Gauging Interest in an NJ NASAT Team

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Dead Parrot
Wakka

Gauging Interest in an NJ NASAT Team

Post by Dead Parrot »

Now that NASAT is confirmed to be happening this year, are there students/parents who are interested in sending an NJ all-star team to Kentucky in June? If there is sufficient interest, Rutgers is willing to host tryouts following the conclusion of the NAQT state championship on Saturday, April 7. We will likely not be able to provide additional sponsorship or logistical support for the team, though.
David Song
Livingston '14, Rutgers '18
monty
Lulu

Re: Gauging Interest in an NJ NASAT Team

Post by monty »

I would be interested.
Montagu James
Princeton High School '18
Princeton University '22
Princeton Quiz Bowl Vice President 2020–2022
A_Failure
Lulu

Post by A_Failure »

I'd definitely be interested in trying out, but whether I can actually go to NASAT is very much up in the air right now.
Dean Ah Now
Millburn '20
Pomona '24
DogeofVenice
Lulu

Post by DogeofVenice »

I would love being able to have tryouts at Rutgers. What would the different topics for tryouts be and do you have a rough idea of what set they would be run? In any event, I bet High Tech will be well represented on the eventual Team New Jersey.
Douglas R. Simons

National History Bee JV Champion '16
High Tech '18, Captain '17-'18
NYU '22, President '21-'22
SirMrGuy
Lulu

Post by SirMrGuy »

If tryouts happen, will they be held immediately after the tournament, or during lunch/at some other time? Also, what questions are going to be read for this?
Steven Liu

Cedar Drive MS '15
High Tech '19
MIT '23
I do mathy stuff for Groger Ranks.

"I'm going insane because I miss Steven so much" -Michael Li
Dead Parrot
Wakka

Post by Dead Parrot »

DogeofVenice wrote:I would love being able to have tryouts at Rutgers. What would the different topics for tryouts be and do you have a rough idea of what set they would be run? In any event, I bet High Tech will be well represented on the eventual Team New Jersey.
Based on how Mr. Powers at St. Joe's conducted tryouts in years past, we will try to use SMT. The four topics will likely be literature, history, science, and fine arts/RMP.
SirMrGuy wrote:If tryouts happen, will they be held immediately after the tournament, or during lunch/at some other time? Also, what questions are going to be read for this?
We plan on holding them after the tournament unless there is overwhelming support for doing them during lunch.
David Song
DogeofVenice
Lulu

Post by DogeofVenice »

I will be playing SMT at Harvard next month, so that will not work. However I feel like no history tryout will be complete without me, so if you guys could figure something else out, that would be great.
Douglas R. Simons

zeebli123
Lulu

Post by zeebli123 »

So would the categories be read independently of each other? I'm not generalist, but it seems as though that method would be bad for generalists who score the most across categories.
Michael Li
High Tech '19
Co-captain, 2018-2019
Brown '23
"Everything Michael says sounds like a song with his voice" - Arjun Nageswaran
Dead Parrot
Wakka

Post by Dead Parrot »

DogeofVenice wrote:I will be playing SMT at Harvard next month, so that will not work. However I feel like no history tryout will be complete without me, so if you guys could figure something else out, that would be great.
I have contacted Jakob Myers and he has generously allowed us to use WAO II for tryouts.
zeebli123 wrote:So would the categories be read independently of each other? I'm not generalist, but it seems as though that method would be bad for generalists who score the most across categories.
The way it has been done in the past is that there are two sessions in which two categories are read concurrently (for example, history and fine arts first, then literature and science). This means that you can only try out for a maximum of two categories, one for each session. I know that this is not ideal for generalists, but we will try to schedule tryouts in a way that minimizes conflicts.
David Song
DogeofVenice
Lulu

Post by DogeofVenice »

Thanks a bunch David, those were two options I did want to pick between.
Douglas R. Simons

A_Failure
Lulu

Post by A_Failure »

Dead Parrot wrote:
zeebli123 wrote:So would the categories be read independently of each other? I'm not generalist, but it seems as though that method would be bad for generalists who score the most across categories.
The way it has been done in the past is that there are two sessions in which two categories are read concurrently (for example, history and fine arts first, then literature and science). This means that you can only try out for a maximum of two categories, one for each session. I know that this is not ideal for generalists, but we will try to schedule tryouts in a way that minimizes conflicts.
Would it be possible to add generalist(s) by voting, as described here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... 20&t=15633?
Dean Ah Now
Millburn '20
Pomona '24
Dead Parrot
Wakka

Post by Dead Parrot »

A_Failure wrote:
Dead Parrot wrote:
Would it be possible to add generalist(s) by voting, as described here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... 20&t=15633?
Oh right, I'd forgotten about that. If NJ coaches wish to form a committee to vote on players (perhaps at March Madness, as in 2014), I welcome their input.
David Song
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

As of now, Rutgers will be hosting NASAT tryouts after NJ States on April 7. The sign up sheet is here.

Since we had not originally intended to run a NASAT tryout (since we were unsure NASAT was happening), we will not be able to provide logistical support this year (though we hope to do so in the future). In other words, we will need the players who make the team to coordinate the trip themselves. We will provide whatever help we can, but we will not be able to provide a coach, book flights, etc.

We will therefore need a coach/parent who is willing to accompany the players to Kentucky for NASAT. If you are interested in NASAT, please begin seeing if anyone you know would be able to fill such a role.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
A_Failure
Lulu

Post by A_Failure »

Is there a schedule organized for tryouts or a list of who is trying out for each subject yet?
Dean Ah Now
Millburn '20
Pomona '24
Dead Parrot
Wakka

Post by Dead Parrot »

A_Failure wrote:Is there a schedule organized for tryouts or a list of who is trying out for each subject yet?
As of right now, there are 11 people signed up (sorted by category):

Fine Arts: Dean A., Monty J., Michael L., Ethan Z.
History: Dean A., Monty J., Doug S., Cole S., Ethan Z.
Literature: Dean A., Darren P., John S., Ivy W., Ethan Z.
Science: Steven L., John S., Aditya U., Ethan Z.
Other: Dean A., Monty J., Michael L., Doug S., Ethan Z.

How are things going on the logistical front? Is there "infrastructure" in place to actually send a team to NASAT? Is it possible that they can send more than one team, which could mean that everyone listed above can go without a tryout being necessary? We are happy to conduct tryouts, but we would like some confirmation that an NJ NASAT team can actually be organized first.
Last edited by Dead Parrot on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
David Song
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

It is possible to send more than one team.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Dead Parrot
Wakka

Post by Dead Parrot »

AKKOLADE wrote:It is possible to send more than one team.
My wording was a bit muddled. I meant, can the people responsible for sending the NJ team to NASAT send more than one team (or any team at all)?
David Song
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

I apologize for the delay, but since WAO II has yet to be released publicly could everyone who tried out please PM me their email or email [email protected] and we will send out the results to everyone privately.

As soon as WAO II is public we will post everything here as well.
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21