2015 NAQT SCT: February 7

Old college threads.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2015 NAQT SCT: February 7

Post by Important Bird Area »

NAQT is pleased to announce the hosts of its 2015 Sectional Championship Tournaments.

Carleton University
Columbia
Virginia
Georgia Tech
Central Florida
Youngstown State
Chicago
Macalester
Central Oklahoma
Texas A&M
Claremont
UC Berkeley

Contact information for each site is available on naqt.com.

Last updated 1/14 --JTH
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Re: 2015 NAQT SCT: February 7

Post by Cody »

It took weeks and weeks after the stated deadline for THESE sites? They suck and are massively incomplete.

In particular, despite getting a perfect bid from UVA, which is ever so perfectly centered to draw from upper SC, NC, VA, and MD (thus making it the perfect complement to the normal southeast sites and the west & east northeast sites you will have to once again employ for staffing reasons) [and has an editor of SCT, to boot], you've awarded it to ... Maryland? Where's the sense in that? You're just making it harder for the west NE site (which I've heard rumors may be Columbia) to exist.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Important Bird Area

Cody wrote:It took weeks and weeks after the stated deadline for THESE sites? They suck and are massively incomplete.

In particular, despite getting a perfect bid from UVA, which is ever so perfectly centered to draw from upper SC, NC, VA, and MD (thus making it the perfect complement to the normal southeast sites and the west & east northeast sites you will have to once again employ for staffing reasons) [and has an editor of SCT, to boot], you've awarded it to ... Maryland? Where's the sense in that? You're just making it harder for the west NE site (which I've heard rumors may be Columbia) to exist.
We're working on additional sites. Expect 2-3 sites in the greater midwest and the possibility of an additional northeastern site beyond the existing bid from Columbia.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Cody

Post by Cody »

bird bird bird bird bird wrote:We're working on additional sites. Expect 2-3 sites in the greater midwest and the possibility of an additional northeastern site beyond the existing bid from Columbia.
So what you're saying is that NAQT is committed to committing what I will now call the George-Oppen-faux-pas? Does NAQT understand the concept of a circle of X miles radius on a map? Does NAQT understand the idea that "giving SCT to a site w/ an editor, and thus another free bid, creates a huge disincentive for them to play any of their good moderators, since they will have all the bids they need to ICT if it isn't literally down the street from them"?

UVA and UChicago were the most obvious places to get hosts for their prospective regions because you can practically guarantee that they will be adequately -- or more than adequately -- staffed. Of course, UVA bid and should've been awarded their bid, but was UChicago really pursued that intently by NAQT?

Why must SCT sites always be chosen poorly?
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Important Bird Area

Cody wrote:So what you're saying is that NAQT is committed to committing what I will now call the George-Oppen-faux-pas? Does NAQT understand the concept of a circle of X miles radius on a map?
Oppen is a Nationals-minus open tournament. For that reason, its sites will be fewer and more distant than those for SCT, a tournament that every active college team should be playing.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

bird bird bird bird bird wrote:
Cody wrote:So what you're saying is that NAQT is committed to committing what I will now call the George-Oppen-faux-pas? Does NAQT understand the concept of a circle of X miles radius on a map?
Oppen is a Nationals-minus open tournament. For that reason, its sites will be fewer and more distant than those for SCT, a tournament that every active college team should be playing.
I think Cody was referring to the somewhat-odd decision to have mirrors of Oppen as close as Columbia and Maryland without regard for how that will affect their fields.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

I don't think there's going to be a huge problem with field-splitting with the choice of UVA vs. UMD as a host site, but I agree that the choice to not use UVA (where notable editor Matt Bollinger goes to school) seems rather silly to me. Also, I warmly welcome the possibility of a second Northeast site, since timing and transportation issues means that we might not be able to attend SCT if it's at Columbia on that specific weekend.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
Cody

Post by Cody »

bird bird bird bird bird wrote:Oppen is a Nationals-minus open tournament. For that reason, its sites will be fewer and more distant than those for SCT, a tournament that every active college team should be playing.
The George-Oppen-faux-pas (GOFP) is not limited to any specific level of tournament, as UMCP and Columbia are barely separated by 4, maybe 5 [with traffic], hours. This is pretty much unacceptably close for any tournament, but of course this COULD be worked around for most tournaments with proper coverage of geographic areas. SCT has failed to do this.

The number of teams between UMCP and Columbia that would normally attend a Columbia tournament but are now split between Columbia and UCMP includes UPenn and UDelaware as well as some presumable number of other teams, which is a ballpark of at least 4 teams if not 6+ (if measuring multiple teams for each school). Presumably, UPenn will go to Columbia anyway while UDel will go to UMCP.

The number of NC teams with a much longer drive -- not attending or reducing attendance as a result of the tournament being much further away and requiring an overnight trip -- includes UNC, Duke, Wake Forest, and High Point. Davidson, being closer to Georgia Tech, is not included here. The VA teams impacted include Radford and Longwood, at the least. All of these teams are off the top of my head, so naturally I am missing multiple teams. As should be obvious, the problem for SCT is not the split field between UMCP and Columbia, but rather the trek to UMCP for southerly teams.

NAQT has made a blunder, for what seems like the umpteenth time, in choosing SCT sites through a seeming lack of understanding basic geography (ironic, surely) and how host sites should be separated in various regions. The stated justification only makes the decision to host an SCT at UMCP instead of UVA more of a poor choice, rather than less. A trifecta of UVA, Columbia, Boston-area-school would've been great and quite properly covered the area from SE to NE, given Georgia Tech and UCF. The idea that UMCP somehow properly covers the non-Columbia/Georgia-Tech-covered mid-Atlantic is laughable -- at best -- when you've got a bid from UVA in its place. You'd need University of South Carolina to host in place of Georgia Tech if you wanted to cover 80% of NC, but that obviously didn't happen.

What exactly was gained by UCMP over UVA? A better drive for Pittsburgh teams that are already going to be better served by one of the multiple required midwest sites not already awarded bids?
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

I wholeheartedly agree with everything Cody is saying about mirror placement. Being at the very edge of the Mid-Atlantic, the North Carolina teams (UNC, Duke, Wake, et al.) consistently get the short end of the stick. Perhaps the most egregious example is last year's Penn Bowl, where there were mirrors at UPenn and Alabama, forcing NC teams to drive 7-8 hours to play a regular difficulty tournament. If you're going to put a tournament at the edge of one region, don't make the other mirror at the other edge of the neighboring region as well.

The natural solution to this would be "just start hosting tournaments, then you'll have them closer to you". However, given that nearly every major tournament has an editor from the Mid-Atlantic, that's not always feasible, plus the fact that a North Carolina mirror would mean everyone else has to drive a while to get here.

That all being said, paradoxically, UNC would prefer a Maryland SCT. We have three club members doing a UNC "study abroad" program in DC next semester, and so UMD would actually be a better site for our attendance.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Important Bird Area

Added a site at Macalester.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Jeff, I think it might be beneficial if this page actually showed the names of the institutions hosting directly on it.

Also, it looks like the registration deadline for Georgia Tech has been set has 2/2/2012.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Important Bird Area

Frater Taciturnus wrote:Also, it looks like the registration deadline for Georgia Tech has been set has 2/2/2012.
Fixed.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:Jeff, I think it might be beneficial if this page actually showed the names of the institutions hosting directly on it.
Fixed.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Important Bird Area

Added a northeastern site at Columbia.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Added the University of Chicago.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

Are there plans to add any sites between Maryland and Chicago?
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15
Important Bird Area

Yes. We are waiting to confirm room reservations at an Ohio-area host.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Any information on whether there will be additional Northeastern sites?
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Important Bird Area

We would like to have an additional New England site. Schools interested in hosting such a tournament should contact us.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Added another midwestern SCT site (Youngstown State).
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

zthomas.nc
Lulu

Post by zthomas.nc »

As a Wake Forest student, totally agree with the viewpoints that Cody and Ryan have expressed here. Especially for a smaller program like mine (also, according to NAQT, we would be a Division II team), it can be tough to justify the roughly six hour trip to College Park to attend a quiz bowl tournament. Would have loved for UVA to have been a host site.
Zachary I. Thomas
Early College at Guilford '12
Wake Forest University '16
Corry
Rikku

Post by Corry »

So I'm assuming at this point that there won't be a second Northeast site, right?
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

I'd like to second Corry's question because I'm going to have to submit our club's term budget in less than two weeks. If the only SCT in the Northeast is in New York, we're probably not going to have as many interested players or teams because our Winter Carnival is that weekend and we wouldn't be able to get home until late at night.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Periplus of the Erythraean Sea wrote:we're probably not going to have as many interested players or teams because our Winter Carnival is that weekend and we wouldn't be able to get home until late at night.
This is really not relevant. Hate to break it to you, but "my school is having a five-day party and I don't want to skip even a single day to do other stuff" is an excuse which all those people will give you irrespective of whether a closer SCT site is added.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

I'd note that our school has consistently managed to send at least two teams to Boston sites of SCT despite it falling on Carnival weekend every single year, but I'm not sure this will be true of a trip to New York because you typically can't get back to Hanover until around 11PM, which is a lot later than 8:30 PM. Regardless, the more relevant point is that it would be convenient to know the date of the tournament in the next week or two, because we start school next Monday and have to have the budget submitted a week from then.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Corry
Rikku

Post by Corry »

Echoing Will, I'm reasonably sure that Amherst will be able to send one team to the SCT regardless of where it's held, but my ability to wrangle together enough players for a second team is largely contingent on whether a closer SCT site can be found.
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor
Cody

Post by Cody »

Much more important than the complaints above is that no school has enough staffers to host a single northeast SCT site (not this close to Boston, at any rate). Counting teams you'd expect to register, the Columbia site could easily be looking at 28 -- or more -- teams (not counting, of course, the 2 Columbia house teams). Brown, MIT, or Harvard would all be ideal hosts to keep the field split.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Are the rest of the SCT sites going to be announced on the forums soon? I think the Chicago, Youngstown State, A&M and Claremont sites have yet to be announced, and it's, well, January.

EDIT: I'm an idiot and forgot that Youngstown State and Claremont had already posted their announcements. Question still stands for Chicago and A&M, though.
Last edited by 1992 in spaceflight on Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
njsbling
Rikku

Post by njsbling »

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:Are the rest of the SCT sites going to be announced on the forums soon? I think the Chicago, Youngstown State, A&M and Claremont sites have yet to be announced, and it's, well, January.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16824 (Claremont)

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16849 (Youngstown State)
Nicholas Karas
Atlanta, Georgia
Member, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
californiacupquizbowl (at) gmail (dot) com
Bensonfan23
Wakka

Post by Bensonfan23 »

To jump in late on the Mid-Atlantic site issue, has there been any update on that site potential being moved to UVA or elsewhere? Speaking for Duke's team, since I've seen other NC teams post here as well, choosing a site closer to North Carolina would be very helpful in deciding whether or not we can ultimately attend this. Our team definitely wants to play SCT, but the distance traveled to the Maryland and GT sites might end up preventing us from attending if they are the only options, which would be unfortunate.
Ryan Humphrey
UT Austin (Cell & Developmental PhD Program, 2018-?)
Duke University (Biology and History, Class of 2018)
George Washington High School (Charleston, WV, Class of 2014)
Former PACE Member (2017-2019)
Important Bird Area

We have asked Virginia to reserve rooms for February 7; when and if they are able to confirm rooms, we'll announce a switch.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Cody

Post by Cody »

bird bird bird bird bird wrote:We have asked Virginia to reserve rooms for February 7; when and if they are able to confirm rooms, we'll announce a switch.
Can I note how bad of an idea this is? Every single day that SCT is not confirmed to be in one place hurts the field. I never would've advocated moving SCT if I knew that this weird limbo would happen it's just as bad as having a geographically misplaced site. Either Virginia is trusted to be able to get rooms (something they never have a problem with, barring 1 prominent exception) and you should move the tournament as of 1, 2, 3 weeks ago, or they can't be trusted to get rooms and it stays at Maryland. Please, pick one.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Important Bird Area

I am pleased to report that the mid-Atlantic SCT site has been moved to the University of Virginia; registration is now open.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

squash
Kimahri

Post by squash »

I'm having difficulty locating information regarding payment. Is there some way to obtain an official invoice with details regarding where the payment should be sent, who it should be made out to, and the deadline for the check to be received? It takes a couple weeks for our school to send the check (direct payment via mail is usually the only method they approve) so I wanted to make sure it arrived if it's by the day of the tournament.
Thanks!
Sara Quashnie
University of Notre Dame '15
Important Bird Area

Just a reminder that today is the last day of open registration for SCT. If your team hasn't signed up yet, please register here!
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Given that today is a "snow day" for much of Southern Ontario and snow is expected on the weekend (albeit not in large quantities), what will NAQT do if a venue (a University campus, say) is closed due to inclement weather on the 7th? I know tournaments have been rescheduled by one week in the past, but my question relates more to an "everybody's already here" situation than a foreseeable closure.
Jordan Palmer, Nick Penner's Hero.

Pass by, and curse thy fill, but pass and stay not here thy gait.
Important Bird Area

Ideally, we would want to make the call about postponing the tournament before any teams departed on Friday.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

The SCT set has been completed and distributed to the tournament hosts.

If you are hosting SCT this Saturday and do not currently have a complete set of 32 packets in your inbox, please contact me.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Please note that the SCT set will be used for future tournaments, including NAQT's community college championship and a number of spring high school events. For question-specific discussion, please select "2015 SCT discussion" from your user control panel.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Official stats will be posted here as we receive them from the hosts. Please let us know ([email protected]) if there are any corrections that need to be made.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

If you noticed any errors or typos in the 2015 SCT packets, please let us know (either email [email protected], or post in the thread collecting these in the 2015 SCT private forum).
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF