Samuel L. Bronkowitz presents Chicago Open (07/18-19/15)

Old college threads.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Re: Samuel L. Bronkowitz presents Chicago Open (07/18-19/15)

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Ndg wrote:Any advice on parking, for those of us who've never been here before?
last year, I wrote:Unless something has drastically changed, parking along 59th Street (the one which runs past Harper) is free, and it's a very short walk from there to Cobb.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I'll post a longer update later, but people have been asking about Saturday start times. So: I'd like everyone to be there by 8:30 AM on Saturday so we can start at 9 sharp. If all goes well, we'll do six or seven rounds before lunch, break for just about an hour, and then resume. If you're staffing, I'll be sending you an email asking for your food preferences.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Hi everyone,

This post should serve as the "official" logistics plan for CO. The tournament is being held at Cobb Hall. I ask that everyone be in place by 8:30. That means be at Cobb, with the money you owe, and checked in with myself or Eric. We have potentially TWENTY DAMN ROUNDS for you to get through, so we need this thing to start in a timely fashion. Rounds will start at 9 AM sharp. We'll probably go for 7 rounds, break for a brief lunch, then plow right on through to the end. Don't forget to bring a buzzer if you have one! Also, we're going to keep lunch on the short side, potentially as short as 45 minutes depending on how we're doing, but in any case not longer than an hour. That means you should plan ahead to figure out what and where you'll eat; the 57th St. restaurants are a 10 minute walk away so there's no excuse to not get there and back with food in the time-frame allotted. Again, we'll start without you if necessary.

We have 17 teams and the schedule is a full-on round robin. At the moment, I believe we have exactly the same number of moderators as rooms; as usual, teams are welcome to read their packets when they are on bye, provided this doesn't interfere with an already ongoing match, etc. If you're not reading, we'd really appreciate it if you could drop in on the slower rooms, whichever those are, to scorekeep. We'll be following standard ACF conventions with regard to the final standings, as follows in roughly ascending order of complexity:

1) One team 2 games clear -> outright champion
2) One team 1 game up, no ties for second place -> advantaged final
3) One team 1 game up, tie for second place -> play-in game between tied teams, followed by advantaged final
4) Two teams tied at the top -> one-game final
5) Three teams tied at the top -> play-in game between bottom two teams by PPG, followed by one-game final between top team by PPG
6) Four teams tied at the top -> semi-final-type playoff between 1 vs. 4 seed and 2 vs. 3 seed, as determined by PPG, followed by one-game final between semifinal winners
7) Five teams somehow tied at the top -> I explode in a shower of guts and candy

There are various degenerate situations for which we do not have enough packets to break all ties via game. For example, if a team is one game up on the field and there's a three-way tie for second, we don't have enough blind packets to break the three-way tie on matches and also to play the advantaged final. In such a case, the top two teams from that tie will be selected by PPG (because everyone plays the same opponents) and we'll revert to structure #3. Likewise, an unlikely but I believe mathematically possible five-way tie will revert to the four-way case with the bottom team by PPG being dropped. Hopefully this all makes sense; if I'm missing something, please let me know. As is standard, only those ties that can possibly affect the overall winner will be broken.

Protests will be handled in the usual way, i.e. there will be a protest sheet for the moderators, you'll fill it out and bring it to control, and they'll let the editors know. Don't wait for protest resolution to happen before moving on to your next round, we'll let you know what the result is. Protests will be resolved only if they affect match outcomes. If there's a tie after 20, you'll be read one tiebreaker tossup; if it goes dead, the game is tied.

If you have any questions about the tournament, please don't hesitate to contact me either by email at [email protected] or by phone/text at 858-882-7899. I look forward to seeing all of you there.
Jerry Vinokurov
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I e-mailed Jerry about this, but the spreadsheet listing teams and amount owed is off for a few teams now. It claims, for example, our team submitted a packet not until July 6, which is way wrong, and that Carsten's team submitted in May which is also wrong.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Cheynem wrote:I e-mailed Jerry about this, but the spreadsheet listing teams and amount owed is off for a few teams now. It claims, for example, our team submitted a packet not until July 6, which is way wrong, and that Carsten's team submitted in May which is also wrong.
Yeah, sorry about that. We'll be working to correct it before the tournament.
Jerry Vinokurov
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

We had a last minute drop, so anyone who wants to play CO for free is welcome to join us. Feel free to call me at 636-219-1660 or email me at [email protected] if you're interested, though it's also fine if you just join us tomorrow morning.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Congratulations to Sustainable Ibex Farming (Auroni Gupta, Matt Bollinger, Matt Jackson, and Tommy Casalaspi) on their victory in the 2015 Chicago Open! SFI ran the table against a tough field (and some tough packets) and cleared everyone by two games, obviating the need for a final. In addition, the Matts finished as the number 2 and 3 scorers at the tournament. There will be a thanks/discussion thread at some point in the next day or two once I recover.
Jerry Vinokurov
Aaron's Rod
Sec. of Cursed Images, Chicago SJW Cabal

Post by Aaron's Rod »

If somebody happened to pick up my red water bottle (or knows its fate), please let me know; I'm still in town for the afternoon.
Alex D.
ACF
http://tinyurl.com/qbmisconduct

"You operate at a shorter wavelength and higher frequency than most human beings." —Victor Prieto
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

Aaron's Rod wrote:If somebody happened to pick up my red water bottle (or knows its fate), please let me know; I'm still in town for the afternoon.
It's in the control room.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

so much depends
upon

a red water
bottle

glazed with faint
toothmarks

beside the white
buzzers.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

There are three packets unread from this tournament. We will be reading them at mirrors of VCU open, live. After that point, if people want to hear them on the IRC, I would be pleased to read them.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Since it's traditional for the outgoing CO editors to choose their successors, consider this a call for editing CO next year. If you're interested, email me at [email protected].
Jerry Vinokurov
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

You can also watch all the videos I recorded of the rounds in one playlist.
Jerry Vinokurov
Camille Palkia
Lulu

Post by Camille Palkia »

Hey, I quite liked this set. Point of no interest - my statline in the last match is actually the one that was assigned to Athena. I don't know if we just got swapped or if there are other mistakes. Attention must be paid!
Foster Hughes
(Former) University of Minnesota, in hiding
cool dude
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

S.P.A.C.E. wrote:Hey, I quite liked this set. Point of no interest - my statline in the last match is actually the one that was assigned to Athena. I don't know if we just got swapped or if there are other mistakes. Attention must be paid!
Sorry if I screwed that up. (If I remember correctly, your match's scoresheet was the very last one to come back, and we were all eager to go home, so I entered it really fast.) Jerry has the scoresheets now, so I can't double-check, but if he can be in touch with me about what he finds on the scoresheet, I'm happy to update the stats.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Camille Palkia
Lulu

Post by Camille Palkia »

jonah wrote:
S.P.A.C.E. wrote:Hey, I quite liked this set. Point of no interest - my statline in the last match is actually the one that was assigned to Athena. I don't know if we just got swapped or if there are other mistakes. Attention must be paid!
Sorry if I screwed that up. (If I remember correctly, your match's scoresheet was the very last one to come back, and we were all eager to go home, so I entered it really fast.) Jerry has the scoresheets now, so I can't double-check, but if he can be in touch with me about what he finds on the scoresheet, I'm happy to update the stats.
I mean, I definitely answered TUs 3, 4, and 16, and negged TU 5. But Jerry can confirm with the sheets.
Foster Hughes
(Former) University of Minnesota, in hiding
cool dude
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

S.P.A.C.E. wrote:
jonah wrote:
I mean, I definitely answered TUs 3, 4, and 16, and negged TU 5. But Jerry can confirm with the sheets.
Just checked the scoresheet, this is correct.
Jerry Vinokurov