2015 ICT survey results

Old college threads.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2015 ICT survey results

Post by Important Bird Area »

naqt.com wrote:This survey gathered feedback from players and coaches about NAQT’s 2015 Intercollegiate Championship Tournament. There were 211 responses.
full results
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
jonpin
Auron

Re: 2015 ICT survey results

Post by jonpin »

The immediate takeaway I have from this survey is that people should stop trolling surveys.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Re: 2015 ICT survey results

Post by bradleykirksey »

Jon, I'm not entirely sure what the concern is. Obviously, the couple of people who said that the field should average 2 PPB or that the bottom 4 teams should get 30 PPB are trolls, but that wasn't enough to really mess with the results, was it? There seems to be a pretty strong belief that the bottom teams should be at 8-10PPB, the field should be at 15-20PPB and that the top teams should be at 20-25, regardless of a few trolls.

Also, I thought it was pretty funny that they asked "Should a team ever be declared ICT Division I or II champion outright (that is, without a final or advantaged final)?

No, never
Yes, when a team clears the field by 2 games
Yes, when a team clears by 3 games
No opinion"

right before making Maryland and Yale play off for undergrad even though they were in different brackets. I wonder if including that an an option might take away a few of the "never" or "no opinion" votes lol.

Anyways, thanks for posting this. It was an interesting read.
Bradley Kirksey
Mayor of quiz bowl at the University of Central Florida (2010-2015)
The club at Reformed Theology Seminary Orlando (2017 - 2021)