SMV 2016: HSQB's Secret Santa - Send Those Gifts!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
RexSueciae
Tidus

SMV 2016: HSQB's Secret Santa - Send Those Gifts!

Post by RexSueciae »

W. H. Auden wrote: One should not give a poisoner medicine,
A conjurer fine apparatus, nor
A rifle to a melancholic bore.
This is our tenth year of "Secret Santa," renamed after everyone's favorite formerly really angry quiz bowler.

(For those of us who aren't dinosaurs, the original title of that acronym is "Secret Mount Vinokurov." There, you learnt something today.)

This is open to everyone on the forums. If you're under 18, get your parent(s)/guardian(s)'s permission to participate.

There are only three rules:

* Buy your partner a gift, preferably costing no more than $20. Make sure it's a good present; "comedy" bad presents are, almost always, just terrible presents.
* If you sign up, give your partner a gift. Failure to do so will result in open mocking of you.
* Don't give your partner an inappropriate gift. This is a site that is, in large part, aimed towards high schoolers. Don't be stupid.

When you sign up, include 3 to 5 presents you'd like - I'm going to advise that you be somewhat general with this. "Video games" isn't too useful; "PS4 games" is better; "PS4 action RPGs" is also better. I'd say "Fallout 4" is less than optimal, because of possible issues with this and the lack of creativity for which it allows.

If, for some reason, you don't want to be partnered with a person you really don't like, email me about it (don't post, unless you really want to draw attention to yourself). My email is listed in my forum profile, click the button to send me a message.

FOR EASE OF USE: Use the following template to sign up!

Name:
Email:
Present requests:

So, for example:
Name: Henry V
Email: [email protected]
Present requests:
1) The city of Harfleur's prompt surrender
2) A Muse of fire, that would ascend / The brightest heaven of invention
3) Extra fingers
In the style of years past, if you would like to share a funny holidaytide story while making your post, you are free to do so (though not required by any means). Alternately, you could write a brief verse on holidays, in the manner of some respectable poet. This is currently in the high school section, so keep that in mind.

Signups will be open until December 10th 11:59 PM December 11th 11:59 EST, following which assignments will be emailed and you'll have two weeks to purchase and send a gift before the 25th.

That's it! Happy Holidays/Merry Christmas/Happy Hannukah/Happy Kwanzaa/Happy Festivus/Happy Decemberween!
Last edited by RexSueciae on Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
Charbroil
Auron

Re: SMV 2016: HSQB's Secret Santa - Signups Open!

Post by Charbroil »

Name: Charles Hang
Present requests: I'd enjoy a book that my gift giver feels has really changed his or her life.

Or, if that's too personal, tennis gear would be fine too. I'd enjoy a short sleeve tennis polo (XL or XXL) or some tennis balls.

A holiday haiku:

Tennis is great, but
My ankles always hurt now.
Painful Thanksgiving
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Name: Mike Bentley
Present requests: I enjoy posters and jigsaw puzzles based on famous works of art. I'd also be cool with any book from https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertai ... 3c5d931864 except for the Romanovs, which I've already read. Or really any newish book on history or art you'd think I might be interested in.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
women, fire and dangerous things
Tidus

Post by women, fire and dangerous things »

Charbroil wrote:or some tennis balls.
Henry V would also delighted to receive a gift of tennis balls, I assume.
Will Nediger
-Proud member of the cult of Urcuchillay-
University of Western Ontario 2011, University of Michigan 2017
Member emeritus, ACF
Writer, NAQT
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Every year I have regretted not doing this sooooo

Name: Alex Damisch
Email: alexandra.damisch at gmail.com
Present requests:
1. Something readable on feminist/queer/leftist theory, as I am well-versed in Internet Discourse™ but not actual discourse
2. Unusual candy or sweet things of any kind, especially non-Midwest regional (except Pocky because I know you can do better than that)
3. But actually my #1 gift request, burn me a CD of different songs/pieces/etc. you think more people should listen to. Or guilty pleasures, or some local ska band you really like, or whatever. As long as it's neither top 40 nor something ridiculously canonical like Beethoven's 5th I'd be interested in hearing it.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

I really enjoyed participating last year, and though I was nervous about my gift, it was really good! (Shout out again to Nick for the gift last year!)

Name: Peter Cordeiro
Present requests:

1. Again, I would like some fiction or non-fiction works that are about or relate to a recent revolution, however defined (As an example, I got Days of God last year, which I really enjoyed.)
2. I am really right now into personal finance books, specifically guides that dealing with index funds / passive investing, but anything regarding finance will do. If you do choose this, try to make the book at a sort of intermediate level (and make sure it is applicable to Canadians, or more preferably, from a Canadian perspective).
3. If you are really stuck on the first two, just give me a trivia book or academic work of literature (classic, Booker Prize winner, etc.). If worse come to worse and I don't like it, I can always give it away to someone else or as a book prize.
Last edited by Peter13 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Cordeiro
McMaster University, 2019 +/-1
Interim President of the ONQBA
Newest Accomplishment: SCT @ Waterloo - Scored over 40PPG on a Full Team
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

This is always fun!

Name: Rob Carson
Present requests:
1. Anything on the first page of this list other than Orientalism
2. Movies! Blu-rays preferred; anything in the general area of action/thriller/heist/caper/noir is usually a pretty safe bet, as are (good) westerns and (good) comedies.
3. Interesting or unusual food or drink items (alcoholic or otherwise), especially non-north-midwestern local specialties. Please do not send me Malort.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

Name: Aidan Mehigan
Present requests:
1. A book on (some aspect of) American religious history.
2. A book on some aspect of architectural history. The more niche/specific/weird, the better.
3. A "thought-provoking" indie game (I think I still have a Steam account). For the past few years, I haven't played as many games as I did when I was a kid, but whenever I've picked up something like Braid, Papers, Please, etc, I've been pretty happy. The shorter and artier, the better.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

Auks Ran Ova wrote:Please do not send me Malort.
I guess Conan O'Brien really DOES hate my homeland.
Alex D.
ACF

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Name: Jacob O'Rourke
Email: jacob.orourke.7 at gmail.com
Present Requests:
1. Any book that I have on this list. Or alternatively, any book you think I should read.
2. Any movie on this list (other than The Shining and Lawrence of Arabia, as I already own them).
3. Any album you think I should listen to (you should feel free to ask me if I have it already, though).
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

Adam Sperber
merv1618 at gmail dot com

Requests:
1) Music; I love modern folk but won't say no to anything you enjoy, unless it's the Kinks or Bolero.
2) Biographies of interesting people
3) Movies, specifically acclaimed comedies; I'm already well acquainted with Woody Allen, Mel Brooks, and the Marx Brothers. No Strangelove.
4) I'll echo what Rob said about unusual foodstuffs. I love me some good unique eats.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

Auks Ran Ova wrote: Please do not send me Malort.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
RexSueciae
Tidus

Post by RexSueciae »

Right, so we have 8 people so far, which is...less than a third of last year. But it's also December 10th.

I'm going to extend the deadline by one day, so if anybody wants to jump in at the last minute you've now got an additional 24 hours to do so. Also, I'm going to start emailing everyone currently registered asking for your mailing address for Santa purposes. (If the email is not in your inbox right now, check your spam folder.) Target assignments will be given after everybody registers tomorrow night or whenever.
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Re: SMV 2016: HSQB's Secret Santa - Register now! (12/11/16)

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

Why not.

Bernadette Spencer
[email protected]

1. Fun foods
2. Wool socks of hilarious design
3. Surprising true crime books.
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
Alejandro
Wakka

Post by Alejandro »

Alejandro Lopez-Lago
alopezlago [at] hmc . edu

Present requests:
1) A cooperative boardgame that can be played with just 2 people.
2) An indie game for PC; preferably something from the last year since I haven't kept up with what's out there
3) Some book on computer history or computer security history. Approaching Zero is a good example.
Alejandro
Naperville Central '07
Harvey Mudd '11
University of Washington '17
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

Name: Ben Zhang
Present requests:
1) Something that seems challenging from http://www.fascinations.com/metalearth, except for the Titanic and the UNSC Mantis.
2) Something that packets a lot of utility in a small space. Things I'm thinking of include Swiss Army knives, multitools, credit card knives, multitool phonecases, or this weird penlike gadget I have which is simultaneously a screwdriver set, flashlight, and spirit level.
3) A book something along the lines of What If?, Thing Explainer, or Illustrated Book of Bad Arguments (but not any of those).
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

Isaac Kirk-Davidoff
firstname.lastname [at] yale.edu
1: Anything R.E.M. (the band, not the stage of sleep) related, preferably live sets/bootlegs
2: Tchotchkes, Tchotchkes and more Tchotchkes
3: Palinka
4: A contemporary novel dealing with landscape and/or emotion.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Fred Morlan
[email protected]

1) An audiobook of a recent good piece of fiction. I haven't had a chance to read anything good in awhile, probably won't soon, but would love the opportunity to do so. And I've never done an audiobook before so, hey, what the hell.
2) A board or card game.
3) A movie that's laughably bad. MST3k/Rifftrax are acceptable.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
west neg, new york
Lulu

Post by west neg, new york »

Sure, why not?

Name: Robert Chu
Email: rofchu [at] gmail [dot] com
Present requests:
1) A book about painting, film, or classical music (but not The Rest is Noise)
2) A poster/piece of wall art that is also an infographic (something similar to this coffee poster)
3) A CD album by a (good) band whose Youtube channel has no videos with >50k views
Robert Chu
Harvard '17
Johns Hopkins '21
NAQT writer
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I've done this before and enjoyed it, so why not?

Name: Ian Drayer
Email: Golran -at- g.ucla.edu

Present Requests:
1) A cool/fun board game for 2-6 players. At this point I've got very few beyond Scrabble, Monopoly, Sorry!, Trouble etc., and would like to get a more mature collection.
2) A book that outlines interesting and/or monumental court cases briefly (I've now got the attention span of a goldfish, so 3-5 page summaries of cases that I can pick up and put down is ideal).
3) An interesting tchotchke or page a day 2017 calendar for my desk to make my office environment a little more interesting.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

Tejas Raje
[email protected]

1. Any of the world history books from this list

2. A novel by an Indian author that's not Midnight's Children.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

Name: Eric Wolfsberg

1: A book from or about Medieval Europe (history, literature, art, or anything else).

2: A book about music that isn't Lives of the Great Composers.

3: Something underrated.
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
Dantooine is Big!
Rikku

Post by Dantooine is Big! »

Name: Young Fenimore Lee
Present requests:

- Classic rock, alt rock, indie rock, or jazz album vinyls. Sleeve required. LP optional. Specific artists I would like (don't judge): Brand New, Taking Back Sunday, Car Seat Headrest, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Animal Collective, Gorillaz, Radiohead, Green Day, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Wayne Shorter, Cannonball Adderley, Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, Parker, Bill Evans. Any great jazz or classic/alt/indie rock albums that you like will do, though.

- A notable book of philosophy by a notable 20th century philosopher. Any Michel Foucault will do. I'm interested in Paul Feyerabend, Karl Popper, Ludwig Wittgenstein, and WVO Quince*. This can also be a collection of essays, or something to that effect.

- A work of Spanish language literature. This can be from any era or country. Something other than Cien años de soledad, El amor en los tiempos del cólera, or Don Quijote de la Mancha would be appreciated.

Happy holidays! :grin:

*error intentional

EDIT: Another thing, on a flight from Amsterdam to Detroit (it was on the way home from a school AP Euro History trip, except the flight schedule got messed up so we couldn't go directly back to Chicago) I watched a Spanish film called Stockholm directed by Rodrigo Sorogoyen. I really liked the film, and wish I could watch it again. I can't find a copy for purchase anywhere online, though. RIP any film that's good and is sorta like that one will do.
Last edited by Dantooine is Big! on Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Young Fenimore Lee (they/them)
Stevenson High School 2017
Stanford 2021
The New School 2023
Ohio University 2028
Thaumatibis gigantea
Wakka

Post by Thaumatibis gigantea »

Name: Rebecca Rosenthal
Email: rebecca.the.rosenthal[at gmail dot com]
Present requests:
1. Books. Good bets include fun novels, art history, biology or anything with a lot of pretty pictures. Not anything in physics, chemistry or math, please.
2. I collect postcards and iron-on patches/pins/other gift shop tchotchkes, so if you have an exciting museum or historic site nearby, these are good options.
3. If you live outside of the NYC or Philadelphia areas, a representative non-perishable food of your region. I also like pretty much any chocolate.
Or surprise me with something cool (book, CD or DVD, desk tchotchke etc.) you enjoy and tell me why.
Rebecca Rosenthal, Bergen County Academies '16, Swarthmore College '20
PACE, Director of Communications
she/her/hers
hildebrand of sovana
Kimahri

Post by hildebrand of sovana »

Name: Zack Stier
Present requests:
• a movie that you enjoy, and potentially one you feel is generally underrated
• books, in particular in any of the varieties novels / math / history
Zack Stier
BCA '16
Princeton '20
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Name: Joe Su

Wish A: a board/card game of some sort, with relatively short playing time, that's not Coup, because I already received that as a Secret Santa this year.
Wish B: a piece of academically nerdy apparel
Wish C: a desk ornament for my office desk, which currently only consists of two screens, a pile of papers, a pile of packets, and a small poster of a beach.

Story: None

Caveat: I might overshoot the budget by lets say, 1.31 times
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
RexSueciae
Tidus

Post by RexSueciae »

If anybody's signed up and hasn't gotten an email from me asking for your mailing address, let me know!

You will receive your assignment once I get addresses from, like, four people, including some whom I've just emailed.
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
RexSueciae
Tidus

Post by RexSueciae »

Assignments will be going out no later than tomorrow, 6PM. That's after an exam I'm taking, for which I am currently studying. Best of luck to anybody out there who's in a similar situation.
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
RexSueciae
Tidus

Re: SMV 2016: HSQB's Secret Santa - Send Those Gifts!

Post by RexSueciae »

All twenty-one of you ought to have received an email titled "Your SMV Partner" fairly recently. I have begun to undergo semantic satiation from sending these emails by hand.

Go wild! Find a thing and mail it. Or email it, I guess, it's the 21st century. Exercise your radical freedom!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwnyIOoL-LM
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

My gift has been ordered and will arrive on December 15th.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

I just ordered my gift; it should arrive the 16th.
Eric Wolfsberg
Peter13
Wakka

Post by Peter13 »

My gift has been ordered, and will arrive sometime in the next couple weeks (December 23rd to 30th).
Peter Cordeiro
McMaster University, 2019 +/-1
Interim President of the ONQBA
Newest Accomplishment: SCT @ Waterloo - Scored over 40PPG on a Full Team
Thaumatibis gigantea
Wakka

Post by Thaumatibis gigantea »

Mine should arrive by December 21. :party:
Rebecca Rosenthal, Bergen County Academies '16, Swarthmore College '20
PACE, Director of Communications
she/her/hers
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

Just ordered mine. Will arrive by Christmas Eve. It's not hand made, so Andrew Hart can rest assured that his collage of North Korean movie scenes remains one of a kind.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
west neg, new york
Lulu

Post by west neg, new york »

Just ordered my gift. Should arrive sometime between the 19th-28th.
Robert Chu
Harvard '17
Johns Hopkins '21
NAQT writer
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

Xochicuicatl Cuecuechtli wrote:I just ordered my gift; it should arrive the 16th.
Make that the 19th.
Eric Wolfsberg
Alejandro
Wakka

Post by Alejandro »

I've sent mine out, and it should arrive in a couple days.
Alejandro
Naperville Central '07
Harvey Mudd '11
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Mine has been ordered and should arrive on Saturday.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Just ordered, should get there by Saturday!
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

My gift should get to its recipient by next Tuesday (the 20th).
Charles Hang

Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

Mine'll be there in the early December 20s
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

I sent my gift, should be there sometime next week.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Thank you to whoever sent me copies of Brideshead Revisited and To the Lighthouse!
Charles Hang

Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

Charbroil wrote:Thank you to whoever sent me copies of Brideshead Revisited and To the Lighthouse!
That was me—hope you enjoy them as much as I did.
Aidan Mehigan
Aaron's Rod

Post by Aaron's Rod »

I just shipped mine; should be there in 2-3 business days.
Alex D.
ACF

Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

My thanks to Tejas Raje for the copy of Reconquest and Crusade in Medieval Spain. Something having to do with Muslim history was my super-secret/not included out of fear of having two similar requests wish, and I'm glad my gift serendipitously fulfilled it.
Eric Wolfsberg
Alejandro
Wakka

Post by Alejandro »

My gift has been delayed for a few days due to weather.
Alejandro
Naperville Central '07
Harvey Mudd '11
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

Big thanks to Jacob O'Rourke for Sydney Ahlstrom's A Religious History of the American People, which looks as enjoyable as it is immense!
Aidan Mehigan
Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

I got The Burdens of Brotherhood from Ian Drayer. Looking forward to it, thanks!
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Thanks to Alejandro Lopez-Lago for North by Northwest and Network. I look forward to watching these soon!
Jacob O'Rourke