NY / NJ Date Claims, 2015-16

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Re: NY / NJ Date Claims, 2015-16

Post by High Dependency Unit »

The Darien Invitational will be held on IS-152 on January 30. We are also bidding for mirroring ACF regionals for high schools on that same date.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Saint Joe's claims December 19th for its 6th Annual GSAC.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Perhaps I do not know where to look, but does anyone have any news on the History Bee and Bowl results for the NHBB competitions held this weekend at Princeton on Saturday and Tenafly on Sunday? Perhaps you can point me to a site that has this information? So far I have not found one.

Thanks.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
sdk
Lulu

Post by sdk »

Mr. Powers:

I don't know about NHBB at Tenafly, but at Princeton, High Tech A and East Brunswick A finished first and second, respectively, in the varsity Bowl, and Alex Schmidt of Lehigh Valley took first in the JV Bowl. In the varsity Bee, Sam K. of High Tech, Emmett L. of East Brunswick, and Andrew H. of High Tech took first, second, and third respectively. Doug S. of High Tech beat Alex Schmidt in the JV Bee to take first.
Samuel Kao
High Tech '17
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

The results at Teaneck / Torah Academy to the best of my knowledge:
Bergen defeated Ridgewood 260-200 in the Varsity Bowl final. Julian from Kings Park [clap] won the Varsity Bee over David and Rebecca from Bergen.
I think the JV final was Newark Academy A vs B, and I am completely spacing out on who won the JV Bee.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Thanks Sam and Jon for reporting these results. I will reciprocate when St. Joe's attends the Southern NJ regional at Donovan Catholic on December 12th.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Can we get an updated version of the calendar? There's the one in the first post, the more updated version downthread, and new info since then (e.g. A Set for NHBB on 3/12 is at Phillipsburg, not Seton Hall). The NHBB tournaments, fwiw, are up to date as reflected at historybowl.com though I'm in the process of seeing about a 3rd area A Set tournament at Tuxedo Park.
David Madden
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Post by The Polebarn Hotel »

Would anyone who is pleading for an updated calendar like to work on that themselves? Or, if other people have made their own individual regional calendars, would they like to share those?
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

NHBB will run a new tournament, the Hudson Valley Championships, at Tuxedo Park School on Saturday, Feb. 20 on A Set. This is a 3rd version of A Set in the area to complement the Mid-Atlantic Championships at Phillipsburg HS on March 12 and the Long Island Championships at Kings Park HS on April 3. Effectively, this will mean we'll have the same number of tournaments in the Greater NYC area as last year - the tournament site that ran last school year and isn't running this year in the area is Seton Hall Univ. Sign up as always at http://www.historybowl.com/registration
This tournament may have a middle school division as well in the Bowl - we're looking into that.
David Madden
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

This calendar is what I use for planning for our team, so some of these are in Pennsylvania but I figured since PA is accessible to many NJ teams I would leave them on. I will also indicate when a tournament is tentative.
Key:
Pennsylvania
Connecticut
Delaware
Tentative/Guessing based on last year

Schedule beginning 12/12
12/12: Southern NJ NHBB Regionals (C set)
12/19: GSAC @ St. Joes/Manheim Academic Tournament (IS-151A)
12/26: None
1/2: None (Mountain Lakes will not be running a tournament this year because they have a new coach)
1/9: Scarsdale?
1/16: NHBB NJ States @ Ridgewood HS (B Set)
1/23: Columbia Winter Tournament (BISB)
1/30: QUAC @ Penn (heard it might be moved)/Darien Invitational (IS-152/ACF Regs)
2/6: Ramapo (not sure whats happening but it was mentioned in this thread)
2/13: BHSAT @ Yale
2/20: Battle for Mid-Atlantic Dominance @ Wilmington Charter (D2-SCT)/GVQBT @ Great Valley in Malvern (IS-149A)/Scarlet Knight Invitational @ Rutgers (IS-153A)
2/27: NAQT Funfest @ East Brunswick (2015 SSNCT)/Brainbusters Solo @ Geneva HS (2016 NTSS)
3/5: QuBit @ High Tech (UMD Spring)/Bergen Spring Tournament @ Bergen Academies (Bergen Spring)
3/12: Blue Hen Invitational @ UD (guessing off of last year
3/19: March Madness @ Livingston HS (IS-154)
3/26: NY Metro State Championships @ Columbia U (IS-156)/NJ State Championships @ Princeton U (IS-156)
4/2: Prison Bowl @ Hunter College HS (Prison Bowl)
4/9: None
4/16: KPAQT @ Kings Park (IS-155A)

National Championships:
NHBB National Championships: April 22-24 in Washington DC
2016 HSNCT: May 27-29 in Dallas
2016 SSNCT: April 29-May 1 in Chicago
2016 PACE NSC: June 4-5 in Chicago
2016 NASAT: June 18-19 @ University of Kentucky

I believe this is all correct, but correct me if I'm wrong or if I missed anything. Hope this helps :)
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21
Dead Parrot
Wakka

Post by Dead Parrot »

As indicated by Emmett's post above, Rutgers University-New Brunswick is hosting a revival of the long-dormant Scarlet Knight Invitational Tournament (SKIT) on Saturday, February 20th using NAQT IS-153A. A full announcement will be posted shortly.
David Song
Livingston '14, Rutgers '18
EricRamapoQB
Lulu

Post by EricRamapoQB »

An update has been posted at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =1&t=18186 confirming the Ramapo Rambowl tournament on February 6 with a cap of 16 teams and have been informed (Thank you bird bird bird/NAQT) that we should use another set.
Eric, captain of Ramapo High School's Quizbowl team (NJ)
rhsbowl
Lulu

Post by rhsbowl »

Ridgewood High School's quiz bowl team will be hosting its first tournament this year, most likely mirroring CALI. We are strongly considering April 9th. Could any of you with more experience in the realm of tournament management give your opinion on if this date is fine, or if having Prison Bowl the week before and Kings Park the week after will probably decrease the number of teams attending? May seems rather late in the year for quiz bowl, but we have no background in this area, so maybe we're wrong.
Molly Sokota
President, Ridgewood High School Quiz Bowl
KnicksRule
Wakka

Post by KnicksRule »

AMSA will be hosting the MIST Tournament this Saturday (3/12) on the Maryland Fall Question Set.
Abhinav Kurada
AMSA Charter School '12-'16
Captain '13-'16
2x winner of United States Geography Olympiad (2013, 2014); USGO International Team Member (2015)
SSNCT Runner-Up (2014); T-21 HSNCT (2015)
Votre Kickstarter Est Nul
Rikku

Post by Votre Kickstarter Est Nul »

Any chance of a pre-nationals warm-up style tournament? Maybe on D2-SCT (I'm pretty sure all nationals teams in NJ haven't played that). Just a small thing in May (first weekend?). I don't know who would host or if its possible but just putting it out there in case someone can
Emmett Laurie
East Brunswick '16
Rutgers University '21