably at least four. In years past there have also been SSNCT and SCT D-2 mirrors in SoCal.
Josh Xu

Santa Monica High School (Class of 2021, Captain, Team President)
UCLA (Class of 2025)
kady
Lulu

Post by kady »

TheScientists wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:52 pm
kady wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:28 pm We also should try to have 3 NHBB tournaments this season with one in OC, SD, and LA.
Regarding having 3 NHBB events, would the OC event be running B Set, or C Set?
My two cents here, but an OC event isn't really gonna be ideal to have simply cause the "local" OC circuit is pretty miniscule compared to SD or LA.
Say if a tournament were hosted in OC, it'll be best to have it on C Set to attract more teams from the OC area.
The OC area would just be a better drive for people in LA. Finding a host there may be challenging, but I think the goal here is centralized location. This could also be a decent opportunity for outreach as we used to have a decent number of active OC schools.

I'd agree with OC being run on the C set.
Kady Hsu
Rancho Bernardo '19
Berkeley '23
PACE
kady
Lulu

Post by kady »

Dates for WV, RB, and DN look pretty good. Please book those dates in the fall! Still looking for some OC+LA hosts, let's try to have at 2-3 tournaments in LA and maybe 1-2 in OC so we can grow this circuit!
Kady Hsu
Rancho Bernardo '19
Berkeley '23
PACE
vrohan
Wakka

Post by vrohan »

TheScientists wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 4:01 pm On another note - how many HSNCT qualifying events will be in SoCal?
For the record, this past year we ran events with every IS set, along with SSNCT. I plan to ensure the same thing happens next year, possibly with SCT DII or ICT being mirrored as well if possible.
Rohan Venkateswaran
UC Berkeley '24
Westview High '20

Shion
Kimahri

Post by Shion »

For North Hollywood, we would like to host a two-division IS tournament on February 22 or 29th.
Shion Murakawa
NoHo '21
kady
Lulu

Post by kady »

The calendar has been updated with tentative dates for the 2019-2020 season. We are still looking for more hosts! Please reply to this post if you would be interested in hosting a MS, HS, or NHBB tournament.
Kady Hsu
Rancho Bernardo '19
Berkeley '23
PACE
vrohan
Wakka

Post by vrohan »

The 2019-2020 tournament calendar is complete and can be found here. The dates are currently tentative.
Rohan Venkateswaran
UC Berkeley '24
Westview High '20

TylerV
Wakka

Post by TylerV »

IAC is happy to announce it is holding the following tournaments in the region:

Varsity / JV

Teams may register at this link and find more information about a tournament on the tournament page here. The registration deadline is 7pm Eastern time on the (usually it’s a) Friday 8 days before the tournament or 7pm Eastern time the (usually it’s a) Monday before the tournament for an additional $10 late fee per team. There are no registration deadlines for individual events (i.e. walk ins are welcome; please arrive 15 minutes before the beginning of the Bee / Exams as per the schedule on the tournament page).

We will be holding the Varsity / JV National Qualifying Exams for the US Geography Championships / International Geography Bee, US History Bee, (new!) National Science Bee and (new!) National Political Science Bee during the first part of the lunch break. Those who take exam(s) should do the exam(s) first, and then eat afterwards - there will be time to do so. These are 50-question, 20-minute time limit multiple-choice tests - it's $10 per student per Exam. Important Note! - You CAN do 3 or 4 exams, but you still only have a maximum of 40 minutes to take these. You can also do other exams at our upcoming B and A Set tournaments or with a proctor at your school / homeschool association.

If you have further questions about any of these, please email our tournament coordinator, Marshall Mullins, at [email protected]
Tyler Vaughan
UW-Platteville, Rock Valley, UIUC 2014-2017
Southern New Hampshire University 2020 - ?

"God the automatic cat feeder might be the best invention ever" - Brad McLain
FJOIII
Lulu

Post by FJOIII »

IAC is happy to announce it is holding the following tournaments in the region:

Varsity / JV
Greater Los Angeles - North Hollywood High School - Saturday, March 7th - on our B Set.
I'm not representing Scripps Ranch in any official capacity, but would you consider moving this date to Sunday, March 8th, or some other substitute date? Scripps Ranch High School has been slated to host Scripps Academic Tournament (SAT) using the WAIT (hs regs) set on March 7th since at least September (the SoCal quizbowl schedule can be seen here: https://socalquizbowl.org/). Though the two tournaments potentially could share a date, there would almost certainly be some cannibalization of the fields (in particular, Arcadia, Westview, and CCA each have a history of attending SoCal NHBB events, and also attended last year's iteration of the Scripps Academic Tournament).
Frederic O'Hara, he/him
SRHS, Class of 2021
Miramar CC, Class of 2022
UCLA, Class of 2024
SoCal Quizbowl