Improving pricing entry on the tournament database

Packet databases and other quizbowl sites, apps, or software should be discussed here.

What staffing discounts do you typically offer at your tournaments?

"Staff"
44%
"Moderator"
41%
"Scorekeeper"
15%

Total votes: 41

ScoBo
Rikku

Improving pricing entry on the tournament database

Post by ScoBo »

This has been quite a busy summer for me, so I didn't have any time to make enhancements to the tournament database.

I received some feedback earlier this week asking for a moderator discount to be added as a default option for tournaments. Staff discounts as a default has been requested several times over the years, and I think it definitely needs to be added as a default in some form. Before I get too deep into the upcoming quizbowl season, I'd like to take a little time to make relatively simple but useful changes to the tournament entry page to make it easier for everyone to use.

My primary focus is the tournament pricing section. A couple of years ago, building off of a suggestion from Cody, I proposed an idea to add some "preset" defaults for discounts in addition to the generic "add" options, but never implemented it. As part of this, I was going to add staff discounts as defaults to make it easier to add them. The issue I can't quite settle on a solution for is how to accommodate the fact that some tournaments offer "staff" discounts, some offer "moderator" discounts, some offer "scorekeeper" discounts, and some offer separate "moderator" and "scorekeeper" discounts.

I've created a poll above to get a better understanding of what staff discounts are most common to determine what should be listed as a default without cluttering the form with too many default options. If you run tournaments, let me know what is most common for you and other tournaments in your area and I'll take this information into consideration.

Any other feedback you have on the tournament entry page is appreciated. I'm hoping to avoid anything too significant for now so I don't fall into a trap of never getting this done.
Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Re: Improving pricing entry on the tournament database

Post by Cody »

For what it's worth, I think a good solution is by default instantiating a staff discount at -$10, and having moderator and scorekeeper discounts coded in just like the laptop discount currently is.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

For some reason, I've never noticed this before, but now that I have: it'd be nice to have the ability to have the ability to add a "per x" field after a discount, similar to the way the default fields have "per x" instantiations. I imagine the feature as a button click (before remove and add limit), that adds per and then a text box that allows you to type the x.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Æthelred the Unready Steady Cook
Lulu

Post by Æthelred the Unready Steady Cook »

I know this isn't a priority for most people but could we please have a button for £s because it can be confusing having to use $.
Daoud Jackson
Oxford 2014-2018
President Oxford University Quiz Society 2016-7