DATE POLL: ILLIAC Collegiate/Open Online Mirror

Old college threads.

What days would you work for you for an online mirror of ILLIAC?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:18 pm

April 27 or 28
18%
May 11 or 12
22%
May 18 or 19
53%
Other date (please specify below)
7%

Total votes: 55

Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

DATE POLL: ILLIAC Collegiate/Open Online Mirror

Post by Father of the Ragdoll »

Hello everyone, since a few in person mirrors had to be cancelled, and a few regions ended up not having mirrors to play, we are looking to host an online mirror of ILLIAC. Additionally, please give your feedback as to whether you would prefer that this be a closed or open mirror.
Last edited by Father of the Ragdoll on Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
The University of Texas at Austin - Ph.D. Human Development and Family Sciences, 202X; M.S. Social Work, 2021
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - B.S. Psychology, 2019
Rockford Auburn High School - 2015
Romanos I Lekapenos
Lulu

Re: DATE POLL: ILLIAC Collegiate/Open Online Mirror

Post by Romanos I Lekapenos »

Are high schoolers allowed to play in this tournament? I wasn't able to attend the Groger Ranks HS-only mirror.
Robert Muñiz
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Although I'm not sure I'd be able to make anything other than a May 19th mirror starting at or after noon, I'd love an open mirror where superteams are broken up.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I'd personally like to play this tournament, but also recognize that open Discord fields are pretty intimidating to much of the target audience for this tournament.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Mike Bentley wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:26 am I'd personally like to play this tournament, but also recognize that open Discord fields are pretty intimidating to much of the target audience for this tournament.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

I'm interested in playing this tournament either solo or with some of my future teammates - maybe we could have two separate mirrors? One for the traditional "Discord Open" audience and another for a less intimidating field?

I can only play this coming weekend and the following one, though.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

theclassicsguy wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:23 am Are high schoolers allowed to play in this tournament? I wasn't able to attend the Groger Ranks HS-only mirror.
High schoolers are for sure going to be allowed. We are deliberating on whether this will be a true open tournament or open as in no same school teammate requirements. If there is sufficient interest we are open to a true open and a partial open mirror to avoid veteran players clobbering people on easier questions.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
The University of Texas at Austin - Ph.D. Human Development and Family Sciences, 202X; M.S. Social Work, 2021
kitakule
Wakka

Post by kitakule »

Two separate mirrors could be a good idea. People who want the closed mirror can play that one, and open players and those who don't mind have their own option too. However, it'd probably necessitate another series of polls to determine dates.
Moses Kitakule
ESA '15
Yale '19
Columbia '28 (???)
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I should also note that my vote is for 5/18-5/19 but 5/19 would work much better for me.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Given the timing of this tournament, is one's affiliation for thi sevent the school they played for in the 2018-2019 academic year, or the upcoming 2019-2020 academic year? I am also a bit confused on the nature of the closed mirror. Will it be for both closed high school and collegiate teams?
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Hey everyone, we will be running our online mirror on May 18th (announcement to come). This will be intended for undergrads and other less dominant players. Teams are allowed to be open (as in players need not attend the same institution and may be former college students, high schoolers, middle schoolers, parents, etc, but we reserve the right to break up "super teams" and (if necessary) may prevent extremely good players from playing if them playing would be to the detriment of the rest of the field. For more experienced players, Will Alston is running a true open mirror on May 4th. If you have any questions about this feel free to send me a message on facebook, here, email, etc.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Illinois Admin wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:07 am Hey everyone, we will be running our online mirror on May 18th (announcement to come). This will be intended for undergrads and other less dominant players. Teams are allowed to be open (as in players need not attend the same institution and may be former college students, high schoolers, middle schoolers, parents, etc, but we reserve the right to break up "super teams" and (if necessary) may prevent extremely good players from playing if them playing would be to the detriment of the rest of the field. For more experienced players, Will Alston is running a true open mirror on May 4th. If you have any questions about this feel free to send me a message on facebook, here, email, etc.
Hey, I'm interested in playing this mirror, as my cousin is getting married on the 4th so can't make that mirror. Would me playing be okay, assuming I team up with players roughly my ability (e.g. my Penn Bowl team with JJ Tsai, Matt Mitchell, and Corry Wang)?
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
John Ketzkorn
Wakka

Post by John Ketzkorn »

ryanrosenberg wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:21 am
Illinois Admin wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:07 am Hey everyone, we will be running our online mirror on May 18th (announcement to come). This will be intended for undergrads and other less dominant players. Teams are allowed to be open (as in players need not attend the same institution and may be former college students, high schoolers, middle schoolers, parents, etc, but we reserve the right to break up "super teams" and (if necessary) may prevent extremely good players from playing if them playing would be to the detriment of the rest of the field. For more experienced players, Will Alston is running a true open mirror on May 4th. If you have any questions about this feel free to send me a message on facebook, here, email, etc.
Hey, I'm interested in playing this mirror, as my cousin is getting married on the 4th so can't make that mirror. Would me playing be okay, assuming I team up with players roughly my ability (e.g. my Penn Bowl team with JJ Tsai, Matt Mitchell, and Corry Wang)?
(I assume you mean Sun God, and) I have no problem with this.
Michael Etzkorn
Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy '16
UIUC '21
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

John Ketzkorn wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:27 pm
ryanrosenberg wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:21 am
(I assume you mean Sun God, and) I have no problem with this.
Oof, meant that to be a PM. Good to know, though -- it can often be hard to define skill-level-based restrictions.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

When will a thread for the collegiate mirror go up? My team and I would like to register.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Progcon wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:06 pm When will a thread for the collegiate mirror go up? My team and I would like to register.
Tomorrow night or so.
Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)
Father of the Ragdoll
Rikku

Brad Maclaine, McLain
(they/them)