DATE MOVED Virginia NAQT States at UVa, April 13, 2019 - DII SCT

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Reesefulgenzi
Lulu

DATE MOVED Virginia NAQT States at UVa, April 13, 2019 - DII SCT

Post by Reesefulgenzi »

The Academic Competition Club at UVA will be hosting the 2019 NAQT States tournament on April 13, 2019 using NAQT SCT DII. We will not be using computational math tossups or bonuses at this event.

Location: This tournament will be held in New Cabell Hall at the University of Virginia campus in Charlottesville, Virginia. Registration will take place from 8 AM to 8:45 AM. We will update the post with our control room.

Affiliation: The top 15% of the field will automatically qualify for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament, which will take place this year the the Atlanta Marriott Marquis in Georgia from May 24–26, 2019, which is Memorial Day weekend. More information about HSNCT will be provided to teams at the tournament proper. This tournament also usually receives a Platinum Certification from the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence, or PACE. This generally qualifies the top 25% of teams to attend the National Scholastic Championship. More information about the NSC will be provided to teams at the tournament proper.

Parking: There is a decent-sized parking lot quite close to NCH. An address you can plug into a GPS that will get you close to this lot is 400 Brandon Avenue, Charlottesville, VA. That address is for the Elson Student Health Center, which will be on your left as you turn onto Brandon from Jefferson Park Avenue. Student Health also has a parking lot but threatens to tow without a UVA permit. The lot I suggest is past Student Health on Brandon Ave and will be on the right. There is currently construction in this parking lot; an additional lot that will be available is behind Clark Hall and in front of Kerchof Hall, off of McCormick Road.

Team size: There can be a maximum number of 6 players on each team’s roster, with substitutions possible at half-time and between games. If you wish to bring 7 or 8 players, we ask that you register a second team and so on for anyone with larger numbers of players.

Food: There is a buffet-style dining hall near New Cabell Hall that will be open on this date. A list of other local food options will be available for each team on the day of the tournament itself. We will not be providing breakfast or lunch for teams.

Fee structure:
Base fee: $75 per team
Buzzer discount: $5 for each system on which the control box and 8 buzzers work.
Staff discount: $20 for a competent moderator; $10 for a scorekeeper. The Academic Competition Club reserves the right to decide which moderators to accept for the discount.
Travel discount (150 miles or more, one way): $10
Minimum fee: $50

To official register for this tournament, or if you have any questions concerning the tournament, please email me, Reese Fulgenzi, at [email protected]. Checks should be made out to “Academic Competition Club,” and are heavily preferred. Please pay either in advance or, preferably, on the day of the tournament. If you wish to pay in advance, please indicate this in your registration and I will send you an address. Likewise, please let me know if you will need an invoice.

The current tournament cap is 28 teams.

Congratulations to Aaron Burr A!
Last edited by Reesefulgenzi on Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:52 am, edited 13 times in total.
Reese Fulgenzi
Loudoun County High School, 2015
University of Virginia, 2019
University of Chicago, 202x
Abdon Ubidia
Wakka

Re: Virginia NAQT States at UVa, March 23, 2019 - DII SCT

Post by Abdon Ubidia »

Are out of state teams permitted to compete at this tournament?
Anson Berns
Montgomery Blair '19
Brown '23
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

ansonberns wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:53 am Are out of state teams permitted to compete at this tournament?
They historically have been.
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

We will be running NASAT tryouts for Team(s) Virginia after the tournament using Terrapin XXX. We will be charging $10 a player for trying out, all of which will be sent to the UMD team as mirror fees for individual players. Category buzzes will be taken into account, and a final decision on team composition will be made less than a week after tryouts.

Individuals interested in trying out for NASAT but who are not planning on attending NAQT States should either plan on arriving after the tournament ends (~5 or 6pm) or should email me at [email protected] with their qualifications, subject area expertises, and stats from best performances throughout their Quizbowl careers. Looking forward to seeing everyone in Charlottesville in March!
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
jenniferseavey
Kimahri

Re: DATE MOVED Virginia NAQT States at UVa, March 23, 2019 - DII SCT

Post by jenniferseavey »

Please let me know when you have a new date. I am sponsor of this event for TJ.

Jennifer Seavey
[email protected]
Jennifer Seavey
TJ
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

Hello everyone. I know some of you had your hearts set on playing quizbowl this weekend. If you are still interested, Cave Spring is running their annual Roanoke Classic this Saturday at the Cave Spring MIDDLE School. It is a small, unique but fun event. It's an OPEN tournament. We offer complimentary breakfast AND lunch with your registration fee (all either catered by local restaurants and/or team moms). Instead of books for individual prizes, we offer prizes we've procured from local businesses and communities. We also supplement the IS-184A set with five adult trash tossups and bonus questions. If you are interested in participating or want more information, please e-mail Bob Powers at [email protected]. Thank you!
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
(2022 - ?) Tournament Director, Blacksburg HS
(2021 - 2022) Scholastic Bowl coach, Eastern Montgomery HS
(2005 - 2020) Scholastic Bowl coach, Cave Spring HS
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

As an unfortunate side consequence of us having to move the tournament, I will no longer be able to coordinate NASAT tryouts for Team Virginia, since I will be competing at either D-I ICT or ACF Nationals. Interested individuals should send their information to Reese Fulgenzi at [email protected] instead.
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23