Favorite Quizbowl Experiences

Tell your tales of bygone days and rank historical things here.
felgon123
Lulu

Re: Favorite Quizbowl Experiences

Post by felgon123 »

One of my favorite quizbowl moments that has stuck with me through the years occurred during Chicago Open 2009. (It seems this tournament was one of my most impressive individual performances of my high school career, a fact of which I was not aware until a few minutes ago.) After my team was done with our games, I was spectating the team of the inimitable Jerry, who enacted the following exchange:

Jerry: Cavitation?
Moderator: I need more.
Jerry [slamming fist into desk]: I don't KNOW ANY MORE!!!

I love this little anecdote because I think it encapsulates many fundamental truths about what quizbowl is.

My top two tournaments are the same as Matt's. I will follow his lead in offering no superfluous comments on Cane Ridge Revival, but ICT 2012 was an exhilarating experience, in spite of the fact that I was a vital asset in only one game of the entire tournament. After our nail-biting escape from the yawning abyss of the second bracket, it was Matt's tournament, and it was a privilege to witness. In the prelims, he averaged about 61 PP20TH. In the top bracket PLAYOFFS, he averaged about 85. Naturally, Evan, David, and I were afraid to burden him with our intense awareness of how well he was doing, but I fondly remember our excited murmurs between games whenever Matt had stepped out for a minute: "Holy shit!" "Can you believe this?" "Look at him go!" "If he keeps playing like this, it's not even going to be close!" And it wasn't.
Tommy
UVA '15
Harvard...let's say '23
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

felgon123 wrote:Jerry: Cavitation?
Moderator: I need more.
Jerry [slamming fist into desk]: I don't KNOW ANY MORE!!!
Here was that bonus:
It arises from a fractal structure produced when ultrasonic waves are focused into a cold fluid. FTPE:
[10] Name this phenomenon in which the formation of bubble streams and their adiabatic compression-induced implosion results in unresolved photonic effects linked to sonoluminescence.
ANSWER: acoustic cavitation
[10] Bubbles in an acoustic cavitation field require both lengthy wavelengths and low values of this dimensionless quantity which relates the fluid velocity to the fluid speed of sound to focus energy density enough to produce the temperatures necessary for sonoluminescence.
ANSWER: Mach number, or M
[10] Acoustic bubbles experience these forces arising from the interaction of their local oscillations with the sound field pulsations generated by acoustic waves. They share their name with the threshold of bubble formation in an ultrasonic device, which is named for a Norwegian physicist.
ANSWER: Bjerknes Forces
The best part was it basically said "sound" in the actual bonus, but REQUIRED "acoustic". At least "Bjerknes force" is totally gettable, right
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Ukonvasara wrote:
cvdwightw wrote:
  • Watching Jerry almost get kicked out of a 2006 ICT game for agreeing with Charles about how bad a tossup was
This needs some elaboration!
Coming late to this thread but even I don't remember this. As usual, the quizbowl community remembers my own life better than I do.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

Fat Teenage Love Brigade.

-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
LHDoroschuk
Lulu

Post by LHDoroschuk »

Something today reminded me of a good memory from high school, so I started wondering if this thread existed. Lo and behold it does! I hope you don't mind me sharing some of my favorite moments over my short career, especially since I'm only a freshman in college.

At Dorman one of my teammates was Chase Fleming, who plays for John Hopkins now, and he was known for his incredible balance between ungodly powers and boneheaded negs. My favorite neg of his came in a game at the Collins Hill Season Ender in 2014, we were playing that year's LIST set. It was a tossup on sharks, if I recall, and he buzzes in on the first line and says, with the utmost confidence, "Stegosaur". We made fun of him for that buzz for the rest of the year.

Some Dorman B team memories for you. Our two biggest victories of the year were at the 2013 HSNCT where we defeated Thomas Jefferson, who had beaten us handily twice at the beginning of the year, and then at the NSC that year, we upset the Belvidere North team of Dirty-D Mynarik and his pal Chugsie and later had a great lunch with them. We won that last game on the final tossup by guessing on the Gospel of Mark and maybe 20ing the bonus. A memory that really sticks out in my head for some reason and is the reason I started this post was from the 2013 NSC again. This was my only game against Max Schindler-led Ladue. That game was the laziest 300 point beating I've ever received. It was just weird watching that team essentially take a break and still crush us.

As for A team moments, that's where Stegosaur comes in. My personal favorite events in that year were our two losses against LASA A at Texas Invitational. At the SCT portion of the tournament, Tabitha Walker and I swept history against them, which we thought was impossible, and then at the Regionals portion against them, I first-lined the Shinto Temples tossup, which is to this day my favorite buzz I've ever had.

As for college, so far we've only been to ACF Fall, which was really fun. My best moment from that tournament was answering the Master and Margarita bonus part on a guess because I own the book (but haven't read it) and there's a black cat on the cover.
Lee Holden
Assistant Director of Question Production, International Academic Competitions
Wofford '18, Dorman '14
canaanbananarama
Wakka

Post by canaanbananarama »

Referring to Dwight's comment about that ICT.

It was a pretty lousy ICT. Jerry - who if I'm not mistaken was playing solo, was in a bit of a sour mode. Brown had made the top bracket, but I believe they did poorly. Brown was playing its round robin game against UCLA, and UCLA was winning. At various points, Jerry was pretty upset with a question or a turn to the obvious in a question and was getting pretty vocal. Again, this was a low point for ICT. Questions weren't great, we were in Saint Louis, etc. Trying to have a little fun with the situation, I started to agree with Jerry and complain about the questions myself, so that there were sporadic conversations wasting precious time of the clock. I don't remember who the moderator was-he (come on, you thought it was Robertina von Henzlfrau?) started getting irritated and threatened to eject Jerry. I supposed it was Jerry because Jerry was louder and yelling, where as I was just kind of complaining in my normal voice with occasional laughter/sarcasm.

Charles
C. Meigs
CA
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

canaanbananarama wrote:Referring to Dwight's comment about that ICT.

It was a pretty lousy ICT. Jerry - who if I'm not mistaken was playing solo, was in a bit of a sour mode. Brown had made the top bracket, but I believe they did poorly. Brown was playing its round robin game against UCLA, and UCLA was winning. At various points, Jerry was pretty upset with a question or a turn to the obvious in a question and was getting pretty vocal. Again, this was a low point for ICT. Questions weren't great, we were in Saint Louis, etc. Trying to have a little fun with the situation, I started to agree with Jerry and complain about the questions myself, so that there were sporadic conversations wasting precious time of the clock. I don't remember who the moderator was-he (come on, you thought it was Robertina von Henzlfrau?) started getting irritated and threatened to eject Jerry. I supposed it was Jerry because Jerry was louder and yelling, where as I was just kind of complaining in my normal voice with occasional laughter/sarcasm.

Charles
I think the dude who was threatening to eject me was Nate someone-or-other. Nate Meyvis? Is that a person?
Jerry Vinokurov
canaanbananarama
Wakka

Post by canaanbananarama »

It may very well have been a Meyvis of the Nate-ish variety, sounds about right.
C. Meigs
CA
InvadErGII
Rikku

Post by InvadErGII »

My career as a player is not particularly prolific or interesting, but I have a handful of great/terrible memories scattered over the last...17 years? Jesus. A brief disclaimer to most of this: the Minnesota high school circuit was, as far as I'm aware, completely oblivious to good quiz bowl practices around this time.

- Some tournament at the U of St. Thomas, ca. 1998: When I started playing, my high school team had two very good (by late 90's Minnesota standards) but extremely volatile players. At this tournament, one of them reached across a table to grab an opposing player during a match. I don't recall why, though there's a good chance it was over basically nothing. We were somehow not disqualified. That same guy also used the n-word during the player intros of a TV match once.

- A knowledge bowl question, ca. 1999: "Complete this joke by using the name of an Asian nation: Your knapsack is brown, but my..."

- Also around 1999, at a tournament at North St. Paul HS: My team finished in 4th place, which was a solid finish for us. However, were it not for some very suspect tiebreakers, we probably would have finished third. In an attempt to not go empty handed, we emblazoned four Sprite cans with the phrase '4th Place' and awarded them to ourselves. I still have that can.

- During a random game at Minnesota's league night, ca. 2000: My team was given an absurd bonus on the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards, which even by Patrick's Press standards was pointlessly obscure and difficult. As it happens, my family finally caved in and got cable shortly before the 1996 VMA's aired, and I must have watched it a dozen times. I casually 30'd that bonus, and the stunned reaction from our opponents and my own team is something I treasure to this day. I was born to get that bonus.

- The 2001 National Academic Championship: The "highlight" of my high school career. We were in Los Angeles for a week and played 4 games. It was an incredible trip, though, perhaps in part because the NAC had so little to do with it.

- A weird practice/scrimmage of just trash questions at the U of MN, ca. 2002: I don't remember a ton about this, other than that it was great and made for a pretty full day. I'm pretty sure Brian Wiekle was there. Practicing for TRASHionals, maybe?

- A doubles trash tournament @ U of Illinois, ca. 2009: I registered a team for this, and upon our arrival we were told that it was actually a high school event. My teammate and I were allowed to compete anyway. It went well for us.

- HSCNT 2014: The whole weekend was wonderful, but the Worst Trash Ever side event was a highlight. Never thought I'd have to buzz in and say "Is this Creed AGAIN?", but here we are.

More generally, the last several years of moderating for MNHSQB, ACRONYM and other events has produced a lot of great memories.
Erik Nelson
Director, Minnesota High School Quiz Bowl
President, Play Quiz Bowl LLC
www.bouncebackfoundation.org
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

That final.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

InvadErGII wrote:- A knowledge bowl question, ca. 1999: "Complete this joke by using the name of an Asian nation: Your knapsack is brown, but my..."
Republic of China
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

merv1618 wrote:A knowledge bowl question, ca. 1999: "Complete this joke by using the name of an Asian nation: Your knapsack is brown, but my..."
uzbek is tan

wait
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

Matthew J wrote:
merv1618 wrote:A knowledge bowl question, ca. 1999: "Complete this joke by using the name of an Asian nation: Your knapsack is brown, but my..."
uzbek is tan

wait
But seriously, I've been at this for ten minutes and I can't think of a better answer. Is-real? My Afghan is tan? North Korea?

That might be the worst bonus part I've ever heard. I love it.
Bradley Kirksey
Mayor of quiz bowl at the University of Central Florida (2010-2015)
The club at Reformed Theology Seminary Orlando (2017 - 2021)
Fado Alexandrino
Yuna

Post by Fado Alexandrino »

bradleykirksey wrote:
Matthew J wrote:
uzbek is tan

wait
But seriously, I've been at this for ten minutes and I can't think of a better answer. Is-real? My Afghan is tan? North Korea?

That might be the worst bonus part I've ever heard. I love it.
(Pack) Pak is tan!?!?!?!
Joe Su, OCT
Lisgar 2012, McGill 2015, McGill 2019, Queen's 2020
Harpie's Feather Duster
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

An Afghan is a type of knitted blanket and is therefore also correct! Protest!
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
InvadErGII
Rikku

Post by InvadErGII »

The United Stats of America wrote:
(Pack) Pak is tan!?!?!?!
Yeah, it's supposed to be this. I never minded knowledge bowl that much in high school, but it was (is?) really prone to things like this.
Erik Nelson
Director, Minnesota High School Quiz Bowl
President, Play Quiz Bowl LLC
www.bouncebackfoundation.org
The Friar
Wakka

Post by The Friar »

Cross-posted from Facebook.

I can't use HTML5 to reverse the order of these, so you'll just have to imagine that it's counting down instead of up.
  1. That time I became the face of good quizbowl just by getting destroyed in the right place at the right time
    Rochester A at ACF Nationals <del>2004</del>(2005 apparently?) consisted of me, Jeff Ballerini, and star player Fred Bush. That was all. We did not claim a lot of points. Michigan A included Ezequiel Berdichevsky, Adam Kemezis, Matt Lafer, and Leo Wolpert, among the best handful of foursomes ever stapled together to play a college tournament. I don't remember how much they beat us by, but it was some big number. I remember we played them at all mostly because the banner photo at http://www.acf-quizbowl.com pictures our two teams sitting lined up to play a game. The image representing good quizbowl at the college level is four more or less legends from Michigan and one from Rochester, plus two Rochester guys who were more or less along for the ride, of whom one is me.
  2. That time that Ray Bradbury
    My first playing experience was on It's Academic. The clock was running out in the Grab Bag round and we had a lead but Washington-Lee was catching up to us and I was pretty resigned to doing most of the buzzing by that point and here came this question that was clearly about a sci-fi author but I didn't know which and I was just going to have to ring in and say it was Asimov or the other team was definitely going to get it and take the lead and here I go and hang on after not having an answer all game Robert Harper just buzzed in with Ray Bradbury and we got points and didn't lose and that had just happened. Clutch, Bob.
  3. That time that Michael Collins
    I think this was SCT 2005. I think this was either in Round 2 against Michigan A or Round 10 or maybe 7 against Michigan B. The former we had no place beating (same legendary lineup as above) and the latter was a test for us, but we won all of those games. I know it was a come-from-behind-on-the last-tossup win. I know that the last tossup was on Michael Collins (the Irish one, not the lunar one), and Sid Parameswaran converted it to what should have been thunderous applause but probably wasn't. Clutch, Sid.
  4. That time that Calvin's dad
    Or, really, Chicago Open weekend 2013 as a whole, which is the only one I've been to so far. The single instant that stands out was first-lining a tossup on "Calvin's dad" at Trash. I bet I've had other impressive buzzes at other points in my career, but I like this recent one the best, as it finally extracted a little value from some of the ways I think I was really Doing It Wrong growing up. I never found the motivation to go get more of any of the great arts and letters that crossed my path, which meant I missed out on almost all there was to experience of them; instead I would just get really familiar with whatever happened to fall into my lap. I didn't have comic books; I had one Calvin and Hobbes book and I re-read it till it was in very bad shape. But darn if something out of that one book wasn't the beginning of a tossup this one time.
  5. That time my first ACF Fall was the one I directed
    In 2004, an ACF Fall site was set up at Rochester. I didn't get to play 2002 or 2003 because reasons. By Fall 2004 I was decently established as a non-novice player, so I didn't enter that year either -- I directed. There wasn't a computer available to run SQBS on, so I kept track of stats by hand for six teams. I had a good time.
  6. That time we took seventh at ICT and I visited my future alma mater
    This was ICT 2004 at Washington University in St. Louis. Rochester didn't have our key players Micha Elsner and Sid Parameswaran, but we snuck into the top bracket with Fred Bush, Michael Adelman, Jack Schermeyer, and myself. At some point while we were there somebody flew a Jolly Roger from one of the big tall things on campus, like the power plant tower or something.
  7. That time my non-circuit high school team eliminated DCC from our first real tournament
    Possibly an overrated memory? Possibly an overrated memory. One I look back on pretty fondly, though. My high school didn't even learn that there was a circuit beyond It's Academic till my senior year. We showed up for an event in Anne Arundel County, our first ever aside from an early-season warm-up, and, what the heck, why was there a team from Detroit playing? After a good morning, we proceeded to beat them in a single-elim playoff match, and I don't know about anyone else, but I felt slightly proud to have taken out the "carpetbaggers". It would only be years later that I'd hear about Detroit Catholic Central as one of the country's top high school teams year in and year out.
  8. That time I helped bring PACE NSC 2012 to my campus
    I figured out how we could run it in just two buildings if administration cooperated. I went between PACE and the events management office until I could put them in touch directly. I found lodging at the Sheraton Clayton a couple convenient Metrolink stops away for less than they were going to pay at a two-star hotel further away south of Forest Park and beyind walking distance fom light rail. I warned them not to eat the Provel that was an ingredient in several of the staff lunch options from Blues City Deli. I scored an abandoned coffee mug advertising the second year of NHBB while cleaning up rooms. PACE NSC has been even better in the years since, but I was happy to have contributed to making a good one occur.
  9. That time we took third at ICT
    2005 was the year Rochester's A team of Fred, Sid, Micha, and myself played together consistently. We played MLK together and apparently won; we played SCT together; we played ICT together and finished third ahead of teams featuring quizbowl names far more august than mine. Third in the US and Canada is definitely the best that any group I've been part of has ever finished at anything.
  10. That time I built the next generation of stats and scoring software from scratch and it's still operational
    It started with an excuse.

I was, functionally, on retreat in summer 2011, dog-sitting in the burbs for a church friend who had family business out of town for a month, not doing much of anything, when Charlie Dees instant-messaged me to complaing about how an open tournament I didn't remember hearing an announcement for was getting cancelled because the space had disappeared. "Hey," I thought (or had it suggested to me?), "we could probably get a few rooms at the student union at Wash U since no one else is using them right now and put this thing on anyway, and it'd be a little trouble but I guess it'd be a good excuse to take another shot at that Web scorekeeping project I started in 2009 but didn't finish. A summer open that people thought wasn't happening anyhow would be an appropriate time for beta-testing something like that."

I dusted off my terribly rusty PHP, rustier JavaScript, and non-existent CSS knowledge, and started at square one learning MySQL and Apache. I coded for a month. My laptop died all the way while I was working, so I went out the very next day and bought the cheapest refurb one I could find in order to keep going. We played St. Charles Open II on I forget what set and VCU Trash while we worked the kinks out of it. We tested it further at Gateway Invitational Tournament in the fall. When the omnishambles of WUHSAC XIV under my direction rolled around in January, it was ready, just in time, and saved the event.

It isn't attractive. It's quirky. It's designed around resources not every tournament site has (though, as Adrian Blaskiewicz and Joshua Jacobs figured out, the UI is perfectly good on mobile screens, so it can really be used anywhere). But where fancy things like Taft and BeES had never actually materialized, I delivered. WUStL Updates Statistics Live! is the best thing I've ever done in quizbowl.
EDIT: fixed an additional off-by-one error
Last edited by The Friar on Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gordon Arsenoff
Rochester '06
WUStL '14 (really)

Developer of WUStL Updates Statistics Live!
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Zeke didn't play Nationals in 2004, he edited. Must be some other year.
Jerry Vinokurov
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I'm almost certain that picture was taken at the ACF Nationals held at Northwestern - i.e., 2005 ACF Nationals, the one that was so hard that it killed the pope.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

bradleykirksey wrote:That might be the worst bonus part I've ever heard. I love it.
You're right -- this could definitely be an entire bonus, and the people who write Knowledge Bowl questions should learn to recognize the merits of a format with thirty-point bonuses:
For 10 points each, complete these sayings about backpacks by adding the name of either an Asian country or a major city:
[10] My knapsack is brown, but your...
[10] My knapsack is imaginary, but your backpack...
[10] On my knapsack is picture of brown cow, but on yours...
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
The Friar
Wakka

Post by The Friar »

grapesmoker wrote:Zeke didn't play Nationals in 2004, he edited. Must be some other year.
Noted. Do you suppose he moderated that year, and got in the photo that way? I'm pretty sure the Rochester lineup in the picture matches the year and event.
Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:I'm almost certain that picture was taken at the ACF Nationals held at Northwestern - i.e., 2005 ACF Nationals, the one that was so hard that it killed the pope.
This may be right after all. I also visually ID'd the room as the lecture hall in Jiminez, but on closer inspection it is... not.
Gordon Arsenoff
Rochester '06
WUStL '14 (really)

Developer of WUStL Updates Statistics Live!
Birdofredum Sawin
Rikku

Post by Birdofredum Sawin »

I can confirm that the ACF website photo was taken prior to a Michigan-Rochester match at 2005 ACF nationals--I believe I took the photo, in fact. In any event, it was taken before a match I read in the big auditorium at Northwestern.
Andrew

Ex-Virginia, Ex-Chicago, Ex-Stanford
QuizBowlRonin
Wakka

Post by QuizBowlRonin »

Birdofredum Sawin wrote:I can confirm that the ACF website photo was taken prior to a Michigan-Rochester match at 2005 ACF nationals--I believe I took the photo, in fact. In any event, it was taken before a match I read in the big auditorium at Northwestern.
Actually, I took the photo.

This is the original:

http://web.stanford.edu/~jcpaik/original.JPG

There are some others from the same tournament, taken either with a really crappy circa 2000 cell phone camera or point and shoot.

http://web.stanford.edu/~jcpaik/andrew.JPG
http://web.stanford.edu/~jcpaik/andrew2.JPG
http://web.stanford.edu/~jcpaik/adamandzeke.jpg
http://web.stanford.edu/~jcpaik/berkeley.JPG
http://web.stanford.edu/~jcpaik/chicagomichigan.JPG
http://web.stanford.edu/~jcpaik/chicagomichigan2.JPG (note who's in the seats behind the teams)
http://web.stanford.edu/~jcpaik/grainy1.jpg
http://web.stanford.edu/~jcpaik/grainy2.jpg
Jason Paik
retired

WashU, UAB, Stanford
Nabonidus
Wakka

Post by Nabonidus »

That moment when you punctuate your last tossup at ACF Nationals by waving a physical copy of Dictionary of the Khazars at the reader.
Derek So
McGill
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

The Quest for the Historical Mukherjesus wrote:That final.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD

dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

CO 2008. Spent the day after my 21st birthday doing tourist-y things with the Florida contingent (Borglum, Beyer, Harvey, Ragab, Silberstein, other people whom I can't name off the top), then three days of doing stats for History Doubles (Bruce, I still owe you a thank you for the ties), the main event, Lit Doubles, and CO Trash.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

That day before CO 2008 was a super-fun day. We could tell Donald had experience hanging out with quiz bowl people, as he really didn't know any of us that well, was literally stuffed in the trunk area of our rental vehicle because the seats were all taken, and then driven directly to a Jeff Koons show at the contemporary art museum (featuring art-porn close-up photos of Koons's then-wife Iliana, among other madness), and he took it all in stride. Good times!
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

CO 2008 was awesome because we won and I got a tossup on the Battle of Dettingen.

Also, That Final.
Jerry Vinokurov