ACF Fall South-central-east: University of Alabama 11/8/14

Old college threads.
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

ACF Fall South-central-east: University of Alabama 11/8/14

Post by 49-Mile Scenic Drive »

Hello!

I am pleased to announce the South-central-east site of ACF Fall 2014, to be held at University of Alabama on Saturday, 8 November 2014. ACF Fall is the year's premier introductory-level collegiate quizbowl tournament, and we do hope that you join us at this event. The tournament will be at Ten Hoor Hall. Parking is best accomplished by using the lot bordering the Ten Hoor parking deck. We would like to start the tournament no later than 9:30AM. We will meet in room 103 for pre-tournament stuff.

Format will be 2 pools of 8, with rebracketing afterwords. Rebracketed rounds will be vs the 4 teams you haven't already played. Tiebreakers will be played as needed.

Registration
Registration for this event has two steps:
First, please write to us at [email protected] with team name, number, and buzzer/staffer information.
Second, fill out the central ACF Fall registration form at this site with all relevant information.

Fees
Base fee: $120 for one team from a school, $240 for two teams from a school, etc.
Buzzer systems*: -$5 each
Staffers: -$10 each No maximum.
Laptop: -$5 each Maximum 1 per team.
Travel: -$10 per 200 miles traveled one way
International**: -$20
New to ACF teams***: -$25
New quizbowl teams****: -$75

* No discount for broken buzzers; no maximum.
** For teams representing schools located in a different country than the tournament host.
*** For schools which haven't played an ACF tournament between September 2012 and August 2014, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school.
**** For schools which did not send a team to any regular collegiate academic tournament since September 2012, and have no one on the team(s) claiming this discount who played those tournaments for another school. May be combined with new ACF team discount for a total new-team discount of $100.

Packet Discounts/Penalties
Any team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2013 is required to submit a packet. High school players are included in this definition and are subject to the same discounts and penalties as college teams.

Please reference this flowchart for the packet-submission guidelines. The links in the diagram are clickable. If you have questions on the submission guidelines, email them to [email protected] and they'll clarify.

Please submit packets to [email protected] and use “ACF Fall 2014: [Team Name]” in the subject line.

Submission schedule
Please refer to the below submission schedule:

Payment
Payment for ACF Fall will be processed through the ACF treasurer, Jerry Vinokurov. He will get in touch with you about how much your team owes, how to pay for the tournament, etc. Please contact Jerry with any questions regarding payment.

Note Regarding Highschool Teams
High school teams are welcome to play this tournament, though they should keep in mind that while this may be a lower difficulty tournament, it is nevertheless a collegiate event and significantly more difficult than many high school tournaments. There will be no further discounts for things like playing short-handed or being new to ACF or quizbowl, which applies only to new college teams. Furthermore, high school teams must abide by the packet requirements if any of its members played a college tournament prior to the 2013-2014 competition season.

For more information, refer to the Global Announcement of ACF Fall 2014 or email the editors at [email protected].
Last edited by 49-Mile Scenic Drive on Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mark Morris
University of Alabama-Huntsville '13
Auburn Pharmacy '19
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Re: ACF Fall South-central-east: University of Alabama 11/8/

Field: Teams/Buzzers/Staffers
Auburn 2/0/0
Clemson 1/???/2
Louisiana Tech 2/1/0
Tulane 2/2/1
UA House Team 1/0/0
UGA 3/0/0
ULL 1/0/0
WKU 1/1/Possible Staffer
Wofford 1/2/0
Vandy 1/0/1

Interested:
West Point High School

We've reserved 8 rooms for the tournament so right now the field will be capped at 16 teams.
Last edited by 49-Mile Scenic Drive on Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:58 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
cessing
Lulu

Post by cessing »

Clemson is bringing 2 buzzer systems
Chris Essinger
VP of Competition
Clemson Academic Team
gaurav.kandlikar
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by gaurav.kandlikar »

The official field for this site can be found here.
Gaurav Kandlikar
UCLA
Member of ACF and PACE
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Field is now tentatively closed, if you'd still like to come let me know and we will do a wait list if we can secure any additional rooms!
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
derwahrejakob
Kimahri

Post by derwahrejakob »

Any updates on times/locations?
Laura Pratt
JCIB '13 Auburn '17
President, Auburn Quiz Bowl

"The boys are betting. The boys are wrong."
cessing
Lulu

Post by cessing »

Just a heads up, Clemson is now bringing 3 staffers
Chris Essinger
VP of Competition
Clemson Academic Team
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

People should be aware that this tournament is starting at 9AM.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

The Ununtiable Twine wrote:People should be aware that this tournament is starting at 9AM.
If a tournament host announces that they're starting at 9:30AM, they can't reasonably expect teams to know that they really meant 9AM, especially when the first notice of this was 9 hours before the tournament starts and I assume most teams are in bed.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Final Standings:
1. UGA A 11-0
2. Vanderbilt 10-1
3. Louisiana 9-2
4. Louisiana Tech A 8-3 or 7-4
5.-8. Tulane, Wofford, Clemson, Louisiana Tech B in some order

I'm sure someone will post stats soon.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

The stats for this tournament can be found here. I'll do my best to clean them up after I'm done with my midterms, hopefully. The top bracket is Georgia, Vandy, Louisiana, Louisiana Tech A, Louisiana Tech B, Tulane, Wofford, Clemson. If you have any corrections/forfeit wins you wish to claim please PM those to me.

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /combined/
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

The Ununtiable Twine wrote:The stats for this tournament can be found here. I'll do my best to clean them up after I'm done with my midterms, hopefully. The top bracket is Georgia, Vandy, Louisiana, Louisiana Tech A, Louisiana Tech B, Tulane, Wofford, Clemson. If you have any corrections/forfeit wins you wish to claim please PM those to me.

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /combined/
Can you please enable round report and add packet names when you have a chance?
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Mnemosyne
Wakka

Post by Mnemosyne »

I don't really like complaining on these boards, but since it appears no one else is going to comment on this tournament, I feel like I need to express my dissatisfaction in how it all turned out.

I really appreciate Alabama hosting since it was such a good location and so many teams got to participate, but it seemed like there was minimal preparation beforehand, starting with the complete lack of information from the TD the week before. We had zero information on starting time outside of a vague forum post made on September 16th. After I posted in the Facebook group Friday night, we were told at 11:45 PM that the tournament would start at 9:00, which of course it didn't because of the late notice, and we ended up starting at 9:40 or so. If you look up in this thread, Auburn posted a week before the tournament asking for information and got no response. I wonder why they didn't show up? (It doesn't excuse them not contacting anyone ahead of time)

Various other logistical mistakes (no buzzers being set up in our first room, random cases of moderators not knowing the rules perfectly, slow moderators from other schools) are just part of a tournament so I won't go into that in much detail. However, I was pretty unhappy with both schools leaving early and the whole situation with us getting locked out of the building and the tournament being forced to abruptly end without finishing the final game, which actually mattered. I had been waiting all day to play Georgia, so not only was I just bummed out that we had to quit right before that game, but that game actually affected the tournament standings. If we won (which while not likely, would have been reasonably possible), Georgia and Vanderbilt would both sit tied with 1 loss, in which case there needed to be a final. If we didn't (sadly) lose 2 games on the last questions, then that same situation would have ended in a 3-way tie with 1 loss teams, but I guess only Vanderbilt potentially missed out on winning the tournament because of organizational error.

It seems like everything could have been improved if there was some basic communication before 9:00 PM on Friday night. The tournament also could have started an hour earlier, since it seemed to me like the entire field stayed in a hotel so no one was making a long drive that morning. I don't know what happened with Mark Morris not being there, and I hope Alabama can host again in the future, but please learn from the mistakes of this tournament.
Nick Collins
C. E. Byrd '12 (Shreveport, LA)
Louisiana Tech '16, '17
University of Virginia
LHDoroschuk
Lulu

Post by LHDoroschuk »

I had a really good time at this tournament. However, I agree with everything Nick said.

My major issue was just how long the tournament took. Wofford had to leave early because we needed to get home that night, but if we finished the whole tournament we wouldn't have gotten home until 4 am. It seemed like every round took almost an hour to finish, and yes, a big reason is because a couple of the moderators were either poor readers or just plain slow. Again, this tournament was a blast for me and I would have loved to have finished our last two games, but it was so late already that we had to make a team decision to drop out early.

I think the lessons to be learned here are to organize the tournament better, keep teams informed, and try to get more staff commitments so you don't end up slowing down the rounds to a crawl.

But otherwise, thanks University of Alabama for hosting and thanks to the other teams. I had a lot of fun in my first tournament as a college student!
Lee Holden
Assistant Director of Question Production, International Academic Competitions
Wofford '18, Dorman '14