New England Discussion '18-'19

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
RicardoDA
Lulu

New England Discussion '18-'19

Post by RicardoDA »

Other circuits have made these so I figured we could get started as well. Use this thread to discuss New England players, teams, and tournaments for the 2018-2019 season.
David Arena
Lexington '19
Harvard '24
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Re: New England Discussion '18-'19

Post by High Dependency Unit »

Assuming Karsten Rynearson stays enrolled at Greens Farms for high school, they should be able to legitimately challenge Darien for the title of top team in Connecticut, while Wilton will obviously continue to be a strong team (though I'm uncertain about how solid they will be in literature, science, and FA/RMP). Cooper Roh is attending Hotchkiss next year, so it's entirely possible they'll play CT tournaments and perform well next year. I have no takes with regards to the Boston circuit.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
34 + P.J. Dozier
Wakka

Post by 34 + P.J. Dozier »

As someone who will be leaving this circuit and is now merely an observer (although I intend to continue to help from afar with circuit building efforts in whatever capacity I can), I'm excited to see what is on the horizon for New England quizbowl. I agree with all of Michael's points regarding CT, although I am not as familiar with the CT circuit since they tend to play in the Tri-State area circuit more than the New England (MA and NH mainly) circuit.

As far as the New England circuit goes, here are some pre-season analyses, in no particular order:

Lexington
Nationals finish: T-20 at HSNCT
Post-season Morlan ranking: #58 for A, #204 for B

Although many players outside of the New England circuit did not expect Lexington to have a strong showing at HSNCT, they managed to pull upset after upset against Dunbar, Battle Ground, University Lab, and Crystal Springs en route to an impressive T-20 finish. In particular, Nick Rommel, buoyed by strong support from David Arena, Brendan Cantwell, and Charles Yang (who are stellar players in their own right), put up a higher PP20TUH than those of his three other teammates combined, outpowered other incredibly talented history/geo players such as Doug Simons and Govind Prabhakar, and even put up 8 powers against Hunter A (another thing worth mentioning that isn't HSNCT related: when Lexington attended Yale EFT at the beginning of the year, Nick had the highest history PATH in a field filled with skilled collegiate history players). On top of that, they lose NOBODY, so I expect them to not only easily be the best team in New England next year, but also to have a legitimate shot at the HSNCT title.

Lexington also boasts a pretty good bench of players such as Arushi Kalpande, Derek Ying, and Leanna Bai, and I've heard whispers that Asia circuit standout Elizabeth Enright will be moving to Lexington next year. Given all this, we can definitely expect Lexington to continue to be competitive for years to come.

Belmont
Nationals finish: T-77
Post-season Morlan ranking: #149

Coming off of a solid T-77 finish (after only being eliminated on a tiebreaker against Carnegie Vanguard A, Morlan ranked #22) at their first national championship, my old team should be one of the best teams in the circuit next year, if only by virtue of losing less talent than most other teams. While losing both me and Eva Hill creates a literature and fine arts hole, Eliana Roberts (who improved vastly after joining quizbowl less than three months before nationals) and newly promoted Seiyoung Jang are dedicated to filling those holes and will have an entire year to do so. Belmont also returns everything-but-literature-and-arts juggernaut Cameron Anderson, whose 25/44/17 HSNCT statline speaks for itself, as well as last year's de facto fifth member, Matthew Miller. Given the rate at which Belmont improved last year and the amount of talent they return, it stands to reason that Belmont will continue to succeed in the New England circuit and could be poised to make an ever deeper run at nationals next year, provided that they cover up current weak spots and improve their consistency.

Belmont also has a myriad of players on its bench, all of them rising sophomores, so as long as they continue to study, they should keep Belmont competitive. Notable freshmen last season included history player Tor Metelmann and literature player Bennett Mohr, and Nathan Sheffield, who unfortunately joined very late in the year, has impressive generalist potential and deep knowledge of some sciences (mathematics in particular). Although they have yet to lead Belmont B to non-bottom bracket finishes at tournaments, I would definitely watch out for them next year.

Phillips Academy
Nationals finish: T-51
Post-season Morlan ranking: #81 for A, #197 for B

Phillips had a very successful season, touting a nice T-51 HSNCT finish, but are now entering somewhat of a rebuilding phase, as they graduate three-fourths of their A team. They will retain talented generalist Vincent Fan, who should continue to improve at an astonishing rate and will most likely become one of the region's best individual players (he already made top bracket at MIT FACTS in March playing solo, if that's any indication). Phillips is also poised to promote Nick Miklaucic and Lasal Mapitigama, both of whom are solid players and should be able to support Vincent. Regardless, it will still take time for the members to adjust to the new squad (and I don't think there is a definite fourth player on the roster yet), so I don't expect them to come out the gate swinging. However, they should be able to regain their momentum in time for nationals, although whether they improve on this year's finish depends on the level of support Vincent ultimately receives.

I'm not as familiar with the rest of the Phillips Academy program, but given the amount of staffers and players they've wrangled for many tournaments, it seems as if members are plentiful, even if serious dedication may not. If Vincent is able to galvanize the younger members into studying more, then Phillips will definitely develop a strong and deep bench of players, but as of now, this seems a little uncertain.

Barrington
Nationals finish: N/A
Post-season Morlan ranking: N/A

Barrington is my sleeper pick to be one of the major players on the circuit next year. They burst onto the circuit very recently at MIT FACTS, and then managed to make top bracket at BAIT the following month (although due to the recency of their formation, they unfortunately did not attend nationals or make it onto the Morlan rankings). Daniel Sheinberg's numbers in particular have been impressive, but from seeing them in action, the whole team has incredibly strong chemistry and works well as a unit. Although I believe they graduate second scorer Michael Lamontagne, given their clear passion for the game, insane dedication, and rapid rate of improvement, I definitely see a bright season ahead of them.

As a very new program, their numbers are quite small, but the team seems very devoted to recruitment and outreach in their school and the Rhode Island area, so who knows?

Boston Latin
Nationals finish: T-105
Post-season Morlan ranking: #193

Boston Latin is another team I can see making waves next year. A relatively new team themselves, they were able to surpass expectations and improve enough to make HSNCT playoffs, which I was very impressed by – this indicated to me that they are very dedicated to studying and improvement, which will be crucial to their projected success next year, as they return everyone on their A team. They tempered their negging problem drastically by HSNCT, and seem to be working towards covering the lit hole they used to have as well, so they'll be hitting the ground running this next season to continue to patch up their weaknesses. Overall, I think Boston Latin is definitely poised to make a deeper run next year, although the extent to which they will succeed is entirely dependent on how well they are able to continue improving their consistency and obtaining even deeper knowledge.

I don't think I've really seen a Boston Latin B team in action for a while, so I'm not sure if their presence will be notable on the circuit (they did seem to have a lot of student staffers at SPIT, though). However, if Christy Jestin's hard work expanding the program is any indication, I'm sure they will be able to wrangle new recruits to sustain Boston Latin in the future (especially considering Boston Latin School's prowess in other buzzer-based academic clubs like Certamen).

Acton-Boxborough
Nationals finish: T-32
Post-season Morlan ranking: #49 for A, #249 for B

Acton-Boxborough caps off their stellar season with two tournament wins under their belt, an impressive T-32 HSNCT finish, and a top 50 Morlan rank to boot. Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, as A-B graduates not just their A team, but also what is essentially their entire club (save for one C team player). This is quite possibly the most drastic rebuilding year ever for a New England team in recent memory. Short of a miracle, I don't see how A-B will be even a regional contender this season, but I will be very happy if proven wrong (as I would hate to see such a strong program die out).

Andover
Post-season Morlan ranking: #106

Andover, in spite of getting pretty unlucky at HSNCT, was a force to be reckoned with last season (thanks to the one-two punch of Frank Cai and Neil Patel, two of the best players in the circuit). While they unfortunately graduate the dynamic duo, who made up an overwhelming majority of their scoring, they do retain Ayan Chowdhury and Omkar Savkur. However, neither of them put up stellar numbers last season (although this could be due to a shadow effect from Frank and Neil), and given that the amount of support that they will receive next year is unknown as of now, it is unlikely they will be able to emulate last year's successes.

Hanover
Nationals finish: T-77
Post-season Morlan ranking: #121

Hanover was another team last season that improved drastically just when they needed it most, and were able to snag a solid T-77 finish at HSNCT. While they do graduate lead scorer Hayden Smith as well as key players Simon Herron and Jack Burnham, they return Liam Szczepiorkowski, who put up solid numbers throughout the season, and Oliver Minshall, who is probably one of the best RMPS players in the circuit. Additionally, as they are one of the few programs in the circuit with a coach (Gabe Brison-Trezise, whose phenomenal coaching skills are apparent from playing and moderating for Hanover multiple times), I have no doubt that they will recover from these losses quickly and try their hand at an even deeper nationals run this coming year.

I'm also very impressed at the depth of Hanover's bench, as they were the only New England team to bring a B team to any national tournament (one with more than four players, at that!). As such, they will most likely to be able to wrangle another B team next year. Again, Gabe's coaching has done wonders for the program, and they will certainly continue to flourish for years to come.

AMSA
Nationals finish: 59/96 at PACE
Post-season Morlan ranking: #155

AMSA has unfortunately been hit with rebuilding year after rebuilding year recently. Although they had a solid season (albeit one that seemed to suffer a little from senioritis towards its end), losing Abhiram Kolluri as well as the Hodges is a massive loss. However, AMSA has a burgeoning middle school team that will definitely develop come time, and Ms. Bowen, as a skilled veteran coach, knows how to keep a program afloat in the face of such losses. Due to the combination of strong coaching and a deep bench, AMSA will be poised to make it big down the road, although whether that will happen immediately next year remains to be seen.

Plymouth
Nationals finish: 83/96 at PACE
Post-season Morlan ranking: #209

Plymouth boasts one of the best individual players in the entire circuit, Rhys Harris (who is, I believe, a rising junior!), and they were able to garner some solid finishes this past season. However, Rhys also didn't receive that much support from his teammates; as is the case with such unbalanced teams (unless it's Lehigh Valley, I suppose), Plymouth had some trouble against more consistent and balanced teams. There's a ton of potential for Plymouth to transition from a great team to a stellar one, but until Rhys is able to be backed up with more support, it will be difficult to do so. However, Mr. Harris seems very dedicated to coaching the team and improving its other members, so it is very possible that these issues will be ameliorated next season.
Wonyoung Jang
Belmont '18 // UChicago '22
ACF; NAQT; PACE
troyharris
Wakka

Post by troyharris »

Thanks for doing this, Wonyoung. A couple of quick things to add from the New Hampshire end. I agree with your assessments here for the most part here. I would say though that when Plymouth did get it's full A-team together with the seniors, we were very tough to beat, as witnessed by a runner-up finish at Plymouth to AMSA, championship bracket at Harvard, and winning the PHAT tournament in Essex, along with making the super-championship bracket at History Bowl where they hung tough with Richard Montgomery and Manheim (lost on last question). As is the case with many teams, getting all the seniors together consistently was a problem, and with Richard, David, Konner, Clayton, and Austin all gone, there are major holes to fill. That being said, PACE should be a real confidence builder, as the JV group that was there pulled off the biggest win in program history by knocking off Ithaca A in the opening round of nationals. They went on to upset nationally-ranked Essex and Dunbar as well. This will be the first year that we will have two ACE camp players which should help, and with Rhys focusing on chemistry and physics at camp this year, that should help plug a major hole as well. All that said, we are still young, but Coach Fogarty and I are both very encouraged by what was accomplished in 17-18.

Elsewhere in New Hampshire, Hanover lost some incredibly talented and well-rounded seniors (Hayden Smith was a beast by mid-season) that helped propel them to the playoffs at HSNCT and to become one of the Northeast's top teams by the end of last year. As you said though, they are so deep, they have one of the best middle school programs in New England, and are so well-coached, they are going to be a major factor on the circuit this year, as witnessed by the performance of their B team at Nationals. We also saw some teams like Merrimack (strong showing at OATH and BAIT) and Portsmouth Christian playing some pyramidal tournaments, so hopefully they will continue to play events this year. There also seems to be a willingness to move the NH state circuit to pyramidal questions, which is a huge step in the right direction. It will be fun to see how this all plays out this year, especially considering that we have a legitimate challenger for an HSNCT title with how strong Lexington is going to be.
Last edited by troyharris on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Troy Harris
Plymouth, NH
34 + P.J. Dozier
Wakka

troyharris wrote:Thanks for doing this, Wonyoung. A couple of quick things to add from the New Hampshire end. I agree with your assessments here for the most part here. I would say though that when Plymouth did get it's full A-team together with the seniors, we were very tough to beat, as witnessed by a runner-up finish at Plymouth to AMSA, championship bracket at Harvard, and winning the PHAT tournament in Essex, along with making the super-championship bracket at History Bowl where they hung tough with Richard Montgomery and Manheim (lost on last question). As is the case with many teams, getting all the seniors together consistently was a problem, and with Richard, David, Konner, Clayton, and Austin all gone, there are major holes to fill. That being said, PACE should be a real confidence builder, as the JV group that was there pulled off the biggest win in program history by knocking off Ithaca A in the opening round of nationals. They went on to upset nationally-ranked Essex and Dunbar as well. This will be the first year that we will have two ACE camp players which should help, and with Rhys focusing on chemistry and physics at camp this year, that should help plug a major hole as well. All that said, we are still young and may be a year away, but Coach Fogarty and I are both very encouraged by what was accomplished in 17-18.
I'm glad to hear that there's a lot of work being put into building up more support in the future! I was indeed very impressed by the upset against Ithaca at PACE (I neglected to mention it in my original post, my apologies), so I would not be surprised to see Plymouth continue pulling off such outstanding victories next year as the team balance adjusts after losing the seniors.
Wonyoung Jang
ACF; NAQT; PACE
RicardoDA
Lulu

Post by RicardoDA »

troyharris wrote:There also seems to be a willingness to move the NH state circuit to pyramidal questions, which is a huge step in the right direction.
This is good to hear. It will be great to have more teams playing pyramidal quizbowl as well as (potentially) more available tournaments given that this will primarily be a rebuilding year for our circuit.
David Arena
Lexington '19
Harvard '24
Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov
Lulu

Post by Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov »

Thiccasso's Guernthicca wrote: Boston Latin
Post-season Morlan ranking: #193

Boston Latin is another team I can see making waves next year. A relatively new team themselves, they were able to surpass expectations and improve enough to make HSNCT playoffs, which I was very impressed by – this indicated to me that they are very dedicated to studying and improvement, which will be crucial to their projected success next year, as they return everyone on their A team. They tempered their negging problem drastically by HSNCT, and seem to be working towards covering the lit hole they used to have as well, so they'll be hitting the ground running this next season to continue to patch up their weaknesses. Overall, I think Boston Latin is definitely poised to make a deeper run next year, although the extent to which they will succeed is entirely dependent on how well they are able to continue improving their consistency and obtaining even deeper knowledge.

I don't think I've really seen a Boston Latin B team in action for a while, so I'm not sure if their presence will be notable on the circuit (they did seem to have a lot of student staffers at SPIT, though). However, if Christy Jestin's hard work expanding the program is any indication, I'm sure they will be able to wrangle new recruits to sustain Boston Latin in the future (especially considering Boston Latin School's prowess in other buzzer-based academic clubs like Certamen).
Regardless of how successful of a set BLISS is, the fact that Boston Latin is writing a set means they will improve immensely over the course of next year, and I could easily see them making top 30/top 20 at HSNCT, which at the moment seems like their stronger nationals set.
Nick Rommel
Lexington Quizbowl President '17-'18

"Cloud forests in this mountain range-" BUZZ "Andes Mountains"
cthewolf
Lulu

Post by cthewolf »

Thiccasso's Guernthicca wrote:They tempered their negging problem drastically by HSNCT
I think people forget about context when looking at statistics. While we took care of our "negging problem" on paper at HSNCT, I would say that we definitely lost or almost lost multiple games to clearly weaker teams because of negging. Obviously luck and procedural differences (in one round, there were 10 seconds left after a bonus set, but the moderator had trouble flipping the page, so he didn't get to the tossup- I wish I was kidding because we lost by 30 after a failed protest) were also factors, but the negging was usually concentrated in these close rounds.

On the other hand, I think a lot of our negs during the season were in games we had already mathematically lost or won. I also seem to neg more when we don't have the full team (BHSAT comes to mind).

Obviously, it's frustrating to have teammates neg regardless of the context.

Anyway, I thought that we had a really bad actual negging problem during nationals and wanted to explain why I think context matters so much.
Christy Jestin
Boston Latin School '20
Team Mascot
cthewolf
Lulu

Post by cthewolf »

ceeeelebrate good times, come on
relapse.PNG
(81.44 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Christy Jestin
Boston Latin School '20
Team Mascot
karstenontheshore
Lulu

Post by karstenontheshore »

From what I saw today at FAcT, the northeast has some strong teams. Daniel from Barrington was stellar when he played us, and Darien B looks as good if not better than their counterpart. Although they seemed tired when we played them, Darien A remains a local power. Christy and Nick from Boston Latin played super well and are definitely threats in the circuit. The only team that beat us was Wilton, whose assertiveness over history and geo remains quite impressive. Dalton from NY has a very solid player in Avi Mehta, and he and his teammates will likely only improve throughout HS. Overall, New England seems quite impressive and I am very excited to play teams I haven't yet like Belmont, Lexington, and many others.
karsten rynearson
he/him + they/them
phillips academy '22 + yale '26
raft i, ii, iii + newt
K to the A to the R to the S to the T to the E to the HOLD IT! N
Subotai the Valiant, Final Dog of War
Wakka

Post by Subotai the Valiant, Final Dog of War »

I'm also intrigued by MIT Fall, played on IS-177 (partially since A sets like PAQT and FAcT, being much more favorable towards breadth over depth, are not very indicative of general success).

At MIT Fall, Daniel from Barrington and Alex from Troy did extremely well as individuals, and Barrington, Lexington, Troy, and Ilium all seem to have done quite well on the set based on stats (I wasn't there). I especially regret putting Troy so low on my Mid-Atlantic predictions; they seemed really strong, and Alex has good help in Kemal. Considering they went 1-1 against Lexington with only two players, they could be the force of New England/New York this year.

I'm looking forward to playing these teams at HFT or BHSAT when Hunter goes into New England; a few heated matches seem destined between these teams in the meantime!
Daniel, Hunter College High School '19, Yale '23
karstenontheshore
Lulu

I think the top 5 teams right now in New England including NY are the following:
1. Hunter
From what I've seen from his forum posts, Daniel's talent is only eclipsed by his humility in saying that several teams will surpass his team. Let's face it. Hunter is and has been the best high school team in the region for several years now. Their history bench is deeper than any I've ever seen, with stellar players like Cerulean Ozarow, Pedro Orduz, and someone I haven't heard mentioned, their incredible 8th grader Ian Lu. Their dominance over the circuit is extremely likely, and I look forward to being thoroughly pummeled by them later in the year.

2. Lexington
Nick Rommel is really, really good. I've only played him once, but his history buzzes were insane. He also seemed to have really good support from his teammates, so I expect incredible things from them.

3. Troy
I've never met or played Alex Pyle, so I'm coming in with a limited perspective, but from his stats and the things I've heard, he will be formidable. Apparently he also has good teammates, so they look pretty scary.

4. Greens Farms
Arguably the most underranked team in Daniel's predictions (unranked) I believe we deserve this position due to general motivation, our knowledge base, and better collaboration. We've definitely improved as a team, and I see us doing pretty well at regional tournaments.

5. Ithaca
I have played this team once also, but we won, thus my decision to rank us over them. However, they had some really solid science buzzes, and I heard it through the grapevine that they've significantly improved, so if we were to get knocked to the 5 slot, I wouldn't be too surprised.

Honorable Mentions:
Barrington
Daniel Sheinberg is a very, very good player. His 4th place MIT fall title cements his place in the circuit. Having played him today, I think he's excellent and am looking forward to playing him more in the upcoming year.

Phillips Andover
A very solid team. Vincent and Lasal make a good duo, and their other team members seem to be excelling as well.

Darien
Their A team seemed tired, thus the margin of our win, but they have very impressive knowledge so I think they will still do quite well at local tournaments. Their B team is looking really good.

Wilton
Their history and geography is very impressive, and their strategy of nonaggression really affects aggressive teams, so they look as solid as ever.

Overall, this will be a strong New England year.
karsten rynearson
he/him + they/them
raft i, ii, iii + newt
34 + P.J. Dozier
Wakka

karsten7814 wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:09 pm I think the top 5 teams right now in New England including NY are the following:
1. Hunter
From what I've seen from his forum posts, Daniel's talent is only eclipsed by his humility in saying that several teams will surpass his team. Let's face it. Hunter is and has been the best high school team in the region for several years now. Their history bench is deeper than any I've ever seen, with stellar players like Cerulean Ozarow, Pedro Orduz, and someone I haven't heard mentioned, their incredible 8th grader Ian Lu. Their dominance over the circuit is extremely likely, and I look forward to being thoroughly pummeled by them later in the year.

2. Lexington
Nick Rommel is really, really good. I've only played him once, but his history buzzes were insane. He also seemed to have really good support from his teammates, so I expect incredible things from them.

3. Troy
I've never met or played Alex Pyle, so I'm coming in with a limited perspective, but from his stats and the things I've heard, he will be formidable. Apparently he also has good teammates, so they look pretty scary.

4. Greens Farms
Arguably the most underranked team in Daniel's predictions (unranked) I believe we deserve this position due to general motivation, our knowledge base, and better collaboration. We've definitely improved as a team, and I see us doing pretty well at regional tournaments.

5. Ithaca
I have played this team once also, but we won, thus my decision to rank us over them. However, they had some really solid science buzzes, and I heard it through the grapevine that they've significantly improved, so if we were to get knocked to the 5 slot, I wouldn't be too surprised.

Honorable Mentions:
Barrington
Daniel Sheinberg is a very, very good player. His 4th place MIT fall title cements his place in the circuit. Having played him today, I think he's excellent and am looking forward to playing him more in the upcoming year.

Phillips Andover
A very solid team. Vincent and Lasal make a good duo, and their other team members seem to be excelling as well.

Darien
Their A team seemed tired, thus the margin of our win, but they have very impressive knowledge so I think they will still do quite well at local tournaments. Their B team is looking really good.

Wilton
Their history and geography is very impressive, and their strategy of nonaggression really affects aggressive teams, so they look as solid as ever.

Overall, this will be a strong New England year.
Obviously, as Daniel said above, A-sets are poor metrics by which to judge the competitiveness of teams, but Belmont did put up a better PPB at PAQT than all but two teams at FAcT while winning the whole tournament (beating a short-handed Lexington A twice). They also decisively beat Wilton at MIT Fall while missing their lead scorer (which, as a side note, explains their poor PPB and overall performance at that tournament).

I also think that Hanover is another team to watch out for in the future – Oliver Minshall has improved meteorically, and will only continue to do so. Once he receives more support (which, judging by PAQT stats, shouldn't be too far off), this team will definitely be able to take games off of top teams in the circuit. Overall, I'm very pleased to see Hanover recover from its losses so quickly.
Wonyoung Jang
ACF; NAQT; PACE
Martin-Baker Mk.5
Lulu

Post by Martin-Baker Mk.5 »

I'm not quite sure why we're being discussed in the New England discussion, but I'd like to clear a few things up.

For one, in case anyone isn't aware, we played under the name "Ilium" at MIT Fall. I would caution against judging much of anything on this tournament, not least because of the level of the set. For clarity's sake, we played MIT Fall with a less than full team, but we still played pretty well. Honestly, we didn't study much over the summer (with the notable exception of Julian, who put up an incredible statline that I would be remiss not to mention), and I think we can improve on this performance. I also don't think judging team skill on single head-to-head games from months prior is a good way to go about ranking, since teams change quickly. I think, this early in the year, that using power counts and PPB, flawed as they may be, is the best way to go.

I would rather not share rankings that would be rather arbitrary (I don't feel I have sufficient expertise), but I will say that having played Alex Pyle many times, he is a formidable opponent and excellent player, and no one should discount his ability to improve, even from his considerable showing last weekend.

Lexington is also a really, really good team, and I would not be at all surprised to see them in an HSNCT semifinal, or even winning it all. They put up undisputably the best numbers at MIT Fall, and that should not be forgotten.

I'd also like to mention Belmont, who were great against us, even without their leading scorer (Cam). They are my pick for pulling off a major upset or two this year.

Hunter, High Tech, Great Neck South, and Wilmington Charter all project to be fantastic teams, and I'm excited to play them and see their stats. I'll hold off my judgment on the best team in the region until then.

I do feel, though, that I have an obligation to my teammates to point out that we had, by far, the second highest PPB at MIT Fall, even without our science player. We also put up as many powers as Lexington, and only lost to them by 10 points (which is deceiving considering they clinched the game after TU 18). I do not think we are by any means the best team in the region at the moment, but if we get working (a big if for me especially) we could do some serious damage.
Isaiah Gutman
Ithaca High '19
karstenontheshore
Lulu

I had no idea that Ilium was you. Clearly I made a mistake. Thanks for pointing that out.
karsten rynearson
he/him + they/them
raft i, ii, iii + newt
Subotai the Valiant, Final Dog of War
Wakka

Post by Subotai the Valiant, Final Dog of War »

I should say that my post was merely an observation about the teams that were at MIT Fall, by no means a ranking of all teams in the region
Daniel, Hunter College High School '19, Yale '23
deserto
Wakka

Post by deserto »

To those I've met and befriended over the last two years up here: thank you for your collegiality, conversation, and passion. I'll be leaving my alma mater at the end of next week to begin a job in Washington, D.C., but will remain forever grateful for the opportunity to rejoin — as a coach — a strong and growing New England circuit. From the scenic drives up and down Interstates 89 and 91; to an unexpected snowbound night in Andover; to a pensive moment in the pews of Ebenezer Baptist Church; to constantly teaching and learning from a crew of kind, bright students: it's been special.

Quizbowl's a game, and like any other can breed enmity and poor sportsmanship. I cringe when I see it. But quizbowl's also a wonderful means of learning about the diverse world we inhabit. My advice: enjoy each practice and tournament, stay curious, and make things fun for those around you.
Gabe B-T
moderator-for-hire
34 + P.J. Dozier
Wakka

deserto wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:14 pm To those I've met and befriended over the last two years up here: thank you for your collegiality, conversation, and passion. I'll be leaving my alma mater at the end of next week to begin a job in Washington, D.C., but will remain forever grateful for the opportunity to rejoin — as a coach — a strong and growing New England circuit. From the scenic drives up and down Interstates 89 and 91; to an unexpected snowbound night in Andover; to a pensive moment in the pews of Ebenezer Baptist Church; to constantly teaching and learning from a crew of kind, bright students: it's been special.

Quizbowl's a game, and like any other can breed enmity and poor sportsmanship. I cringe when I see it. But quizbowl's also a wonderful means of learning about the diverse world we inhabit. My advice: enjoy each practice and tournament, stay curious, and make things fun for those around you.
I've enjoyed watching Hanover grow under your tutelage, witnessing their dedication and skill firsthand while playing them last year and now watching them continue to flourish from afar. I wish you the best of luck going forward and I have confidence that Hanover will continue to make waves in the circuit!
Wonyoung Jang
ACF; NAQT; PACE
deserto
Wakka

Post by deserto »

Thiccasso's Guernthicca wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:58 amI've enjoyed watching Hanover grow under your tutelage, witnessing their dedication and skill firsthand while playing them last year and now watching them continue to flourish from afar. I wish you the best of luck going forward and I have confidence that Hanover will continue to make waves in the circuit!
Thanks for the kind words, Wonyoung. Let's scrimmage on an HSNCT packet again sometime ;)
Gabe B-T
moderator-for-hire
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I haven't heard a lot from teams in the northeast about NASAT this year. If any of you would be interested in participating this year, feel free to contact me at [email protected].

Thanks!
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator