Darien (CT) Invitational (1/30/16)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Darien (CT) Invitational (1/30/16)

Post by High Dependency Unit »

The Darien High School Quiz Bowl Team is pleased to announce the 1st annual Darien Invitational to be held at Darien High School in Darien, Connecticut on January 30, 2016.
Location: 80 High School Lane, Darien, CT, 06820. Teams should take either I-95 (exits 10, 11) or the Merritt Parkway (exits 36, 37) to reach the event.
Tournament Format: The tournament will be split into “National” and “Standard” divisions and each division will have its own format (to be determined by the size of the field). Teams are allowed to choose which division to sign up for.
The “nationals” division is for some of the best teams in the country and will be played on a set more challenging than that of high school nationals. We recommend that only teams who fared well at nationals last year consider playing in this division.
The “standard” division is designed to be appropriate for teams of all skill levels. The majority of teams should sign up for this division.
Question Set: We will be using NAQT IS-152 for the standard division. The set for the nationals division has not yet been determined, but it will be a collegiate set..
Nationals Qualification: This tournament will not be a qualifier for NAQT HSNCT. We will seek to become an NSC qualifier.
$100 per team in the nationals division
$80 per team in the standard division
-$5 per working buzzer (max 3 per school)
-$10 per moderator
-$10 for every 200 miles traveled one way

To register, please email [email protected]. Please include the number of teams in each division, the number of buzzers and moderators you are bringing (if any), and include a phone number that can be used to contact you on the date of the tournament.
Payment: Payment is expected on the date of the tournament with either cash or a check made out to Darien High School. Please request an invoice from us if you need one.
Lunch: As there are no eating options a reasonable distance from the high school, teams can either bring lunch or order pizza through us. We will ask for teams to provide the number of pizzas they would like to order in the weeks leading up to the event-you do not have to provide that information when you initially register.
Field Size: There will be a “soft cap” of 24 teams (combined from both divisions) to begin. As we obtain more staff, we will be able to raise the cap. We will need at least 6 teams in order to run the “Nationals” division.

Waitlist policy: Teams will be placed on the waitlist in the following order:
1. A Teams of schools bringing a moderator
2. A teams of schools not already in the field
3. All B,C, etc. teams
Within each of those subdivisions, teams will be placed in chronological order of registration. We anticipate that many teams will be added from the waitlist as teams drop from the field or from field expansions.

If you have any questions regarding the tournament, please contact us at [email protected] and we’ll be glad to help. We hope you will attend the tournament -- we would love to see you there!

Current Field (Nationals/Standard/buzzers/moderators):
Lexington (0/2/1/0)
Wilmington Charter (1/0/2/0)
Newtown (0/1/1/0)
Hunter (1/1/2/0)
Ithaca (1/2/1/1)
St. Luke's (0/1/0/0)
East Brunswick (1/1/1/1)
Delaware Valley (1/2/3/2)
Middlesex Middle (0/2/?/2)
Bethlehem (1/0/1/0)
North Babylon (0/1/2/0)
Emma Willard (0/1/0/0)
Suffield (0/2/0/1)
E.O. Smith (1/1/0/1)
Needham (0/1/1/0)
Wallenpaupeck (0/1/1/1)
House (1 nats)

Current total: 27 teams

The field is closed.
Last edited by High Dependency Unit on Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:01 am, edited 27 times in total.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bowdoin College (club president) '21
Ithaca Cricket Ump
Wakka

Re: Darien (CT) Invitational (1/30/16)

Post by Ithaca Cricket Ump »

Mike:

It is possible that I might be able to staff this if I'm not out of the country that week. It is even more possible if Ithaca plays this, which I don't know if they're planning to do or not. Get in touch with me on Facebook or by e-mail in a month or so, and I'll have a more solid answer for you then.

--Scott
Scott M. Blish
Cheval, FL
Cornell 1990-92, 1997
Tournament Director, BrainBusters Fall
HSNCT moderator 2012-, MSNCT 2013-, SSNCT 2014-, PACE NSC 2013-, NHBB Nationals 2014-
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Ithaca Cricket Ump wrote:Mike:

It is possible that I might be able to staff this if I'm not out of the country that week. It is even more possible if Ithaca plays this, which I don't know if they're planning to do or not. Get in touch with me on Facebook or by e-mail in a month or so, and I'll have a more solid answer for you then.

--Scott
Thanks for letting me know, and I'll be sure to check in then.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
KnicksRule
Wakka

Post by KnicksRule »

AMSA would like to register 2 teams (1 nationals/ 1 standard) and 2 buzzers
Abhinav Kurada
AMSA Charter School '12-'16
Captain '13-'16
2x winner of United States Geography Olympiad (2013, 2014); USGO International Team Member (2015)
SSNCT Runner-Up (2014); T-21 HSNCT (2015)
1915 in philosophy
Lulu

Post by 1915 in philosophy »

Michael,

St. Luke's would like to register one team for now for the standard division. Thanks for putting this together, great to have another tournament in the area, if not the backyard ;)

Porter
Porter Bowman
Middlesex MS Captain 2012-2013 (7th at MSNCT 2013)
Darien 2013-2014
St. Luke's School 2017
deviziak
Lulu

Post by deviziak »

I had sent this by email before, but posting here too. Delaware Valley HS will bring one team for each division plus one moderator.
Kevin DeVizia
Delaware Valley High School
Milford, PA
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

deviziak wrote:I had sent this by email before, but posting here too. Delaware Valley HS will bring one team for each division plus one moderator.
My apologies - thanks for catching that.

On another note, we are 5 teams away from the current field cap!
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

We are very happy to say that the Nationals division will be serving as a mirror of ACF Regionals! High school teams will not be required to submit packets, and the registration fee will continue to be $100.

And with the addition of two teams from Suffield, the field is now full! Our waitlist policy will be placed in the OP.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
needhamquizteam
Lulu

Post by needhamquizteam »

Needham will bring a team and a buzzer system for Standard Division
Roger Ramesh
NHS 18'
Captain
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

We have expanded the field to 28 teams, encompassing all teams currently on the waitlist. Additionally, we have added a mileage discount in line with ACF's ($10 for every 200 miles traveled one way). Finally, teams in the nationals division need to register with ACF: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1k-DLgN ... rm?c=0&w=1
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
deviziak
Lulu

Post by deviziak »

Just confirming… we had DV bringing two moderators and three buzzers to go with our one team in the National Division and two teams in the Regular Division.
Kevin DeVizia
Delaware Valley High School
Milford, PA
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

deviziak wrote:Just confirming… we had DV bringing two moderators and three buzzers to go with our one team in the National Division and two teams in the Regular Division.
That's been corrected. Thanks!
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

With a few drops and the addition of a house team, we have closed the field.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

Will standard division stats be posted?
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
High Dependency Unit
Yuna

Congratulations to Bethlehem for going undefeated to win the Nationals division! Wilmington Charter A finished second.

Congratulations to Hunter B for going undefeated to win the Freedom division! Hunter beat E.O. Smith B 285-235 in the final.

All stats are now up at: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/3383/

For some reason, no matter what I do, Middlesex's game against Lexington B won't go under their name. Beyond that, please let us know of any errors that can be fixed.
Michael Borecki
Middlesex Middle '13,
Darien (co-captain) '17,