NY / NJ Area Date Claims, 2014-15

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Re: NY / NJ Area Date Claims, 2014-15

Post by Northern Central Railway »

jonpin wrote:The weekends are dwindling. Bergen Academies would really like to host a high school tournament in the spring. Should Bloomfield fall through again*, we'd like to use March 7 as our date. We're currently attempting to find a set we can use.

*-Is there any evidence that their team, well, exists? It's my understanding they cancelled last year because they didn't have anyone to help run it, and I've not heard of them competing or signing up to play anywhere yet this season.
Bloomfield went to Livingston last year, but left after lunch.
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Former Coach, Mountain Lakes (NJ)
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

NHBB's Rochester Area tournament is confirmed on Feb. 7 (B Set) at Victor Senior High School in Victor, NY. Thanks to the generous support of the Robert Jackson Center, this tournament is free of charge for the Bee and Bowl, as is the Western New York History Bee and Bowl on Dec. 13 at the Nichols School in Buffalo (C Set). Full announcement on this program to follow shortly in the NHBB forum.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Genghis Kant: The Metaphysical Mongolian
Lulu

Post by Genghis Kant: The Metaphysical Mongolian »

Due to a good chunk of the field dropping out right beforehand, Bull Bowl is being rescheduled for the Spring. We would like to tentatively claim March 14 as a date, if it's not too much of an issue for anyone.
Jonathan Folmsbee
UBAB President 2014-2015
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

NHBB is pleased to announce that Tenafly High School in Bergen County will host a combined US History Bee / US Geography Olympiad National Qualifying Quiz Tournament on Saturday, Feb. 28. That gives NJ students a competition to attend that day, while we're also almost certain to have a Long Island site and a New York City site for these as well, so area NY teams who are busy with HSAPQ states that day can still play these sets.
These are individual competitions only - each event costs $20, but if you play in both, it's $30 for both combined. Further details at www.geographyolympiad.com and www.ushistorybee.org
Registration will open for these events in December - we'll send out a reminder email to everyone when it's open.
David Madden
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Mark Wolfsberg
Lulu

Post by Mark Wolfsberg »

Dave or anyone,
Can we get a confirmation on NHBB Mid Atlantic Championships to be held at Princeton March 21st?
At the NHBB site we still have TBD on the date....
Mark Wolfsberg
Parent / Driver - certainly not a coach
Bethlehem History Bowl Club
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

I'm still waiting final word, but I'll check back in with them. Last I heard, it was a go, but they just needed to finalize which rooms. Also, if you want to reach my attention on NHBB matters, post on the NHBB forums. I check the boards every day, and if someone posts their I'll look, but I only check this forum once a week or so.
David Madden
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

NHBB Mid-Atlantic Championships on NHBB A Set has now indeed been confirmed to be at Princeton University on Saturday, March 21.
David Madden
Grace
Wakka

Post by Grace »

The tournament announcement for BHSAT's main site at Yale can be found here. If you know the contact information of any teams in the Northeast which do not usually visit the forums, please pass that link along to them! We may have included a contact-person from those teams in our email invitation, but I'd rather have teams hear about the tournament twice than not hear about it at all. Thanks!
Grace Liu
MIT (no graduation because hahaha what a joke)
Yale University '16
High Technology High School '12
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Bergen Academies will be hosting a high school tournament on Saturday, April 11, using the Potatoville set and NSC rules (20-pt powers, no negs, bouncebacks). Full announcement to follow.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Al Hirt
Wakka

Post by Al Hirt »

Since it seems no one else is interested, EB is looking into hosting states this year.
Shravan Balaji
Academic Team Captain
East Brunswick High School '15
University of Pennsylvania '19
NHBB Mid-Atlantic Regional Coordinator
Al Hirt
Wakka

Post by Al Hirt »

Apologies for the double post, but does anyone know if Bloomfield is happening this year? I sent out an email to the contact NAQT has listed, but I have not received a response yet.
Shravan Balaji
Academic Team Captain
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

Al Hirt wrote:Apologies for the double post, but does anyone know if Bloomfield is happening this year? I sent out an email to the contact NAQT has listed, but I have not received a response yet.
I emailed Colleen Halpin earlier this year, and she said that they were indeed hosting on March 7 (the rooms having been booked last year, apparently), and that help/advice was welcome.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
Al Hirt
Wakka

Post by Al Hirt »

christino wrote:
Al Hirt wrote:Apologies for the double post, but does anyone know if Bloomfield is happening this year? I sent out an email to the contact NAQT has listed, but I have not received a response yet.
I emailed Colleen Halpin earlier this year, and she said that they were indeed hosting on March 7 (the rooms having been booked last year, apparently), and that help/advice was welcome.
That's good news, I just hope they make it known in time.
Shravan Balaji
Academic Team Captain
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Post by The Polebarn Hotel »

Just a question to whomever it may concern; is there a date for the upstate NY NAQT championships that are supposed to happen at Cornell? I know that metro-area NY has a forum post and a date, which is why I'm asking.

EDIT: Never mind, I just noticed the update. How sneaky.
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Crazyflight wrote:Just a question to whomever it may concern; is there a date for the upstate NY NAQT championships that are supposed to happen at Cornell? I know that metro-area NY has a forum post and a date, which is why I'm asking.

EDIT: Never mind, I just noticed the update. How sneaky.
On the other hand, there's still been no update on the NY State series from HSAPQ. The website has said "Information On The 2015 New York Quizbowl Championship Will Be Posted This Week" for a few months now, and information elsewhere on the boards implies the regionals are to be held January 31.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Those tournaments are happening on the announced dates; I'm trying to lock down the last hosts.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
The Polebarn Hotel
Wakka

Post by The Polebarn Hotel »

Matt Weiner wrote:Those tournaments are happening on the announced dates; I'm trying to lock down the last hosts.
Does "last hosts" imply that there have been first hosts? As in, have there been confirmed sites that are hosting regionals on the 31st? And if so, why haven't these been advertised or published anywhere?
Casey Wetherbee
Ithaca '17
Georgetown '21
NAQT Writer
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

HSAPQ is still searching for regional hosts for Saturday, January 31. Contact [email protected] if you did not get a host solicit and would like to host either that day or the following day (Sun, Feb. 1).

States will be Saturday, Feb. 28 at Ithaca.

Full details for all tournaments to follow.
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

So, we have Ithaca HS and Niagara University working on getting confirmed for Regional sites. I got nothing from anyone I talked to in the NYC area. I recently contacted the NYU quizbowl team about helping out, but they don't know yet (which is understandable given how little time they've had to look into it, not trying to say otherwise).

HSAPQ is happy to provide the question set, under some reasonable financial arrangement, for hosting tournaments in central and western NY. However, it seems unjustified to call this a state championship tournament if we don't get participation from the NYC metro, especially since there is already an Upstate NY championship on NAQT questions. I'm going to have to say that if no one comes forward by Sunday to host an eastern site, we're not going to be able to move forward with the event in the manner originally envisioned and will have to try again next year on the state championship angle and work with individual hosts on what they want to do with this year's questions.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

Due to a lack of response from potential hosts in several regions, HSAPQ has decided not to host the regional tournaments this year. The tournament will return in 2016 after consultation with potential hosts/attendees about desired changes to the financial model/other aspects of the event.

We are in discussions with a potential host about an open-entry state tournament on 2/28.
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago