2019 NAQT SCT Southeast @ Auburn (2/9/19)

Old college threads.
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

2019 NAQT SCT Southeast @ Auburn (2/9/19)

Post by Zealots of Stockholm »

Hello! I am happy to announce that Auburn University (Auburn, AL) will be hosting the Southeast site of NAQT's Sectional Championship Tournament (SCT) on February 9, 2019.

The tournament will take place at the Haley Center. The address for the building is 351 W Thach. Parking will be available at the stadium deck, which is the pink and navy lot marked "D" on this map: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source= ... 5702903243.

If you need any help with travel to Auburn, parking, or lodging email me!

Entry Fees and Discounts:
Base Registration Fee: $135.00 per team
New Program (SCT) Discount: $20.00 per team. A program is considered new if no team from its school competed in an SCT, CC SCT, ICT, or CCCT in either of the two previous full competition years.
Buzzer System Discount: $10.00 each
Team-Provided Staff Discount: $40.00 each. Must be approved by the tournament director (NAQT rules request that readers be able to complete a 22 question round in 21 minutes).
Multiple-Team Discount: $25.00 per team after the first

The deadline for confirmed registration closes one week before the tournament (2/2/19), teams attempting to register after that will only be accepted if we have room and ample staff.

Payment can be made in cash or via a check addressed to “Auburn Quiz Bowl.” Payment must be made on the day of the tournament. Any team that needs an invoice in advance should email me as soon as they would like one.

You can register at this link: https://www.naqt.com/registration/field ... t_id=10250. It would be appreciated if you also emailed me at [email protected].

Eligibility:
This tournament will have two separate divisions (unless there are fewer than 4 D1 teams), which will use different question sets. To determine which division your team is eligible to play in, see NAQT's Division II policy.

Food:
There are food options in the Student Center adjacent to Haley, including Chick-fil-A, Steak and Shake, and Starbucks.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Vanderbilt University '22
Auburn University '20
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) '16
Full Member, ACF; Member, PACE
Writer/editor, ACF, PACE, IQBT
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Re: 2019 NAQT SCT Southeast @ Auburn (2/9/19)

Field:
Division I:
Alabama (1)
Georgia (1)

Division II:
Alabama (1)
Auburn (1)
Auburn-Montgomery (1)
Carson-Newman (1)
Clemson (2)
Georgia (2)
Georgia Tech (2)
Louisville (2)
Mississippi (4)

last updated 2/4/19
Last edited by Zealots of Stockholm on Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Auburn University '20
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

The field is up to date. We are currently sitting at 17 teams, and would love to have an 18th team. If not, we'll field a solo house team in D1.

Also, if you're in the area and are available to staff, we'd love to have you!
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Auburn University '20
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Here's the logistics email I just sent to teams; let me know if you didn't get it!

Hello all,

This is the full logistics email for NAQT SCT @ Auburn this Saturday, February 9. If I forget to include anything in here please don't hesitate to email me.

If you are no longer attending this tournament, please let me know ASAP.

The tournament will take place at the Haley Center. The address for the building is 351 W Thach Concourse Auburn, AL 36849. Parking will be available at the stadium deck, which is the pink and navy lot marked "D" on this map: http://media.al.com/montgomery/photo/pa ... 8e08d9.jpg.
THE TOURNAMENT'S OPENING MEETING WILL BE HELD IN HALEY 2370.
Please also note that the stadium deck is about a 5-10 minute walk to the Haley Center.

Tournament schedule:
The tournament will begin at 9:00 sharp. Please arrive in Auburn between 8:20-8:45 AM. If you have/are a staffer, please arrive by 8:30. Please note that Auburn is in the central time zone (CST). We expect the tournament to end by 5:00, 6:00 at the latest. There will be a break for lunch, which teams can get at the student center next to Haley. Options include Chick-fil-A, Starbucks, and a convenience store.

Tournament format:
We have 16 teams in D2 and 2 teams in D1. Therefore, we will be doing a combined field. The format will be 2 prelim pools of 9 (8 games in 9 rounds), followed by a rebracketed playoff. Teams will be rebracketed into 3 brackets of 6, and play the 3 teams that weren't in their prelim pool (3 more games in 3 rounds, for 11 games in 12 rounds total). An overall champion, D1 champion, and D2 champion must be named, and an advantaged final will be played if necessary. We are asking that all teams stay for the 3 playoff rounds.

Book prizes will be awarded to the top 10 scorers after prelims, and to the top overall and top D2 team at the end of the tournament.

A note about questions:
Teams will receive a printed copy of the questions for the division(s) which they are registered for. If you would like a copy of the D1 questions but are not registered for D1, I can give you a copy for $10, but you must let me know by about 2:00 P.M. tomorrow (Thursday, Feb 7).

Also, a friendly reminder to please bring buzzers if you are signed up to bring them.

In case of emergency, my phone number is [redacted]. Feel free to call me with any issues late Friday night or Saturday morning such as trouble finding parking, trouble finding the room, can't make it last minute, etc.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I look forward to seeing all of you Saturday!

Thank you,
Chandler West
Auburn University
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Auburn University '20
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

This happened!

Stats can be found here: http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/55 ... _field%29/.

Georgia B beat Georgia Tech A in a one game final to take the D2 title and our overall title!
Georgia A beat Alabama A in a one game final to take the D1 title.
Georgia Tech B and Clemson A rounded out our top bracket.

Thanks to all teams for coming today, several outside staffers for helping out, and my apologies in getting packets and buzzers returned to teams after our playoffs had concluded.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Auburn University '20