Question sources

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jeffburns1
Lulu

Question sources

Post by jeffburns1 »

I know there are a few sites out there that list question writing companies. However, the ones that I'm familiar with are somewhat outdated. Does anybody know where one would find a comprehensive, up-to-date list of question sources?

In regards to the National Organization talk that's been going on lately, I really think that one of the primary purposes of a national quiz bowl organization should be to create a clearinghouse of information on buzzers, questions, question writing, tournament hosting, formats, playing schedule generators, etc.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

The list I had for all that information at Case 10 years ago may still be up and running, but it is also rather outdated.

Doing a links list is a job for a very enthusiastic student who loves Googling (hence why I am not able to update it... life happens you know). If you know anyone who would like to do that, I'm sure that we would appreciate putting up such a list for PACE or on this board.

Volunteers? Contact me or Matt.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

You can get a pretty good list by clicking on my signature, then clicking on Scho-Bowl Links. One new company we need to add to the list is Aegis. The entire listing does not imply an endorsement.

It seems like this would be an ideal topic for the new organization (or alliance or old organization named PACE) to take on. If it isn't, then IHSSBCA might see what it can do. If anybody has any bright ideas about how to rate vendors, then I would like to hear them. I will warn you that getting lots of people to give a thumbs up or thumbs down is useless because opinions vary and polls can be stacked--there needs to be some real information from people that a buyer should trust, yet it is difficult for people like me to get negative because we don't want to burn bridges. (It's easier for students to say that questions suck than it is for adults. It is easier for adults to say it face-to-face than in a public forum. About all I can say here is that many vendors are not very good.)

It would also be nice if a system was built for tournaments that use house questions to share them with people from regions that don't visit their tournament, either for other questions or for money.

Even though it is slightly off-topic, I will also put in a plug for the Stanford Archive. If you have good questions that you have rights to, please consider sending them to the Stanford Archive. It is a way to give to the game. They have told me that they would be happy to add more high school or junior high school questions. It would be nice if they had some high school questions that weren't written by me.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
jeffburns1
Lulu

Post by jeffburns1 »

Good list. Under buzzers, you should add Anderson Enterprises, phone 785-827-3014, in Salina Kansas. They do not have a website. They make great 10-player systems, case and shipping included, for $190.

Anderson Enterprises

2544 Angus Ln
Salina, KS 67401-7151
(785) 827-3014
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

could you post a picture of it please.. I would like to see what it looks like. I am in the market for a new one very soon.
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
thepowerofche
Lulu

Post by thepowerofche »

Anderson Enterprises, as a matter of fact, does have a website now. Its URL is http://www.andersonbuzzersystems.com/. They have pictures, descriptions, and order forms there; however, it seems you have to snail mail your orders in.