CO Discussion

Old college threads.
Rothlover
Yuna

CO Discussion

Post by Rothlover »

Since the Mill is over, it would seem like its that time of year to start the CO hot stove. Who is going, in team or FA form, predictions, including for the subject events etc. I will add a poll once we have a good idea as to what teams will be attending. I am currently a FA, so I guess that gets the ball rolling discussionwise; if you need a niche 4th, or an anchor to a solidly awful team, my e-mail is humanstainremover at gmail dot com. Also, is there interest in a packet sub trash-style event on the Sunday of CO? I know of a few people who expressed interest, and I felt last year's was quite enjoyable, what with the different distribution and interesting field.

So, yeah, discuss away.
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Do we know what the teams are yet?
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

I was hoping people would confirm rosters on here. I have a few of the potential teams, but I wouldn't want to post anything w/o approval of the people on said teams.
Dan Passner Brandeis '06 JTS/Columbia '11-'12 Ben Gurion University of the Negev/Columbia '12?
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I'll be playing with the noted hand model Seth Kendall. We may be joined by the recently unconjoined Young Turks Billy Beyer and Sean Platzer (the latter recently having finished his Valencia career).

I reckon all of the above will be interested in all of the side tournaments but the science one. I'd like to play Sunday trash, but will admit now to being too busy to write a pack, so I lazily would hope that someone else would do the work.
salamanca
Lulu

You asked for it, you got i!

Post by salamanca »

Just cuz we love all you crazy ass CO competitors-- if there is indeed enough interest [ie. at least 8-10 teams] Andrew and I have agreed to team up and write a trash tournament from scratch.

Respond here or email either of us to confirm your interest... I imagine that packet specs and cost will most likely resemble last year's incarnation and we will try to produce 10 or 11 packets for your pop culture lovin' pleasure...

Later,

Ezequiel
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Seth Samelson and myself are on a team that will contend for the Undergraduate Title at Chicago Open.

If you are an undergraduate who is really good at science, we desperately need you. Please get in contact with me.

EDIT: Nevermind, something just came up for Seth.
ktour84
Lulu

Post by ktour84 »

I'm a free agent looking for a team. If interested, email me at [email protected]
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Anyone with any updates on their team roster or free agent availability etc? We need more chatter about this, and less about the showering habits of quizbowlers.
Nathan
Lulu

Post by Nathan »

I'm looking to join up with a couple others. Will share the packet writing...

I can be reached at "[email protected]"
Nathan
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I can be reached at "[email protected]"
Nathan
Caveat emptor!!!

But Nate is one non-smelly, nattily dressed QBer.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

Since we have a decent framework of what teams are coming, I'd figure I'd weigh in, hopefully that will get something started.

Despite what I'd guess is relative science weakness vs. some other top teams (don't know how good Will/Dave are on science) I would put my money for the moment on the Yaphe/Lafer team. Lafer showed at nats how scary his knowledge base is, and I have heard rumors to the effect that this Yaphe dude can chip in with his tu's. Will has impressed me with some of the buzzes of his that I've seen, and I'd imagine Dave has his areas too.

Though I guess they don't have a 4th at the moment, I would go with WeinerNois for 2nd at this point. By most accounts, Sorice and Ulls. make a damn fearsome science pairing, and Sorice knows those things like FA and rock. Weiner has proven he can be a 1/2 on a winning team (like at last years CO), though this team doesn't have the benefit of Zeke, I am pretty sure the only person with a proven record that could match his (Paul Harold) is unavailable.

I'm figuring the competition for third will be pretty fierce. Jerry's team and the two Chicago teams have great science coverage, and Teitler knows all the other stuff too, and Jerry isn't that far behind. Ryan has lots of scary buzzes (and negs to match) and Meigs did pretty well at nats, so I'd figure he adds something. The Texas all stars also have their science, and assuming Frankel doesn't wuss out, they'll have a solid lock on drunken slurs and most FA. The NAQT team has done fairly well at past CO's, though their Mill performance was a bit disappointing, which is why I'd rate them a bit below these other 4 teams, but well within range of coming up ahead of some/most depending on how the chips land, and I'd have the SE team and Freeburg a bit under that (Freeburg obviously capable of good wins, and beshat pants level embarassing losses.)

Don't know how other teams will fall together. Lorin Burte told me he plans on coming, so we can all feel younger. Also, if anyone needs a 4th, I'm still here, ready to contribute my 7 PPG.

I will have trash thoughts once some more actual teams come together, history I honestly don't know enough about.

Thats my 2 cents. Feel free to argue, drag my name through the mud, moreso, etc.
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

Just for clarity in this potentially amusing thread, Kwartler is the fourth on the Vinokurov team and the Texas team is Frankel/Mitchell/Trey/Nance.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I'm going to be all original and put my money on the Lafer and Yaphe show... unless Seth writes us another all-science packet.
Jerry Vinokurov
smithson
Kimahri

Post by smithson »

Based on the recently updated roster, here are my picks of the week.

Meigs/ Vinokurov/Westbrook

Top 5 finish. In particular, I look forward to the 0/8 game which Westbrook is sure to put up against an opponent Meigs and Vinokurov could beat if left to their own devices.

Sorice/Ullsperger(sp?)/Weiner

The defending champs should be tough to beat, except that they are without Ezequiel, which should make them much easier to beat. Top 3 finish, unless they get some ringer to be their fourth (harder to do now that Rom has his own squad).

UIC [Rom and some folks]

Happy to be there.

Borglum/Harvey/Kendall

Lucky to reach .500.

Cohn/Ferrari/Kemezis

This team could do surprisingly well, based on the strong finish of the Cohn/Ferrari team at the Mill. Adam certainly won't hurt; I wouldn't be shocked to see this team in the top 3.

Koo/Teitler et al.

Depending on who else they get, this team could do quite respectably or could tumble into the bottom half. Let's hope for the best.

Hentzel/Pike et al.

The Mill exposed the soft underbelly of this aging cadre of stars. But it looks as if Hentzel is cutting the Waters-Hillemann deadweight from his CO team, so maybe they can avoid another bottom half finish. I won't be holding my breath.

Eric Douglass [could be a free agent or show up with a full squad]

Not enough to go on.

Nathan Freeburg [could be a free agent or just play by himsel cuz he's a true player]

Top 1 finish, baby! Or, maybe not.

Lafer/Rappaport/Turner/Yaphe

Hard to see Lafer and Rappaport not finishing in the top 3. They'll be fine if Turner and Yaphe just keep out of the way.

Aimar/Riquelme/Rodriguez/Tevez

?

Frankel(?)/Kwartler/ Mitchell et al.

I think this is now Frankel + A&M. Let's see how he does in the Romero role. My guess: top 5 finish.

Passner [could be a free agent or could be joined by Tom Waters, Jim Dendy, and Ed Markman]

Too good to be true.
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

smithson wrote: Aimar/Riquelme/Rodriguez/Tevez
Going all the way to the semifinals. Tevez with the hattrick, but lose out the Czechs.
Jerry Vinokurov
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Goddamn! We've become so irrelevant that no one even notices the fourth post in this thread in which I noted that Seth Kendall and I would not be with Amy Harvey but rather with Billy Beyer and Sean Platzer, one of my Valencians. Surely adding Billy Beyer will make folks rethink that "lucky to reach .500" stuff; wait, I see he typed "va-jay-jay" in another thread recently, so so much for that.

We're likely too science challenged to threaten the medal platform, but I wouldn't completely over look us old guys. Like Dick Cheney, when you least expect it we might shoot you in the face (though we may be aiming at someone else).
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

I don't think you are getting the short end of the stick, it just stands to be a, generally, absurdly stacked field at this point. I mean, notice how smithson (probably some Mich/Chicago dude who knows something), posited the belief that noted great Seth Teitler and solid niche player Selene Koo, plus whoever they might pick up worth some points, might fall into the bottom half of the bracket. Also, I'd be glad to play with a solid soccer club, or with the great dinosaurs of the game. It is a shame they are not coming.
Nathan
Lulu

Post by Nathan »

I will make one prediction only:

my team (whomever may be on it) will beat one team that will finish in the top 4. we will also lose to one of the bottom 3 teams (or maybe not if we finish in the bottom 3)
your mom
Lulu

Post by your mom »

My predictions, which are almost certainly correct:

1) Cohn/Ferrari/Kemezis. Doesn't even matter who the fourth is.

Too much knowledge to contend with. Adam fucking Kemezis, Susan motherfucking Ferrari, and Ed Cohn are uniting the forces of Michigan and Chicago, and they are going to be a really good team. Susan's got the classics, Adam has the science, and Ed has got the rap music.

2) Westbrook/Vinokurov/Meigs/Kwartler

Ryan Westbrook's negs are all going to magically turn into correct buzzes somehow and thus the upsets and ridiculous beatdowns of other teams will commence. Either that or Jerry will have realized what he's gotten himself into and strangle Ryan by round 3. In any case, Kwartler will be on hand to provide instrumental emotional support and serve as a true rock for a team of misunderstood individuals. Only the science knowledge of Adam will keep this team out of the top spot.

3) Sorice/Weiner/Ullsperger

Mike Sorice will get pretty mad about something at some point during the course of the day and will say "dude" a bunch of times. Andrew will maintain a considerably more calm demeanor, and Weiner will get some questions right.

4) Bruce/Seth et al

Speaks for itself.

5) Frankel/Texas people

Chris will make lots of racist comments that will prompt his teammates to shift uncomfortably in their seats and wish that they had Rome.ro back. Some games will be won, some will be lost, and some hearts will be broken, and some minorities will have no clue of the slander they have received.

6) Freeburg

The Ryan Westbrook principle, to a slightly less successful end.

7) Lafer/Yaphe/Turner/Rappaport

The Detroit Pistons of the Chicago Open, this team might bow out early. Lafer's recent ankle injury is going to hurt his productivity, and Yaphe hasn't been the same ever since he began refusing to participate in team workouts. Rappaport can't score more than 10ppg in any case, and Turner will cry softly onto Lafer's shoulder and talk about math in between his bouts of weeping for most of the tournament.

8) Teitler/Koo

Good folks, good team. Seth will have some fierce competition from Adam for dirtiest game tactics and most aggressively unsportsmanlike behavior, but he does what he's got to do, and you know what, he wins games. Perhaps Selene will keep him in check.

9) Borglum/Kendall/Billy/Sean

Word.

10) Hentzel/Pike

Actually, they'll probably do much better than tenth, but it's a tough field.
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

your mom wrote:My predictions, which are almost certainly correct:

1) Cohn/Ferrari/Kemezis. Doesn't even matter who the fourth is.

Too much knowledge to contend with. Adam fucking Kemezis, Susan motherfucking Ferrari, and Ed Cohn are uniting the forces of Michigan and Chicago, and they are going to be a really good team. Susan's got the classics, Adam has the science, and Ed has got the rap music.

2) Westbrook/Vinokurov/Meigs/Kwartler

Ryan Westbrook's negs are all going to magically turn into correct buzzes somehow and thus the upsets and ridiculous beatdowns of other teams will commence. Either that or Jerry will have realized what he's gotten himself into and strangle Ryan by round 3. In any case, Kwartler will be on hand to provide instrumental emotional support and serve as a true rock for a team of misunderstood individuals. Only the science knowledge of Adam will keep this team out of the top spot.

3) Sorice/Weiner/Ullsperger

Mike Sorice will get pretty mad about something at some point during the course of the day and will say "dude" a bunch of times. Andrew will maintain a considerably more calm demeanor, and Weiner will get some questions right.

4) Bruce/Seth et al

Speaks for itself.

5) Frankel/Texas people

Chris will make lots of racist comments that will prompt his teammates to shift uncomfortably in their seats and wish that they had Rome.ro back. Some games will be won, some will be lost, and some hearts will be broken, and some minorities will have no clue of the slander they have received.

6) Freeburg

The Ryan Westbrook principle, to a slightly less successful end.

7) Lafer/Yaphe/Turner/Rappaport

The Detroit Pistons of the Chicago Open, this team might bow out early. Lafer's recent ankle injury is going to hurt his productivity, and Yaphe hasn't been the same ever since he began refusing to participate in team workouts. Rappaport can't score more than 10ppg in any case, and Turner will cry softly onto Lafer's shoulder and talk about math in between his bouts of weeping for most of the tournament.

8) Teitler/Koo

Good folks, good team. Seth will have some fierce competition from Adam for dirtiest game tactics and most aggressively unsportsmanlike behavior, but he does what he's got to do, and you know what, he wins games. Perhaps Selene will keep him in check.

9) Borglum/Kendall/Billy/Sean

Word.

10) Hentzel/Pike

Actually, they'll probably do much better than tenth, but it's a tough field.
I wish David hadn't revealed that one of my dirty, dirty tactics is to play for more than one team. Looking over his post, I feel inspired to branch out from my listed roles on teams 4 and 8 and try playing for every team that still has space.

My own predictions: no one's predictions will be more than 70% correct.

-Seth
wturner
Lulu

Post by wturner »

I applaud Seth's policy of overlooking the existence of Seth Samelson, and plan to adopt it in all future endeavours.
Auron

I guess this is my fault for posting that I was playing with Seth Samelson, and then going ahead and playing with Seth Teitler instead.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

so, that other chicago team is nonexistant, or just other chi people?
Auron

Seth Samelson isn't playing at all, if that's what you're asking.
Rothlover
Yuna

Post by Rothlover »

I was wondering if there would be like an additional UG chicago team in some form, you know, people from your array of players that aren't you seth seth susan selene etc.
NotBhan
Rikku

Post by NotBhan »

Nathan wrote:I will make one prediction only:

my team (whomever may be on it) will beat one team that will finish in the top 4. we will also lose to one of the bottom 3 teams (or maybe not if we finish in the bottom 3)
Sweet! True to form, it appears that Freeburg's team beat a team tied for 3rd and lost to a team which was 3rd-to-last. And I believe that's the first individual game score of -35 I've ever seen.
"Keep it civil, please." -- Matt Weiner, 6/7/05
Nathan
Lulu

Post by Nathan »

"Sweet! True to form, it appears that Freeburg's team beat a team tied for 3rd and lost to a team which was 3rd-to-last. And I believe that's the first individual game score of -35 I've ever seen."

For the record, I believe that I got one tossup that game...they must have given it to Ahmad.

I should have made one other prediction -- but it seemed so obvious that I forgot to make it: my team will always defeat whichever team Borglum is on...even if it's McKenzie and two Raj's.... ;)
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Nathan, you bonehead, my team beat yours 175-125 just last year, with no McKenzies or Rajs involved. Worry about not getting two negs on the first two questions of a pack read to your team when the opposing team's not there yet (a fun occurrence I got to watch this year while my team was on a bye).

I know the History Doubles is being discussed in another thread, but I thought it featured pretty good questions. The Open itself was very fine, not as difficult (in terms of the toss-up answer space) as I had expected, and I appreciate Zeke's editing in toughening up our pack to be in line with the rest. And the trash was fun again, though I'm not that interested in the meta-qb stuff (albeit a tiny part of the distribution). Thanks to all the readers, writers and editors of all the tournaments.
Nathan
Lulu

Post by Nathan »

"Nathan, you bonehead, my team beat yours 175-125 just last year, with no McKenzies or Rajs involved."

ah that's right...will miracles never cease...

"Worry about not getting two negs on the first two questions of a pack read to your team when the opposing team's not there yet (a fun occurrence I got to watch this year while my team was on a bye)."

That had to be the most pathetic occurrence in qb history (although I believe the august Jim Baker was responsible for one of those)...