Penn Bowl 2018 Online Mirror (12/09/18)

Old college threads.
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Penn Bowl 2018 Online Mirror (12/09/18)

Post by Dantooine is Big! »

Hi, this is a preliminary announcement for the online mirror of Penn Bowl 2018, which I'll be TD'ing. I'll update this OP with details soon, but so far, I know that it'll cost $15 a head to play and that it will either take place on a day the weekend of November 17th, a day the weekend of December 8th, or Sunday, December 16th. I've put all of those dates in a poll – please fill this out ASAP if you'd like to play! I'll put up a signup spreadsheet as soon as a date is settled on.
Last edited by Dantooine is Big! on Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Young Fenimore Lee (they/them)
Stevenson High School 2017
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Re: Penn Bowl 2018 Online Mirror

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Hello,

When will this poll close?

McGill A will play this together. Should we vote once or four times?

Thanks,
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Re: Penn Bowl 2018 Online Mirror

Benin Rebirth Party wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:17 pm Hello,

When will this poll close?

McGill A will play this together. Should we vote once or four times?

Thanks,
Thanks for asking. The poll will close Monday morning. Each player looking to play this should vote individually, so 4 votes for McGill A would make sense. Sorry for not clarifying!
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Re: Penn Bowl 2018 Online Mirror (12/09/18)

Sunday, Dec 9th won the poll, so we'll be holding the mirror then. More details to come!
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Is there a thread for this? I'll be playing.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Same sentiment as above. McGill A will play.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

Here's a team formation spreadsheet. I assume you should still email Young to register once you have a team.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Mahavishnu
Lulu

Post by Mahavishnu »

My teammates have all played this event already at an in-person mirror, so I'm looking for anyone who would like to play together. I'm best at history and FA, but I'll probably end up buzzing in other areas sporadically.
Tracy Mirkin
South Fork '17
Florida '22
UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Looking for teammates--I know lit and FA, and a smattering of myth and science.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
hornetvtol
Lulu

Post by hornetvtol »

Hi, Ed. W. Clark High School would like to enter a team. As of now, we're thinking of 4 players.
Eshaan Vakil
Clark High School Captain, 2016-2020
Las Vegas, NV
That one kid from Nevada™
"Wait, West Virginia's a state?"
Asterias Wrathbunny
Wakka

Post by Asterias Wrathbunny »

Looking to join a team, I'm sort of a generalist but definitely strongest in History, FA, and Social Science
Victor Pavao
Acton-Boxborough '14, Villanova '18
Antrobus63
Wakka

Post by Antrobus63 »

QB etiquette question: With these team formation spreadsheets... should you ask prospective team members first if you can join them, or do you simply assign yourself to open spots? I assumed the former but Alex thinks it's OK to assign yourself. What's the general rule?

Also... what time of time of day will the tournament start?
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88
Coach, Moravian Academy History Bowl 2020-23
Lehigh Valley Academy 2016-18
Pennsylvania NASAT '15, ‘18, ‘22, '23
Owner and Teacher, Prepare Test Preparation
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Antrobus63 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:57 am QB etiquette question: With these team formation spreadsheets... should you ask prospective team members first if you can join them, or do you simply assign yourself to open spots? I assumed the former but Alex thinks it's OK to assign yourself. What's the general rule?

Also... what time of time of day will the tournament start?
You are correct in assuming that it's NOT OK to assign yourself
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Hi! Could we get an estimate of start/end time, and an official field list?
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

hornetvtol
Lulu

Post by hornetvtol »

cornfused wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:34 pm Hi! Could we get an estimate of start/end time, and an official field list?
Same here. The date is getting a bit close, and it would be great if we could get some schedule and payment info.
Eshaan Vakil
Clark High School Captain, 2016-2020
Las Vegas, NV
That one kid from Nevada™
"Wait, West Virginia's a state?"
mtebbe
Lulu

Post by mtebbe »

Hi everyone, sorry for the confusion - Young had a personal emergency and will no longer be able to TD this mirror. Currently, there are ten teams (nine rounds) signed up, with potentially enough free agents for twelve teams (ten rounds). However, there are only two staffers available and Penn is unable to provide staffers for this mirror. As such, the tournament will not be able to run unless we have more volunteers to read or have people currently signed up to read volunteer to staff. I understand this isn't an ideal situation and we are willing to offer compensation for both staffing and TDing the mirror. If you're interested in either, please email [email protected] by Wednesday. If we do not have sufficient staffers or a TD by then, the mirror will be cancelled. Between now and Wednesday, teams should also email us with their formal registration, even if you already emailed Young.

EDIT: Thanks for the quick response everyone - Ramapriya is going to TD, all logistical questions/registrations should go to him at [email protected].
Margaret Tebbe

Spartanburg High School '17
Penn '21

Site Coordinator, ACF
Member, PACE
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Post by Zealots of Stockholm »

mtebbe wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:14 pm Hi everyone, sorry for the confusion - Young had a personal emergency and will no longer be able to TD this mirror. Currently, there are ten teams (nine rounds) signed up, with potentially enough free agents for twelve teams (ten rounds). However, there are only two staffers available and Penn is unable to provide staffers for this mirror. As such, the tournament will not be able to run unless we have more volunteers to read or have people currently signed up to read volunteer to staff. I understand this isn't an ideal situation and we are willing to offer compensation for both staffing and TDing the mirror. If you're interested in either, please email [email protected] by Wednesday. If we do not have sufficient staffers or a TD by then, the mirror will be cancelled. Between now and Wednesday, teams should also email us with their formal registration, even if you already emailed Young.

EDIT: Thanks for the quick response everyone - Ramapriya is going to TD, all logistical questions/registrations should go to him at [email protected].
I might be able to staff. I can't commit 100% yet but if others haven't volunteered by Friday I'll confirm whether or not I can.

EDIT: Looks like plenty of people have stepped up to staff this, never mind!
Last edited by Zealots of Stockholm on Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Vanderbilt University '22
Auburn University '20
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) '16
Full Member, ACF; Member, PACE
Writer/editor, ACF, PACE, IQBT
sephirothrr
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by sephirothrr »

Hello all, I'll be taking over as TD for this tournament.

Right now it looks like we have ten teams signed up, with five empty spaces for six free agents. Unless we get a huge surge of interest, I'm gonna go ahead and cap the field at that number, and on, let's say Wednesday afternoon, i'll assign all remaining free agents pseudo-randomly to a team and close entry. If you're currently on the free agent list and don't want that to happen to you, sort it out before then.

Payment and registration: This is a slight change from before, but teams are no longer registered until they have paid me $15 per player - @ramapriya on venmo (strongly preferred) or [email protected] at paypal. I'd strongly prefer one single payment per team, but that's not strictly required if it proves too difficult. For those of you with fewer than four players on your team - unless some of the free agents back out, that will not continue to be the case. Please pay before Sunday, so I don't have to either hound you down or not let you play. Also please include your names/teammates in the notes of the payment, so I don't have to try and match @teddy-bear-2000 to a human name.

Logistics: I am planning on using Discord for this tournament, the server details of which will be forthcoming. In terms of schedule/timing, I'd like to start at 10AM EDT - I understand that this might be a bit early for some west coast people, but I don't want this to go too late, especially as it seems there are some people that may have to leave early. As it stands, it looks like we'll be doing a 9 game RR with finals, so barring debilitating technical issues I'll extremely optimistically say that it should take around 6 hours, plus finals.

I think that's it for now, but if there's anything glaring that I overlooked feel free to let me know here or by email, and I'll get back in touch with finalized schedules and whatnot on Wednesday.
Ramapriya
Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance
University of Louisville
duPont Manual High School
Birdofredum Sawin wrote: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:52 pmIf you don't want to be regarded as a "raving lunatic," it might be advisable to rave less, or at least to do so in a less loony manner.
sephirothrr

Post by sephirothrr »

Now that I've heard back from everyone, I'm officially locking the field - we're at eight teams of four and two of five, so we're confirmed for a simple nine game round robin, with finals.

I've posted the tournament schedule on the team formation spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0), so feel free to peruse that at your leisure.

I'm also sending the invite link to the discord by email to one person per team, generally whoever I most easily had contact information for, as well as the assigned free agents. Please share that with your teammates, but only your teammates - this is not a spectator event, and I'd rather not have superfluous people crowding the server. I will of course personally give the link to any participant that asks for it, I just don't have contact info for many of you.

Please confirm before Sunday that you can join the server, and then follow the instructions on the landing page, so that I can go ahead and get things set up for Sunday.

And, once again, this is a reminder that if you haven't yet paid me, please do so now - my payment information is in the above post, and also on the discord itself.

Players, please try to be in the discord by 9:45 Eastern on Sunday morning. We'll have a brief opening meeting at 10:00 explaining some of the mechanics, and then we'll get started as soon as possible.

Additionally, if possible, please plan to have lunch/food ready so that we can take as short of a lunch break as possible - as players you can likely eat between/during rounds, so if we can just break for around 30 minutes for the mods to eat and then resume, that would be ideal. (fellow mods, please let me know if that is likely to be insufficient)
Ramapriya
University of Louisville
Birdofredum Sawin wrote: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:52 pmIf you don't want to be regarded as a "raving lunatic," it might be advisable to rave less, or at least to do so in a less loony manner.
sephirothrr

Post by sephirothrr »

"One Shift, Two Shift, Redshift, Blueshift" (Maximilian Shatan, Geoffrey Chen, Hidehiro Anto, Greg Peterson) clinched by defeating "Will the Real Ben G. Wynne Please Stand Up" (Stephen Liu, Benji Nguyen, Michael Coates, Chinmay Kansara) 325-295 in the first game of an advantaged final.

Thanks for everyone who played, and thanks for putting up with the various technical difficulties we had throughout the day - despite all that, we managed to finish the round robin before 6:30, (after starting at 10:20) so all things considered, we made great time!

Thanks to my fellow moderators (Ophir, Michael, Katherine, Eric, and Natan) for forming up at the last minute, and special thanks to Ophir especially for helping me go through the drudgery of setting up the server.

If you have any questions/concerns/comments about the actual running of the tournament feel free to share them here, for anything related to the questions themselves please join the discussion group.

I'll be posting SQBS stats later tonight, and I'm sure Ophir will also be soon posting the stuff you really want to see.
Ramapriya
University of Louisville
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Hey, this tournament was pretty much the model for how a Discord tournament should be run.
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

Thanks to Rama and all the readers, this was the most well run online tournament I’ve played in.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
Valefor
Wakka

Post by Valefor »

cornfused wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:06 am Hey, this tournament was pretty much the model for how a Discord tournament should be run.
This, pretty much exactly. There were some definite problems with the set, which I'll try and post about later today in the discussion forum, but in terms of logistics this tournament was a model of how to run an efficient, well-executed online mirror. Thanks to all staff for their work yesterday, and especially to Rama for stepping in to TD.
Jason Thompson
aka "that one reader with the ponytail and the Transylvania sweatshirt"
NAQT member
sephirothrr

Post by sephirothrr »

Hello friends, sorry for the delay, but stats are now posted!

http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/5496/

I'll add the finals in a moment, and may eventually fix the display of the non-ascii characters.

edit: fixed the finals not actually being added
Ramapriya
University of Louisville