Michigan Discussion and Schedule 2018-2019

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
EulerAlert
Lulu

Michigan Discussion and Schedule 2018-2019

Post by EulerAlert »

Well, it looks like this is about when the Michigan discussion was posted last year so why not start this year's up now, sorry if any of you were planning on starting a similar topic or if I posted this too early.

If anyone is aware of/hosting any tournaments, wants to discuss Michigan quizbowl or the like post here.

I guess I'll start. South's team is going to be mostly Seniors next year, and we have decided to actually try and go to tournaments this coming year. Unfortunately, due to us having played a grand total of three pyramidal matches (and being upperclassmen) it looks like we're disqualified from most novice tournaments, so does anyone know of any tournaments early in the year that would be good for getting a feel for pyramidal quizbowl/seeing how good we are?
Jason
CGismondiCC
Wakka

Re: Michigan Discussion and Schedule 2018-2019

Post by CGismondiCC »

This might be a little last minute for you and your teammates, but we (Detroit Catholic Central) are hosting a quiz bowl summer camp for middle school and high school this coming Friday and Saturday, August 3rd and 4th from 9am to 1pm. The cost is $50 to register and we offer classes/tips/guides for most of the major quiz bowl categories. The link to registration information is here: https://www.catholiccentral.net/page/summer-camps
Christopher J. Gismondi, Detroit Catholic Catholic Central Head Coach
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Hey Jason,

It's great to see the Grosse Pointe quizbowl cabal is growing!

I will add a calendar to this post after I confirm some things. Few dates have been announced for the collegiate calendar which more-or-less dictates what is going on with us and University of Michigan. I have also heard about a novice event in Monroe, but Aleija would have to confirm.

To all: let me know if you have any questions about quizbowl in Michigan or I guess Southeast Michigan specifically.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
mjoy
Lulu

Post by mjoy »

Feel like a trip to the beautiful UP? We (Northern Michigan University quiz bowl) and our friendly rivals at Michigan Tech will, in all likelihood, each host one high school tournament this year, using NAQT questions.

Details will be posted here, to be sure. Questions about NMU, NMU Quiz Bowl, or the NMU Honors Program can be directed to me at any time: [email protected].
Michael Joy
Faculty Advisor/"Coach"/Travel Agent
Northern Michigan University Quiz Bowl
tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

Aleija Rodriguez
University of Michigan 202x
MCMC/MCCC 2019
CPiGuy
Auron

Post by CPiGuy »

Some people have been asking, so: the NAQT Michigan State Championship will be held at U-M on either March 23rd or March 30th, depending on the date of an as-yet-unannounced college tournament. We will use either D2 SCT or IS-183 if available (which NAQT have told us it might be after all).
Conor Thompson (he/it)
Bangor High School '16
University of Michigan '20
Iowa State University '25
Tournament Format Database
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

This the yearly reminder that MSU's Alumni Distinguished Scholarship test is happening this weekend. For this and future years, I'd invite quizbowlers to sit for the test as there appears to be a correlation between doing quizbowl and scoring well on the test. We are fortunate enough to have had several ADS winners (full tuition, room and board) on our team throughout the years, and any of them would be glad to talk to high school students interested in Michigan State. Please PM me for more details. It is a great opportunity and I wish all the students sitting for the test good luck this weekend.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

At this time, I hope to be able to run a NASAT tryout at University of Michigan's NAQT Michigan Championship on March 30. If you would like to be considered for the team but cannot attend, please send me a short email. I will likely be running this tryout on Spartan Housewrite, a regular difficulty college tournament.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
letsgotrojans
Kimahri

Post by letsgotrojans »

We keep running into this team called Leelanau. Getting destroyed... they were founded 2 years ago and are winning... everything? Who are they?
https://www.naqt.com/stats/school/resu ... _id=91137

User was reminded to enable a signature.
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

letsgotrojans wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:43 pm We keep running into this team called Leelanau. Getting destroyed... they were founded 2 years ago and are winning... everything? Who are they?
https://www.naqt.com/stats/school/resu ... _id=91137

User was reminded to enable a signature.
One of their better players used to attend Country Day.

More importantly, I'd ask players interested in trying out for NASAT to email me at harrisbunker AT gmail DOT com. If interest is high, we may have to use two readers. This tryout will take at most 2 hours and will be held after NAQT Michigan which will take place at University of Michigan's Ann Arbor campus.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Only a handful of students have contacted me about NASAT. I'd like at least 8 or so students to try out so we can form the strongest team possible. I plan on helping to prepare the team this year as I want Michigan to do as well at NASAT as possible. Email me if you are interested in trying out at NAQT states or you would like consideration and cannot attend the tryout.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
josephchung
Lulu

Post by josephchung »

Okemos is hosting a tournament on April 20th and will be reading the RMBAT 2019 Packet. I'm posting the link so that more teams can sign up and hope to see you all then!

http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22512
Joseph Chung
Okemos High School '19
tksaleija
Wakka

Post by tksaleija »

josephchung wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:57 am Okemos is hosting a tournament on April 20th and will be reading the RMBAT 2019 Packet. I'm posting the link so that more teams can sign up and hope to see you all then!

http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22512
Is there a field for this yet?
Aleija Rodriguez
University of Michigan 202x
MCMC/MCCC 2019
josephchung
Lulu

Post by josephchung »

I'll update the post!
Joseph Chung
Okemos High School '19
josephchung
Lulu

Post by josephchung »

By chance, will there be a SSNCT mirror this year in Michigan? I hope there is because it would be fairly good practice for nationals.
Joseph Chung
Okemos High School '19
Woody
Lulu

Post by Woody »

Would also love to see a mirror of SSNCT in Michigan, though it's probably a bit late for that to get organized.
Jimmy Dunn
DeWitt High School Quiz Bowl 2004-2009
Michigan State University 2009-2013
DeWitt High School Quiz Bowl Coach 2017-present
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

I sent an email to the relevant parties, but I'd like to congratulate the following players on being selected to the Michigan 2019 NASAT team:

Jason Lewis, Grosse Pointe South
James Stephenson, Grosse Pointe South
Aleija Rodriguez, Monroe County Middle College
Drew Kiesling, DeWitt High School

I hope and expect this team to put in a good showing at NASAT in June and would encourage the players to let me know if they can attend ASAP.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Progcon wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:19 pm I sent an email to the relevant parties, but I'd like to congratulate the following players on being selected to the Michigan 2019 NASAT team:

Jason Lewis, Grosse Pointe South
James Stephenson, Grosse Pointe South
Aleija Rodriguez, Monroe County Middle College
Drew Kiesling, DeWitt High School

I hope and expect this team to put in a good showing at NASAT in June and would encourage the players to let me know if they can attend ASAP.
Drew can't make it so I am pleased to have Allan VanZandt from Divine Child as our fourth player. I sent out an email today to the player asking for additional details.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired