2018 NAQT New Jersey State Championship @ Rutgers (04/07/18)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Dead Parrot
Wakka

2018 NAQT New Jersey State Championship @ Rutgers (04/07/18)

Post by Dead Parrot »

Rutgers University-New Brunswick, along with Princeton University, will be hosting the 2018 NAQT New Jersey State Championship on 04/07/2018 at our campus in New Brunswick. It will be run on NAQT's SCT-D2 set. This tournament is open only to schools in New Jersey.

Field Size: There is a soft field cap of 28 teams, which will increase as we get more staffer and buzzer commitments. In order to ensure that as many schools get to participate as possible, the first three teams of all schools that register will be entered into the field and subsequent teams will be added to a wait-list. Teams will be limited to rosters of six players.

Registration and Fees:
Base fee: $80 for your first team, $75 for additional teams
Buzzer discount: -$5
Staffer discount: -$10
Shorthanded discount (teams consisting of only 1 or 2 players): -$35
The minimum fee per team is $50, except for shorthanded teams.

To register, please fill out this form.

Please do not hesitate to email us if you have questions at [email protected].

Payment: All teams must pay by the day of the tournament. Teams that do not will be charged a $25 penalty fee. We will accept either cash or checks. No other form of payment will be accepted. All checks must be made out to “Rutgers University Academic Team”. If your school requires an invoice for payment, please get in touch with us at the email address above.

Location: The tournament will be held in Scott Hall (43 College Avenue, New Brunswick, NJ) on the College Avenue campus of Rutgers-New Brunswick.

Transportation and Parking: Teams driving to the tournament who wish to park on campus must purchase a $5 parking permit here (permits can only be purchased online on weekdays from 8am to 5pm), and use this parking deck (622 George Street, New Brunswick, NJ). Alternatively, teams can park in these off-campus facilities provided by the City of New Brunswick for a slightly higher fee. Scott Hall is also within walking distance of the New Brunswick NJ Transit station on the Northeast Corridor Line.

Schedule: Registration will begin in Scott Hall at 8am and all teams should arrive at 8:30am at the latest. There will be opening announcements at 8:45am, and we hope to begin Round 1 as close to 9am as possible. The exact format will be determined by the final field size, but in any case, teams will be placed in preliminary brackets for morning rounds and then reseeded into playoff and consolation brackets in the afternoon. All teams will be guaranteed at least eight rounds in total.

Food: Neither breakfast nor lunch will be provided at the tournament. We will supply a list of places to eat during the lunch break.

We hope to see you all in New Brunswick in April!
Last edited by Dead Parrot on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Song
Livingston '14, Rutgers '18
Dead Parrot
Wakka

Re: 2018 NAQT New Jersey State Championship @ Rutgers (04/07

Post by Dead Parrot »

Field (teams/buzzers/staffers):
"Bagel Guillotine Club" (1/0/0)
Bergen Academies (1/1/1)
East Brunswick (2/3/0)
High Tech (2/3/0)
Lawrenceville (2/3/1)
Millburn (1/1/0)
Pingry (1/0/0)
Princeton (2/1/0)
Seton Hall Prep (1/1/0)
St. Joseph (2/0/0)
Westfield (1/0/0)

TOTAL: (16/13/2)
Last edited by Dead Parrot on Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:05 pm, edited 19 times in total.
David Song
Dead Parrot
Wakka

Post by Dead Parrot »

I'm happy to announce that NJ States has been awarded platinum certification from PACE! The top 25% of the teams at this tournament will qualify for the PACE NSC in Reston, VA on June 2-3. There's still plenty of room in the field, so get those registrations in, Jersey teams!
David Song
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

The preliminary logistics email has been sent out. If your team has not received the email, please let me know (you can PM me or contact our email). If you have yet to sign up but would like to, please do so ASAP since the tournament is coming up this weekend!
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Rikku

Stats are being kept at this link.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
zeebli123
Lulu

Post by zeebli123 »

Could the report on the NASAT tryouts be posted here or on the NJ NASAT post rather than be emailed?
Michael Li
High Tech '19
Co-captain, 2018-2019
Brown '23
"Everything Michael says sounds like a song with his voice" - Arjun Nageswaran
Rikku

zeebli123 wrote:Could the report on the NASAT tryouts be posted here or on the NJ NASAT post rather than be emailed?
Yes. We will upload it all later today
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
audupa
Kimahri

Post by audupa »

Is the NASAT report on the original thread?

User was reminded to add a signature. -mgmt
Aditya Udupa
Princeton High School '18
Rikku

Congratulations to High Tech A, the New Jersey State Champions! Congratulations as well to Princeton A and St. Joes A who finished second and third respectively. Complete stats can be found here. If anything appears amiss let me know. I have all of the paper scoresheets and will happily crosscheck anything. It is currently my intention to go to the computer lab tomorrow when I have no class to enter these games, assuming I can download SQBS onto a school computer. If not I will find someone's laptop to borrow.

NASAT tryouts will be posted in the thread for NJ NASAT in the Regional Discussion. They will be up by tonight (sorry for the delay). I am going to finish compiling the stats after class. I will be emailing out the buzzpoint stats later (the set is not released publicly so I cannot post them here)
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

The playoff stats still don't include the carry-over games, so I'm wondering what the final standings were for the rest of the teams.

At the time we left, there appeared to be a 3-way tie for the second spot in the final; was that played off?
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
A_Failure
Lulu

Post by A_Failure »

jonpin wrote:The playoff stats still don't include the carry-over games, so I'm wondering what the final standings were for the rest of the teams.

At the time we left, there appeared to be a 3-way tie for the second spot in the final; was that played off?
I can't speak for the final standings, but for the tiebreaker there was a tiebreaker based off of PPG; High Tech won that and played a disadvantaged final against Princeton. St. Joe's beat Millburn in a third-place game.
Dean Ah Now
Millburn '20
Pomona '24
Rikku

A_Failure wrote:
jonpin wrote:The playoff stats still don't include the carry-over games, so I'm wondering what the final standings were for the rest of the teams.

I can't speak for the final standings, but for the tiebreaker there was a tiebreaker based off of PPG; High Tech won that and played a disadvantaged final against Princeton. St. Joe's beat Millburn in a third-place game.
This is all correct. The teams voted on breaking the tie by PPG so we did so. There are a few statistical errors I was made aware of over the course of the last weekend, which due to Nationals and now a concentrated work schedule I aim at addressing tomorrow night/friday morning. After that stats will have been completely provided to NAQT.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21