How Much Do You Study?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
tksaleija
Wakka

How Much Do You Study?

Post by tksaleija »

I've created this pretty rigorous routine the last few weeks that consists of making 1-2 study guides (so much more time-consuming than I thought) + studying 60-120 tossups + 75-100 bonus sets everyday. This usually ends up coming to about 1.5-3 hours every day, and about 12 hours every week. This led me to wonder how much everyone else studies a week, and if I'm doing way too much or a normal amount (or not enough, which would suck). So how much do all of you study on the daily/weekly?
Aleija Rodriguez
University of Michigan 202x
MCMC/MCCC 2019
jesposito
Lulu

Re: How Much Do You Study?

Post by jesposito »

I usually take 45 minutes to go through my flashcards for the day, then I make flashcards for 30 minutes to an hour, so like 1-2 hours a day.
Joe Esposito
Aurora, Ohio, 2019
Ohio State University, 2023
Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Dreams
Wakka

Post by Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Dreams »

I don't have a rigorous studying schedule. Usually when I'm bored in class or at home, I'll read some packets or look over/make some notecards. I'd say I spent an average of anywhere from 10 to 25 hours on doing things for the specific purpose of getting better at qb, mostly depending on how much schoolwork I have.
Geoffrey Chen
Wayzata High School '19
UMN (dual enrollment) '19
Cornell ???
ashwin99
Lulu

Post by ashwin99 »

Usually, it seems like having a consistent study schedule is more effective than just increasing the sheer amount of time you study. (for example, studying every day consistently for 15 mins a day is better than studying a bunch of hours every once in a while)
Ashwin Ramaswami
Communications Director, ACF (2018-2019)
Stanford University (2017-2021), Chattahoochee High School (2013-2017)

Try this free mobile app Tycho: Play Quizbowl and Science Bowl to study or read packets while on the go.
Snom
Lulu

Post by Snom »

Whatever it is, certainly not enough
Albert Zhang
Columbia '24
State College '16-'20
iarehavethestupid
Lulu

Post by iarehavethestupid »

Geez, I must be no-lifeing, but maybe it's because I'm still in middle school.

I study around 2-3 hours a day, one hour for quizbowl class, 40ish minutes on my bus ride to and from school, and around an hour at home, mostly using Quizlet Plus.
Ethan Xu
Liberty Middle School 2017-2019
James Clemens High School 2020-2023
2019 ASCA MS State Champion
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

One thing I might recommend is always trying to be what I'll call "intellectually curious." If you've got a few minutes, read some online articles on topics you don't know much about (or even just Wikipedia summaries). My analogy for this is the "doctor's office"--whenever I end up at a doctor's office, I usually read an article in a magazine and try to learn something before my appointment (this is the only time of my life in which I read Golf Digest, for example). Don't turn off your quizbowl mind even when you're not doing quizbowl things.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

Cheynem wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:28 pm One thing I might recommend is always trying to be what I'll call "intellectually curious." If you've got a few minutes, read some online articles on topics you don't know much about (or even just Wikipedia summaries). My analogy for this is the "doctor's office"--whenever I end up at a doctor's office, I usually read an article in a magazine and try to learn something before my appointment (this is the only time of my life in which I read Golf Digest, for example). Don't turn off your quizbowl mind even when you're not doing quizbowl things.

or rather, don't turn off your non quizbowl mind when doing quizbowl things. Esp in college, the goal is to know what other teams don't - if you study "for" quizbowl, you'll be studying the same tales as everyone else. if you approach things from a diff angle (as I did) you will approach the sentence being read to you from a different angle in time (in quizbowl as in Hamlet, "time is out of joint.")

Analogy that Mike may know: Chris Kanyon became the "Ultimate Innovator" by approaching moves from a diff standpoint (literally, sometimes). He used this unpredictability to outwit and outmaneuver his opponents, much like Jud "Fabio" Birza in Survivor Season 21: Nicaragua.

I never study, I always study. I walk the streets and glide on digital superhighways and my mind is open. I continue to learn.

The eternal student
-IKD
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

And who better than Kanyon??????
Mike Cheyne