27th Annual BISB - Brookwood H.S., Snellville, GA 11/22/14

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
erinpayne331
Lulu

27th Annual BISB - Brookwood H.S., Snellville, GA 11/22/14

Post by erinpayne331 »

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/2295/

November 22nd, 2014 - 27th Annual BISB

Your school is invited to enter a team or teams in the TWENTY-SEVENTH ANNUAL BROOKWOOD INVITATIONAL SCHOLARS BOWL to be held on the campus of Brookwood High School in Snellville, GA, in the northeastern suburbs of Atlanta. The BISB is an annual competition of academic quiz teams sponsored by the Brookwood Academic Team program. 78 teams representing 48 high schools from five states participated in the November 2013 BISB.

Each team will play five preliminary matches without byes.The Tournament Director will arrange each team’s schedule of matches. (Prelims will be 16 TU w/ 3-part bonuses; playoffs will be 20 TU w/ 3-part bonuses). After the completion of the five preliminary matches, a single elimination playoff will determine the top 8 finishers. We will be using a set of questions written by the Georgia Tech team (similar to last year's questions).

The entry fee per team is $65 if paid (postmarked) by OCTOBER 17th. After OCTOBER 17th, the entry fee is $75 per team. Please see the attached registration form.

Important! Registration will CLOSE on November 14th. We must have your registration IN HAND (not just in the mail) by November 14th to guarantee your spot(s). Any teams attempting to register after November 14th will be subject to a waiting list and may or may not be able to participate.

If you have any questions, please call or e-mail Tournament Director Erin Payne at school (770-736-2145) or on her cell (404-428-4017) or at [email protected].

Thanks, and we look forward to seeing you in November!
Attachments
BISB INVITATION.doc
(29 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
Erin Payne, M.A.T.
Head Coach, Dacula High School
Dacula, GA
erinpayne331
Lulu

Re: 27th Annual BISB - Brookwood H.S., Snellville, GA 11/22/

Post by erinpayne331 »

Field as of 10/24:

Buford
Cedar Shoals (3 teams)
Centennial (2 teams)
Chattahoochee (4 teams)
Collins Hill (2 teams)
Douglas County
Eastside (2 teams)
Flowery Branch (2 teams)
GSMST (2 teams)
Hoover, AL
James Island, SC
Lakeside (2 teams)
LAMP, AL (2 teams)
Locust Grove (2 teams)
Lovett
Mary Persons (2 teams)
Meadowcreek
Mountain View (2 teams)
Parkview (4 teams)
Walton (2 teams)
Wesleyan
West Forsyth (2 teams)
Woodstock
Erin Payne, M.A.T.
Head Coach, Dacula High School
Dacula, GA
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

We enjoyed our visit to Brookwood, as usual. I would love to know how this event turned out, however, as we got knocked out in the round of 8 and had to run back to Birmingham. Anyone know who won?

Thanks again to the staff at BISB.
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
pajaro bobo
Wakka

Post by pajaro bobo »

Joshua Rutsky wrote:We enjoyed our visit to Brookwood, as usual. I would love to know how this event turned out, however, as we got knocked out in the round of 8 and had to run back to Birmingham. Anyone know who won?

Thanks again to the staff at BISB.
Chattahoochee A took first, while Ezell-Harding took second.
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

Not to be pushy, but will stats be eventually posted for this event? They may have been posted on a Georgia site, but I haven't seen anything come up yet, and would like to see them at some point if possible.

Thanks!
Joshua Rutsky
ASCA Board Member
JKHtay
Wakka

Post by JKHtay »

As of this point, they have not been posted on the GA forums. I look forward to seeing them as well!
Justin Htay

Centennial HS 2016
GT 2020
ndikkala
Lulu

Post by ndikkala »

If anyone is interested in seeing them, I can post prelim stats (which is all I have right now), but it would have to be as an attachment because they won't be on SQBS for some time as I understand it.
GSMST '15
Communications Officer
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

I don't really understand this. I know Brookwood had Coach Payne out on Maternity Leave right before this event, but it was pretty clear from the standings that were being posted in the hallways during the tourney that they were using SQBS on site to enter the matches--or if they weren't, they were using something very very similar that was generating a lot of statistical output. If you've already handled the first five rounds for 60 teams, why is it a big deal to enter the playoffs into the same program and post them? Alternatively, at least post a list of the matches and results. The staff for this event were quite good, as always, and I don't believe that Brookwood, given their experience and size, is lacking in people who could finish this job. I hope they do so soon. Normally, I wouldn't complain, but our team doesn't get out of state very often, and rarely gets to face a field that has this much talent. We have to make our decisions about what we can and can't do nationally and where our financial priorities are based on results from events like this, and it really helps to have the full picture, not just our little slice of the pie.

*EDIT* - I have been contacted with a reasonable explanation of what happened with this event and want to reiterate that I was happy with the tourney and the staff, and am only interested in seeing the stats completed for the purpose of helping my own team's case for travel funding with my administrators.
Joshua Rutsky
ASCA Board Member
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

Thank you to everyone over at Brookwood! Here are the stats if you want to peruse them.
Attachments
BISB prelims.zip
Prelim results-SQBS file in zip archive
(31.46 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
BISB Playoffs.zip
Playoff results-SQBS file in zip archive
(15.1 KiB) Downloaded 226 times
Joshua Rutsky
ASCA Board Member
gimmedatguudsuccrose
Wakka

Post by gimmedatguudsuccrose »

Were bouncebacks utilized at this tournament?
χ Smith
FHS '15
Chicago '19
pajaro bobo
Wakka

Post by pajaro bobo »

Mavis Beacon wrote:Were bouncebacks utilized at this tournament?
I believe so.
Alex Liu
Georgia Tech '1X
Chattahoochee '13
JKHtay
Wakka

Post by JKHtay »

They were, in fact.

Based off the playoff and prelim stats and assuming 5th-8th are sorted by PPG over the entire tournament...

Centennial was 5th with 350 ppg, Hoover was 6th with 346.25 ppg, Alpharetta was 7th with 335 ppg, and GSMST B was 8th with 205 ppg.
Justin Htay

Centennial HS 2016
GT 2020