2016 MUT: Errata

Old college threads.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

2016 MUT: Errata

Post by theMoMA »

If you noticed any errata or typos or grammatical errors, first of all, the editors place the blame squarely on Carsten, and second of all, you should post about it here so we can fix it for future sites. Thanks!
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
cruzeiro
Rikku

Re: Errata

Post by cruzeiro »

In Pack 5, bonus 8 (Carthage/Rome), the bonus seems to suggest (or did when I played this set) that the Battle of Cannae came after the Battle of the Metaurus River, which is incorrect.
Dennis Beeby
Waterloo Collegiate Institute, 2011
University of Ottawa, 2016
Queen's University, 2017, 2019
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Oh yeah, that's a dumb error on my part--I'll fix that.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Make sure your seatbelt is fastened
Lulu

Post by Make sure your seatbelt is fastened »

The tossup on Raphael mentions a parody by Joseph Reynolds, instead of Joshua Reynolds.
Itamar Naveh-Benjamin
Mizzou '19
UVA '23
not quite
Lulu

Post by not quite »

Packet 9, bonus 13:
Packet 9, bonus 13 wrote:[10] Jarry was a precursor of this movement, for which André Breton wrote two manifestos. This use of dream-like imagery by writers from this movement helped inspire painters from this movement, including Salvador Dalí.
There's an extra "this" in here.

Also, the tossup on works of art does not provide a noun to describe one of the works described.
Akhil Garg
Lisgar '13
VCU '16
McGill '20
setophaga
Lulu

Post by setophaga »

The Rd. 11 tossup on money had "monetarist" earlier in the question.
Sameer Apte
Carnegie Mellon '19
New England Conservatory '21
Stony Brook '25
Sam
Rikku

Post by Sam »

setophaga wrote:The Rd. 11 tossup on money had "monetarist" earlier in the question.
That's not really an error.
Sam Bailey
Minnesota '21
Chicago '13
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Make sure your seatbelt is fastened wrote:The tossup on Raphael mentions a parody by Joseph Reynolds, instead of Joshua Reynolds.
Late response here, but this is correct; it's a Raphael painting being parodied by Joseph Reynolds. The reverse would be quite a temporal coup.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Make sure your seatbelt is fastened
Lulu

Post by Make sure your seatbelt is fastened »

Auks Ran Ova wrote:
Make sure your seatbelt is fastened wrote:The tossup on Raphael mentions a parody by Joseph Reynolds, instead of Joshua Reynolds.
Late response here, but this is correct; it's a Raphael painting being parodied by Joseph Reynolds. The reverse would be quite a temporal coup.
Sorry - my point was that the tossup claims that "Joseph Reynolds" made the parody, but the artist's name was Joshua Reynolds.
Itamar Naveh-Benjamin
Mizzou '19
UVA '23
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Make sure your seatbelt is fastened wrote:
Auks Ran Ova wrote:
Sorry - my point was that the tossup claims that "Joseph Reynolds" made the parody, but the artist's name was Joshua Reynolds.
Oh, I'm a dummy. Worst part is that I remember misparsing that at first, then later parsing it correctly, then looking back to make sure I'd hit all the changes and misparsing it again. Must've been channeling Carsten or something.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Lake Winnipesaukee Mystery Stone
Wakka

Post by Lake Winnipesaukee Mystery Stone »

cruzeiro wrote:In Pack 5, bonus 8 (Carthage/Rome), the bonus seems to suggest (or did when I played this set) that the Battle of Cannae came after the Battle of the Metaurus River, which is incorrect.
Though it went to the other team, this question also suggested Carthage was a kingdom, which is...bold.
Oliver Clarke
King Edward's School, Birmingham '11
Oxford '16
St Andrews '18
Oxford '23
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

The "Carthage is a kingdom" thing should have been corrected before future playings. Sorry about that!
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Schroeder
Lulu

Post by Schroeder »

I'm not sure if this would count as an erratum, but in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms bonus in packet 8, it's not entirely correct to describe Lu Xun the general and Lu Xun the author as having the same name, since their names are written with different characters and the tones on Lu are different. (the thing about the tones would be just slightly more problematic if someone wants to give an answer without Americanizing the name)
Jonchee Kao
Bellarmine '15, Berkeley '19, Harvard
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Schroeder wrote:I'm not sure if this would count as an erratum, but in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms bonus in packet 8, it's not entirely correct to describe Lu Xun the general and Lu Xun the author as having the same name, since their names are written with different characters and the tones on Lu are different. (the thing about the tones would be just slightly more problematic if someone wants to give an answer without Americanizing the name)
I realized this was probably the case while writing it, but I figured that since quizbowl is played entirely in English*, the distinction wouldn't be worth writing the bonus part in a more verbose way like "...could be lazily romanized in the same way as the pen name of an author...". No one is answering in hanzi and any tonally-distinct verbal answer is sufficiently equivalent in English.

(also, I was hurriedly hunting for a replacement bonus part to alleviate a repeat, so really this is all Andrew Hart's fault)
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
yeah viv talk nah
Lulu

Post by yeah viv talk nah »

Schroeder wrote:I'm not sure if this would count as an erratum, but in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms bonus in packet 8, it's not entirely correct to describe Lu Xun the general and Lu Xun the author as having the same name, since their names are written with different characters and the tones on Lu are different. (the thing about the tones would be just slightly more problematic if someone wants to give an answer without Americanizing the name)
I had a similar issue with the "Kali" tossup. The Kali Yuga (pronounced kinda like "cuh-lee") is not named after the goddess Kāli (pronounced "kaa-lee"); the two are completely different. The only thing that "links" the two is their English transliteration, so it's not really correct to write a common link tossup on the two.
Ani P.
Farragut, UMD, PSU
Quinctilius Varus
Wakka

Post by Quinctilius Varus »

The bonus about cigarettes in art in packet 2 refers to van Gogh as a 20th-century painter. It also gave a slightly-off title for Skull of a Skeleton with Burning Cigarette, the painting mentioned in the same bonus part (I don't remember the exact phrasing).
EDIT: packet 2, not round 2
William Golden
University of Texas at Austin '22
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Quinctilius Varus wrote:The bonus about cigarettes in art in packet 2 refers to van Gogh as a 20th-century painter. It also gave a slightly-off title for Skull of a Skeleton with Burning Cigarette, the painting mentioned in the same bonus part (I don't remember the exact phrasing).
EDIT: packet 2, not round 2
The van Gogh error is my fault at this point, since I think it was pointed out before and I must have missed it in corrections. The painting of which you speak has a variety of acceptable titles, though the error here appears to just be a typo ("Skull of as Skeleton..."). My apologies!
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT