(Missouri Open 2015) Specific Question Discussion

Old college threads.
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Re: (Missouri Open 2015) Specific Question Discussion

Post by Muriel Axon »

I took Stephen's suggestion and combined it with the rewording of the second sentence I'd mentioned before. Thanks for the suggestions, both of you.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
gerbilownage
Lulu

Re: (Missouri Open 2015) Specific Question Discussion

Post by gerbilownage »

7. In a work inspired by this conflict, a fisherman earns money by showing tourists his “scar made by a rusted anchor.” A poem alluding to the aftermath of this conflict compares a “husband’s longing” to an adulterer hearing his lover’s name in “every gull’s outcry,” and laments: “The (*) classics can console. But not enough.” That work’s author was inspired by this war to include Major Plunkett, Seven Seas, and Ma Kilman in a work set on St. Lucia. In his Omeros, Derek Walcott adapted – for 10 points – what war chronicled in the Iliad?
ANSWER: Trojan War
I felt like the Omeros-thru-Trojan-War tossup had a rather unspecific leadin. Omeros was influenced by several wars, and I negged with Revolutionary War because a whole section of the poem is devoted the involvement of Plunkett's ancestor in the Battle of the Saintes. True, the Trojan War was the main inspiration, but I feel the leadin could have indicated more clearly that the Trojan War was specifically what was wanted.
Laurence Li
Westview HS '13
Yale '17
Harvard '20