Open summer practices at the University of Michigan

Old college threads.
Beast Mode
Lulu

Open summer practices at the University of Michigan

Post by Beast Mode »

Starting next Monday (May 1), the University of Michigan quiz bowl team will once again be holding summer practices open to all. They'll be on Mondays and Wednesdays from 7:00-9:00 p.m. in the University Activities Center (UAC) office, which is on the fourth floor of the Michigan Union (530 South State Street). If you're driving in, street parking will be free after 6:00 p.m., so I recommended trying to park behind the Union on Thompson Street, Jefferson Street, or Maynard Street.

Unsurprisingly, we'll be reading mostly college questions, but if we get a good turnout of high schoolers leading up to their nats, we can also throw in some old NSCs, NASATs, or whatever they want to practice with. We'll also do occasional non-quiz bowl things like getting dinner before practice, or going to one of the movies at the Ann Arbor Summer Festival afterward.

This thread will be the place to look for any updates (like if we have to cancel a practice). You can post in this thread or email me (sehankin [at] umich [dot] edu) if you have any questions.

We hope to see lots of you there! These things are way more fun with more people.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
formerly of Michigan and Columbia
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Re: Open summer practices at the University of Michigan

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

Would it be possible to Skype in?
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
Kilroy Was Here
Rikku

Post by Kilroy Was Here »

Sit Room Guy wrote:Would it be possible to Skype in?
It would not be. We've had issues with skype in the past and want to restrict practices to people actually there.
Collin Parks
University of Michigan '18

"Aragorn was the famed king of Gondor, while the Iberian kingdom was Aragon. Both parties were aware of this coincidence: we have a journal entry from Aragorn that expresses his anger at receiving mail meant for King Peter IV of Aragon for the umpteenth time."~ CommodoreCoCo
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Can we go to a Tigers game?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Cheynem wrote:Can we go to a Tigers game?
I was planning on attending some of these when I could, but I would also certainly attend one of if we meet at U-M then drive to Comerica. Tickets are pretty cheap for weekday nights during the school year.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Because the Union will be closed on Memorial Day (this coming Monday, May 29), practice that evening is cancelled. We'll resume the following Wednesday (May 31).
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Pilgrim
Tidus

Post by Pilgrim »

I assume these are happening as normal this week? I'm in town for a conference and can hopefully drop in.
Trevor Davis
University of Alberta
CMU '11
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Pilgrim wrote:I assume these are happening as normal this week? I'm in town for a conference and can hopefully drop in.
Indeed they are. I'll be out of town on Wednesday the 14th, but others will presumably be there. (PSA: on days when I can't make it to practice and unlock the UAC office, practice happens on the red couches right next to the office.)
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Sarod Nori
Lulu

Post by Sarod Nori »

Will there be practices as usual this week? Also, when will the last practice be?
Sarod Nori
Okemos '18
Illinois '22
Cornell '25
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Sarod Nori wrote:Will there be practices as usual this week?
Yes.
Sarod Nori wrote:Also, when will the last practice be?
I honestly haven't given this any thought. I figure practices will continue at least until our side event weekend, including one the night of Friday the 18th; if people are interested/available after that, I don't see why they couldn't continue up until Labor Day weekend. (Our semester starts the day after Labor Day.)
I, in the first post of this thread, wrote: We'll also do occasional non-quiz bowl things like getting dinner before practice, or going to one of the movies at the Ann Arbor Summer Festival afterward.
As long as I'm posting, I should mention that these have started and are free to attend. This Wednesday's movie is Good Morning, Vietnam, and next Wednesday's movie is The Force Awakens. Anyone who wants to join me for these should bring their own canvas chair (or whatever) to sit on, and should remember that outside food and beverages aren't allowed.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

next Wednesday's movie is The Force Awakens.
When will they actually show good movies?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I will probably be at next Wednesday's practice, assuming finishing NASAT does not kill me or Saul Hankin. Assuming it doesn't, I'll have a brand new film packet to read too.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Are there dinner plans for Wednesday?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Cheynem wrote:Are there dinner plans for Wednesday?
Yep. Dinner will be at 5:30 at the Red Hawk Bar & Grill; despite the name, I can assure everyone that this is a totally appropriate place for all ages, and my family has been fond of it for years. Red Hawk is located at 316 South State Street. This is right by where State Street intersects North University Avenue, and Red Hawk is between 7-Eleven and Amir's Delicatessen. Anyone who's interested but would have to come late is still welcome, of course. My parking advice remains the same as for a normal practice, except that on the street you'll need to feed the meter enough to last you till 6:00.

I'll say yet again that after practice, I hope everyone can come to the Force Awakens screening at 10:00, where me and Dr. Mike Cheyne will be doing commentary in the proud tradition of Statler and Waldorf. (Thanks to Bryan Berend for showing me that video.) I can put up a few people at my apartment, so email me if you'd need a place to crash that night. If you'll be driving into town and staying overnight, I recommend parking in the residential area bounded to the west by State Street and to the south by Huron Street (streets like Thayer, Catherine, Ann...). If you find nothing there, there's also free residential parking in the area south of Hill Street and east of East University Avenue (streets like Church, South Forest...).
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Sorry for the late notice on this; I was out of town over the weekend, and just got back today.

Tonight's practice is cancelled, since it's Fourth of July weekend. We'll resume this Wednesday, July 5.

EDIT: Wednesday is July 5, not July 6
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Practice is cancelled tonight because me and Kenji are wiped from MSU's weekend of quiz bowl (which Harris ran masterfully). We'll resume this Wednesday (July 19).

I'm currently on my phone and will edit this post with more details later, but know now that we'll be doing another pre-practice dinner this Wednesday at 5:30.

EDIT: Details below.

This Wednesday's pre-practice dinner will be at 5:30 at NeoPapalis, which is located at the corner of William Street and Thompson Street, on the ground floor of the Zaragon building.

My parking recommendations remain the same as ever, but everyone should be aware that it's once again the time of year when the minions of evil unleash the Ann Arbor Street Art Fair on our poor city. Wednesday night is when they'll be setting up, and so some streets in the vicinity of NeoPapalis and the Michigan Union will be closed. If you're like me and are set on avoiding parking in that area, you can follow my example and park in the School of Nursing lot at 426 North Ingalls Street.

(Note that the Art Fair will end on Sunday the 23rd, and so it shouldn't affect practices next week.)

After dinner, Michigan great turned subversive Will Nediger will be going to see Stop Making Sense at the Michigan Theater at 7:00, and interested cool kids can join him for that. Concurrently, I'll be running practice as usual for the real nerds.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Chicago Open has left us even more wiped, so we're cancelling tonight's practice. We'll resume this Wednesday (July 26).
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

The Union has been closed because of electrical failure, so we're relocating to my apartment for tonight:

311 Thompson St, Apt 6

It's right next to the Thompson/Maynard parking structure. Press the "6" button when you get to my front door, and I'll come get you.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

The Union is still closed, so tonight we're in room 3333 of Mason Hall (the Diag-facing portion of the building north of the art museum, on the other side of State Street from the Union).
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)
Beast Mode
Lulu

Post by Beast Mode »

Last night concluded this summer's practices. We'll be back at it next summer.
Saul Hankin (he/him/his)