NY/NJ/Surrounding Area, 2014-2015

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.

Which team will be the most dominant in the 2014-2015 season?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:38 pm

St. Joe's
No votes
High Tech
61%
Ridgewood
No votes
Mountain Lakes
2%
Kellenberg
No votes
Hunter
2%
Charter
20%
East Brunswick
No votes
Bergen
6%
North Babylon
No votes
Great Neck South
No votes
Ithaca
9%

Total votes: 54

Mark Wolfsberg
Lulu

Re: NY/NJ/Surrounding Area, 2014-2015

Post by Mark Wolfsberg »

MoeMoney wrote:
What grades are Ben and Will currently in?
Ben is a Sr. Will & Eric are both Jrs.
MoeMoney wrote: I can't contain my excitement for GSAC, the first time this season our entire B team lineup should be in attendance. I don't believe we've had more than 2 of our B team members together at any time yet this season, and they're stronger on house write so I can't wait to see what they can do.

The Columbia tournament confirmed that High Tech is the true number one team in the NJ area, with Rohan and Julian being able to win without Adithya. A full High Tech squad versus a full Bethlehem squad on a house write would be quite the exciting match-up. Ridgewood also proved to be a great squad at Columbia.

St. Joe's GSAC should be a great opportunity to see how the teams in the region will stack up against each other on a regular difficulty house write. I simply can't wait!
Unfortunately, Bethlehem will not be at. St. Joes. Instead, we will be headed to Lexington to take on the likes of AMSA.
Mark Wolfsberg
Parent / Driver - certainly not a coach
Bethlehem History Bowl Club
Lo, Marathon Ham!
Wakka

Post by Lo, Marathon Ham! »

Mark Wolfsberg wrote:Unfortunately, Bethlehem will not be at. St. Joes. Instead, we will be headed to Lexington to take on the likes of AMSA.
Aw darn!

So assuming that the top teams at St. Joseph’s GSAC are seeded using Morlan rank, the top teams would be:

1. High Tech
2. East Brunswick
3. Wilmington Charter
4. State College
5. Millburn
6. Great Neck South
7. Bergen
8. Ridgewood
9. Manheim Township
10. Ithaca
11. Hunter
12. Kellenberg

This would create some potentially interesting match-ups! Anyone say Quiz Bowl soap opera? We’d get to see State College and Manheim duke it out in a battle for Pennsylvania supremacy! We’d get to see a rematch from GSAC prelims last year with Wilmington Charter A vs. Ithaca A! And most excitingly, we’d get to see two young lovebirds, David Song and Lucia Geng, be forced to face-off with a Bergen A vs. Great Neck South A match-up! Which Pennsylvania team is better? Can Wilmington Charter get its revenge against Ithaca from an embarrassing prelim loss last year? Will the deep romance between a young couple be threatened by a disastrous loss for either team?

It should be noted, this tournament will probably be the most competitive tournament that this region may see all year, with most of the teams being very close in strength!

Thoughts? Comments? Anyone as excited as I am, or am I just crazy...
Mohan Malhotra
The Independence School '12
Charter School of Wilmington '16
New York University '20
Wilmington, DE/New York City, NY
Ndg
Rikku

Post by Ndg »

MoeMoney wrote: We’d get to see State College and Manheim duke it out in a battle for Pennsylvania supremacy!
This battle would also include Emmaus, who figures to be not far outside the top 100 and who beat Manheim Township not long ago.
Last edited by Ndg on Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Nadig

Mannhiem Mannheim Manheim Township, 2005-11
Carnegie Mellon University, 2011-15
Dirty Water
Lulu

Post by Dirty Water »

MoeMoney wrote:
So assuming that the top teams at St. Joseph’s GSAC are seeded using Morlan rank, the top teams would be:
Remember the Morlan rankings were before Millburn had played a tournament this season. They sure don't look like the #63 team that they were expected to be.
MoeMoney wrote:
And most excitingly, we’d get to see two young lovebirds, David Song and Lucia Geng, be forced to face-off with a Bergen A vs. Great Neck South A match-up! Will the deep romance between a young couple be threatened by a...
...which means if the seeding takes more than Morlan rankings into account(which it should), then this game won't happen. What a shame.
MoeMoney wrote: ...disastrous loss for either team?
But this is a good point. Being one of the most competitive fields this season, a single upset or bad game could be the deciding factor in playoff contention.

MoeMoney wrote: or am I just crazy...
Yup.
David Song

Princeton '21
Bergen County Academies '17
Ben Franklin MS, Ridgewood HS 2011-13
Dead Parrot
Wakka

Post by Dead Parrot »

Here's an update of Mohan's list of the top teams at GSAC using the newly-released and expanded Morlan rankings:

1. High Tech A
2. Wilmington Charter A
3. Deep Green A
4. State College A
5. Ithaca A
6. Ridgewood
7. Manheim Township A
8. West Egg
9. Hunter A
10. Mountain Lakes A
11. Bergen Academies A
12. Kellenberg A

Also, assuming the field remains the same and all teams will be at full-strength, it looks like 13 out of the 36 teams at GSAC will be in the Morlan Top 100 and 23 out of the 36 will be in the Top 200. :aaa:

In short, GSAC is shaping up to be one of the most competitive tournaments in the area this year, and I look forward to staffing it. :grin:
David Song
Livingston '14, Rutgers '18
Lo, Marathon Ham!
Wakka

Hunter played really well at the Livingston tournament today putting up stellar ppb. Does anyone know what their full A-team lineup is?
Mohan Malhotra
New York University '20
Halved Xenon Stinging
Wakka

Post by Halved Xenon Stinging »

Crazyflight wrote: Lexington: Maybe they should play less A-sets. Morlan severely over-hyped this squad on the rankings, if their performance at HFT against better teams actually means anything, which it does in my opinion. They're still a solid, well-balanced team though. We'll see what happen if they actually play tournaments down here.
God bless that we don't have any A-set tournaments left this year in an A-set heavy state. I think placing 3rd at BHSAT shows that we are not "over-hyped".
Devin Shang
Lexington High School Co-Captain '16
Pomona '20
2016 National History Bee Runner-Up, 2016 National History Bowl Runner-Up
NAQT Writer
NHBB Writer
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Shangdevin wrote:
Crazyflight wrote: Lexington: Maybe they should play less A-sets. Morlan severely over-hyped this squad on the rankings, if their performance at HFT against better teams actually means anything, which it does in my opinion. They're still a solid, well-balanced team though. We'll see what happen if they actually play tournaments down here.
God bless that we don't have any A-set tournaments left this year in an A-set heavy state. I think placing 3rd at BHSAT shows that we are not "over-hyped".
I realize I've been away from the region long enough that it's a bit weird for me to interlope, but: I just want to jump in here to say that there's no reason why a circuit that is "A-set-heavy" one year has to be "A-set-heavy" forever. If teams were disappointed by the large number of A-sets this year, or there's a serious enough clump at the top that no longer finds them challenging enough to be the mainstay of their fall semester each competition year, or both, the coaches and student captains who set the schedule can make a priority of balancing out A-sets with more sets of other origins next year. As part of that, some amount of coordination can ensure that more regular-difficulty sets in general get in there to replace some of the A-set/novice fare.

The fact that many teams in New England now seem to have caught the fire, taking their national ranking and broader regional competitiveness seriously, makes me quite happy.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Al Hirt
Wakka

Post by Al Hirt »

Out of curiosity, is Coach Powers organizing nasat tryouts again? I'm not interested in attending, but I have teammates who are and am definitely willing to help any way I can.
Shravan Balaji
Academic Team Captain
East Brunswick High School '15
University of Pennsylvania '19
NHBB Mid-Atlantic Regional Coordinator
Dead Parrot
Wakka

Post by Dead Parrot »

Al Hirt wrote:Out of curiosity, is Coach Powers organizing nasat tryouts again? I'm not interested in attending, but I have teammates who are and am definitely willing to help any way I can.
And if he is, he should keep in mind that Rutgers may be hosting a mirror of MUT (the set traditionally used for NJ NASAT tryouts) that we would like to invite local HS teams to attend. STIMPY should be available as an alternate set for tryouts, though.
David Song
Livingston '14, Rutgers '18
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Post by The Polebarn Hotel »

Let's rank teams in the Northeast using the new Morlan rankings! Fun!
I've tastefully excluded New England from this. Not sorry.
  • 1) High Tech A
    2) Charter A
    3) Bethlehem
    4) Hunter A
    5) East Brunswick A
    6) State College A
    7) Ithaca
    8) High Tech B
    9) Ridgewood
    10) Livingston A
    11) Kellenberg
    12) Manheim Township A
    13) St. Joseph's A
    14) GNS A
    15) Millburn A
    16) Bergen A
    17) Emmaus A
    18) Pingry A
------ bottom 100
  • 19) Downingtown East A
    20) Mountain Lakes A
    21) Millburn B
    22) Scarsdale A
    23) HHH East A
    24) State College B
    25) Hunter B
    26) Kings Park A
    27) WWPS A
    28) Lehigh Valley A
    29) Manheim Township B
The Northeast is pretty well-represented in the quiz bowl world, and will have a presence at both national competitions (and NHBB).
Thoughts? I'll probably add to this later.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
Halved Xenon Stinging
Wakka

Post by Halved Xenon Stinging »

I would say we are probably between Ithaca and High Tech B. I heard that Casey Wetherbee from Ithaca is very good
Devin Shang
Lexington High School Co-Captain '16
Pomona '20
2016 National History Bee Runner-Up, 2016 National History Bowl Runner-Up
NAQT Writer
NHBB Writer
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Shangdevin wrote:I would say we are probably between Ithaca and High Tech B. I heard that Casey Wetherbee from Ithaca is very good
Mediocre at best, perhaps.
Ithaca A most likely won't be competing at full strength until nationals. We'll be missing Daniel and James at Prison Bowl.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
Dirty Water
Lulu

Post by Dirty Water »

Crazyflight wrote:using the new Morlan rankings!
I think this season truly showed how you can't just predict matches by looking at PPB- Bergen(#90) has two tournament victories(in the absence of High Tech/Bethlehem/Charter), while we and a few other teams have lost to Alex Schmidt and his Lehigh Valley Academy team(#186). With the exception of HTA, Bethlehem, and Charter, any of the teams on the Morlan100+ could score a win against another with a packet that leans even slightly in their favor.
DShang wrote:I heard that Casey Wetherbee from Ithaca is very good
Gotta watch out for that Luc kid though.
David Song

Princeton '21
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

The low roof'd Tortoises do dwell wrote:
Crazyflight wrote:using the new Morlan rankings!
I think this season truly showed how you can't just predict matches by looking at PPB- Bergen(#90) has two tournament victories(in the absence of High Tech/Bethlehem/Charter), while we and a few other teams have lost to Alex Schmidt and his Lehigh Valley Academy team(#186). With the exception of HTA, Bethlehem, and Charter, any of the teams on the Morlan100+ could score a win against another with a packet that leans even slightly in their favor.
DShang wrote:I heard that Casey Wetherbee from Ithaca is very good
Gotta watch out for that Luc kid though.
That's true. This region is unpredictable when it comes down to teams that aren't those three.
I think that Alex is especially volatile; he's won some really impressive matches and then lost to teams like Ithaca B or other less notable teams in the same tournament. For the most part, though, teams in the top 100 would most likely beat teams in the lower 100. Against other teams in their tier, it's hard to say. Some of them seem like they'd be pretty even and it would all come down to the set being played. Ithaca is notoriously bad at IS-sets, for example. It depends.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
Lo, Marathon Ham!
Wakka

So now that we're quickly approaching nationals, I thought it would be a good time to take a look at each team and classify it as contender, elite, adept, mid-level, lower tier, or "just going for lols". I'll take a look at the teams heading to HSNCT in this post (and maybe NSC in another) and rank them based on their results listed on the NAQT website. Please don't feel offended by anything in this post, but certainly feel free to send me messages if you do.

First a quick ranking of the 21 teams from the region set to appear at HSNCT. I made this ranking by first ranking the teams based on their highest ppb and then ranking them by their power rate at the tournament where they achieved their highest ppb. I then averaged the two ranks together and re-ranked the teams. This is probably (definitely) not a good way to rank, but I did it and now its really late at night and I'm just gonna go with it.

1. High Tech A
2 (tie). Bethlehem
2 (tie). Wilmington Charter A
4. Emmaus
5. Hunter
6 (tie). East Brunswick A
6 (tie). Livingston A
8. Kellenberg
9. Millburn A
10. Manheim Township A
11. High Tech B
12 (tie). Great Neck South
12 (tie). Millburn B
14. Ithaca
15. Livingston C
16. Manheim Township B
17. Wilmington Charter B
18. Livingston B
19. Mountain Lakes
20. Wilmington Charter C
21. MAST A

Now a run-down of the teams from each school:

Bethlehem: Elite
It's been rumored that Eric Wolfsberg will be attending HSNCT solo. With a full A team this team is a contender, but as a solo team he can still do a lot of damage and make a deep playoff run.

East Brunswick: Adept
It seems like Shravan's teammates are stepping up and contributing which means this team is set to make a decent playoff run at HSNCT. Emmett in particular appears to be leading the charge with his other teammates not so far behind.

Emmaus: Mid-Level
While Emmaus has great stats, that has not necessarily translated into wins. This is a team completely led by Ryan Bilger and if another team can lock him down in a match then this team is in for trouble. I think they will be a playoff team but won't make a deep run.

Great Neck South: Mid-Level
Great Neck South is a team which doesn't necessarily put up great stats, but knows how to translate their efforts into wins. Lucia Geng and Allan Lee seem to do the bulk of powering on this team while Aaron Engel and Chris Zheng lock down niche categories, translating into a well-rounded team. I expect them to make playoffs; anything less would be shocking.

High Tech A: Title Contender
If any team out of this region has a shot at winning HSNCT, it's High Tech A. Led by the fearsome Rohan Kodialam and his partner in crime Adithya Kannan, this team has ruled this region the entire season, rarely taking losses and instilling fear in their opponents (I remember once playing a team who were extremeley overjoyed that we were not High Tech :lol: ). Julian Gau and Sharan Kumar help to provide expertise in areas where this team once lacked making them even more of a nightmare match up. Expect them to still be in contention after lunch on Sunday at HSNCT.

High Tech B: Mid-Level
Andrew Huang has emerged as the leader of this team and has really become quite terrifying in his own right across this season. Kathryn and Christiaan also contribute quite a bit. Expect a playoff appearance from this team, maybe even an upset or two.

Hunter: Mid-Level
Luke Tierney.

Ithaca: Adept
Here is yet another team whose stats may be low but is still a team that has proven it can win many games. The power rate may not be all too high, but Casey and his crew work hard to round up all those lonely little 10s and give them a warm place to rest in the win column. His teammates Daniel and Andrey have improved tremendously. Expect a decent playoff run from this team.

Kellenberg: Mid-Level
Joe Levano has been around a long time with a lot of experience under his belt. His one man heroics are sure to continue come HSNCT which will hopefully translate into a playoff appearance.

Livingston A: Mid-Level
This team appears pretty balanced with Chris, Geoff, Sora, and Shira splitting up the work pretty well. They've had several upsets across the season and have the ability to make a decent playoff run, but more likely will make only a brief playoff appearance. Prove me wrong, I know you can.

Livingston B: Lower Tier
I'm not really sure who is on this team or how they've been so successful, but I'm thinking it may not last into HSNCT. My prediction: 5-5 or 4-6.

Livingston C: Lower Tier
IDK. Honestly, I'm super surprised this team is going to nationals (then again so are our C team chipmunks). Good luck :smile:

Manheim Township A: Mid-Level
Jake and Ahan form quite the duo with Piotr providing a decent degree of back-up. I'm not sure what to expect of this team, but I certainly hope they scale up better than their A team of last year. I'm thinking perhaps a playoff appearance, but I know that they can make a run given the right conditions.

Manheim Township B: Lower Tier
A decent team, but not one I'd see making playoffs unless Aaron Zuo or his other teammates improve a lot in the coming weeks. Anything's possible.

MAST: Lower Tier
If anyone else knows something about them feel free to share.

Millburn A: Mid-Level
Michael Tai has led this team to some pretty impressive finishes this season. They were certainly quite impressive when we played them earlier this season. They can most likely sneak into playoffs.

Millburn B: Mid-Level
Again a team I know little about. They seem to be improving pretty quickly, so there's that I guess.

Mountain Lakes: Mid-Level
This team hasn't had its strongest players play together yet. When Ron, Mark, and the rest of the gang join up at HSNCT (I am assuming they will), this team may have what it takes to make playoffs.

Wilmington Charter A: Elite
As far as NAQT sets go, we heavily rely on Varun Wadhwa and our newly crowned captain Rohan Narayan to lead the team (quite the opposite for PACE). Both of them are pure NAQT players with deep knowledge in geography and current events. But don't underestimate us in other categories :wink: . Despite our team's inability to stay focused and extreme love of trolling each other in game, occasionally we can string together some wins. I think we'll certainly do better at HSNCT than NSC this year, hopefully being able to make a deep playoff run.

Wilmington Charter B: Mid-Level
Our full B team line-up has yet to compete at an NAQT event together, but they have what it takes to make a surprise playoff appearance. Jared Saquing is a master of science and the harder it gets the more he thrives. The same can be said about Mabel and her ability with fine arts. This team lacks in other categories but does get a slight boost from military history specialist Phil Kang who can be decent when he's not negging, sleeping, or persuading the other team to neg so they can get to lunch.

Wilmington Charter C: just going for lols
Hopefully our soph and frosh can learn something valuable from HSNCT. Probably not.

Please, please, please, use this opportunity to discuss our region. It would be super awesome to hear what others think. I'll do some NSC predictions when I get some more late night free time.
Mohan Malhotra
New York University '20
czheng0708
Lulu

Post by czheng0708 »

Mohan, thanks for doing these! They're usually quite funny and interesting. Interesting new username.
Great Neck South: Mid-Level
Great Neck South is a team which doesn't necessarily put up great stats, but knows how to translate their efforts into wins. Lucia Geng and Allan Lee seem to do the bulk of powering on this team while Aaron Engel and Chris Zheng lock down niche categories, translating into a well-rounded team. I expect them to make playoffs; anything less would be shocking.
While I appreciate the confidence, I wouldn't be surprised if GNS didn't meet your expectations. We're one of the few mid-level (according to your rankings) teams that doesn't have Nationals experience. Sure, Aaron and I were at NHBB Nats back in '12 (honestly the experience won't help whatsoever), but you're right in saying Lucia and Allan do the most of scoring. I guess 2015 HSNCT becomes a positive experience if Lucia, Allan, and Jacqueline (a junior) can get some decent experience to carry them into next year. Either way, this is our first "hard" tournament and we might struggle trying to scale up. Obviously NHBB is really different, but we can start to test out our ability to scale up at NHBB Nats in 2 weeks. The goal is to make playoffs and do as well as possible, though. We'll see what happens.
Christopher Zheng
Great Neck South High School '15
University of California, Berkeley '19
Dirty Water
Lulu

Post by Dirty Water »

New Jersey still has its Championships to be played on April 18th, so I'll hold off on any Nationals predictions until then.
This year has seen plenty of competition in the state, with everyone fighting for the coveted spot of 2nd place right behind High Tech A, unarguably the best team in the state. And we'll get to see the culmination of that this weekend!

Here's what I think of our in-state teams, in groups of 6:

Champions
High Tech A: There's really no question about it. This is a team that would go deep into the playoffs at either Nationals, and should have no trouble winning States at all. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this season, the full High Tech A team has been beaten only once by another team in New Jersey. Speaking of which...

Top Tier
East Brunswick A: Shravomagne and his squad beat High Tech A by 5 points at PHSAT back in September, and since then they have proven themselves to be among the elite in NJ. Our ever-classy Mr. Balaji has cleaned up his negging this year, and his teammates really have scored their fair share of points this season. It would be a shocker if this team didn't make it to the top 4.

Bergen A: There were various predictions of our performance this year, but I think we've solidified our position in the top tier this season. Unfortunately, our captain Sandy won't be at States; however, the other 4/5 of our A team will be present. We're all solid generalists, and Alon and Rebecca are always improving at science and lit, respectively- along with Zack's and my NAQT boost, we should land in the top playoff bracket easily. Our hopes remain high.

Livingston A: A fun group of people. Despite losing David Song to graduation, this team has remained strong and well-rounded: Shira is good, Sora is good, Geoffrey is good, and Nathan is good. Don't let their somewhat-low PPB deceive you: they get lots and lots of tossups. I don't think Sora will be at States, so we'll see how that affects their standing- regardless, I expect this squad to make the top bracket.

St. Joseph's A: Greg is no Jack Mehr or Alex Frey, but he's a force to be reckoned with. There are always plenty of close games with other teams in this tier, and he'll need to pull that 15 or 30 to make sure that the close games become wins.

High Tech B: During my three previous seasons on the circuit, High Tech B has never failed to make the top 8 at States; it appears that this trend will continue, with Andrew Huang playing strong and Doug Simmons, the state's JV History Bee champion. On a good packet, this team is a match for any other in this tier. They'll need to select their third and fourth players carefully, though, to fill up the gaps between Andrew and Doug's knowledge. This team may need to fight for a spot in the top 6, but I'll place them here for now.

Second Tier

Mountain Lakes A: When Mark and Ron play together, this is a considerably strong team, I wouldn't be surprised if they pull an upset and make it into the top tier. If only one of them comes to States, though, they're in trouble.

Millburn A, B: Is there really a difference between these teams? I can't tell. They're both teams with winning records. Gives scares to some top bracket teams, but I don't think either of them will be able to pull enough upsets to make it there. But really, is there any distinguishing factor between the two? It doesn't seem like one has consistently finished above the other. Whatever. Maybe they'll duke it out for 9th place or something.

Livingston B: I really don't know much about these guys besides the fact that they're one of the better B teams in the state this year, if they have their best players. But one of them will be moving up to the A squad filling in for Sora, so that may hurt this team's final standings.

St. Joseph's B: I read for these fellows this past Saturday, and they seemed like a solid team. How far they'll go, I don't know, but they're a team that knows how quizbowl works and how to win the games they should.

East Brunswick B: EB B has done well this year, I think? They've had some decent finishes...

The Rest: These are the teams in the field that have either failed to perform as well as the teams above, or their numbers are hard to find/unimpressive. An upset might lift them into the second playoff bracket, but otherwise these teams should finish below the top 12.
In alphabetical order:

Bergen B
Colonia A
East Brunswick C
High Tech C
MAST A, B, C
Moorestown A
Mountain Lakes B, C
Pennsville Memorial A, B
Seton Hall Prep
West Windsor Plainsboro-North A, B, C
WWP-South
David Song

Princeton '21
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

I'd like to point out that Ithaca A and East Brunswick A are the the only teams that are classified as "adept," while there are certainly teams (Bergen A, Hunter A, Livingston A, High Tech B come to mind) that would be deserving of this classification as well. Ithaca's power rate certainly isn't stellar compared to other good teams, and our points per bonus is generally pretty good unless we're playing an IS-set. Even so, I think we're often overranked. I don't expect an overwhelming performance at HSNCT, barring extreme improvement between now and then, which is possible.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
Lo, Marathon Ham!
Wakka

Crazyflight wrote:I'd like to point out that Ithaca A and East Brunswick A are the the only teams that are classified as "adept," while there are certainly teams (Bergen A, Hunter A, Livingston A, High Tech B come to mind) that would be deserving of this classification as well. Ithaca's power rate certainly isn't stellar compared to other good teams, and our points per bonus is generally pretty good unless we're playing an IS-set. Even so, I think we're often overranked. I don't expect an overwhelming performance at HSNCT, barring extreme improvement between now and then, which is possible.
I was basing the designations I gave on the experience I had playing these teams, although admittedly we have not played many teams in the region on NAQT sets.
Mohan Malhotra
New York University '20
Al Hirt
Wakka

Post by Al Hirt »

To clarify some stuff about EB, EB hasn't (and won't) play a tournament at full strength since Livingston Frozen Frenzy, as we have two players at Rutgers' Model Congress this weekend (Emmett Laurie and Cameron Masschaele). Our team at HSNCT will feature myself, Anand Nanduri, Jason Xu, Cameron and Emmett.

It definitely seems like states will feature some top level competition, as well as serve as a nice final hurrah for a good amount of players in the region. A couple points to note:

1. Bergen is incredibly capable, winning on both hard sets like MD Spring and easy NAQT A sets. They've got a good balance, and their players keep improving every time. Their numbers may not be great, but they win games.

2. Millburn (A/B) can be exceptionally good-don't count them out either. They wrecked us by 200 back at Livingston in prelims, and when playing together they balance each other out well enough that they get the tossups they need to. This is a much improved team from last year.

3. High Tech shall reign supreme once more. Rohan. Adithya. Julian. Sharan. These guys have dominated the state and region with such humility this year, and there's not really anything bad you can say about them. It'd be tough to imagine the region without them (but thankfully I don't have to worry about it).
Shravan Balaji
Academic Team Captain
East Brunswick High School '15
University of Pennsylvania '19
NHBB Mid-Atlantic Regional Coordinator
Ithaca Cricket Ump
Wakka

Post by Ithaca Cricket Ump »

While I agree that Ithaca could make a surprising late-nationals run, I concur with Casey that it is far more likely to happen at PACE NSC, which plays much more to their strengths than HSNCT. Although I'm not certain, I also believe that Bethlehem will have the full A team at HSNCT (they're not attending NSC), which would move them up to "title contender" status.

--Scott
Scott M. Blish
Cheval, FL
Cornell 1990-92, 1997
Tournament Director, BrainBusters Fall
HSNCT moderator 2012-, MSNCT 2013-, SSNCT 2014-, PACE NSC 2013-, NHBB Nationals 2014-
Bosa of York
Rikku

Post by Bosa of York »

I'm the only one who will be at HSNCT.
Eric Wolfsberg
Bethlehem Central High School 2016
University of Delaware 2020
Stanford 2025 or whatever