Travel to HSNCT

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
LaurenJernstadt
Lulu

Travel to HSNCT

Post by LaurenJernstadt »

I could use some help guys! My team is debating whether or not we want to drive or fly down to Atlanta for HSNCT. Although flying is more convenient, it is more expensive, and my coach is worried about the transit line being too confusing and hectic. We could drive, but it is twelve hours one way not accounting for traffic, and I hear Atlanta traffic can be pretty bad. My coach decided to leave it up to us, but he wants an answer by the end of the school day. Any opinions guys?

Note: Our airline tickets so far are about $300.
Lauren Jernstadt
Fulton High School Varsity Captain
2016-2017 Quiz Bowl Season
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Re: Travel to HSNCT

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I attended HSNCT once as a moderator. I had never been to Atlanta before. I was able to easily take the MARTA (public transit) from the airport to just a few blocks away from the HSNCT hotel. I would recommend it. I don't think you even have to transfer trains.

Apparently, the local population in Atlanta dislikes riding MARTA, so it's not very crowded. My train seemed to be mostly people with luggage traveling to the parts of downtown Atlanta where there are a lot of hotels.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

Seconded -- the Airport is at one end of MARTA, and your straight shot to downtown is 15-20 minutes. Reaching MARTA from the terminal is straightforward. Reaching your hotel from your exit station should only require a sense of direction.
Stephen Fontenot
Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance Deputy Director
Communications, UT Dallas
Strake Jesuit '96 -+-+- Southwestern '00
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

Fly. As someone who has done that drive (and also drove to Dallas for that HSNCT), it's best avoided if possible.

You also get the bonus experience of the escalator from the MARTA station at the mall connected to the tournament hotel, lovingly referred to by more than one NAQT staffer as "that effing thing"...but I'll take that over the drive any day.

Also, if anyone prefers Hilton to Marriott and doesn't mind a bit of walking, you can get a quad occupancy room there for $95 + tax if you prepay the Spring Getaway rate. Two nights prices out at $232.58 after taxes.
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Late to the game here, but yeah, MARTA is super easy (never mind cheap) from Hartsfield to the Peachtree Center. I hope you get a chance to go. You'll love the experience!
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Atlanta is very easy to get around through transit; I'd recommend that.

BTW, is the Fulton HS you go to the one in Middleton? You're about a hour from where I live--cool to see that region play stuff.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger