Vanderbilt ABC XXXI - March 18, 2006

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Vanderbilt ABC XXXI - March 18, 2006

Post by vandyhawk »

Since I finally got a room reservation confirmation, I thought I'd announce that the date for ABC XXXI is officially set for March 18th. Full details will follow in the near future.
jeffburns1
Lulu

Post by jeffburns1 »

Are we ever going to get official details or see the website updated?
jeffburns1
Lulu

Post by jeffburns1 »

Is the site ever going to be updated with information about the tournament that's six weeks away??????
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Are you planning on having matches on Friday night?
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Sorry about the delay - been a crazy month. Anyway, email announcement was just sent, and here's a copy:

Dear coaches:

Our apologies for not getting this announcement out a little sooner, but Vanderbilt Quiz Bowl is pleased to announce that ABC XXXI will be held on March 18. This spring edition, as has become the custom, will be a one-day affair, and we'll be back on campus in the usual headquarters of Wilson 126. Expect the format to be the typical bracketed round robin followed by single elimination playoffs, with separate varsity and JV divisions. The full announcement can be found here:

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/college_bowl/ ... _info.html

Also be sure to look at the "Additional Info" page for directions, maps, schedule, etc.:

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/college_bowl/ ... 20Info.htm

We thank you all for your continued support of this tournament, and we look forward to seeing many of you in March.

-VUQB
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Here's a field update so far. Still plenty of time to register, and plenty of room.

Varsity:
Apollo
Breckinridge Co.
Christian Acad. Knoxville
Columbia Central (?)
Dorman (2)
duPont Manual (2)
Edmonson Co.
Etowah
Hardin Co. (TN)
Hillsboro
James Island
Lincoln Co. (2)
Louisville Eastern
MadisonvilleNH (2)
Pikeville
Sheldon Clark
Univ. School Nashville
Webb
West (Knoxville)

JV:
Apollo (2)
duPont Manual (2)
Hendersonville
MadisonvilleNH
Webb (2)
Last edited by vandyhawk on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:43 pm, edited 7 times in total.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

As you can see, we still have plenty of room left with a couple weeks to go. Several teams have registered then dropped or emailed to say they couldn't make it (choosing a spring date is getting tougher each year), but hopefully we can boost that field size before the 18th.
Hobodog
Lulu

Post by Hobodog »

Well the big problem for Alabama schools is that you scheduled it during our State-Wide spring break...thus many Alabama schools can't come because they either A. can't field enough players or B. can't field a team they feel is worth bringing.
ASFA Tournament Champions 2003,2004,2006
---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

There was really just no good date this spring for us I guess. This one looked good in terms of no state tournaments, standardized tests, our travel plans, etc., and no one posted anything when we asked if there were any other conflicts that weekend. We didn't bother worrying about spring breaks since we figured it was kind of early for HS spring breaks, and different schools will have different breaks. Turns out several schools in at least a couple states have it conflicting. Oh well. Hopefully we'll still get some more teams, and we'll run a nice efficient tournament.
Hobodog
Lulu

Post by Hobodog »

Just as a note...Alabama's spring break is almost universal. It dates back to when Spring Break was determined by a week long teacher's union conference which determined exactly when the break was. (typically right between 3rd and 4th Quarters).
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Actually HD.. you are very wrong about the Spring Break being universal, this year has been the first year that I have had spring break with my family and that is just because I changed systems. Also, as I went to GA today for a visit, I counted at least 3 systems that were in school this week.

As for the other part, you are correct AEA week (Spring break) started because of AEA using that time to hold its annual meeting which is now held in the summer
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
Hobodog
Lulu

Post by Hobodog »

Ok...well I am speaking off of Birmingham Schools...And I meant next week. I don't intend on being anywhere near this board on my vacation. ;) It just runs into the beginning of Spring Break and thus presents a problem.
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

Well I didn't really mean to either but I have a tournament for my middle school team this coming Saturday
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Any last-minute additions out there? We'll still take them for a little while. Brindlee Mountain, you guys are NOT coming, right? I swear Lee sent an email as such a while ago, but it's nowhere to be found in our inbox. Either I'm crazy or accidentally deleted it...
Last edited by vandyhawk on Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

You're not crazy. I hate that we can't make it.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
matt-ray
Kimahri

Post by matt-ray »

I look forward to seeing everyone there, even if I did see all of the Kentucky teams less than a week ago.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Quick results:

Varsity:
1. duPont Manual A
2. Dorman B
3T: Dorman A
3T: Madisonville-NH A

JV:
1. duPont Manual A
2. duPont Manual B
3T: Apollo A
3T: Webb A

I might get stats posted tonight, might be tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who came and helped things run so smoothly.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

Full results are now posted at http://www.vanderbilt.edu/college_bowl/ ... sults.html Thanks again to all the schools who came and to all who helped out and allowed everything to run very smoothly. We hope to see many of you next fall.