Postseason Polls

Old college threads.
Cheynem
Sin

Postseason Polls

Post by Cheynem »

These will be coming soon for team and players. There are a few other tournaments to go through (which I doubt will affect the top of your ballots too much, but might have some insight), so expect them around mid-May.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Re: Postseason Polls

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Are people interested in having a post-season roundtable discussion of some sort beforehand? Doesn't have to be about rankings alone - can also be about what the year was like in general, what people thought of the sets/schedule, etc.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock
Wakka

Post by Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:Are people interested in having a post-season roundtable discussion of some sort beforehand? Doesn't have to be about rankings alone - can also be about what the year was like in general, what people thought of the sets/schedule, etc.
I'd be interested in this.
Ryan Bilger
Emmaus '15, Gettysburg '19, West Virginia '21
National Park Service

"I never saved anything for the swim back." - Vincent Freeman, Gattaca
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

I was thinking it would be nice to expand the individual player poll a bit to recognize achievements that are somewhat external to the "who is objectively better than who" analysis. Some examples of this kind of thing would be Writer of the Year, Editor of the Year, Most Improved Player of the Year, Comeback Player of the Year, maybe some kind of Best Moment of Sportsmanship thing, etc.

Maybe it doesn't have to be a full poll. I just figured it would be nice to acknowledge the great things people are doing in quizbowl, both for themselves and for the community.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

I wonder if this is the year to expand the player poll to 35 or 40. As I suggested before, people could still submit ballots of 25 (or maybe 30), but the cutoff for honorable mention would simply be moved down. I also think Stephen's ideas are cool, but they could take a bit of time to administer.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

I think people could submit a ranking of three candidates for each of the categories Stephen suggested, which would make it a bit easier (3 points for first, 2 for second, 1 for third). It'd basically be a mini-poll, and since only one person "wins" then only having three people is fair.
Last edited by naan/steak-holding toll on Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I wonder if perhaps those are things the Roundtable could hash out. I don't think we need to statistically come up with "winners" for these awards, rather just get people to talk about them and get some recognition. I might include something like "name your Most Improved Player" in the ballot, but I don't want to overburden the ballots per se. If other people want to handle the mini polls, go ahead.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

gyre and gimble wrote:I was thinking it would be nice to expand the individual player poll a bit to recognize achievements that are somewhat external to the "who is objectively better than who" analysis. Some examples of this kind of thing would be Writer of the Year, Editor of the Year, Most Improved Player of the Year, Comeback Player of the Year, maybe some kind of Best Moment of Sportsmanship thing, etc.

Maybe it doesn't have to be a full poll. I just figured it would be nice to acknowledge the great things people are doing in quizbowl, both for themselves and for the community.
I really support this. Even if we don't have a full-blown poll, it would be nice to just have a few people talk about these things on a roundtable or whatever so that there is some recognition.
Ike
UIUC 13
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Should we plan for a roundtable sometime next week, then? I'm free pretty much any day but Wednesday or Friday.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

Ike wrote:
gyre and gimble wrote:I was thinking it would be nice to expand the individual player poll a bit to recognize achievements that are somewhat external to the "who is objectively better than who" analysis. Some examples of this kind of thing would be Writer of the Year, Editor of the Year, Most Improved Player of the Year, Comeback Player of the Year, maybe some kind of Best Moment of Sportsmanship thing, etc.

I really support this. Even if we don't have a full-blown poll, it would be nice to just have a few people talk about these things on a roundtable or whatever so that there is some recognition.
This might be a stupid question, but will the roundtable discussion be preserved somewhere accessible? The reason I suggested integrating this into the poll is so that whatever discussion results would be preserved, and whatever conclusions are arrived upon would be remembered.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

gyre and gimble wrote:
Ike wrote:

This might be a stupid question, but will the roundtable discussion be preserved somewhere accessible? The reason I suggested integrating this into the poll is so that whatever discussion results would be preserved, and whatever conclusions are arrived upon would be remembered.
Somebody can take a log of it - I believe this has been done in the past.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16