Tri-State Tussle at Delaware Valley HS (Matamoras, PA) 10/17

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
penforprez
Lulu

Tri-State Tussle at Delaware Valley HS (Matamoras, PA) 10/17

Post by penforprez »

I am hosting the inaugural Tri-State Tussle with DV coach Kevin DeVizia on October 17, 2015 at Delaware Valley High School along with DV coach, which is just off Interstate 84 at the Delaware River (Exit 53 in PA). This location is close to much of upstate New York, New York City, Long Island, and New England, so we encourage all of you to come out and hope to see teams from a wide variety of locations.

We will use an NAQT IS set, the actual set TBD. Standard rules will be in effect (powers, negs, etc., with sudden death overtime) with ACF timing (five seconds for everything). We are planning for a field of 16 to 24 teams based on staffing. Formatting will be standard: round robin in the morning, with rebracketing and a round robin in the afternoon. A final/advantaged final will be played as necessary, with trophies for top teams and book prizes for top scorers.

Base fee will be $85 (second and subsequent teams $75), with the following discounts applied, one each per school:

Working buzzer: -$5

Staffer with Pennsylvania Act 153 Clearances: -$20 (emphasis intentional)

Fully functioning moderator or scorekeeper (if not qualified above): -$10

Teams coming from more than 150 miles (determined by Google Maps): -$10

(A quick note of explanation on the Act 153 discount. The state of Pennsylvania enacted a law last year requiring third parties who work with children in schools to have basic background checks, etc. DV is requiring us to have one such person in each game room, so we're passing these savings on to you. We also certainly want the best PA teams to come, and we hope this will be a major inducement.)

As a fundraiser for another group (and for logistical simplicity), we will offer a pizza lunch for sale on site. We are also working on a discount at a local hotel for those of you who need to stay over. More on these as they're worked out.

If you live in the greater NYC area (or anywhere near the tournament site), we'd love to have you volunteer. This is only two or three miles from the Port Jervis station on Metro-North, so this is accessible by transit (albeit a very long way). Just shoot me an email.

We will also do an email invite for this event. I will be the point of contact for this event, so do not hesitate to email me at [email protected] if you want to sign up or if you have questions or comments. We look forward to seeing you in the beautiful Delaware River valley in October!
Paul Nelson
Cuba (MO) High School ('98)
B.A.--Missouri S&T/UMR ('02)
NAQT writer/Missouri organizer (2004-'10)
President emeritus, Missouri Quizbowl Alliance
Working western New York tournaments ('13-?)
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Re: Tri-State Tussle at Delaware Valley HS (Matamoras, PA) 1

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

Columbia University will be hosting a tournament on this day, so in the interest of the fields of both tournaments, it might be better for this tournament to focus on Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey teams, and for Columbia's tournament to focus on New York and northern New Jersey teams.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
Maury Island incident
Wakka

Post by Maury Island incident »

Wilmington Charter has claimed that date, as well, which would siphon Pennsylvania teams. Three tournaments in that corridor probably can't coexist.
Colin Cantwell
Lexington '17
UVA '21
Monstruos de Bolsillo
Wakka

Post by Monstruos de Bolsillo »

I don't think very many PA teams would go to Delaware Valley anyway, at least not the southeastern ones. I go to Henderson in PA, which is about 35 minutes away from Charter, and almost 3 hrs. away from Matamoras, PA. Many of the more active PA schools are in the greater Philly area, meaning Charter would be a lot closer. I would think that pretty much every team from southeastern PA would go to Charter. I don't know much about the Northeast PA, but I don't believe it is as active, so it would depend on outreach to other local schools to go to Delaware Valley. Of course, with the Columbia tournament drawing teams from New Jersey, this has the potential to conflict as well. Another thing to consider would be the set. I believe Charter and Columbia are using BASK, and Delaware Valley is using an IS-set. I guess that could change a few peoples' minds, depending on which set they want to play. I don't know how many teams that are south of Delaware Charter will draw, as DC metro teams would go to VCU Fall.

Is it possible to move one of the tournaments either a week earlier or later? I think Maryland is hosting on the 10th, and Hopkins has a novice tournament on the 24th.
Alex Sankaran
West Chester '17-'21
Henderson (PA) '12-'16
Everything in the Whole Wide World
Wakka

Post by Everything in the Whole Wide World »

1) According to here and here, this tournament was announced before the BASK set was even announced. It's not like Columbia and Charter did not know that this was going to happen.

2) There is plenty of room for the three tournaments to co-exist, so long as Delaware Valley, Columbia, and Charter all co-operate and advertise to different schools. Columbia could take Metro NY, New England, and North Jersey, Delaware Valley could take Upstate New York and target a bunch of new teams in Northeastern PA like this TV show that just switched to NAQT and teams in the Lehigh Valley, and Charter could go after schools in Delaware, Maryland, and the parts of Pennsylvania nearest to them. There is still plenty of reason for these guys to run their tournament, even if it's a small one with a non-elite field.
Ben Herman
Henderson High School (2007-2011) [West Chester, PA]
University of Delaware (2011-2015)
Penn State University (2015-Present)
Co-Founder and Director, Greater Pennsylvania Quizbowl Resource
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Imagine that! Teams might actually have to do outreach in the Mid-Atlantic corridor instead of counting on people driving 3+ hours from various quizbowl hotbeds to fill their tournaments with no effort at all!

There is going to be a very concerted outreach effort to get schools from the Lehigh Valley through State College through Scranton and on up into the MasterMinds parts of NY to DV's tournament.

Columbia can certainly get 36 teams from all of Long Island, New York City, Connecticut, and Northeastern NJ (and I think with Ben's efforts they will). Charter can certainly get 36 teams from SEPA, South-Central PA, South NJ, DE, and MD, but this may require more than BCCing a bunch of emails to a bunch of outdated contacts.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure DV had the date claim in before the other schools.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
penforprez
Lulu

Post by penforprez »

In our defense, we were not aware of the confirmed dates of the other tournaments. My sources had not indicated that, and I apologize for any confusion.

Much of our promotion was going to be internal to teams in the area and upstate NY, and we certainly have no intention of running a massive tournament. I was putting an announcement out here in case anyone else wanted to come. Our field size may well be constrained by the staffing requirement DV is placing on us.

I agree that a compromise is possible, and I certainly don't want to step on any toes. Ben, let me email you.
Paul Nelson
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

Beatlefan11 wrote:There is plenty of room for the three tournaments to co-exist, so long as Delaware Valley, Columbia, and Charter all co-operate and advertise to different schools. Columbia could take Metro NY, New England, and North Jersey, Delaware Valley could take Upstate New York and target a bunch of new teams in Northeastern PA like this TV show that just switched to NAQT and teams in the Lehigh Valley, and Charter could go after schools in Delaware, Maryland, and the parts of Pennsylvania nearest to them.
vig180 wrote:Columbia can certainly get 36 teams from all of Long Island, New York City, Connecticut, and Northeastern NJ (and I think with Ben's efforts they will). Charter can certainly get 36 teams from SEPA, South-Central PA, South NJ, DE, and MD, but this may require more than BCCing a bunch of emails to a bunch of outdated contacts.
These were pretty much exactly the ideas I had in mind when setting up the BASK mirrors on this date. Charter promised to primarily draw from DC, Maryland, and Delaware, so I OK'd the mirror on those grounds. I was aware of the DV tournament when I scheduled the Columbia and Charter tournaments, thinking that it would attract Pennsylvania and northern NY teams only. Columbia tends to draw exclusively from NYC/LI/northern NJ, so I didn't see a problem. My sources had stated that DC teams don't tend to go to Richmond, and if VCU can't run a decently sized tournament in a state where hundreds of teams play quizbowl (albeit in the form of VHSL), we have a much bigger problem on our hands.
vig180 wrote:Imagine that! Teams might actually have to do outreach in the Mid-Atlantic corridor instead of counting on people driving 3+ hours from various quizbowl hotbeds to fill their tournaments with no effort at all!
The string of BASK mirrors I'm planning along the Eastern seaboard - New England, Columbia, Charter, VCU, UNC, and Chattahoochee - are based on this sentiment. If there's coordination, there's no reason why each of these tournaments shouldn't have a very large and healthy field. In addition, I was hoping to encourage hosts to do more local outreach through the closely packed mirrors; that would significantly benefit the fields of some of these tournaments, but I tried to make sure that a lack of such outreach would still result in a runnable tournament.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock
Wakka

Post by Gen. Winfield Scott Hancock »

I can confirm that Lehigh Valley outreach efforts will include marketing this tournament to teams, most of which would be pyramidal debutantes if they decide to come.
Ryan Bilger
Emmaus '15, Gettysburg '19, West Virginia '21
National Park Service

"I never saved anything for the swim back." - Vincent Freeman, Gattaca
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Generating Steam Heat wrote:Wilmington Charter has claimed that date, as well, which would siphon Pennsylvania teams. Three tournaments in that corridor probably can't coexist.
Looking at the last time Charter hosted a tournament, the only teams that they would be losing, based on proximity, would be Kellenberg and East Brunswick, both of which would probably go to Columbia anyway. I think they'll be fine.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
penforprez
Lulu

Post by penforprez »

I have also emailed Wilmington Charter to make sure they're OK with everything. One of my fundamental quizbowl rules is full honesty and disclosure, and I definitely want to make sure everyone is on board.
Paul Nelson
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Post by The Polebarn Hotel »

What set is this using?
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

IS #148.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
penforprez
Lulu

Post by penforprez »

Obligatory field update (as of October 14):

Darien (CT): 3 teams
Manheim Township (PA): 2 teams
Wallenpaupack (PA): 1 team
Lakeland (PA): 2 teams
Ithaca (NY): 3 teams
Delaware Valley (PA): 2 teams
Moravian Academy (PA): 1 team
Northmont (OH): 1 team
Wyoming Area A (PA): 1 team
Last edited by penforprez on Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:50 am, edited 13 times in total.
Paul Nelson
penforprez
Lulu

Post by penforprez »

In other news, our tournament has been certified as a PACE platinum qualifier, so 25% of the field will qualify for PACE NSC in Chicago in June of 2016.

As a reminder, since we are using an NAQT set (specifically IS-148), the top 15% of the field inclusive does qualify for NAQT's HSNCT in Dallas in May of 2016, plus SSNCT qualification for the top small schools.
Paul Nelson
penforprez
Lulu

Post by penforprez »

Field update just posted.
Paul Nelson
Ithaca Cricket Ump
Wakka

Post by Ithaca Cricket Ump »

Ithaca A defeated Darien A 365-320 in a cross-championship bracket final to win the tournament. Both teams finished 10-1. Delaware Valley A defeated Mnheim Township A for third place.
Scott M. Blish
Cheval, FL
Cornell 1990-92, 1997
Tournament Director, BrainBusters Fall
HSNCT moderator 2012-, MSNCT 2013-, SSNCT 2014-, PACE NSC 2013-, NHBB Nationals 2014-
penforprez
Lulu

Post by penforprez »

Some quick results from Delaware Valley. 16-team field with two championship brackets; the winner of each bracket went to a one-game final and the two second-place teams went to a third-place game for the last HSNCT slot.

The fInal was a classic Saturday afternoon quizbowl barnburner: Ithaca A 365, Darien A 320. Michael Borecki from Darien finished as the top prelim scorer at 107.14 PPG.

In the third place game, the home team of Delaware Valley A scored eight powers (five by Drake Eshleman) to defeat Manheim A (who gets the last PACE berth). Score was 450-200.

A good day in beautiful northeastern Pennsylvania. Many thanks to the teams that came and our staffers for the strong efforts they put in today. Many thanks also go to the DV administration for their support of this project and DV's coach Kevin DeVizia for being the awesome guy he is!
Paul Nelson
Everything in the Whole Wide World
Wakka

Post by Everything in the Whole Wide World »

Any notion about when stats will be available? Would be very helpful for coverage of the tournament at the Greater Pennsylvania Quizbowl Resource. Thanks!
Ben Herman
Henderson High School (2007-2011) [West Chester, PA]
University of Delaware (2011-2015)
Penn State University (2015-Present)
Co-Founder and Director, Greater Pennsylvania Quizbowl Resource
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Post by The Polebarn Hotel »

Any update on stats?
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
penforprez
Lulu

Post by penforprez »

Sorry for the delay on stats. Life (and severe exhaustion) kind of caught up with me after Saturday. Stats are now posted.

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/
Paul Nelson
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

It looks like you mistakenly uploaded _games.html as the team detail page for the playoff stats.
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15
penforprez
Lulu

Post by penforprez »

Ndg wrote:It looks like you mistakenly uploaded _games.html as the team detail page for the playoff stats.
Oops! Thanks for the heads up! Fixed. :)
Paul Nelson