STIGMATA

Old college threads.
Slightly Less British
Lulu

STIGMATA

Post by Slightly Less British »

Hello! This is an announcement for STIGMATA (Specific Things In Games, Movies And Television And (other things that couldn't fit into the acronym)), a visual trash tournament entirely written by me, which should be available to play around October of this year, and will probably be about 6 packets.

Much like Mike Cheyne's Shoney's set (which is really good and you should all sign up to play), none of the answerlines to this tournament will be real works, actors, artists or players. Instead, all of the questions will be on individual scenes, characters, events, plays, actions and the like. As such, while (almost) all of the things being asked about are of reasonable trash difficulty, these questions may skew a little harder at times.

If I'm not selling it well enough already, the set will have a distribution almost entirely comprised of 'stuff I like', and will be roughly 40% movies, 30% television, 20% video games and 10% other trash stuff (sports, comic books, music videos, things on the internet). There may be more than one tossup on a given television programme or video game series, although there won't be anything excessive.

The fee to play or mirror this set will be $0, but, if you enjoy it and have the financial means, I'd strongly encourage you to make a donation of at least $5 to local or national mental health charities, a cause which is particularly important to me and which I know affects a large portion of the quizbowl community.
Frances Clark-Murray
Oxford '19 (Quiz Society President '17-'18)
Cheynem
Sin

Re: STIGMATA

Post by Cheynem »

I'm intrigued how you can ask these things in a visual tournament (unless you mean this is just a tournament about visual trash?).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Slightly Less British
Lulu

Post by Slightly Less British »

Cheynem wrote:I'm intrigued how you can ask these things in a visual tournament (unless you mean this is just a tournament about visual trash?).
Well, I'll certainly try! To clarify, I might include a tossup asking 'name the person who killed these characters', and show various deaths from the Halloween franchise, or show stills from the opening sequence of Die Hard and ask for a name (or description) of the scene.
Frances Clark-Murray
Oxford '19 (Quiz Society President '17-'18)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Ah, excellent. Sounds like good fun.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

UlyssesInvictus
Yuna

Post by UlyssesInvictus »

Slightly Less British wrote:
Cheynem wrote:I'm intrigued how you can ask these things in a visual tournament (unless you mean this is just a tournament about visual trash?).
Well, I'll certainly try! To clarify, I might include a tossup asking 'name the person who killed these characters', and show various deaths from the Halloween franchise, or show stills from the opening sequence of Die Hard and ask for a name (or description) of the scene.
Loving these ideas. Real excited, there's a lot of potential here.
Raynor Kuang
quizdb.org
Harvard 2017, TJHSST 2013
I wrote GRAPHIC and FILM
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Did this happen?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota