MSU NASAT/Cambridge Open Mirror (7/15-16)

Old college threads.
Cheynem
Sin

MSU NASAT/Cambridge Open Mirror (7/15-16)

Post by Cheynem »

Harris will update the specific details later this week, but in case people haven't seen the thread in the discussion forum:

Michigan State is hosting a mirror of both NASAT and Cambridge Open, as well as side events, on the weekend of July 15 and 16.

The tentative plan is for Saturday the 15th to feature a mirror of NASAT, followed by in some form (probably shootout) MASSOLIT and FLOREAT. The 16th will feature a mirror of Cambridge Open, followed by probably FTP2. All of these events are open.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0 is where you should register teams for both events. The Sunday mirror might have more of an ad hoc feel of teams reading on their byes; the field should be pretty small though.

Times, locations, and pricing should be up this week.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Cheynem
Sin

Re: MSU NASAT/Cambridge Open Mirror (7/15-16)

Post by Cheynem »

Hoping to get more teams for the NASAT part--perhaps teams of doubles might be used otherwise.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Hey guys,

This is almost surely happening and we would like more teams particularly for NASAT. I'd highly encourage talented high schoolers to form a team because you could learn a lot from this set. We are also running some other side events including my trash set FTP 2 if that appeals to you.

Both days of quizbowl will take place in Berkey Hall near Grand River. Please note that this is not the place where our mirror of ACF Regionals was back in February. Meet in Berkey Room 100 at 9 am for NASAT on next Saturday and probably 8:30 for CamO on Sunday.

There are a lot of food and parking options near Berkey Hall and I would recommend parking off campus near Grand River because it is cheaper. If you have any questions about logistics or schedule, feel free to email me or Mike Cheyne. We hope to have a fun weekend of quizbowl and we'd like as many as possible to partake!
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

I'd be fine splitting into doubles (thus ensuring my mediocre generalism gets rewarded more).

edit: Also, I have heard that players from Chicago will be making the trip up, which should increase the field size somewhat.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
khannate
Lulu

Post by khannate »

Granny Soberer wrote:Also, I have heard that players from Chicago will be making the trip up, which should increase the field size somewhat.
This was originally the plan, but won't be happening due to a lack of interest.
Samir Khan
UChicago '19
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

We currently have 9 people signed up for NASAT...if we can get to 16, we'll probably do 4 teams of 4. Otherwise, we can do doubles (and some teams of 3).

Cambridge Open has a decent amount of people. We'd need to have at least 5 teams to make sure people on bye can staff.

I'll let Harris figure out the FTP2 format.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Just got a list of rooms for this event. Registration and set up will be in Berkey 207. Please bring buzzers if you have them for both days. I have a set but I'd like at least two more and I can give discounts if that will entice people to bring them. I will update this post will fee schedule later, but we are at least running NASAT, MASSOLIT, CamO, and FTP 2.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'll be e-mailing participants later in the week once we have a rough idea of how many people there are--in some cases, some teams might have to be broken up or combined so we have a proper/fair field.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Yeah, that's a thing
Lulu

Post by Yeah, that's a thing »

Is there official pricing information for the NASAT portion yet?
Connor Teevens
Detroit Catholic Central '11
Michigan State University '15
Arch Stanton
Lulu

Post by Arch Stanton »

Progcon wrote:Just got a list of rooms for this event. Registration and set up will be in Berkey 207. Please bring buzzers if you have them for both days. I have a set but I'd like at least two more and I can give discounts if that will entice people to bring them. I will update this post will fee schedule later, but we are at least running NASAT, MASSOLIT, CamO, and FTP 2.
Is there still a possibility of FLOREAT happening?
Dillon Edwards
ex-MSU
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Arch Stanton wrote:
Progcon wrote:Just got a list of rooms for this event. Registration and set up will be in Berkey 207. Please bring buzzers if you have them for both days. I have a set but I'd like at least two more and I can give discounts if that will entice people to bring them. I will update this post will fee schedule later, but we are at least running NASAT, MASSOLIT, CamO, and FTP 2.
Is there still a possibility of FLOREAT happening?
We hope so but neither Mike nor myself have the packets at this moment.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I got the packets, so hopefully...yes. I would guess probably as a shootout of just tossups.

A tentative schedule might be:

SATURDAY
*NASAT
*MASSOLIT and FLOREAT as shootouts (a number of people have heard MASSOLIT, we'll see the extent of interest) or if there's time, longer events

SUNDAY
*Cambridge Open
*FTP2 in format to be determined
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Things Fall Apart
Kimahri

Post by Things Fall Apart »

I'm currently living in East Lansing (literally like 5 minutes away from Berkey), so I'd be more than willing to play any and all of this if someone wants me on their team.
Conner Reynolds
DCC '16
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Please get teams finalized on the spreadsheet in the next few days. If you're planning on playing and haven't signed up yet, please do so.

NASAT: Cost is $15 a person. Barring a sudden influx of teams, we will probably be doing 4 teams, and some teams might have 3 people.

CamO: Harris will have pricing information soon. There will be five teams of probably around 3 people each.

MASSOLIT and FLOREAT will probably be shootouts and will be $5 each. FTP2 will hopefully be doubles and is also $5.

The current schedule is also looking more like FTP2 will be on Saturday and MASSOLIT will be on Sunday, as a few people have already heard that set.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Sarod Nori
Lulu

Post by Sarod Nori »

Is putting a team up on the spreadsheet enough to register or is there a separate process needed to officially "register" for the tournament?
Sarod Nori
Okemos '18
Illinois '22
Cornell '25
Sarod Nori
Lulu

Post by Sarod Nori »

Also, is Berkey 100 or Berkey 207 the registration and set up room? I am assuming Berkey 207 but just want to make sure.
Sarod Nori
Okemos '18
Illinois '22
Cornell '25
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Hi guys,

This should be the final schedule and pricing update.

Saturday:

-NASAT will start at approximately 9 am. I'm driving in from Wayne County in the morning so I'll be there around 8:30 ish. Meet in Berkey 207 for buzzer dropoff and registration. We will start as soon as possible but I don't think there will be much delay due to the number of teams. Cost will be 15 dollars per person playing. We will do at least a 4 team round robin (9 games) and may run more games if there is interest.
-FTP 2 will start when ever NASAT is finished. It will cost 5 dollars per player and there are 5 packets. I'd prefer if this was played as doubles.
-We will the run the film set FLOREAT after FTP 2. This will also cost 5 dollars and it will probably be run as a shootout so there won't be bonuses.

Sunday:
-Cambridge Open will start at approximately 8:30 in Berkey 207 and it will cost 60 dollars per team. We have 5 teams right now so teams will read when they are on bye. I'd advise the remaining free agents to join teams.
-After CamO, for those that haven't heard it, we will be running a shootout of MASSOLIT. It will cost 5 dollars as well.

We hope people have a great time in East Lansing. Let me know if there are any issues.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Stats. Please tell me if there are any errors or issues. Saul and Greg's team beat Dillon, Conner R. and Connor T.'s team in the first game of an advantaged final.

Thanks to everyone for coming out. I hope people had a good time.

Edit: Here are the stats for CamO. We had teams read on their bye, and a team of Mike Cheyne, Sid and Kenji beat Saul and Kurtis in a one game final.
Harris Bunker

at least semi-retired