Coaches' Workshops

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jeffburns1
Lulu

Coaches' Workshops

Post by jeffburns1 »

Can some non - Georgia coaches suggest some topics for workshops for new and experienced coaches at our fall coaches' conference? Maybe things that you do at your state organization meetings?
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

1. Preparing for state (especially if getting hosts is a problem for regional or area tournaments that lead to state).

2. How to be a better official (especially for coaches who do officiate).

3. Strategies for attracting/maintaining interest in your program.

4. Fundraising

5. Overview of important rules (especially for new coaches, and especially if there are multiple formats popular in your state).

6. Question writing (good for perspective writers who host, as a strategy for players to improve, AND as a way to demonstrate the superiority of pyramidal style over fast buzz type questions).
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I have to agree with Tegan on those.. I know I would like to attend a workshop if it had those topics...
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Here are the sessions we had in Illinois in 1997. We are hoping to have a similar event in 2007 or 2008. (If we had more money, we would be aiming for 2006 or 2007.)
A. Understanding the IHSA Terms & Conditions
B. Practice and Preparation Techniques
C. Tips for First-Year Coaches
D. Building School and Community Support
E. Hosting a Regional or Sectional
F. Vendor Display Area
G. Instructions and Tips for Moderators
H. Ask the Experts Panel - 87 years of Coaching Represented
I. Sample Match (including demonstration of common errors/penalties)
J. Organizing a Large 48+ Team Tournament
K. Gametime Strategy for Players & Coaches
L. How to Run a League
M. Academic Decathlon
N. Starting and Building a Team
O. KMO
P. Question Writing Tips
Q. Ask the Students Panel

I know that there is a lot of overlap with Egan's list here. Mr. Egan was a young coach when he attended the conference nine years ago :wink:
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Sorry to hijack this thread a bit, but I can't really think of anything to add to Mssrs Egan and Reinstein's lists.

I'll be attending the Ace camp at SEMO this year. I'm wondering how many other coaches do this. What do coaches do while there? I've heard rustlings of coaches workshops while there, which is why I'm bringing it up. Juuuust wondering.

</threadjacking>
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I'm planning on hitting the one in TN myself.. closer for me..
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

If enough coach campers want, we'll offer 2-3 coaching sessions on a broad range of topics.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

We in Illinois would also like to hear what you in Georgia are offering.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

The GATA Fall Workshop has not been set in terms of session titles/topics. Our board meets on May 19-20 to set that up.

ACE Camps topics include: how to conduct practices, funding quiz bowl programs, recruiting and keeping players, developing players' knowledge base, resources, setting goals and strategies to meet those goals plus anything coach-campers want to discuss.