Tricon: The Next Generation

Old college threads.
Cheynem
Sin

Tricon: The Next Generation

Post by Cheynem »

So the docket for VCU Open side events is filling fast, but I thought I'd throw in my intention to spearhead another iteration of Tricon, although with a hopefully more creative and palatable distribution. As with other sets, it will be a 30 tossup hybrid event, but instead of being bound by "failed/unwritten side events," it basically will just be my attempt at mixing my own quixotic tastes with ideas from the masses and creative ideas of yore.

To answer a few questions:

1. Can this actually run at VCUO with the busy slate? Well, i hope so. This is going to be a guerrilla set that I think is best played as an informal shootout of whimsy. The number of packets depends on how many people submit packets (I'll pledge to write at least...three). The individual sites can probably choose to do what thou will with them, but I think it's hopefully a fun, entertaining, light-hearted hybrid event that can be a capper on a busy weekend. If it doesn't successfully run here, the remaining packets can, of course, be played online.

2. What will the distribution be? Well, I have ideas for it, and I bet you to do too. So before I formally post the distribution after Nats, I will invite the HSQB Universe to weigh in in on this decision by either privately suggesting me things or posting them here. I offer no guarantees I will actually use any of the suggestions, particularly if they are way too niche or unimaginative. Note we are looking for creative ideas that allow for diverse yet accessible answerlines. I will consult with a blue ribbon panel before posting the distro so it's just completely my tastes. I will probably be leaning towards more of the trash/goofy academic side than straight-up super hard academic questions this iteration though (looking at you, Mrs. Gupta).

Please post ideas or I guess let me know if you're just not interested in this.

EDIT:

Just so people don't misinterpret me, I am not "demanding" that this be run at VCU Open. I am announcing it as something I'd like to do, if there's time at VCUO, and if not, online or at other informal gatherings.

DOUBLE EDIT:

This Tricon version will decidedly look much more like the "Mike Cheyne Memorial Battle Royal" set from last year, i.e.--shorter questions, hopefully more accessible questions, a more amusing and easier to write distribution, and less opportunities to show off academically.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
RexSueciae
Tidus

Re: Tricon: The Next Generation

Post by RexSueciae »

Going off the previous Tricon distributions, I'd very much like to see Byzantine and medieval Slavic history make a recurrence, plus trash music and "post-World War II science fiction, children's, or pulp literature." (And poetry, if possible.)

Having run out of ideas, I then turned to a random noun generator which returned the following output:
Calf
Command
Knife
Mist
Parsnip
Produce
Relish
Shadow
Spleen
Water
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I will safely say that Byzantine and Slavic history will not appear this iteration.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

This is the sixth side event proposed in 72 hours, people! Seriously, let's take a breather and consider reining some of these events in, making more of them 100-150 question shootouts, or pushing them to side events at future open(s) during the 2015-16 year or summer 2016.

I don't really get what was supposed to be so appealing about Tricon. Speaking personally I wasn't really convinced that even the "good" packets were particularly different from more standard hard quizbowl fare in a way that is especially worth saving/ worth making into A Yearly Institution rather than "eh it was kinda fun the first 2.5 times". I probably wouldn't sign up for this iteration especially if it's going to have more trash.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'm certainly willing to move the event online, but I think we can support more side events than last year due to only being one tournament. I haven't checked to see how many of the other events were tossup only, but this one certainly would be and thus would be easily run as a "shootout."

I mean I understand that not everyone was into Tricon, but I had several people request that it be kept going and that a slightly more trash focused side event appear on the docket, so i think this fits the bill. If anything it could simply be run like the Mike Cheyne Memorial tournament from last year, which mostly ran informally and online.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

It's fun and, when people take it in the right spirit, encourages clever or interesting writing, and does so in a non-serious setting. The best part of the packet instructions being "a list of weird categories" is that constraints like that can really inspire creativity. What's not to "get"?
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Further, summer's the best time for a flood of side events, when outside commitments are relatively low and people have more time to travel and/or hang out and read questions over a weekend. Let a hundred wacky packets bloom.
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Auks Ran Ova wrote:Further, summer's the best time for a flood of side events, when outside commitments are relatively low and people have more time to travel and/or hang out and read questions over a weekend. Let a hundred wacky packets bloom.
This is all well and good, but there are some hard limits on what can be played in a single weekend. I know part of the tension that arose during the last VCU Open main site weekend arose due to the attempt to fit five tournaments into two days, even when two of them were shootouts. I just urge some awareness that the crankiness of prospective players rises as the number of different events also rises (and some advance commitment to assuring that teams are formed and the order of events is determined so people know how to make travel plans). If people want this event really badly I won't stop it or anything, but so long as some of the decisions about which events get run where are a function of popular opinion it seemed worthwhile to get my small share in public opinion out there.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Auks Ran Ova

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

It's certainly true that people shouldn't rush to overcrowd big travel weekends - but a lot of this stuff (especially this very tournament) is pretty casual and can be played in a decentralized fashion, on the internet or with local groups of people at many places or whatever. I do join you in encouraging people to be realistic about how much stuff can be fit into a weekend--if you really want your side event to be "the true test of what the best of quizbowl knows about [subject]", then you have to get in early and claim a slot at a major tournament; otherwise, don't worry so much and just write some fun questions for people to play wherever.

Also, regarding travel plans, my advice has always been and will always be "travel Monday or deal with it".
Rob Carson
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Again, just so I don't annoy cranky people or Matt Jackson, let me be clear that I do not intend this to be a side event that kicks any more deserving side events out of contention at VCU Open (i edited this intention into my first post).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

If this runs again, can we have some firm limits for difficulty so that nobody writes packets where most things go until the end (or dead)? Writing whimsical questions is great, but not when there's 13 lines and then a buzzer race.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Yes, there will be difficulty and line limits.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Tejas
Rikku

Post by Tejas »

I'd definitely like to see this, especially if it's closer to the MCMBR format than to last year's Tricon.
Tejas Raje
Cornell '14
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

I'd be very pleased to see this happen, but I suggest capping the packets at less than 30 questions, even.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Lightinfa
Wakka

Post by Lightinfa »

I too support this happening again.
JR Roach
Maggie Walker, 2011
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

I, in the other thread, wrote: Yeah, I think I would enjoy this side event much more if I were playing it in a more leisurely setting rather rather than during a long weekend of quizbowl. Would pay a premium to play this on skype.
Same as above. I'd like to actually play Tricon once. But I probably won't enjoy it if more than 15% of the questions are trash, so please don't do that.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

I'll play if there's some way to avoid the Cody Voight Abortion that happened last year.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

I'd gladly play more of Cody Voight's glorious questions
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Amizda Calyx
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Amizda Calyx »

I thought i had posted in here before, but i guess it didn't go through. I'd enjoy another one of these, if only to insert more Animorphs content into things. Also, if we're still suggesting categories, it would be fun to have a '90s to early '00s Nickelodeon distribution, with maybe a chronological exception for Avatar.
Joelle Smart
Ellensburg High School, 2006–10
University of Washington, 2010–14
Rutgers University, 2015–20??
PACE
HSAPQ biology editor, 2014–2017

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

I'd play another one of these, especially one with a higher whimsy content.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Only if it's basically MCMBR again.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
The Time Keeper
Auron

Post by The Time Keeper »

Black Miao wrote:I'd gladly play more of Cody Voight's glorious questions
Cody's clown packet all day. Seriously.
Pat Freeburn - No particular affiliation.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Here is the distribution. Because this will be played at Minnesota as part of Trash Day, it has more of a trash bent to it. And more of a personal bent to it. Because I'm the baby, gotta love me!

So I guess you suckers at the VCU site actually wish to play this, so you better write packets for it and send them to me before the tournament.

It doesn't seem like Michigan wants to play this (wise move), so that's why it will be played as per tradition in the fall in Minnesota at Trash Day, to be paired with Erik Nelson's event and anything else.

DISTRIBUTION (30 tossups--these should be SHORT, like no more than 5-6 lines)

1. A tossup about parodies/homages of something more famous
2. A tossup on James Bond
3. A tossup on a famous murder/assassination
4. A tossup about conspiracy theories
5. A tossup on classical music using NO SCORE clues
6. A tossup on "movie music" however you define it
7. A tossup about film that is entirely common link (i.e., cannot use name of film, actor, director as answerline)
8. A tossup related to TV theme songs
9. A tossup related to 8 or 16 bit video games
10. A tossup that you think I might have written for College History Bowl
11. A tossup related to The Simpsons
12. A tossup that uses a professional wrestling clue but is not actually about wrestling
13. A tossup related to Star Trek
14. A tossup related to Saturday Night Live
15. A tossup on a famous music video (should try and actually be about the video)
16. A tossup related to Alfred Hitchcock
17. A tossup that uses some clue from Animaniacs (try and make it not actually ON Animaniacs)
18. A tossup related to Seinfeld
19. A tossup related to commercials
20. A tossup related to actor Al Pacino
21. A tossup that is about an attribute of something like "Henry Ford's racism" or "Cody Voight's love of hotdogs"
22. A tossup related to indiana Jones
23. A tossup that mocks Canada
24. A tossup about Broadway musicals
25. A tossup on something that was a random hard part in a packet you found somewhere
26. A tossup related to Scooby Doo
27. A tossup related to The Twilight Zone
28. A tossup that is on any topic you want but at some point you have to put in a clue about "Old Yeller"
29. A tossup related to Richard Nixon
30. A tossup on science history that CANNOT actually use any science clues

Be creative. Send me the packets at some point. I'll write one, maybe more, depending if I want to. If you don't play this in person, I will read them online. HI-FUCKIN-YA!
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

In order to add some mystery to this, here is a new wrinkle:

You can choose NOT to write any one of the categories and instead write on this (or write on everything and designate this tossup 0): "an academically important or relevant fact that isn't a named thing, such as 'the withdrawal of Roman elites from public life' or 'the fact that Christmas is an economic dead-weight loss.'" This sounds confusing, and it is, which is why it's fun.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

RexSueciae
Tidus

Post by RexSueciae »

Are there the same requirements for adding powers/superpowers to all questions, or has that requirement been waived?
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

You can if you want. Who am I to judge?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

Cheynem wrote: 23. A tossup that mocks Canada
As something that my HSQB username is all about, I'm looking forward to this.
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Black Miao wrote:I'd gladly play more of Cody Voight's glorious questions
I would also like to do that.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
RexSueciae
Tidus

Post by RexSueciae »

Out of curiosity, how many packets have been completed for this event? Right now, the answer should be "more than one," because I just emailed mine.
Vasa Clarke

Maggie Walker '14
Virginia '18
William and Mary '21
adosreme
Rikku

Post by adosreme »

RexSueciae wrote:Out of curiosity, how many packets have been completed for this event? Right now, the answer should be "more than one," because I just emailed mine.
I'm 22/30 of the way done, so hopefully I should have one sent in soon.
Aaron Dos Remedios
Formerly of the Waterloo School of Abstruse Canadian Inside Jokes (University of Waterloo)
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Here's the packet list to be updated.

PACKETS
1. Vasa Clarke
2. Mike Cheyne
3. Anonymous
4. Will Nediger and Saul Hankin
5. Aaron Dos Remedios
6. Mike Cheyne again
7. Erik Nelson and Dirty Dylan Minark
8. Jigesh Korona
9. Eric Douglass (partial packet)
10. Mahir Morshed and James Zetterman

I have not looked at any of the packets because I wish to play them, so be warned that quality and content cannot be guaranteed.

I'll write at least 1, probably 2, packets. I know there are at least two other packets "pending," so we could get at least 5 packets, I think, maybe more if others write stuff.

I will wait until the Friday night before the first running of VCUO and then send them out to any sites that express interest in having them.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

I might write one. Have to see how the next few weeks shape up.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I'll write one, but won't get it in until late before VCUO.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Harpie's Feather Duster

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

I would be willing to collaborate with some people on one of these.
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
mahir256
Lulu

Post by mahir256 »

Although I can't go to Richmond to play the actual tournament (I hope to attend the Wash U mirror of VCU Open instead), I do wonder if James and I can still submit a packet for this.
Mahir Morshed
Illinois '19
Carbondale '15
InvadErGII
Rikku

Post by InvadErGII »

Dylan Minarik and I are working on a packet for this. I anticipate good things from this packet.
Erik Nelson
Director, Minnesota High School Quiz Bowl
President, Play Quiz Bowl LLC
www.bouncebackfoundation.org
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Anybody can submit a packet regardless of what site you're going to (I have no control over what will be read, if any, at what site though--I just pass them on to the TD).
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

A reminder that you should e-mail these to me by next Friday night.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

As of now, there are 7 packets for this that I will be e-mailing to the sites that have asked for it. If any more somehow turn up tomorrow, I will try my best to get them to the sites as well.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Hold off on specific discussion for now; I'll post the set eventually after it gets used up.

I'm not sure what people thought of this set; as usual with a guerrilla type set, you're going to get mixed quality. I thought the better packets mixed craziness with inventiveness and accessibility.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

I was pleasantly surprised at how fun this event was; the writers did a good job taking the wacky distro and making it their own with a good blend of whimsy and playability. Looking forward to hearing a few more of the packets at Trash Day!
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
That DCC guy
Lulu

Post by That DCC guy »

Will their be a online mirror of this??
Austin Foos
Detroit Catholic Central 2015
Michigan State University 2016
University of Michigan 2019
2015 Pace National Champion
2014-2015 Player of the Year
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'll probably read most of the packets after Trash Day (the 22nd of August). Not sure WHEN, but I'll announce it.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

theMoMA wrote:I was pleasantly surprised at how fun this event was; the writers did a good job taking the wacky distro and making it their own with a good blend of whimsy and playability. Looking forward to hearing a few more of the packets at Trash Day!
I had a lot of fun at this tournament too! I only wished I had looked at the distribution before this tournament.

Ike
Ike
UIUC 13
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

The stats for Tricon at Trash Day, which included new packets by Rob and Andrew

Erik Nelson: 490 (played all packets but his own)
Sam Bailey: 440 (played all but 2 or so packets)
Brian Weikle: 390
Mike Cheyne: 230 (played last two packets)
Ben: 225
Peter Estall: 190
Mike K: 155
Arlo Lyle: 150
Rob Carson: 75 (played Andrew's packet)
Steele: 65
Carsten: 35 (played a handful of packets)
Lucas Sun: 35
Nick: 30
Kyle: 5
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

That DCC guy
Lulu

Post by That DCC guy »

When is Tricon being posted for the public?
Austin Foos
Detroit Catholic Central 2015
Michigan State University 2016
University of Michigan 2019
2015 Pace National Champion
2014-2015 Player of the Year
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I have submitted it for approval to quizbowlpackets.com now; I might be doing this wrong though. as I thought I did this last week. It definitely said the packets would appear once approved though.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

Cheynem wrote:I have submitted it for approval to quizbowlpackets.com now; I might be doing this wrong though. as I thought I did this last week. It definitely said the packets would appear once approved though.
Sorry about this - it looks like I ignored the original notification. They're available here.
Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

At least a couple packets (mine and Rob's) are missing from this, it appears.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

They are--I never actually had them in my possession and I forgot to ask.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota