Great Quizometrical Survey

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Great Quizometrical Survey

Post by A Dim-Witted Saboteur »

An earlier post in the Midseason Poll thread led me to the realization that
a) there's a gap in HS quiz bowl where a good national player poll should be and
b) I'm pretty well equipped to fill it, since I am a High School Senior with lots of time on his hands.

That's why I am going to try to run a national players' poll. The methodology will be as follows:
1) The country is divided in a 9 or so circuits based on, but not exactly following, HSQB's Comparison/Discussion forum regional categories. Each circuit is intentionally woolily defined so as to base classifications on where a team attends tournaments rather than strict geography.
2) People from each circuit (if you'd like to be one of these people, PM me. Your help would be really greatly appreciated.) send ballots to 10-20 people in their circuit. I would do this myself, but I do not know 25 quiz bowl players in, say, Texas.
3) The recipients of said ballots rank the top ten schools in their circuit
4) The resulting top tens will be combined into a national ranking based on head-to-head matches (when available), adjusted power rates, and adjusted PPBs. A top-40 list will be created from this data (as it is somewhat unlikely that more than 10 teams from any one circuit would be in the top 40, this will be the cutoff)
5) ??????
6) Profit

Kevin Kodama and I will coordinate stuff on a national level. Direct any questions to either of us.
If you feel as though the regions could be better defined, I remain open to suggestions.
Regional ballot coordinators:
Greater Illinois- Kevin Kodama, Jakob Myers
Mid-Atlantic- Luke Tierney, Casey Wetherbee
New England- Nick Rommel, Michael Borecki
Upper Great Lakes- Devin Humphreys
Lower Southeast (AL, MS, GA, SC, FL, LA) - Tracy Mirkin, Rishik Hombal, Min Kim, Akaash Para
NorCal-Eliot Williams (5 slots)
SoCal-Daniel Wang (5 slots)
Upper Southeast (KY, AR, TN)- Jack Lewis
Missouri-Michael Powers (5 slots)
DC Metro- Anson Berns
Lower Great Lakes- Rohin Devanathan, Agustin Garcia
Greater Texas- William Golden
Last edited by A Dim-Witted Saboteur on Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:57 am, edited 11 times in total.
Jakob M. (they/them)
Michigan State '21, Indiana '2?
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Re: Great Quizometrical Survey

Post by High Dependency Unit »

Will teams ranked 1-10 in a region absolutely be ranked in that specific order on the national ballot?
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

2013 in amusement parks wrote:Will teams ranked 1-10 in a region absolutely be ranked in that specific order on the national ballot?
Barring a really, really, big statistical anomaly, yes.
Jakob M. (they/them)
"No one has ever organized a greater effort to get people interested in pretending to play quiz bowl"
-Ankit Aggarwal
Antrobus63
Wakka

Post by Antrobus63 »

Ah, young people. The future is yours.
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88
Coach, Moravian Academy History Bowl 2020-23
Lehigh Valley Academy 2016-18
Pennsylvania NASAT '15, ‘18, ‘22, '23
Owner and Teacher, Prepare Test Preparation
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Antrobus63 wrote:Ah, young people. The future is yours.
Not if we dedicate as much time as I do to quizbowl metagame, it isn't.
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

OK. Everything is proceeding apace for things to start after the state tournaments on the 18th, but I still need coordinators for the West (read: California) and Kentucky or Tennessee (All due respect, I don't think one guy from Missouri is adequate coverage for that region). If anyone has contacts in the region who might be willing to do this or is from that region themselves, please PM me.
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

JakobeanEra wrote:An earlier post in the Midseason Poll thread led me to the realization that
a) there's a gap in HS quiz bowl where a good national player poll should be and
b) I'm pretty well equipped to fill it, since I am a High School Senior with lots of time on his hands.

That's why I am going to try to run a national players' poll. The methodology will be as follows:
1) The country is divided in a 9 or so circuits based on, but not exactly following, HSQB's Comparison/Discussion forum regional categories. Each circuit is intentionally woolily defined so as to base classifications on where a team attends tournaments rather than strict geography.
2) People from each circuit (if you'd like to be one of these people, PM me. Your help would be really greatly appreciated.) send ballots to 10-20 people in their circuit. I would do this myself, but I do not know 25 quiz bowl players in, say, Texas.
3) The recipients of said ballots rank the top ten schools in their circuit
4) The resulting top tens will be combined into a national ranking based on head-to-head matches (when available), adjusted power rates, and adjusted PPBs. A top-40 list will be created from this data (as it is somewhat unlikely that more than 10 teams from any one circuit would be in the top 40, this will be the cutoff)
5) ??????
6) Profit

Kevin Kodama and I will coordinate stuff on a national level. Direct any questions to either of us.
If you feel as though the regions could be better defined, I remain open to suggestions.
Regional ballot coordinators:
Greater Illinois- Kevin Kodama, Jakob Myers
Mid-Atlantic- Luke Tierney, Casey Wetherbee
New England- Nick Rommel, Michael Borecki
Upper Great Lakes- Devin Humphreys
Lower Southeast (AL, MS, GA, SC, FL, LA) - Tracy Mirkin, Rishik Hombal, Min Kim
The West-
Upper Southeast (MO, KY, AR, TN)- Michael Powers (MO),
DC Metro- Anson Berns
Lower Great Lakes- Rohin Devanathan
Greater Texas- William Golden
Considering I will have TD the most tournaments in the state of Michigan, and am working on the Michigan state tournament (in addition to writing the questions), I'd like to at least submit a ballot for Michigan. I don't follow any other regions unless I have to for some practical reason, but I'd be happy to help on the data side. I've had to work with large data in my research and my classes. Hint: use Python to extract excel data.
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
Antrobus63
Wakka

Post by Antrobus63 »

Nothing personal, but I strongly believe that this should be a high school students-only enterprise. If they decide to accept help from college students in gathering data, I guess that's up to them, but if anyone who is not in high school casts a ballot... it's really not a HS Players poll.
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88
Ciorwrong
Tidus

Post by Ciorwrong »

Antrobus63 wrote:Nothing personal, but I strongly believe that this should be a high school students-only enterprise. If they decide to accept help from college students in gathering data, I guess that's up to them, but if anyone who is not in high school casts a ballot... it's really not a HS Players poll.
1. My previous post was supposed to be a PM to Jakob. I was in a rush to send it off before my 7 pm computer science exam, and in my haste I sent a reply. I apologize for any confusion.

2. I also neglected to read this thread thoroughly enough to see the precise purpose of this poll. I thought its purpose was more similar to the regional poll I tossed around in the top 25 thread when I admitted that I didn't have enough knowledge to fill out a ballot--though I was invited to do so. I will refrain from making a poll for this one in any case because I evidently did not see the point of this poll. My offer still stands to help with data gathering and visualization in like STATA or whatever, but my post was supposed to be a PM in the form of a question and I deeply apologize if my question did not come across as such.

I certainly learned my lesson about writing posts quickly though. :lol:
Harris Bunker
Grosse Pointe North High School '15
Michigan State University '19
UC San Diego Economics 2019 -

at least semi-retired
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Antrobus63 wrote:Nothing personal, but I strongly believe that this should be a high school students-only enterprise. If they decide to accept help from college students in gathering data, I guess that's up to them, but if anyone who is not in high school casts a ballot... it's really not a HS Players poll.
Never fear; Harris will just be assisting with combining the regional data into a national ranking rather than filling out a ballot. Thank you for your concern.
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

I'm hearing a lot that the regions I've designed do not function as single circuits in many cases. I'm thus considering dividing some larger regions (i.e. California, Upper Southeast) into smaller regions for which only a top five will be ranked. Thoughts?
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

To all survey coordinators, could you send in your ballot lists by Monday or so? I'll review them that day because I have off school then. Also, Pennsylvania seems like it's a kind of nebulous area as to whether it's DC Metro or Mid-Atlantic. It would probably be good if anyone involved with those areas could coordinate as to who exactly is in their region.
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
Chromica
Lulu

Post by Chromica »

JakobeanEra wrote:...Also, Pennsylvania seems like it's a kind of nebulous area as to whether it's DC Metro or Mid-Atlantic. It would probably be good if anyone involved with those areas could coordinate as to who exactly is in their region.
I had done some research beforehand of this subject, having had similar concerns. It seems that when PA teams (at least the top ones) travel out of state they usually travel into New York, New Jersey, and occassionally New England. So aside from counting PA as a separate region (not necessary in my opinion, yet not entirely unwarranted either), it might be better to include it within the purview of the Mid-Atlantic Region.
Colton Sanden

-Penn State (2017-2021)
-Camp Hill HS (2013-2017), Captain 2016-2017
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

So far, the results are in from everywhere except Illinois, Michigan, Florida, Tennessee, and Ohio (cuz we in Illinois are lazy and you already have a player poll about us from earlier this year).
NorCal (9 ballots returned):
1) Davis (9 adjusted votes)
2) Homestead (4.167 adjusted votes)
3) Harker (3.267 adjusted votes)
4) Saratoga (2.2 adjusted votes)
5) Bellarmine (2.029 adjusted votes)
Also receiving votes: Escobar, Pi-Oneers, Valley Christian, Crystal Springs

SoCal (9 ballots returned) (Top 8 teams were ranked)
1) Westview (9 adjusted votes)
2) Canyon Crest (7.004 adjusted votes)
3) Arcadia (3.677 adjusted votes)
4) La Jolla (2.347 adjusted votes)
5) Torrey Pines (2.317 adjusted votes)
6) Irvine (2.127 adjusted votes)
7) Rancho Bernardo (1.179 adjusted votes)
8) North Hollywood (0.425 adjusted votes)
Also receiving votes: Los Alamitos, Del Norte, Santa Monica
Electors: Daniel Wang (Canyon Crest), Kevin Y (Westview), Rahul Keyal (Westview), Justin Le (North Hollywood), James Malouf (La Jolla), Roger Lin (Arcadia), Matt Forster (Arcadia), Shirpad Badithe (Irvine), Russell Chiang (Torrey Pines)

Missouri (4 ballots returned):
1) Washington A (4 adjusted votes)
2) Ladue A (2.723 adjusted votes)
3) MICDS (2.475 adjusted votes)
4) Hickman A (1.45 adjusted votes)
5) Helias A (1.439 adjusted votes)
6) Washington B (1.082 adjusted votes)
7) Hallsville A (1.002 adjusted votes)
8) Rock Bridge A (0.777 adjusted votes)
9) Louisiana (0.516 adjusted votes)
10) Marquette A (0.257 adjusted votes)
Also receiving votes: St. Joseph Central, Eureka A

Southeast (11 Ballots Returned)
1) Chattahoochee A (10 Adjusted Votes)
2) Dorman A (9 Adjusted Votes)
3) Northview A (4.86 Adjusted Votes)
4) Hoover A (4.53 Adjusted Votes)
5) Southside A (3.31 Adjusted Votes)
6) Chattahoochee B (3.27 Adjusted Votes)
7) Collins Hill A (3.03 Adjusted Votes)
8) Dunbar A (1.93 Adjusted Votes)
9) Woodford County A (1.27 Adjusted Votes)
10) North Gwinnett A (0.563 Adjusted Votes)
Also receiving votes: Dunwoody, Chamblee, South Forsyth, Lakeside, Johns Creek A, Chattahoochee C, Springwood A, Northview B

Mid-Atlantic (7 ballots returned)
1) Hunter- 6 Adjusted Votes
2) Ithaca- 5.36 Adjusted Votes
3) High Tech - 4.91 adjusted votes
4) Lehigh Valley - 3.68 adjusted votes
5) Bergen County - 1.24 adjusted votes
6) Robert Livingston- 1.15 adjusted votes
7) Hunter B- 0.97 adjusted votes
8) Middlesex County- 0.92 adjusted votes
9) East Brunswick- 0.91 adjusted votes
10) Mountain Lakes- 0.53 adjusted votes
Also receiving votes: Manheim Township, Great Neck South, North Babylon, St. Joseph

New England:
1) Lexington A-6 adjusted Votes
2) Darien A-5.47 adjusted votes
3) Philips Academy A-4.72 adjusted votes
4) Acton-Boxborough-2.19 adjusted votes
5) Philips Academy B-1.9 adjusted votes
6) AMSA A-1.89 adjusted votes
7) Hingham-1.35 adjusted votes
8) Lexington B-0.96 adjusted votes
9) Darien B-0.64 adjusted votes
10) Greens Farms A-0.55 adjusted votes
Also receiving votes: Weston, Belmont, Andover, Framingham, Plymouth Regional, E.O. Smith, Essex, Brookline
Electors: Michael Borecki, John Selkowitz, Nick Rommel, Colin Cantwell, Abhiram Kolluri, Sam He, Prat Hegde

Texas (6 ballots returned):
1) St. John's-5 Adjusted Votes
2) Taylor-4.54 Adjusted Votes
3) St. Mark's-4.08 Adjusted Votes
4) LASA A-3.62 Adjusted Votes
5) Seven Lakes-1.85 Adjusted Votes
6) Cistercian-1.39 Adjusted Votes
7) Strake Jesuit-1.31 Adjusted Votes
8) Carnegie-1.28 Adjusted Votes
9) Windhaven Park-0.98 Adjusted Votes
10) LASA B-0.60 Adjusted Votes
Electors: William Golden (Taylor), Andy Huff (St. John's), Sean Doyle (Strake Jesuit), Raunak Kundagrami (St. John's), John Crawford (St. Mark's), Patrick Magee (St. Mark's)
Last edited by A Dim-Witted Saboteur on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

I'm given to understand that the Florida circuit is fairly insular, which is probably why no Florida team received votes in the Southeast poll. Florida people (and Florida-watchers), do you think a separate FL poll would be advisable?
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
Mahavishnu
Lulu

Post by Mahavishnu »

Yes, that would be advisable. While certain close Alabama + Georgia teams (i.e. Dothan, Alma Bryant, Bainbridge) occasionally come down to play in tournaments in the Tally-Jacksonville corridor, save a few exceptions, the majority of Florida teams play strictly within Florida. While one couldn't expect those taking the poll to view stats of all teams included on the ballot, discrepancies between actual performance and some of the teams that did recieve votes, appears to be more of a problem with the relative obscurity of Florida teams than anything else.

On that note, how many people in Florida recieved the poll? Many of us are hard to reach one way or another, but I know a couple that I'm sure would love to have their opinions included.
Tracy Mirkin
South Fork '17
Florida '22
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Mahavishnu wrote:Yes, that would be advisable. While certain close Alabama + Georgia teams (i.e. Dothan, Alma Bryant, Bainbridge) occasionally come down to play in tournaments in the Tally-Jacksonville corridor, save a few exceptions, the majority of Florida teams play strictly within Florida. While one couldn't expect those taking the poll to view stats of all teams included on the ballot, discrepancies between actual performance and some of the teams that did recieve votes, appears to be more of a problem with the relative obscurity of Florida teams than anything else.

On that note, how many people in Florida recieved the poll? Many of us are hard to reach one way or another, but I know a couple that I'm sure would love to have their opinions included.
I don't think any have. I think you conducting a separate Florida poll would be the best option, since I know Rishik is only balloting people in Alabama and Akash only did Georgia folks
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
Mahavishnu
Lulu

Post by Mahavishnu »

Oh, of course. I guess I had a fundamental misunderstanding regarding how the poll would be carried out, as I was under the impression that it would be designed by regional coordinators, before being sent out by you and Kevin. Of course, I am willing to send out the ballot, and I will return my results to you soon.
Tracy Mirkin
South Fork '17
Florida '22
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Mahavishnu wrote:Oh, of course. I guess I had a fundamental misunderstanding regarding how the poll would be carried out, as I was under the impression that it would be designed by regional coordinators, before being sent out by you and Kevin. Of course, I am willing to send out the ballot, and I will return my results to you soon.
That was the plan, but most of the regional coordinators just ignored it, so it is no longer the plan.
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Since the new HSQBRank rankings are so comprehensive as to, in effect, serve as a top ten for some circuits, I'll be using this post to indicate divergences from HSQBRank in intra-regional results from this poll.
NOTE: This post is not intended to discredit, insult, or defame HSQBRank or anyone involved in it or indicate the superiority of one methodology over the other, but to outline differences between the birds-eye view afforded by PPB comparisons and how many teams are actually perceived on the ground.
NOTE #2: Parenthetical numbers will indicate Morlan rankings
NorCal: none
SoCal: La Jolla (27) and Torrey Pines (50) below Arcadia (61); Rancho Bernardo (67) and North Hollywood (68) below Irvine (101)
Missouri: MICDS (35) below Ladue (57); Rock Bridge (155) below Washington B (190), Helias (197), Hallsville (Unranked); St. Joseph Central (178) below Hallsville, Washington B, Helias
Coastal South: Southside (20) and Chattahoochee B (25) below Hoover (36) below Northview A (64); Dunbar A (49) below Northview A (64) and Collins Hill (78); Woodford County (56) below Northview A (64) and Collins Hill (78); Dunwoody (103) below North Gwinnett (UR)
More later
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
Antrobus63
Wakka

Post by Antrobus63 »

Well done. Looking forward to the next survey.
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

OH and MI aren't finished yet, but thanks anyway. All credit goes to the regional coordinators who actually did the balloting.
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Also if anyone's interested in reading it, here's an annotated Texas ballot from Andy Huff (formatted for readability on forums):

Tier 1A Clear favorites to win state:

St. John’s

Why they are this high: Maybe I’m biased in favor of my own team, but St. John’s has the best PPB in Texas, and was able to hang with Taylor with a split team. With a full team, I think we have more ability to get powers than any other team in Texas. This is the slot on my ballot I feel most comfortable with.

Taylor

Why they are this high: They get tossups because they will kill you on humanities topics. William is the best lit and art player in Texas, and between the team they may be the best at US History and geography.

Why they aren’t higher: Science. Taylor is really bad at science. Against teams like LASA, St. John’s, and Seven Lakes, Taylor often gets 0 or 1 science tossup, which mitigates some of the advantage of being the best humanities team

Note: They are better than their PPB. Their PPB is as low as it is because of the aforementioned science hole. They get to 23 by getting 15 on science and 26 on everything else. They will get those tossups.

Tier 1B dark horses to win state:

St. Mark’s

Why this high: St. Mark’s vs. LASA was one of my two big struggles on this ballot. LASA has better knowledge, but St. Mark’s plays the game better. Very strong on NAQT categories and art.

Why not higher: Like Taylor, St. Mark’s is not great at science. Also, they dont have the firepower to have games that St. John’s, Taylor, and LASA have where they explode and nobody can beat them.

LASA A

Why this high: They have the second best knowledge in the state. They have the second best PPB numbers after St. John’s, and LASA and St. John’s are the only two teams who are competitive on every category. Has a very high ceiling, and has games where they can go super saiyan and crush anybody.

Why not higher: This team is exceptionally erratic. Chinmay and Ujwal could go for 3 negs any given game, and they had 8 games with at least four negs last tournament. They tend to buzz where they think they should, not where they actually know the answer. If they settle down and play within themselves, I think they go to #2. For now, they need to calm down, wait for their clue, and score their points. They’ve only played one tournament as what I would consider to be LASA A, so this should improve over time.

Tier 2 Won’t win state, but could ruin the day of somebody in tier 1:

7 Lakes

Why this high: Very solid on science and literature. They have a high PPB, with good wins over Cistercian and a full St. John’s A. Very consistent and never blow games they should definitely win, can take advantage of teams blowing games.

Why not higher: They don’t get the powers they should for the PPB they have. Don't dominate any categories. Because of these two things, they tend to lose to any team on this list when their opponents have a good packet.

Cistercian

Why this high: Better power numbers and PPB than every team below them, also better power numbers than 7 Lakes above them. Very solid on humanities.

Why not higher: Kind of Taylor light. Has serious issues on science, which they effectively punt to every other team on this list. They struggled significantly against St. Mark’s showing what happens when they play a team that can beat them outside of science.

Carnegie
Why this high: Another case of high PPB and consistency. They are run by four competent generalists, making them good at exploiting the weaknesses of other teams. Last tournament they beat Debakey, Village, Strake, and Bellaire all convincingly which was an impressive run. They might be better than Cistercian, but they have no common opponents which makes comparison difficult

Why not higher: Jack of all trades, master of none. Carnegie is good at every category, but will lose to every team at their strengths. Like Seven Lakes, they don’t blow many games but like Seven Lakes, they struggle to punch too far above their weight because they have no great strengths.

LASA B
Why this high: The potential of a LASA B team, like LASA A, is higher than the teams directly above it. Like LASA A they have very good knowledge, and but up solid power numbers and PPB

Why this low: Just like LASA A, LASA B has a negging problem. The other issue LASA B has is a lack of roster consistency, with something that could be called LASA B only playing together once. Also, their roster has not been optimized yet. If they optimize the roster and settle down with the negs, look for them to rise to #6 or #5.

Strake Jesuit

Why this high: They are good at getting powers, and also are improving faster than any other team on the circuit with Romero’s coaching.

Why this low: Because their knowledge is built almost entirely from reading high school packets, they struggle at high difficulty and in small distributions. Additionally, they seem to be streaky and let emotions get to them when they get down in games. They also struggle in science. They would be higher if this was a list for regular difficulty housewrites, but I feel comfortable with them here for nationals.

Windhaven Park

Why this high: First, I must admit that I’ve only seen Windhaven play one game, when every other team on this list I have lots of experience with. Their stats seem to indicate that they are another team with good PPB that is good at getting tens, and they beat St. Mark’s last tournament they played.

Why this low: Another team that struggles with powers. This is why, although they beat St. Mark’s when negs were high, they lost badly when St. Mark’s stopped negging. This team also has fairly limited experience and have only played one tournament above IS difficulty, playing JV state on SCT DII last year.
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Oh also in case anyone's confused about the methodology I used, explanations can be found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_transferable_vote
and here (on the website I used):
paul-lockett.co.uk/stv.html
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
kitakule
Wakka

Post by kitakule »

I noticed that no Louisiana teams got votes in here, which isn't surprising because the circuit there is pretty insular (though some Texan teams have started coming to our tournaments). Jesuit A and ESA A (I know, I'm biased) are pretty good teams. Unlike Florida, I don't think LA should get its own poll since it's a pretty small state in terms of both quiz bowl and size, but I just wanted to throw a few of our teams into the mix.
Moses Kitakule
ESA '15
Yale '19
Columbia '28 (???)
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

kitakule wrote:I noticed that no Louisiana teams got votes in here, which isn't surprising because the circuit there is pretty insular (though some Texan teams have started coming to our tournaments). Jesuit A and ESA A (I know, I'm biased) are pretty good teams. Unlike Florida, I don't think LA should get its own poll since it's a pretty small state in terms of both quiz bowl and size, but I just wanted to throw a few of our teams into the mix.
Louisiana's highest rank on HSQBRank is 146. Plus, no one has stepped forward to conduct a poll there. Thus, no teams from there. Sorry.
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
kitakule
Wakka

Post by kitakule »

JakobeanEra wrote:
kitakule wrote:I noticed that no Louisiana teams got votes in here, which isn't surprising because the circuit there is pretty insular (though some Texan teams have started coming to our tournaments). Jesuit A and ESA A (I know, I'm biased) are pretty good teams. Unlike Florida, I don't think LA should get its own poll since it's a pretty small state in terms of both quiz bowl and size, but I just wanted to throw a few of our teams into the mix.
Louisiana's highest rank on HSQBRank is 146. Plus, no one has stepped forward to conduct a poll there. Thus, no teams from there. Sorry.

Not sure if you misread me or were just agreeing with me; the insular state of LA quizbowl means that teams from there don't encounter teams from other states very often, either in regular season or at nationals, which is one of the reasons why no Louisiana teams or players show up in polls or rankings. I also said that I didn't think Louisiana didn't deserve it's own poll because of its general irrelevance to quizbowl (to put it brusquely). There are only like three Louisiana players who regularly post here (including myself), and they're all college players. I just wanted to mention some Louisiana teams so the state could at least contribute to the discussion.
Moses Kitakule
ESA '15
Yale '19
Columbia '28 (???)
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

kitakule wrote:Not sure if you misread me or were just agreeing with me; the insular state of LA quizbowl means that teams from there don't encounter teams from other states very often, either in regular season or at nationals, which is one of the reasons why no Louisiana teams or players show up in polls or rankings. I also said that I didn't think Louisiana didn't deserve it's own poll because of its general irrelevance to quizbowl (to put it brusquely). There are only like three Louisiana players who regularly post here (including myself), and they're all college players. I just wanted to mention some Louisiana teams so the state could at least contribute to the discussion.
That post was just to explain to anyone who had similar concerns why there were no LA teams here. Sorry if that led to any confusion as to my reading of your post.
EDIT: Clarity
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
Rather Wild Indeed
Lulu

Post by Rather Wild Indeed »

kitakule wrote:
JakobeanEra wrote:

Not sure if you misread me or were just agreeing with me; the insular state of LA quizbowl means that teams from there don't encounter teams from other states very often, either in regular season or at nationals, which is one of the reasons why no Louisiana teams or players show up in polls or rankings. I also said that I didn't think Louisiana didn't deserve it's own poll because of its general irrelevance to quizbowl (to put it brusquely). There are only like three Louisiana players who regularly post here (including myself), and they're all college players. I just wanted to mention some Louisiana teams so the state could at least contribute to the discussion.

I mean no disrespect when I say this but I personally went to the Mount Carmel Invite with my team so I think I can be an accurate judge of this. As one of the people balloting the Southeast, (which I believe encompasses Louisiana) I must say that one of the reasons for a lack of inclusion on the ballot is a disparity of skill in comparison to the rest of the region. While there were some good teams (I remember ESA had one player who had a few impressive powers and St. Mark's had a good showing) Louisiana quiz bowl just hasn't developed to the point where they can be on a top 10 bracket for the region. For me personally, I'd say ESA and Jesuit have a chance of breaking into a top 15 bracket but with the other talent in the Southeast the top 10 is pretty much booked barring an excellent showing by some team.

Hope that clears up why there aren't any nods in Louisiana's way on the ballots.
Regardless, I encourage you to continue helping to develop the Louisiana circuit because it might not take long to break onto the national stage.
Rishik Hombal
Hoover HS 2014-18
kitakule
Wakka

Post by kitakule »

Rman wrote:
kitakule wrote:
JakobeanEra wrote:

I mean no disrespect when I say this but I personally went to the Mount Carmel Invite with my team so I think I can be an accurate judge of this. As one of the people balloting the Southeast, (which I believe encompasses Louisiana) I must say that one of the reasons for a lack of inclusion on the ballot is a disparity of skill in comparison to the rest of the region. While there were some good teams (I remember ESA had one player who had a few impressive powers and St. Mark's had a good showing) Louisiana quiz bowl just hasn't developed to the point where they can be on a top 10 bracket for the region. For me personally, I'd say ESA and Jesuit have a chance of breaking into a top 15 bracket but with the other talent in the Southeast the top 10 is pretty much booked barring an excellent showing by some team.

Hope that clears up why there aren't any nods in Louisiana's way on the ballots.
Regardless, I encourage you to continue helping to develop the Louisiana circuit because it might not take long to break onto the national stage.

I agree completely with you; I played chip-bowl essentially the entire time I was at ESA, it's only been in the last year or two that Louisiana quiz bowl has started on the right track. I still think that lack of exposure to teams from other states is the main problem remaining in Louisiana, seeing as it affects how Louisiana teams are viewed from the outside and how good the Louisiana teams think they'll have to get to compete at things like HSNCT. It would be nice to see more top teams like Hoover come down to LA!
Moses Kitakule
ESA '15
Yale '19
Columbia '28 (???)
Benjamin Knight
Kimahri

Post by Benjamin Knight »

Would anyone be interested in participating in one of these for middle schools?
I am a 7th grade player on the Smith Middle School Quiz Bowl Team.
idek
Lulu

Post by idek »

Benjamin Knight wrote:Would anyone be interested in participating in one of these for middle schools?
Yeah, this would be really cool to examine at the MS level.
Vishal Sivamani
Coppell
Benjamin Knight
Kimahri

Post by Benjamin Knight »

idek wrote:
Benjamin Knight wrote:Would anyone be interested in participating in one of these for middle schools?
What regions do you think would make the most sense for the MS level?
I am a 7th grade player on the Smith Middle School Quiz Bowl Team.
Antrobus63
Wakka

Post by Antrobus63 »

Are you guys going to do another student poll? I'd vote "Yes," but I'm not a student.
Peter Schmidt
Columbia '84, Yale '88
Shomik Ghose
Lulu

Post by Shomik Ghose »

After the Texas State Championship results, it seems as if the best team in Texas is now St. Marks. They defeated St. Johns (390-240) and Taylor (390-225) and LASA (400-305) at the state championship. Of course, HSNCT is a whole another tournament, and I hope (for my own team's sake) the defeat we suffered in the state finals does not replay itself. But for now, St. Marks, a team which has mostly been overlooked in polls, has upset 3 top 20 teams.
St. Johns A
Class of 2019
A Dim-Witted Saboteur
Yuna

Antrobus63 wrote:Are you guys going to do another student poll? I'd vote "Yes," but I'm not a student.
I'll try. I'm sure a lot of the previous coordinators who actually did stuff could do it again, and the ones who didn't could be replaced.
Jakob M. (they/them)
-Ankit Aggarwal
idek
Lulu

Post by idek »

Benjamin Knight wrote:
idek wrote:
What regions do you think would make the most sense for the MS level?
Probably the top areas first, California, Chicago, Georgia, Texas, the Tri-State area, and then a trickle down into the other areas.

Edit: I think Shiva Oswal compiled a list. It's based mostly on PPB, but like hsqbrank, it provides good perspective. I'll ask him if he wants to ever release it.
Vishal Sivamani
Coppell
Rather Wild Indeed
Lulu

Post by Rather Wild Indeed »

I'm down for a round two if you want me back.
Rishik Hombal
Hoover HS 2014-18