CO Trash Skype mirror: Sunday, October 16

Old college threads.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

CO Trash Skype mirror: Sunday, October 16

Post by theMoMA »

Hello,

It appears that there is enough interest to warrant a Skype mirror of CO Trash. If you'd like to play, please arrange yourselves into a team of four. Once you've got a team, email me ([email protected]) to register. People seeking teams can post in this thread so we can get teams together. This includes anyone interested in playing who wasn't on the string of emails that went out to find a good tournament date.

The cost is $12 per player, which you can pay via Venmo (@andrewhart1987) or check (email me for mailing instructions).

The tournament will be canceled if we don't have at least four teams of at least three players apiece registered by Wednesday, October 12. For now, we'll cap the field at six, but we can look to expand if there's demand for it.

I will edit this thread with logistical information as the tournament nears.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
rylltraka
Tidus

Re: CO Trash Skype mirror: Sunday, October 16

Post by rylltraka »

I would like to play this and need a team. Multiple quizbowl players will vouch for my tolerability.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
Valefor
Wakka

Post by Valefor »

Here's a team formation spreadsheet, if anyone would like to use it: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Ramapriya and I are looking for a third; specifically, someone who knows sports things.
Jason Thompson
aka "that one reader with the ponytail and the Transylvania sweatshirt"
NAQT member
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

I am a free agent so far, although I'd be willing to join Jason and Ramapriya's team if they want me. I've made lots of early buzzes on big 4 sports/golf/tennis/Olympics sports tossups in past trash tournaments, although I don't know as much about boxing/WWE/MMA as a lot of other trash players. I usually get either a movie or a TV tossup each round, but usually not both, but that buzz could be in a variety of genres. I'm not that great at music or video games.
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
moderator/scorekeeper at some tournaments in Ohio, and sometimes elsewhere
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego
Valefor
Wakka

Post by Valefor »

So, going by the Google Sheet, it looks like there's enough people for at least 3 3-person teams. Andrew, has anyone else emailed you to sign up who's not on the google sheet?
Jason Thompson
NAQT member
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

I just sent out another email. I haven't heard from anyone via email specifically, but I think there's enough shadow interest to get enough teams; it's just a matter of getting everyone signed up.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Valefor
Wakka

Post by Valefor »

Jonathan, I've gone ahead and moved you onto the team with Ramapriya and myself; please let me know if you'd like me to undo that.

It looks like right now that, counting the free agents, there are enough people on the sheet that this will hopefully run. :)
Jason Thompson
NAQT member
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

Vissi d'arte wrote:Jonathan, I've gone ahead and moved you onto the team with Ramapriya and myself; please let me know if you'd like me to undo that.

It looks like right now that, counting the free agents, there are enough people on the sheet that this will hopefully run. :)
That sounds good. I look forward to Sunday.
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

Yes, assuming the two free agents currently listed find their way onto the two two-person teams still present, we'll run the event on Sunday.

I'm going to cap the teams right now at four. Even after the two free agents find homes, there are still four slots available, one on each team. I will allow teams to expand to five if every other team has four and more people still want to play. Players will have until the end of the day Saturday to find teams. Any currently listed free agent (or any unlisted free agents still lurking in the shadows) should contact the current teams to find their spots asap. Thanks.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
ahuff
Lulu

Post by ahuff »

I'd like to join as a free agent. I'm pretty good at rap, football, and basketball if any team needs that.
Andy Huff
St. Johns 2017
Chicago 2020
ahuff
Lulu

Post by ahuff »

Also, William and I would prefer to play together, so can we join one of the teams of 2?
Andy Huff
St. Johns 2017
Chicago 2020
Yeah, that's a thing
Lulu

Post by Yeah, that's a thing »

What time is the tournament expected to start?
Connor Teevens
Detroit Catholic Central '11
Michigan State University '15
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

I'll send out an email shortly. Expect to log onto Skype by 9:30 central with games beginning at 10.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
sephirothrr
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by sephirothrr »

this set is amazing, thanks so much for writing it and giving me the opportunity to hear these questions

so hyped for 2018
Ramapriya
Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance
University of Louisville
duPont Manual High School
Birdofredum Sawin wrote: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:52 pmIf you don't want to be regarded as a "raving lunatic," it might be advisable to rave less, or at least to do so in a less loony manner.
Valefor
Wakka

Post by Valefor »

Agreed, this was so much fun to play! Fantastic set. :grin:
Jason Thompson
NAQT member
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Thanks to everyone who came out and played! We hope you enjoyed the set. Please continue not spoiling it to our Canadian friends and/or enemies.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

This was really fun. Thanks for doing all of this. How soon will the packets be released/able to be discussed?
Jonathan Graham