Carleton Side Event Weekend (August 19th+20th)

Old college threads.
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Carleton Side Event Weekend (August 19th+20th)

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Hello everyone! This is the announcement of this year's Carleton Side Event Weekend.

Here is a list of available stuff for reference.

EDIT: The schedule and costs of the events have been posted in the next post.

XENOPHON will be moved to the late afternoon/evening of August 12th at Toronto, the same day as VETO.
Last edited by Fado Alexandrino on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Re: Carleton Side Event Weekend (August 19th+20th)

This tournament will be held on the weekend of August 19th+20th. Both days will begin at 9 AM, with the control room of Paterson 112.

The schedule of events will be:
Saturday - NASAT - $25/person
Saturday night - The Celebs - $10/person
Sunday morning - GEODUCK - $10/person
Last edited by Fado Alexandrino on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Su, OCT
Theodore
Wakka

Post by Theodore »

Carleton Campus Information post

Parking:
Due to construction, the River Building underground parking (Lot 16 near Building 43) is closed. The closest parking to that is the tall covered Parking Garage P9, seen on this map as Building 20.
Parking rates have increased from last year to $5 per day on the weekend.

Driving:
Construction also closes the stretch of University Drive near the south end of campus: between buildings 15 and 43 on the map. To compensate, the gate on Library Road that is normally closed is fully open at all times.

Food:
The World Famous Carleton buffet (Fresh Food Company in Residence Commons, building 19) is now open, but with a more limited selection than during the school year. Still recommended!
The only other on-campus alternative is Tim Hortons, a floor below the buffet, and possibly Subway in Athletics (building 9).
Nearby off-campus options are described in excruciating detail in this previous post I made, and of course, please ask Carleton people on the day of the tournament for directions/any other questions.
Ted (Ze Feng) Gan
The Pennsylvania State University, 2025
The Pennsylvania State University, 2021
Carleton University, 2019
Colonel By Secondary School, 2015

Former Executive Member of the Ontario Quizbowl Association (ONQBA), 2015-16
Former NAQT Writer, 2013-2016
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Hey due to recent circumstances, some stuff has changed:

- NASAT has been increased to $25/person. Andrej will be taking your Saturday fees as he plays everyone. Ted or Cameron will be taking your Sunday fees.
- The control room is Paterson 112
- If you don't pay Andrej. Ted, or Cameron your fees by the end of Sunday he's gonna chase you around with a $5 late fee.

If you are yet to sign up please do so by Monday evening. Please sign up on either the excel sheet or directly messaging me over social media or email (and not through a group chat)
Joe Su, OCT
Theodore
Wakka

Post by Theodore »

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR SUNDAY:

Colonel By Drive is closed from before 9 AM to 1 PM on SUNDAY. The biking starts at 9 AM, but expect the road to close before that; I'm not sure how early "before 9 AM" is, so plan accordingly.

Instead, use the Bronson entrance to Carleton. Here is a map if you find yourself at the entrance to Colonel By Drive to only find that it is closed. I recommend the blue route, but that other grey route is fine too.
Ted (Ze Feng) Gan

Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

I had a great time this weekend! I want to thank Ted, the people at Carleton, and all the staffers who helped make this such a wonderful time for me and many others.

Also, I lost my laptop bag this weekend. It is black with a shoulder strap, and contains an A/C adapter in the front pocket, a red book called 'The New Middle East' as well as a blue and black pencil case (which can be seen since the bag's zipper is broken), as well as a Lenovo G500 with a message on a piece of tape that reads 'broken hinge' or something to that effect. If you are a Carleton student or in the Ottawa area and have the time, it would be great if you went to the lost and found on a weekday. The main one is in Information Carleton at 407 University Centre (but more locations and info can be found here at https://carleton.ca/lostandfound).
Peter Cordeiro
McMaster University, 2019 +/-1
Interim President of the ONQBA
Newest Accomplishment: SCT @ Waterloo - Scored over 40PPG on a Full Team
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Thanks for coming everyone! Stats

Carleton's A team for next year beat Aayush, Jay, Shelby, and Adam while winning both games of a disadvantaged final to take the NASAT title.

Adam/Christine were tied with Aayush/Erik after the Celebs double round robin but defeated them in the tiebreaker round 40-35. We played the lightning round as speedchecks and counted them for 5 points each with no negs.

Jay and I (well mostly Jay) outright won GEODUCK after the double round robin; Everyone But Jay then beat Jay a lot of points to not a lot of points on the remaining pack s.

Sorry Peter I haven't seen your laptop bag.
Joe Su, OCT
Theodore
Wakka

Post by Theodore »

Peter13 wrote: Also, I lost my laptop bag this weekend. It is black with a shoulder strap, and contains an A/C adapter in the front pocket, a red book called 'The New Middle East' as well as a blue and black pencil case (which can be seen since the bag's zipper is broken), as well as a Lenovo G500 with a message on a piece of tape that reads 'broken hinge' or something to that effect.
Hi Peter,
I just went to the lost and found and provided them with this description, but unfortunately they did not have it. However, they said that Saturday evening is relatively recent, so I will check again with them later this week.

The description above is detailed, but the staff at the lost and found asked me if I had a photo, or if there was any ID within the bag. Please Forum PM me this information.

EDIT: I'm not at all blaming Peter, but I would just like to make a friendly PSA to remind people to watch their valuable belongings periodically if you leave them in a room, and note that doing so is at your own risk. That being said, all tournament attendees should make a collective effort to keep an eye out for suspicious behaviour/external people. To be honest, I'm not surprised that buzzers are never stolen when left in dark, closed, yet unlocked rooms. I suppose a possible thief/the general public doesn't realize how expensive they are.

Yes, this tournament, like many other quizbowl tournaments, took place in a very quiet basement of a building at the edge of a campus that felt like a ghost town on the weekend of the summer exam period, but TDs are often unable to lock and unlock their rooms.

Theft is still common at university campuses, especially if the entire tournament goes out for lunch together. Of course, you shouldn't force anybody to stay back, but kindly ask around if anybody will be staying in the rooms because they packed a lunch/are ordering in/etc.

For the specific case a laptop, I would recommend buying a Kensington keyed lock (I can find them for $10 or less on Kijiji), but even this is not bulletproof and you should still periodically check on your laptop between every couple of rounds if it is in a non-game room.
Ted (Ze Feng) Gan

Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

Hey guys, it appears my laptop bag has been found! Ted Gan is holding on to it for the time being, but if anyone is planning on travelling from the Ottawa area to Southern Ontario within the next couple weeks could pick it up, that would be very much appreciated. You can pick it up from his house in Barrhaven (contact Ted for his personal address) or at another major stop/station in the Ottawa area (e.g. Carleton). I would really prefer it sooner than later, and would like to avoid shipping fees if at all possible. If you can't that's fine, as I appreciate the fact that you even took the time to read this message.
Peter Cordeiro
McMaster University, 2019 +/-1
Interim President of the ONQBA
Newest Accomplishment: SCT @ Waterloo - Scored over 40PPG on a Full Team