Best Song of the 2000s: HEYYYYYYYYYYYY YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Red Panda Cub
Wakka

Re: SWEET SIXTEEN: Best Song of the 2000s

Post by Red Panda Cub »

Crazy
Jesus Walks
Paper Planes
Chicago
Hey Ya!
Take Me Out
Feel Good Inc.
Hurt
Joey Goldman
Oxford '17
City, University of London '19
Quinctilius Varus
Wakka

Post by Quinctilius Varus »

Crazy by Gnarls Barkley vs. Mr. Brightside by The Killers
Jesus Walks by Kanye West vs. Toxic by Britney Spears
99 Problems by Jay-Z vs. Paper Planes by M.I.A.
Ignition (Remix) by R. Kelly vs. Chicago by Sufjan Stevens
Hey Ya! by Outkast vs. Bad Romance by Lady Gaga
Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand vs. Rehab by Amy Winehouse
Feel Good Inc. by Gorillaz vs. American Boy by Estelle featuring Kanye West
1901 by Phoenix vs. Hurt by Johnny Cash
William Golden
University of Texas at Austin '22
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

sambrochin wrote: 1901 by Phoenix vs. Hurt by Johnny Cash: This matchup is why we should've reseeded.
Honestly, though brackets are a lot of fun, I think it would be fun to do something like this in FA Cup style, where the organizer just randomly determines the pairings for each round.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Maury Island incident
Wakka

Post by Maury Island incident »

I just found out this bracket was going on but the best song of the 2000's is Umbrella.

Crazy by Gnarls Barkley vs. Mr. Brightside by The Killers - Mr. Brightside is an objectively mediocre song but fun to sing badly in the presence of other people.

Jesus Walks by Kanye West vs. Toxic by Britney Spears - A guy I used to work with who was getting a masters in audio engineering explained to me the orchestration of Toxic and I gained a lot of respect for Britney Spears. With that said, Kanye West is the greatest musical artist of the 21st century and this is one of his best songs.

99 Problems by Jay-Z vs. Paper Planes by M.I.A. - Two songs I really love but I've known all the words to 99 Problems since like middle school so I'm going with that.

Ignition (Remix) by R. Kelly vs. Chicago by Sufjan Stevens - Good party song, terrible dude.

Hey Ya! by Outkast vs. Bad Romance by Lady Gaga - Someone once said to me that he'd never met a single person who disliked this song, but apparently my mother does. I don't though.

Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand vs. Rehab by Amy Winehouse - I had never listened to Rehab before today but I like it a lot.

Feel Good Inc. by Gorillaz vs. American Boy by Estelle featuring Kanye West - This is my second favorite pop song ever after Umbrella.

1901 by Phoenix vs. Hurt by Johnny Cash - Legendary song by a legendary artist.
Colin Cantwell
Lexington '17
UVA '21
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

This is truly a difficult choice for me, because these really are two songs that jump to my mind immediately when thinking about the 2000s. I wouldn't say they are my top two, but if this were the final of this bracket, I would have no major complaints. My head and my heart are split on this, but since this is a quizbowl message board, I'm going with my head. "Crazy" is just an absolute sonic masterpiece. The lyrics aren't complicated but Cee Lo's vocal performance is fantastic, and everything Danger Mouse is doing elevates the song beyond anything else that similarly popular songs had to offer during the late 2000s. "Mr. Brightside" is a great song, and I have a few absolutely wonderful memories of connecting with people through it, but unfortunately I can't vote for it here.

I won't be so verbose with this choice: I'm not a huge fan of "Toxic," although I respect that it's a good song and an enjoyable listen. "Jesus Walks" is quintessential Kanye West, although I prefer numerous other Kanye tracks over this one. Kanye is also one of the best artists of the 21st century, so whichever selection represented him in this bracket was destined to go far, at least until it meets better competition than "Toxic."

Alright, so "99 Problems" is a fine song and I enjoy it as much as the next person, and I'm fine with the fact that it's had a successful run here, but "Paper Planes" is one of the best pop songs ever. The song has a pretty good message, sure, but it's mostly just fun as heck. The lyrics are good, the vocal performance is good, the music and effects are great, and I could listen to those gunshots all day. The song still holds up well a decade later, and can get a party rocking even now. We played "Paper Planes" at our wedding reception with the specific intention of getting people to lighten up and dance. I could go on and on in defense of "Paper Planes" and like I said before, I will keep voting for it until it's gone.

"Ignition (Remix)" is not a song I have ever liked that much. I hope it is eliminated soon and will vote for any remaining song over it. In this round, fortunately, "Chicago" is a great opponent! Sufjan Stevens has long been a favorite of mine, and "Chicago" is a big reason why. This song is utterly beautiful, both lyrically and musically, made all the more impressive by Sufjan's habit of playing several instruments.

I struggled to make this choice, because it's hard for me to actually argue that "Bad Romance" is the better song. It may not be, actually, but I enjoy it way more and I'm going big with this pick with the expectation that "Hey Ya!" is a favorite to win this matchup and the whole bracket. For some reason Lady Gaga was able to make a string of hits from 2008-2011 that made me want to dance, and this actually helped me reassess my relationship to pop music and begin to enjoy some stuff I did not really pay much attention to beforehand. "Bad Romance" is one of my favorite songs by Gaga, and when it started at her concert a couple months ago, I jumped up and down and squealed. It's a good song and I like it, so I'm voting for it.

"Rehab" is a fine song, but not exactly something I would listen to on repeat. On the other hand, I listened to "Take Me Out" on repeat for much of the 2000s. Franz Ferdinand is unfortunately not the band it was back then, but there was a time in the mid-to-late 2000s when it felt like they were in a group of rock bands (along with Arctic Monkeys, the White Stripes, The Killers, and a few more) that was going to bring the genre back to mainstream relevance. The opposite actually happened, but this song still whips.

I could actually abstain here and not really be concerned. These are decent songs but neither are great and I'm not going to talk much about them.

I am picking "Hurt" because it is objectively a better song. "1901" is a good song and I like Phoenix quite a bit, but to be completely honest, I like their other stuff more. Country music is a genre that's very important to me: I was quite literally raised on the genre (I wasn't allowed to listen to anything else until I was 10) and I learned a significant amount about the history of country music from my grandfather, who had a brief songwriting career in the 1950s. Johnny Cash has been one of my idols since I was a child and "Hurt" is an astounding performance. This song was not written from the perspective of a dying old man, but that's what it's about now.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

It is not "fa ra fa ra ra".
Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

In pre-tournament discussion, after I was told not to bother going ride-or-die for "A Thousand Miles", I said I would switch my over-the-top support for "Mr. Brightside" (my third choice, "Everytime We Touch", which is so iconic I swear I have high school memories of it despite it not existing until my junior year of college, was also left out of the tournament completely). But I said that because no one needs to go out of their way to say "Hey, you know, I think 'Crazy' is a good song." Crazy prevails, for now at least.

The Happy Gilmore joke is Kanye West at his corniest, and at this point, we're basically looking for reasons to say a given song is not the best of an entire decade. Toxic

If you don't like Jay-Z, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 Problems, but this pick ain't one. (I'm sorry)

I still don't get Sufjan Stevens, and I don't care to. Ignition

I really don't think I could ever vote against Hey Ya!, no matter what song is on the other side. If the vote was "Hey Ya!" vs "Hey Ya!", I'd just abstain.

One of the first matchups of songs I feel I could be happy winning the whole thing. I wasn't expecting to vote for Rehab, but it's such a heartbreaking song, and for all that "Take Me Out" rocks, it is--in the end--complete gibberish.

American Boy is the VCU of this bracket. Kanye's verse is excellent, and Estelle is just terrific.

Eh. 1901? Sure.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)

rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

I've said before that I find "Crazy" pretty interesting, but not at all transcendent. I also get bored with it about two minutes through, probably because its simplicity starts to wear. So does the novelty factor, as I've now heard the song multiple times. "Mr. Brightside" is probably my dark horse to win it all (if this audience cared at all for rock) for being inventive and stimulating on both vocals (is there a better chorus on this list?) and instrumentation throughout - and that great rock backbeat.

I think that at this stage the rough edges of "Jesus Walks" start to show. Not sure if it's ready to go yet, though - pretty much every line hits beautifully. "Toxic" is great from a production standpoint, but I will say that most of the lyrics are not only rather banal (and not sung), but forgettable and wholly secondary to the production.

"99 Problems" doesn't have as consistent of a lyrical sharpness as "Jesus Walks" to me (although the second verse is brilliant), and the backbeat is just bruising and incessant. For Song #2, I gave it another chance, but to be honest, I find pretty much every sonic aspect of "Paper Planes" annoying, so this is an easy decision.

"Ignition" is pretty much a perfect modern R&B song. I see where "Chicago" is coming from, but I don't find it compelling; prefer Jens Lekman for my Scandinavian self-referential navel-gazing pop. It's also far too long.

Listening to "Hey Ya!" for the 3001st time, it struck me how well mixed it was - it has all these disparate elements, but none of them seem dominant or obnoxious. I also didn't find myself wondering how long the song was until it was near the end (and to be fair, on the radio or wherever, that part was fading out).

Story time: I'd never really listened to Lade Gaga until I was on a long plane ride somewhere (Chicago?), listening to in-flight radio because I'd brought my own headphones. And one of the songs was "Bad Romance", which I thought was truly excellent without knowing who the artist was, and then I was hooked. One of the things I appreciate about it (and much of Gaga's other oeuvre) is how we reach the point where a normal pop song should typically end, and then we introduce an interesting and somewhat unexpected element which elevates the whole - which is this case is the bridge and immediately thereafter. The song effortlessly blends about three different emotional moods - 1) straightforward lust and attraction 2) the teasing burlesque of the pop singer's persona and body on display (cg. Gaga's entire career) and 3) a subtext of emotional vulnerability and need to be loved and accepted, a complexity I admire.

Anyway, that's my treatise on Lady Gaga, which I'm delivering now, because I don't have high hopes of it reaching the next round. But I'm voting for it because it makes me feel - unlike "Hey Ya!", which is wonderful to dance to, but whose mixture of upbeat music and ambivalent lyrics obscure any potential message.

I think "Take Me Out" has weaknesses (the lead guitar's screwing around most of the song, not contributing much), but I didn't love "Rehab" on the first or second pass, and it's hard not to vote for the few rock songs still alive. Also, "Rehab" has an absolutely terrible message.

"Feel Good Inc." is alright, but it isn't the Gorillaz song I like (Clint Eastwood), and it doesn't resonate as well for me. "American Boy" for sure isn't going to change the world, but it's done a good job of not shooting itself in the foot, and it's had a fortuitous draw.

"1901" is an okay rock song. That's not good enough.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
vengefulsweatermensch
Wakka

Post by vengefulsweatermensch »

Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand vs. Rehab by Amy Winehouse ABSTAIN
Nathan Weiser
LASA '14, Stanford '18, Stanford Law '24
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
p-vs-vp
Lulu

Post by p-vs-vp »

Arjun Sondhi
VP of Public Relations, Leslie's Miscellaneous Treats
University of Washington, 2014-present
University of Waterloo, 2009-2014

"Can you dance like a hippogriff?
Ma ma ma, ma ma ma, ma ma ma"

But I WANT to be stupid!
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Voting closes tomorrow night at 9 p.m.

I'm going to start counting votes soon, just to stay on top of it. If you've voted before this post and decide you want to edit your votes, please just make a note in your previous post you're changing your ballot and then post a new reply in this thread with your ballot.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
ProfessorIanDuncan
Wakka

Post by ProfessorIanDuncan »

I think I've voted against Mr. Brightside a number of times now. I need to fix that.
I'm not a huge Kanye West fan, but I definitely enjoy Jesus Walks. The verses are really good and the production quality is really high. Unfortunately, Britney Spears is one of the towering figures of 2000s pop and Toxic is by far her best song.
As I listen to it more each round and as the caliber of songs gets higher, I find it harder and harder to vote for Paper Planes. Nostalgia doesn't do enough to in the matchup here.
Most songs it takes me at least two listens to enjoy. I loved Chicago the first time I heard it. Ignition (Remix) does deserve a lot of credit for being a great party song, but if that's the basis we are judging this on then Yeah! would still be in contention.
I definitely went though a phase of listening to Hey Ya! obsessively. However, as much as I enjoyed it, I never really remember being floored by it. Back in 2008 or whenever Bad Romance came out, I think it definitely suffered from over exposure. Now that I've matured a little, I'm stunned by how good of pop song it is. If there are worthy challengers to Hey Ya!, Bad Romance is one of them.
Maybe this is a bit unfair, but I think that Rehab should be a bit more, I don't know, emotional. Coupled with the fact that I like other Amy Winehouse songs more (and thus hold Rehab to a higher bar), I think just does enough to lose the vote. Take Me Out is a great rock song, definitely among the best of the 2000's.
I like American Boy, and it definitely deserves to go this far. Estelle is fantastic in it, and the Kanye West verses are pretty good too. However, Feel Good Inc. is a song I very much enjoy and I just can't in good conscience vote against it.
I've never heard 1901 before this bracket, and even after a few listens, I'm still not really very into it. Hurt on the other hand is still an incredibly moving song. The Nine Inch Nails version is "more vulnerable", but Johnny Cash really makes it his own and that's what makes this such a good cover.
Alec Vulfson
Irvington High School '13
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Results

Mr. Brightside by The Killers 23, Crazy by Gnarls Barkley 22
Toxic by Britney Spears 23, Jesus Walks by Kanye West 22
Paper Planes by M.I.A. 26, 99 Problems by Jay-Z 19
Chicago by Sufjan Stevens 26, Ignition (Remix) by R. Kelly 19
Hey Ya! by Outkast 32, Bad Romance by Lady Gaga 13
Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand 28, Rehab by Amy Winehouse 16
American Boy by Estelle featuring Kanye West 24, Feel Good Inc. by Gorillaz 21
Hurt by Johnny Cash 32, 1901 by Phoenix 13

Next round starts tomorrow.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Voting is open until 1/27 at 9 p.m. Eastern.

Song: Mr. Brightside
Artist: The Killers
Album: Hot Fuss
Year: 2003

Song: Toxic
Artist: Britney Spears
Album: In the Zone

Song: Paper Planes
Artist: M.I.A.
Album: Kala
Year: 2007

Song: Chicago
Artist: Sufjan Stevens
Album: Illinois
Year: 2005

Song: Hey Ya!
Artist: Outkast
Album: Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

Song: Take Me Out
Artist: Franz Ferdinand
Album: Franz Ferdinand
Year: 2004

Song: American Boy
Artist: Estelle featuring Kanye West
Album: Shine
Year: 2008

Song: Hurt
Artist: Johnny Cash
Album: The Downward Spiral
Year: 2002

Your ballot:

Mr. Brightside by The Killers vs. Toxic by Britney Spears
Paper Planes by M.I.A. vs. Chicago by Sufjan Stevens
Hey Ya! by Outkast vs. Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand
American Boy by Estelle featuring Kanye West vs. Hurt by Johnny Cash
Last edited by AKKOLADE on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Morlan
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
kammajos000
Lulu

Re: ELITE EIGHT: Best Song of the 2000s

Post by kammajos000 »

Joe Kammann
Wayzata '18
Minnesota '22
Amiable Vitriol
Lulu

Post by Amiable Vitriol »

Mr. Brightside by The Killers
Chicago by Sufjan Stevens
Hey Ya! by Outkast
Hurt by Johnny Cash
luke fka olivia lamberti
daniel wright -> stevenson -> stanford
retired
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Auroni Gupta (she/her)
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

This is by far the easiest round to judge.

Abstain - neither of these songs should be here.

By my estimation, there's only one song left that can take out "Hey Ya!", and it isn't Franz Ferdinand.

It's been a great Cinderella run for "American Boy", which I didn't even vote for in Round 1.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
MiltonPlayer47
Wakka

Post by MiltonPlayer47 »

American Boy by Estelle featuring Kanye West
vs. Hurt by Johnny Cash
Steven Hanley
FSU (2004-2006)
UGA (2007-2009)
Victor Prieto
Auron

Post by Victor Prieto »

this one is mainly out of spite for you idiots voting out Crazy

this cannot be the best song of the 2000s

not gonna lie, I'm slightly surprised Estelle made it this far
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Tower Hill School '11 | Rice University '15 | Penn State University '21
Writer: NAQT (2019-present) | Writer, Editor: HSAPQ (2013-2016)
Member (and lots of other stuff): PACE (2015-present)
eliza.grames
Wakka

Post by eliza.grames »

How has American Boy made it this far???????
Eliza Grames
University of Minnesota '13
University of Connecticut '21
Zealots of Stockholm
Tidus

Post by Zealots of Stockholm »

Chandler West
Staff, Emory
Vanderbilt University '22
Auburn University '20
Good Hope High School (Cullman, AL) '16
Full Member, ACF; Member, PACE
Writer/editor, ACF, PACE, IQBT
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Mr. Brightside vs. Toxic - Part of me doesn't want to forgive "Brightside" for knocking out "Crazy", but the majority of me knows that Mr. Brightside is a fantastic song.
Paper Planes vs. Chicago - All I wanna do [bang bang ca-ching] is see Sufjan Stevens get eliminated.
Hey Ya! vs. Take Me Out - There's really no one outside of this pairing that has any business winning this tournament anymore.
American Boy vs. Hurt - Turns out that Estelle was stronger than you or I or anyone else thought at the start.
Jon Pinyan

heterodyne
Rikku

Post by heterodyne »

Toxic

Chicago

Hey Ya!

Hurt
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they
sephirothrr
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by sephirothrr »

Ramapriya
Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance
University of Louisville
duPont Manual High School
Birdofredum Sawin wrote: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:52 pmIf you don't want to be regarded as a "raving lunatic," it might be advisable to rave less, or at least to do so in a less loony manner.
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

Also, I do actually want to see Fred's mini-bracket of the 16 worst takes, perhaps because I might appear on said list.
eliza.grames wrote:
How has American Boy made it this far???????
It's had the luckiest draw of the entire bracket - so far it's beaten Radiohead's "Idioteque", "Yeah!" (split the hip-hop vote), "Feel Good, Inc." (not Gorillaz' finest song).
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
Apocolocyntora
Rikku

Post by Apocolocyntora »

Tora (she/her/hers)
Wayzata '18
Minnesota '22 (President, '20-'22)
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

heterodyne wrote:Toxic

Chicago

Hey Ya!

Hurt
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
NYU '26 (ideally)
ACF
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

Toxic

Paper Planes

Hey Ya

Hurt

I want your revenge
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
nycaqb1999
Lulu

Post by nycaqb1999 »

Ok, so I've abstained up until this point, but after seeing modern masterpiece "Crazy" beaten by only one vote, I'm jumping on in.

Besides the fact that Mr. Brightside cruelly murdered "Crazy," Toxic represents the best of what made 2000s pop so enjoyable: a diversity of influences, tight production, and infectious catchiness. Mr. Brightside pales in comparison.

Paper Planes samples the best Clash song and also like money registers, sorry Sufjan

I will vote Hey Ya! until the world comes crashing down.

I know people are surprised American Boy got this far, but circa 2008 this song was everywhere and its still super-enjoyable.
Maximilian Shatan
Founder and Captain,
Bard High School Early College Manhattan '18
Captain,
Wesleyan University '22

"beep...beep...beep" - Sputnik I
women, fire and dangerous things
Tidus

Post by women, fire and dangerous things »

Toxic

Chicago

Hey Ya!

Hurt
Will Nediger
-Proud member of the cult of Urcuchillay-
University of Western Ontario 2011, University of Michigan 2017
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Mr. Brightside [it beat Crazy for a reason]
Chicago
Hey Ya!
Hurt
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Charm Bison
Wakka

Post by Charm Bison »

Sam Brochin
Hunter College High School 2012—2018, Pitt 2019—who knows
2016/2017 HSNCT National Champion
"sam brochin take me the **** to waffle house" — Max Shatan
Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Dreams
Wakka

Post by Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Dreams »

Toxic
Chicago
Take Me Out
Hurt
Geoffrey Chen
Wayzata High School '19
UMN (dual enrollment) '19
Cornell ???
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Fat Lip
Lulu

Post by Fat Lip »

Toxic by Britney Spears
Chicago by Sufjan Stevens
Hey Ya! by Outkast
Hurt by Johnny Cash
Dustin Austin
Yukon High School '11
Redlands Community College '13
University of Central Oklahoma '15
maddiehue
Kimahri

Post by maddiehue »

Maddie Hendrick
FSU c/o '19
National Tournament of Academic Excellence Champions '14
she/her or they/them
Grinola
Kimahri

Post by Grinola »

Griffin Thompson
UCF 2017-
UCF Quiz Bowl President 2019-
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Post by Dantooine is Big! »

Young Fenimore Lee (they/them)
Stevenson High School 2017
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
alexdz
Rikku

Post by alexdz »

These were tough matchups for me, especially the last one... I really like American Boy but man, Johnny Cash's rendition of Hurt is still incredibly haunting. Just can't bring myself to vote against it.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Middle school teacher, Rohan Woods School
====
South Callaway '08 -- Mizzou '12 -- Illinois '17
SCMS coach '12-'13 -- EFIP coach '20-'21 -- RWS coach '22-present
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

merv1618 wrote:Toxic

Paper Planes

Hey Ya

Hurt

I want your revenge
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Wynaut
Wakka

Post by Wynaut »

what have i become
Kenji Shimizu
University of Michigan '18
Summit Academy North High School '13
Gemistus Pletho
Lulu

Post by Gemistus Pletho »

Rahul Rao - Pothuraju

NYU Class of 2019
The Favourite
Wakka

Post by The Favourite »

rylltraka wrote:This is by far the easiest round to judge.

Abstain - neither of these songs should be here.

By my estimation, there's only one song left that can take out "Hey Ya!", and it isn't Franz Ferdinand.

It's been a great Cinderella run for "American Boy", which I didn't even vote for in Round 1.
Everything Mik said
Tracey Hickman
Rock Creek 12
Redlands 14
Central Oklahoma 16
Coach, Murray State College (OK)
Former Coach, Coalgate Schools (OK)
Curriculum Director, Oklahoma Quizbowl Camps
Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer
Rikku

Post by Deepika Goes From Ranbir To Ranveer »

Aayush Rajasekaran (he/him or she/her)
University of Waterloo, 2016
University of Waterloo, 2018
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

Hey Ya! is the only song remaining that deserves the crown.
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Hey Ya is amazing for the first two minutes, but it slowly loses its luster, and by the end of the song I am content. Take Me Out rocks, continues to rock all the way through, and makes me want to keep rocking after the song is over.

Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food