2015 CO Visual Arts

Old college threads.
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Re: 2015 CO Visual Arts

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

At what time should we arrive on Sunday morning?
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

The plan right now is 8:30.

Can I also get someone to do stats?
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Hello everyone,

As I said earlier today, please plan on arriving by 8:30 tomorrow.

Due to some last minute adds and drops, as well as some reconsiderations, the brackets are now as follows:

Gupta/Lawrence
Brownstein/Manners
Sorice/Tourdot
Jackson/Ray
Hart/Davis
Alston/Wang/Golimlim
Cheyne/Minarik/Peterson
Borglum/Beyer/Hughes

Nediger/Moyen
Carson/Jose
Bentley/Adams
Holub-Moorman/Reed
Lee/Vinokurov
Casalaspi/Hothem
Hang/Ebner/Kern
Lafer/Asher

EDIT: Actually, Jerry's dropped out so stay tuned for the actual brackets.

I also have the following people staffing:

Me
Eric Mukherjee
Ashvin Srivatsa
Richard Yu
Tejas Raje
Andrew Nadig
Joe Su
Derek So
Patrick Liao
Jonathan Magin

If you're staffing and you don't have your own laptop to read from, please let me know ASAP! You can use the email on my profile.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

Rounds after 7 preliminary rounds. The last round will consist of crossover games between teams with the same new seed (i.e. Pizza1 vs. Fire1)
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

Final stats are here.

Kelly Tourdot and Mike Sorice defeated Will Nediger and Saajid Moyen in a one game final to win the event. The top scorers for this event were Will Nediger with 95.71 PPG (as well as 8 superpowers), Jordan Brownstein with 87.14 PPG, and Matt Bollinger with 75 PPG.

After the seven prelim rounds, the new seeds played the corresponding seed in the other bracket (e.g. Pizza1 played Fire1, Pizza2 played Fire2, etc.) The final standings are as follows.

1. Kelly Tourdot/Mike Sorice
2. Will Nediger/Saajid Moyen
3. Matt Bollinger/Tommy Casalaspi/Daniel Hothem
4. Jordan Brownstein/Chris Manners
5. Ike Jose/Rob Carson
6. John Lawrence/Auroni Gupta
7. Mike Bentley/Evan Adams
8. Matt Lafer/Chris Grubb/Ryan Westbrook
9. Jacob Reed/Will Holub-Moorman
10. Trevor Davis/Andrew Hart
T11. Dylan Minarik/Mike Cheyne/Greg Peterson and Will Alston/Kenji Golimlim/Andrew Wang
13. Chris Ray/Matt Jackson
14. Athena Kern/Jasper Lee
15. Chris Borglum/Foster Hughes/Billy Beyer
16. Charles Hang/Seth Ebner

If there's any mistakes, feel free to email or PM me.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

This tournament was excellent and easily the highlight of my CO weekend. Thanks Stephen, Doug and everyone else who had a hand in producing this wonderful side event.
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

I'll echo Daniel's sentiment - even though I'm substantially better at history than visual arts and had a great time at CO History, this tournament was my favorite to play on Sunday. It did a great job of balancing accessibility with introducing new material and was an absolutely perfect side event for a tournament like this one. I think future open side events (and possibly just open events in general) would do well to imitate this one both in difficulty and style.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:I'll echo Daniel's sentiment - even though I'm substantially better at history than visual arts and had a great time at CO History, this tournament was my favorite to play on Sunday. It did a great job of balancing accessibility with introducing new material and was an absolutely perfect side event for a tournament like this one. I think future open side events (and possibly just open events in general) would do well to imitate this one both in difficulty and style.
Plus or minus a few (very few relative to the total number) questions with playability issues, this set really was wonderful, with a "solid core," lots of fun and interesting clues, and a great/refreshing amount of "things people actually care about." Big thanks to Stephen and Doug. (Also to Will H-M for being a super teammate for this.)
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Thanks to everyone who played this, and a big congratulations to the 2015 CO Visual Arts champions, Mike Sorice and Kelly Tourdot! I was very impressed by the buzzes I was seeing all day, and I hope everybody had a lot of fun. It seems like people did indeed enjoy the questions, and I must say nothing could be more gratifying than seeing positive feedback for something you spend hours and hours working on.

I wasn't the only one to put in good time into this, though. Doug Graebner wrote 27 questions (all of the pre-1870 sculpture and architecture, the non-Western art, plus a handful of others). Nathan Weiser and Benji Nguyen contributed around half of the film. They were all very thorough with their clue research and I certainly learned a whole lot from editing their questions (mostly cosmetic, because they were generally very on-point with their cluing). Thanks is also due to Seth Teitler, who gave me some great last-minute feedback on difficulty control. This set would not have been nearly as refined or aesthetically complete as it was (some of you may have heard that I wrote the last remaining tossup for this set on the car ride to the tournament) without the hard work of everyone involved, and I couldn't express my gratitude enough.

Much thanks also to all of the staffers. I apologize for not being the most organized tournament director. But everyone knew what they were doing, we were able to start on time despite a lot of things that needed to get done in the morning, and I think my room was generally the slowest one, which means the tournament ran as efficiently as was possible given my own limitations. A lot of times in the past I've had a hard time getting people to staff tournaments I was in charge of, so it was awesome to see people enthusiastically helping out. Special thanks goes out to Patrick Liao for some very efficient control room work.

I'll be setting up a discussion thread (probably public, pending a mirror). In the meantime, I'd appreciate it if you didn't discuss specific questions.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I'll add onto the heap of praise for this set. Future open difficulty tournament writers should look to this set as a model for answer selection, clue selection, and difficulty control.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Joining in the chorus of praise. This tournament was well-written and fun to play. Thanks for putting it together, Stephen! (And to the other contributors for their questions, as well.)
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

This set was really fun. I think it was the best arts tournament that I have played, and there were numerous things that I have been waiting to come up in quizbowl for a decade that finally came up in this tournament. Thanks to you all for writing it.

Ike
Ike
UIUC 13
Taiwan Wren-Babbler
Lulu

Post by Taiwan Wren-Babbler »

Is there any chance there could be an online mirror of this tournament for those of us who didn't go to CO?
P.C. Chauhan
Rancho Bernardo '14
UCSD '18
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

Is there any chance there could be an online mirror of this tournament for those of us who didn't go to CO?
I second this suggestion.
Ryan Humphrey
UT Austin (Cell & Developmental PhD Program, 2018-?)
Duke University (Biology and History, Class of 2018)
George Washington High School (Charleston, WV, Class of 2014)
Former PACE Member (2017-2019)
Maury Island incident
Wakka

Post by Maury Island incident »

People seem to want online mirrors of just about every side event being played this summer. Perhaps we could have some kind of a side event day in which several online mirrors get run, maybe including the SHEIKH online mirror.
Colin Cantwell
Lexington '17
UVA '21
gyre and gimble
Yuna

You guys are welcome to run an online mirror, but I will neither be organizing nor staffing it.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Maury Island incident
Wakka

Post by Maury Island incident »

I'd be fine organizing logistics for online mirror things if people wanted, especially since I wasn't planning on playing this one (though while we're on that topic, I'd like to play SHEIKH and RILKE.)
Colin Cantwell
Lexington '17
UVA '21
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

This tournament is on the short list of greatest side events of all time. I was especially impressed with the large number of inventive answers that were new but still accessible to the field. The clues chosen were also almost always interesting and useful. This is a tournament to emulate.
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Yeah, I really enjoyed this tournament, particularly because it did a good job of being interesting while also not oppressive in difficulty.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
hydrocephalitic listlessness
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by hydrocephalitic listlessness »

This tournament was fantastic. As others have said, it should definitely be used as a guide by future open side event writers. More specifically, I'd say that it also can and should be a model for how to write questions on modern and contemporary art, even at lower difficulties. For example, I really liked the questions on entities that used clues about artists; both of those guys were really important artists, and this tournament found a way to ask about them without sacrificing playability.

Uncleared answers redacted --Mgmt.
Will H-M
Harvard '16
Princeton ~'26
ACF
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Thanks Will, but those questions aren't clear for discussion!
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Important Bird Area

Post by Important Bird Area »

Edited accordingly.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

Add my voice to this praise song: this may be the strongest set of upper-difficulty visual arts questions I've played to date.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

This was killer stuff. I wish I hadn't been so rusty on this subject so I could've enjoyed it even more, but even as it was I had a great time and loved the set. Fantastic work.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Can I get a private discussion forum set up for this? Thanks. (Or alternatively, people thinking about maybe doing a mirror, let me know as soon as you can because at some point I'm just going to post the questions.)
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Thanks very much for such a great tournament, Stephen! To repeat what others have said: this is one of the best subject tournaments ever written and I hope you'll all read it if you haven't already.
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
ktour84
Lulu

Post by ktour84 »

Thank you Stephen, Doug, Nathan, and Benji for a great tournament. The difficulty and answer selection were great. It was nice being able to buzz on clues that I've researched and written about.

I thought the distribution was great. The questions on 20th century art were well written, especially on the post WW2 subjects.
Kelly Tourdot

Stillman Valley (IL) 1999-2003
Illinois 2003-2007
UW-Madison (employed in Art Library) 2013-present
gyre and gimble
Yuna

I'd like to reiterate my request for a private discussion forum. Thanks!
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Important Bird Area

Post by Important Bird Area »

gyre and gimble wrote:I'd like to reiterate my request for a private discussion forum. Thanks!
This has been created.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
ktour84
Lulu

Post by ktour84 »

Will the question set be posted soon?
Kelly Tourdot

Stillman Valley (IL) 1999-2003
Illinois 2003-2007
UW-Madison (employed in Art Library) 2013-present
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

ktour84 wrote:Will the question set be posted soon?
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Sorry for the delay, everyone. I've finally got around to proofreading the set and just uploaded it, so it should appear on the database as soon as it's approved. Thanks again for all your interest, and for those of you who haven't seen them yet, I hope you enjoy the questions.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17