QuBIT V @ High Tech - Feb. 9, 2019

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
SirMrGuy
Lulu

QuBIT V @ High Tech - Feb. 9, 2019

Post by SirMrGuy »

High Technology High School is pleased to announce our fifth annual Quiz Bowl Invitational Tournament (QuBIT V), which will take place on Saturday, February 9th, 2019. We'll be mirroring 2019 RMBAT, a housewrite by Richard Montgomery High School and Montgomery Blair High School.

QuBIT V will be held at High Technology High School, 765 Newman Springs Road, Lincroft, NJ 07738. Free Parking will be available in our lot, as well as in Brookdale Community College, parking lot #4.

On the day of the tournament, teams can sign in from 8:00 AM to 8:30 AM; after the opening meeting, we're aiming to start at around 9 AM.

There will be trophies for the top four teams, as well as book prizes for the top ten scorers in the prelims.

Registration
Registration for this tournament will only be accepted through this form, which will be kept open until the end of February 7th.

Note: Our school district requests a certificate of insurance from each participating school before the day of competition. This no-cost certificate of insurance is requested through your school business office, asking your insurance company to issue a certificate indicating that the students are covered by insurance when participating at QuBIT. Further details regarding this will be sent after you register for the tournament.

Question Set
We will be mirroring 2019 RMBAT. More information can be found here.

Format
The field has a soft cap of 24 28 teams. If there is enough demand, we may expand at a later date. The field is now hard capped at 32 teams. Thanks for signing up!

previous tournament formats here

Prelims will consist of four brackets of eight teams playing a round robin before lunch. The top two teams in each bracket will move on to two championship brackets with four teams each. Other teams will be put into consolation brackets of four, i.e. third place teams will be in Consolation 1, fourth place in Consolation 2, etc. Crossover finals will be played between the champion teams to determine placement from first through eighth place.

Fee Structure
$80 for each team. (No more than six players per team; only four players playing at a time).
-$5 per working buzzer system, no limit.
-$10 per moderator, no limit. (moderators do not need to bring their own laptops)
Minimum fee of $50 per team.

Payment
Make all checks out to “High Tech Student Activities Account.” We prefer payment on the day of the tournament, but if this is against your school's policy, then feel free to mail them to High Tech’s address, as listed above. If you plan mailing a check to us, have "Attention: Dr. R. Eng" on the envelope to ensure the check gets to the right place. We also accept cash. No other forms of payment will be accepted.

Food
A complimentary breakfast of bagels and juice will be provided to all teams. For lunch, we prefer that teams stay on-site in order to prevent delays, but we will also distribute a list of local eateries. We will be offering pizza for sale at lunch at $12 a pie. If you would like to order, please indicate the number of pies on the registration form. Beverages will also be available for purchase at lunch.

If you have any questions about this tournament, reply to this thread or email us at [email protected], [email protected], or [email protected].

We look forward to seeing you in February!
Last edited by SirMrGuy on Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steven Liu

Cedar Drive MS '15
High Tech '19
MIT '23
I do mathy stuff for Groger Ranks.

"I'm going insane because I miss Steven so much" -Michael Li
SirMrGuy
Lulu

Re: QuBIT V @ High Tech - Feb. 9, 2019

Post by SirMrGuy »

This post reserved for field updates.

Field as of 2/6 (teams/buzzers/moderators)
West Egg (2/0/0)
Livingston (3/1/1)
Edison (2/0/0)
North Babylon (3/3/1)
Mountain Lakes (2/0/0)
Holmdel (2/0/0)
Academy of Allied Health and Science (2/0/0)
Marlboro (2/0/0)
East Brunswick (3/0/1)
Tenafly (2/1/0)
St. Joseph (2/0/0)
Hunter (3/2/0)
Biotech (3/0/0)
"Mather" (1/6/0)
TOTAL (32/12/3)
Last edited by SirMrGuy on Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 22 times in total.
Steven Liu

Cedar Drive MS '15
High Tech '19
MIT '23

SirMrGuy
Lulu

Post by SirMrGuy »

QuBIT V has been certified as a Platinum qualifier by PACE! The top 25% of teams who attend (i.e. the top six if we reach our current field cap) will qualify for the NSC in June.
Steven Liu

Cedar Drive MS '15
High Tech '19
MIT '23

SirMrGuy
Lulu

Post by SirMrGuy »

We're a little less than a month away from the tournament, and we're approaching our soft field cap of 24. However, we have space to expand the field if there's enough interest, so make sure to sign up!
Steven Liu

Cedar Drive MS '15
High Tech '19
MIT '23

SirMrGuy
Lulu

Post by SirMrGuy »

And we've reached 24 teams. We'll officially expand the field, probably to 28 teams, once we get a couple more signups.
Steven Liu

Cedar Drive MS '15
High Tech '19
MIT '23

SirMrGuy
Lulu

Post by SirMrGuy »

We've hit 28 teams, with five teams on the waitlist. While we have enough physical space to expand to 32 teams, it's looking unlikely that we will due to limited buzzers. just kidding, it's happening
Steven Liu

Cedar Drive MS '15
High Tech '19
MIT '23

SirMrGuy
Lulu

Post by SirMrGuy »

Follow stats (kinda) live here.
Steven Liu

Cedar Drive MS '15
High Tech '19
MIT '23

SirMrGuy
Lulu

Post by SirMrGuy »

Stats are up. Special thanks to my teammate Eric Zheng for getting these done so quickly!

Hunter A defeated West Egg A 375-235 in the final to win first place. The full standings for the top 8 are:
1. Hunter A
2. West Egg A
3. Livingston A
4. East Brunswick A
5. Mather
6. Tenafly A
7. East Brunswick B
8. Hunter B

Thanks to everyone who came, especially those who brought buzzers and volunteered to staff. We hope to see you all again next year!
Steven Liu

Cedar Drive MS '15
High Tech '19
MIT '23

nsheidlower1
Lulu

Post by nsheidlower1 »

Here is the New York Quiz Bowl Alliance's recap of QuBIT V:
https://www.nyqballiance.org/blog/qubit-v