PHSAT XXVI at Princeton University (9/29/18)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Jack
Lulu

PHSAT XXVI at Princeton University (9/29/18)

Post by Jack »

The Princeton University Quiz Bowl club is pleased to (finally!) announce that Princeton High School Academic Tournament (PHSAT) XXVI will take place on Saturday, September 29, 2018. We intend to use an NAQT IS set, as we have done in the past. The tournament will be structured as a series of bracketed, round-robin preliminary matches followed by re-bracketed round-robin playoffs and consolation rounds after lunch. We will be using untimed NAQT rules for this tournament, and we will be skipping computational math tossups and bonuses. PHSAT XXVI is intended for schools and teams who are looking for an early season, competitive tournament with other competitive schools.

Any questions about the tournament may be directed to me. Please use jacke (at) princeton.edu to contact me.

Location and Check-in:
Check-in will begin at 8 am in McCosh Hall, Room 10 on the Princeton University campus and will close at the latest by 8:40. Matches will begin around 9:00am. This is the same location as last year. Visitor parking will be available for the tournament. When we receive information about the location of our visitor parking, all registered coaches will receive an email, and this post will be updated to include the location.

As with last year, both the Frist Campus Center and McCosh Hall will be used. A map of the Princeton University campus can be found here

NOTE: McCosh Hall is located to the north of Frist Campus Center and should not be confused with McCosh Health Center, which is located to the south of Frist.

As of now, not all locations have not been finalized with the university. In the event of any changes to a location, all registered teams will be notified immediately via email (and this post will be updated with that information).

Registration and Fees:
The initial field cap is 24 teams. With interest and buzzer/staff support, we will expand the field. Our maximum field cap is 36 teams. As with last year, we will have a competitive/standard split if there is enough interest.
First Team: $80
Additional teams: $65 per team

Buzzer discount: -$5 per consistently functional system that allows for at least eight players.
Moderator discount: -$10 per experienced moderator. A moderator must be available to help for the entirety of the tournament in order to receive the discount. Moderators will also be provided with lunch.

Minimum fee: $50

Payment can be made in the form of cash or a check on the day of the tournament. Checks should be made out to “Princeton University Quiz Bowl.”

To register for the tournament, please fill out this Google Form. After registering, you will receive emails from me ([email protected]) in the time leading up to the tournament. Please note that registering for the tournament is a commitment to stay for the whole tournament (barring any unforeseen circumstances). We understand that, in previous years, teams left when tournaments experienced extreme delays. However, some teams last year left prior to the beginning of the consolation rounds without notifying us, ruining the experience for other teams who paid money to play a number of games. Should a team leave unannounced in this fashion without a legitimate reason, we may charge this team a financial penalty if they want to attend a future Princeton tournament.

Lunch:
Lunch will not be provided, except to staff. A number of eating options are available on Nassau Street at the north end of campus. Teams can also purchase lunch at the Frist Campus Center. Note that most places on Nassau street tend to be on the pricier side, so keep that in mind. If you plan on packing lunch, there are lots of tables in Frist Campus Center that you and your team can use.

Field List (33/36) (teams/buzzers/staffers):
Competitive:
Hunter A
Hunter B
Hunter C
West Egg
St. Joe's
Mountain Lakes A
Mountain Lakes B
Kellenberg A
Kellenberg B
High Tech A
High Tech B
High Tech C
Lawrenceville A
Robert Harp
East Brunswick A
East Brunswick B
Delaware Valley
Wallenpaupack A
Thomas Jefferson Classical
Wilmington Charter
Greens Farms
Trinity A
Millburn A

Standard:
Mountain Lakes C
Wilton
Middlesex County Academy
Kellenberg C
Lawrenceville B
High Tech D
Trinity B
Trinity C
Millburn B
Wallenpaupack B

Finally, we know that, in the past, PHSAT tournaments have been notoriously unpredictable in quality and at times have been downright abysmal. We want all the schools to know that we are serious about making this PHSAT and all future PHSATs high-quality events that you can trust to be fun, worth your money, and efficient. We have made the following changes this year to PHSAT:
Smaller field cap. Our maximum field cap has been decreased to 36.
Improved logistics. This year, we have two co-tournament directors. Assuming we enact the field split, each TD will be orchestrating each division (last year, the TD was in charge of the whole tournament).
Better lunchtime! We felt that one of the biggest issues to last year's PHSAT was that our lunch break occurred before the end of the preliminary rounds. This resulted in too many unneeded headaches for staff and players. Lunch will be after prelim rounds have concluded.
Stats uploaded within 24 hours.

We're looking forward to a great tournament. Hope to see you there!
Last edited by Jack on Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 30 times in total.
Jack
Bermudian Springs HS
Princeton University '21
alexdz
Rikku

Re: PHSAT XXVI at Princeton University (10/29/18)

Post by alexdz »

FYI... September 29 is 9/29/18.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
Jack
Lulu

Re: PHSAT XXVI at Princeton University (10/29/18)

Post by Jack »

alexdz wrote:FYI... September 29 is 9/29/18.
Whoops :aaa: .. title has been fixed
Jack
Bermudian Springs HS
Princeton University '21
elyne road
Lulu

Re: PHSAT XXVI at Princeton University (9/29/18)

Post by elyne road »

Wilmington Charter would like to register 1 team and 3 buzzers. However, I would like to ask about the use of the Frist center as another building to host games. Last year, it seemed that the building was only used for playoffs for the top bracket. Are there similar plans for this year, or can we expect the building to be utilized for preliminary games as well?
S. A. Shenoy (they/them)

Georgia Tech 2024
Charter School of Wilmington 2019
Jack
Lulu

Post by Jack »

Last year, I believe the Frist Center was used for the lower bracket's preliminary games, and then switched for the playoffs to the competitive playoffs. This year, teams should expect to be in the same building for both preliminary and playoff rounds.

I can also now say that we are officially using NAQT IS-177 as our tournament set. An email to all registered coaches and teams will be sent soon containing some of this information.

Also, note that our initial cap has been reached. We have received strong interest beyond 24 teams, and we will look to expand the cap very soon. Thank you for your patience, everyone!
Jack
Bermudian Springs HS
Princeton University '21
Subotai the Valiant, Final Dog of War
Wakka

Post by Subotai the Valiant, Final Dog of War »

Please add a 3rd team for Hunter when the field expands. Thanks!
Daniel, Hunter College High School '19, Yale '23
Jack
Lulu

Post by Jack »

Information regarding logistics has been sent to all email addresses that were collected via registration. If you didn't get a logistics email last night, please let me know immediately and I will forward you the information. Thank you!
Jack
Bermudian Springs HS
Princeton University '21
Jack
Lulu

Post by Jack »

For teams who have not sent me their team, buzzer, and staffer confirmations, please do so by tonight as originally requested, or at the very least tomorrow morning. Also, note that because many teams have dropped, we do have space for more teams at this time.
Jack
Bermudian Springs HS
Princeton University '21
monty
Lulu

Post by monty »

prelim stats are available at http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/5142/
Montagu James
Princeton High School '18
Princeton University '22
Princeton Quiz Bowl Vice President 2020–2022
Jack
Lulu

Post by Jack »

So I neglected to mention this at the opening meeting this morning:

PHSAT XXVI is PACE platinum certified! The top 6 teams in competitive division should receive invitations to PACE via their placement. More to come on this after the tournament concludes.
Jack
Bermudian Springs HS
Princeton University '21
Jack
Lulu

Post by Jack »

Congratulations to our champion Hunter College HS A who won the competitive division outright after an 11 round tournament. Our runner-up was Wilmington Charter.

In the standard division, High Tech D went undefeated and won the tournament after a nine round, round robin tournament. Our runner-up was Millburn B. [Note that High Tech played a 10th match just for exhibition and lost, but this was after they won the tournament going 9-0].

Thank you all so much for making today a great tournament. I really had a great time and we hope you enjoyed the tournament and competition. I would especially like to thank Doug Simons, Alex Dzurick, Patrick Matthews, Jason Golfinos, Rohan Vora, Lev Berenstein, Julia Tong, Rahul Rao-Porthuraju, Katya Rynearson, Brother Nigel, Brian Lu, and Ryan Neenan for their help staffing the tournament. We literally could not have done this without you.

Stats are uploaded here at this link. We are well aware that the bonus conversion of many competitive teams is flawed. We will fix these tomorrow. Please feel free to email me (jacke @ princeton.edu) if there are errors (which some of you already have).

Also, if you would like to air your grievances or shout your praises about the set, feel free to follow this link here. This is the set feedback form for the 2018-19 season.
Jack
Bermudian Springs HS
Princeton University '21
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Congratulations to all the teams who competed today! There were a ton of really competitive games in all the divisions I read for.

I also want to make sure that Jack, Jared, and the rest of the Princeton team are commended for resolving several of the issues that previously plagued PHSAT and getting this tournament completely wrapped up well before 5:00 pm. Brackets appeared to be well-organized and there were tons of signs to help direct teams in the labyrinth that is McCosh Hall. Kudos to Princeton!
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
Jack
Lulu

Post by Jack »

I've fixed all the stat mistakes, but I'm having trouble getting SQBS to organize all the teams by the divisions we had in place for the playoffs in the competitive bracket. I'll take another crack at SQBS tomorrow and then upload them. Thank you all for your patience. Also, if you have any last stat corrections you'd like us to make, please let me know as soon as possible so I can fix them tomorrow before I upload the combined stats.
Jack
Bermudian Springs HS
Princeton University '21
The Blind Prophet
Lulu

Post by The Blind Prophet »

Will the stats for this be put on NAQT?
Jonathan Shauf
TJ Classical 2020
UNC Chapel Hill 2024

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

jonathanshauf wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:11 amWill the stats for this be put on NAQT?
When they are sent to us (or very soon thereafter).
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

This is the 2018-19 High School Set Feedback Form. This is used to return feedback on the question set you played to the team that put the set together. Meaningful, constructive feedback from those that were at this tournament, whether as a staffer, coach or player, is welcome via this form.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator