GSMST Season Ender (Potatoville), 4/25/15, Lawrenceville, GA

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
ndikkala
Lulu

GSMST Season Ender (Potatoville), 4/25/15, Lawrenceville, GA

Post by ndikkala »

The Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science, and Technology will be hosting its first Quizbowl Tournament, the GSMST Invitational Scholar’s Bowl Tournament*, on April 25, 2015. We will be mirroring the Potatoville Tournament written by students of Northern Illinois University. This set is a regular difficulty set, comparable to GSAC. The initial field cap for the tournament is eighteen teams. Up to five players can compete on a single team.

Location: GSMST is located at 970 McElvaney Lane, Lawrenceville, GA 30044

In terms of timing, the tournament will run from 8:30-5:00, with registration beginning at 8.
The format for the tournament is a divisioned round robin, which will be followed for both the prelim and the playoff rounds. Our goal is to offer at least ten rounds of play to each team, provided the field is full and teams are present for the entire tournament. Therefore, please plan on staying for the entire tournament if you choose to register. We hope this option will provide a strong value to attending teams.

Since this is our first tournament, we will not be offering lunch; however, there are a large number of fast food eateries within walking distance of the school. These include a number of vegetarian options such as Subway, Quiznos, and Taco Bell, among others. We will also be selling baked goods/refreshments during the tournament.

The cost for the tournament is $70 for the first team, $65 for the 2nd team, and $60 for any additional teams a school may want to bring. There is a $5 discount for bringing in a working buzzer system (limit 2). There is a $5 discount for bringing a worker, preferably a reader. The minimum fee for a single team is $50. The fee for out of state schools is a flat $50 (no further discounts).

Please fill out the registration form here if you are interested, and you will be notified of updates.
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1btS9ur ... 4/viewform
*Name subject to change

Please PM me or send me an email at [email protected] if you have any questions.

For additional information about the Potatoville set: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... 09&t=16426
Tournaments that have used Potatoville this year:
TUPAC: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/2821/
Kaneland: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/2642/
Field Update 4/24
[14/18 teams]
(Teams/Buzzers/Workers)
Grayson High School(2/1/0)
Northwest Whitfield High School (1/1/1)
Sutton Middle School (2/2/0)
Apalachee High School (1/1/1)
Walton High School (1/1/0)
Marist School (2/0/0)
Peachtree Ridge High School (2/0/0)
Roswell High School (1/1/0)
Northgate High School (1/1/0)
Newton High School (1/0/0)
Attachments
GSMST Tournament Invitation Compressed.pdf
(249.84 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
Last edited by ndikkala on Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:57 am, edited 19 times in total.
GSMST '15
Communications Officer
ndikkala
Lulu

Re: GSMST Season Ender (Potatoville), 4/25/15, Lawrenceville

Post by ndikkala »

With a month and a half to go until the tournament, we have one team signed up. Please register for the tournament if you are interested in playing the set! This is the only Potatoville mirror being hosted in the SE U.S. and we'd love to see teams from neighboring states compete as well! Please check out the updated information post which now has a printable/downloadable registration form and cost information.
GSMST '15
Communications Officer
ndikkala
Lulu

Post by ndikkala »

Today I am pleased to announce that GSMST Season Ender is now a PACE NSC Qualifying Tournament! The top 15% of the field will qualify for the PACE NSC Championship in the Washington, DC. Metro area this June. There are still a lot of spots available, so please consider signing up!
GSMST '15
Communications Officer
ndikkala
Lulu

Post by ndikkala »

We are now up to 5 signups, and are discussing information with a potential 6th team. Please continue signing up for the tournament and thank you to the teams who have signed up so far!
GSMST '15
Communications Officer
ndikkala
Lulu

Post by ndikkala »

Today I am pleased to announce that GSMST Season Ender has been Platinum Certified by PACE, meaning that the top 25% of teams will qualify for the PACE NSC in the D.C. Metro area this June! I would like to invite any interested teams to sign up using the Google Forms link above. Also, to clarify: I have gotten many, many emails from coaches asking if this is a middle school tournament, and to answer these questions, this tournament is primarily a high school tournament, though middle schools are permitted to compete. Of course, there are numerous PACE qualifying tournaments that have occurred in the past that have middle schools and high schools, so we are allowing middle schools, but this is a tournament mainly for high school teams.
GSMST '15
Communications Officer
ndikkala
Lulu

Post by ndikkala »

In the interest of maintaining a balance towards high school teams, I am capping the number of middle school teams to a maximum of 9 under our current 18 team field cap, and I may need to lower this number as we get closer to the tournament if we do not have an equal or greater number of high school teams signed up. Please understand, this is so we can continue to meet the guidelines for a PACE Platinum tournament.
GSMST '15
Communications Officer
ndikkala
Lulu

Post by ndikkala »

The field has just been updated as of 4/12, and there are still spots available if any teams want to register. Please consider signing up for the tournament!
GSMST '15
Communications Officer
ndikkala
Lulu

Post by ndikkala »

There are just four spots left now until we hit our initial field cap. Please continue signing up and thanks to those teams who have already registered!
GSMST '15
Communications Officer
ndikkala
Lulu

Post by ndikkala »

Field update going into the weekend: there are four officially "open" spots, and there remain two "interested" teams on the list. Assuming the interested teams register, we will only have 2 open spots. There's still time left to sign up if you would like to compete!
GSMST '15
Communications Officer
ndikkala
Lulu

Post by ndikkala »

I've updated the field and we still have space available. I should have an update within a day, but one of the teams is considering backing out, in which case we would have two spots open. Please contact me if you are interested in attending, as there is still time to register.
GSMST '15
Communications Officer
ndikkala
Lulu

Post by ndikkala »

We have had several teams drop at the last minute and now are in need of extra teams to help fill the field. At least five spots are open. If you are interested, it is only $30 per team. This offer is only valid to teams that have not registered before and you must register by 11PM tonight on the Google form or send me an email. Please try and bring a buzzer set if possible.
GSMST '15
Communications Officer
ndikkala
Lulu

Post by ndikkala »

Thank you to all the teams who came out on Saturday, especially with the rain! Also we appreciate the patience of the teams who stayed through the entirety of the playoffs as requested from the beginning, while we dealt with fixing brackets after teams started leaving without notifying us.
Final Standings:
1. Flowery Branch
2. Marist A
3. Sutton MS A
4. Roswell
GSMST '15
Communications Officer