Mountain Lakes (NJ) Invitational, Jan. 3 2015 - IS 141A

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Mountain Lakes (NJ) Invitational, Jan. 3 2015 - IS 141A

Post by Northern Central Railway »

Mountain Lakes High School will be hosting the second annual Mountain Lakes Invitational on January 3, 2015. This tournament will use NAQT set 141A. Each round will be 20 tossups and bonuses, untimed. We will not be using math computation tossups or bonuses.

In-person registration will take place from 7:30am to 8:30am, with Round 1 starting at 9 a.m. Each team will be guaranteed at least 8 games and I anticipate the tournament finishing by around 5 p.m.

Mountain Lakes High School is located at 96 Powerville Road in Mountain Lakes, NJ 07046. Mountain Lakes is easily accessible from interstates 80 and 287, located next to Parsippany.

The top 15% of the field will qualify for the 2015 NAQT High School National Championship Tournament being held May 29-May 31, 2015 in Chicago. In addition, this tournament will be certified by PACE, meaning that either the top 15% or 20% of the field will qualify for the 2014 PACE National Scholastics Championship to be held June 6-7 in Reston, VA.

Registration
To register for this tournament, please fill out the form at http://bit.ly/2015MLInvitational . If you do not receive a confirmation e-mail from me within 24 hours of registering, please let me know. Filling out the form is the only type of registration I will accept – e-mails or posts in this thread telling me how many teams you’re bringing will not be considered as valid registrations.

The current field cap is 36 teams. There may be a field extension if (and only if) sufficient staff and buzzers can be lined up. At this point there is a limit of 3 teams per school in the field. Any additional teams from a school will be placed on a waitlist. If there is still room in the field a month before the tournament (i.e. on December 3th), then the additional teams past 3 will be let into the field. There is a limit of 6 players per team, 4 of which can play at once. If you bring more than 6 players, you must register a second team in order for all of them to play.

Payment

First team: $75
Each additional team: $60
Moderator discount: $15 per moderator
Buzzer discount: $10 per buzzer system with at least 8 working buzzers
Minimum fee per team: $30

Teams who do not pay by the day of the tournament will be charged a $25 penalty and will have two weeks to pay their total before we contact your school administration about it. This tournament can accept payment by cash or check. If paying by check, the check must be made out to “Mountain Lakes High School, c/o Academic Team”. If you require a pre-tournament invoice in order to have a check cut, you must let us know by let us know by December 23, so that we can send you the invoice in time. If you do not let us know about this requirement by December 23rd, and it causes you to come to the tournament without your payment, then you will be subject to the $25 late payment penalty.

Food
We will provide a breakfast of bagels and juice. As there are not many eateries within reasonable driving distance to fit into the hour-long lunch break, we will be doing a large pizza order the day of the tournament. Each large cheese pizza will cost $10. We will have soda/water available for purchase at the tournament. If you want to bring your own refreshments, that’s fine.

If you have any questions about this tournament, post in the thread or send me a private message or e-mail to [email protected]. Hope to see you in January.

Andrew Ibendahl
Tournament Director, Mountain Lakes Invitational

Field (teams/buzzers/moderators)

Livingston (3/2/2)
Middlesex County Academy (2/1/1)
Millburn (2/2/0)
Scarsdale (2/0/0)
'Deep Green' (4/0/0)
Ranney (1/0/0)
High Point Regional (2/1/1)
St. Joseph's (3/2/0)
'Gotham' (1/0/0)
'J. P. Wynne' (1/1/0)
Emmaus (1/0/0)
'Homeschool' (1/0/0)
Hunterdon Central (2/0/0)
Lenape Valley Regional (1/0/1)
Jonathan Dayton (1/1/0)
'Lehigh Valley Academy' (1/0/0)
Seton Hall Prep (1/1(+?)/1(+?)
Middlesex Middle (1/4/0)
'The Foxes' (1/0/0)

Total: (31/15/6)

Waitlist
Last edited by Northern Central Railway on Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:01 pm, edited 29 times in total.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Former Coach, Mountain Lakes (NJ)
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Re: Mountain Lakes (NJ) Invitational, Jan. 3 2015 - IS 141A

Registration has been open for just over a week and the field is already just about halfway full with 17 teams from 3 states - although field expansion is possible, it is by no means definite, so please register soon if you would like to guarantee a spot in the field.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

The field for this tournament has now hit the tentative field cap of 36. I am re-assessing the staffing and buzzer situation and will have a decision about field expansion within a week. Right now I am leaning toward expanding the field size to 42; I will be maintaining a wait list, but this field expansion is not for certain yet.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

The field size for this tournament will be 36 teams, barring a sudden treasure trove of buzzers and moderators (as well as enough teams) being found. All registered teams should be receiving an e-mail yet this evening - if you do not get it, please let me know.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Due to a sizable number of drops, the waitlist is now empty, so if you were previously looking at this tournament but dissuaded by the number of teams on the waitlist, there's now a nonzero chance you can make it into the field.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

Could you hold 1/1/1 for SHP? I will talk to the new coach tomorrow. Thanks. (possibly more buzzers/experienced moderators to come!)
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

There have been multiple drops within the last 24 hours, the field currently stands at 31 teams, meaning that any team(s) that register will be in the field.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Congraulations to 'J.P. Wynne' for winning the second ever Mountain Lakes Invitational with a 425-300 win over 'Deep Green' A in the first place game. Other placement games were as follows:
Lehigh Valley Academy defeated Emmaus 330-270 for 3rd.
'The Foxes' defeated Livingston B 445-250 for 5th.
Millburn A defeated High Point Regional A 525-90 for 7th.

'J.P. Wynne', 'Deep Green' A, Lehigh Valley Academy, Emmaus, and 'The Foxes' qualify for HSNCT. Those 5 teams plus Livingston B and Millburn A qualify for the PACE NSC. Full stats will be posted within a few days.

Thanks to everyone for coming - as a reminder, the questions used for this tournament are not yet clear for discussion.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Apologies for the delay, but stats are now uploaded here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/2565/
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08