The end of the match

Old college threads.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

The end of the match

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Right now, when teams shake hands at the end of quizbowl games, it is mostly a shitshow where people are throwing their hands into a massive disorganized pile-on of players. This reeks of quizbowl. It would be better if teams stayed in the order they were sitting, faced each other, stood in lines, and walked towards each other. Anybody who played childhood soccer and remembers how they make you high five while say "good game" can relate.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
heterodyne
Rikku

Re: The end of the match

Post by heterodyne »

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) wrote:Right now, when teams shake hands at the end of quizbowl games, it is mostly a shitshow where people are throwing their hands into a massive disorganized pile-on of players. This reeks of quizbowl. It would be better if teams stayed in the order they were sitting, faced each other, stood in lines, and walked towards each other. Anybody who played childhood soccer and remembers how they make you high five while say "good game" can relate.
If you're attempting to mount a parody of recent attempts at "professionalization," you've done a wonderful job.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
$5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy
Lulu

Post by $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy »

Considering the far more substantive concerns with the game that were laid out in this thread, this seems very much not a hill worth dying on.
Sam Rombro
Arizona '20
Maryland '18
Writer, NAQT (inactive)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) wrote:Right now, when teams shake hands at the end of quizbowl games, it is mostly a shitshow where people are throwing their hands into a massive disorganized pile-on of players. This reeks of quizbowl. It would be better if teams stayed in the order they were sitting, faced each other, stood in lines, and walked towards each other. Anybody who played childhood soccer and remembers how they make you high five while say "good game" can relate.
This is the point at which you may need to chill.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Wartortullian
Rikku

Post by Wartortullian »

OK, let's get this over with: does anyone have any thoughts on gender and/or sucrose?
Matt

I am proudly unapologetic about being willing to air my own fixations to the world and believe in my heart that a community of well educated adults can execute this basic interaction in a more civilized fashion.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

I would bet good money I don't have that this is the first time most readers of this thread have actually thought anything about this, and when they go to their next tournament they will realize how aesthetically displeasing the status quo is, and will be presented with the choice to dig in their heels or strive for something better. #staywoke

ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

"This Whole Thing Reeks of Quizbowl," i holler as i overturn my team's buzzer desk and turn the 4th of July into the 4th of Shit
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I think it's good to shake hands and that teams should try to execute that maneuver in a less fumblesome way (I'm very bad at that).

I will say that there are a lot of rooms in which you play quizbowl in which you can't form a line. Like some of those ICT rooms where the people are facing each other and the only way to shake hands is to just stand up where you are and reach across the table. Or those icky classrooms where you aren't even facing the people you're playing. Sometimes like the buzzer and wires are in the way, too. I don't think we really need to codify how we shake hands; I mean at least for me I've never thought that "wow, shaking hands was so aesthetically displeasing that we need to make quizbowl more like a junior sports league."
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Geriatric trauma wrote:
"This Whole Thing Reeks of Quizbowl," i holler as i overturn my team's buzzer desk and turn the 4th of July into the 4th of Shit
having hs qb intellectuals explain to me how exactly hand shakers fucked up , and why they deserve to die
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
That DCC guy
Lulu

Post by That DCC guy »

I personally disagree and believe that the current system is better because it’s more personal. When you do the line method that u described all the meaning is taken out of the original intention of good sportsmanship. And I couldn’t tell u how many times I’ve had in my lifetime where people in those lines have told me to “fuck off” (any sport applies). So I think the current system although chaotic is better at its heart
Last edited by That DCC guy on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Austin Foos
Detroit Catholic Central 2015
Michigan State University 2016
University of Michigan 2019
2015 Pace National Champion
2014-2015 Player of the Year
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

AKKOLADE wrote:
Geriatric trauma wrote:
having hs qb intellectuals explain to me how exactly hand shakers fucked up , and why they deserve to die
my friend the only crypto currency you wanna get your hands on is this: quiz bowl hand shakes. There is a lot of quiz bowl hands and they all gotta shake
Fred Morlan
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Cherrybell Miramonte wrote:Considering the far more substantive concerns with the game that were laid out in this thread, this seems very much not a hill worth dying on.
Who else expected that link to go to the haircut thread?
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

A Very Long Math Tossup wrote:OK, let's get this over with: does anyone have any thoughts on gender and/or sucrose?
as a male who woke up with nappy hair and also had a dr pepper, pibb xtra, and a vanilla coke today, it is difficult for me to concur with the opinions of the OP
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
The Story of a Head That Fell Off
Lulu

Post by The Story of a Head That Fell Off »

AKKOLADE wrote:
AKKOLADE wrote:
Geriatric trauma wrote:
my friend the only crypto currency you wanna get your hands on is this: quiz bowl hand shakes. There is a lot of quiz bowl hands and they all gotta shake
hand shaking may annoy a lot of people, but it also helps a lot of people pretend to be sportsmanlike, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,
Jeremy "JJ" Tsai
Rutgers 2016-2019 (President 2018-2019)
"Maryland" 2019-2021
VSCOelasticity
Rikku

Post by VSCOelasticity »

Pablo Picasso 2 wrote:
AKKOLADE wrote:
AKKOLADE wrote:
Geriatric trauma wrote:
hand shaking may annoy a lot of people, but it also helps a lot of people pretend to be sportsmanlike, so, it;s impossible to say if its bad or not,
Jordan Brownstein bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad handshakes. you imbecile. you :capybara:ing moron"
Eleanor
they/she
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

https://twitter.com/dril/status/922321981?lang=en
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

That DCC guy wrote:
SNIP And I couldn’t tell u how many times I’ve had in my lifetime people in those lines tell me to “fuck off” (any sport applies). So I think the current system although chaotic is better at its heart
Good grief, where did you grow up? (Sees Austin is from the Detroit area) All right, story checks out.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth
Wakka

Post by Cosmas's Tabernacular Earth »

So that's three Jacky Li level threads in a period of just over 2 months by Charlie. Is it time we talked about NYC quizbowl's poor internet presence?
Adam Swift
RIT, 2015
marianna
Rikku

Post by marianna »

I too don't think teams need to form lines to approach each other to shake hands.

This is pretty minor, but I do think that players should shake hands with other players, make eye contact, and say "good game" or something of that sort with sincerity. Many times after a match, I've encountered players who carry on a conversation with someone else, not even looking at you or saying "good game", as they shake your hand. It just seems like they're going through the motions without even acknowledging you. Again, this is a very minor detail, compared to more problematic aspects of the game and community that we should focus our attention on, but I think we should be mindful of sincerely expressing respect for other players.
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
Hunter '14 | Chicago '18 | Stanford '24
PACE
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

Is this how Dees thinks quizbowl games end?
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

Post by ProfessorIanDuncan »

the return of AHAN wrote:
That DCC guy wrote:
SNIP And I couldn’t tell u how many times I’ve had in my lifetime people in those lines tell me to “fuck off” (any sport applies). So I think the current system although chaotic is better at its heart
Good grief, where did you grow up? (Sees Austin is from the Detroit area) All right, story checks out.
I don't know about countless times, but I've heard this happen a small but significant number of times. I grew up in the NYC metro area, so this is not just a Detroit thing. But even aside from that, those lines always felt super impersonal. No one ever ended up shaking hands, just kind of slapping each others palms and saying good game in the most monotonous way possible.

Also I'm pretty sure the reason teams lined up this way was because the teams were reasonably large and the chaotic mess that would ensue wouldn't be in any way manageable. However, two teams of four (maybe five or six) shaking hands with everyone on the opposing team is manageable without confusing everyone.

I also think it's hard to implement a system of shaking hands/showing sportsmanship, because if an individual is not inclined to be enthusiastic or genuine about it then they'll find a way to be half-hearted.
Alec Vulfson
Irvington High School '13
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Formalizing this seems like the least of our worries. If someone wanted to try and organize something a bit neater for, say, their state finals matches or a national finals, then I could see where it would be reasonable to make this congratulatory ritual a bit more neat. But for any individual match during the season? I think not.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present

Functioning on my phone has led to comedy, get rid of this post please.

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Please keep this post forever.
Fred Morlan
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Quizbowl's self hatred has really gone to some interesting places this year.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

jonpin wrote:
Cherrybell Miramonte wrote:Considering the far more substantive concerns with the game that were laid out in this thread, this seems very much not a hill worth dying on.
Who else expected that link to go to the haircut thread?
I was expecting the Jordan Palmer retirement post TBH
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020