South Carolina '14-15

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Great Bustard
Auron

South Carolina '14-15

Post by Great Bustard »

NHBB will debut its Upstate History Bee and Bowl at Southside High School in Greenville on November 15. This tournament will run on C Set. It is anticipated that our Greater Charlotte History Bee and Bowl will run on B Set, with the SC History Bee and Bowl Championships moving to A Set for the coming year. When other dates get finalized, they will be posted here.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
bcorbett
Lulu

Re: South Carolina '14-15

Post by bcorbett »

Here is an attempt to compile a calendar of our SC-specific events. Please contact me to add additional tournaments.

September:
13 ACT

October:
4 Crusader Cup (North Greenville U.; NAQT A set (tbd)
11 SAT
25 ACT

November:
1 Dorman Fall Open (Spartanburg)
8 SAT
29 Thanksgiving break

December:
6 SAT
13 ACT
20 Christmas break
27 Christmas break

January:
17 Dorman Cavelier Challenge (Spartanburg)
24 SAT
31 Southside Tiger Invitational (Greenville; NAQT IS-142)

February:
7 ACT
28 SC HSAPQ Championship (Dorman, Spartanburg)
*DOE Science Bowl (USC Aiken)

March:
7 NAQT State Tournament (Wofford, Spartanburg)
14 SAT
21 NHBB State Tournament (Southside, Greenville)

April:
18 ACT
Last edited by bcorbett on Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Corbett, PhD
Southside High Greenville, SC
[email protected]
wareagle
Lulu

Post by wareagle »

Teams from South Carolina are encouraged to attend a Southeast region mirror of the Harvard Fall Tournament at Marist School (GA) on 11/15.

More information can be found here,

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16396
Kevin Mullally
Marist School
Academic Team Head Coach
thomasgnd
Lulu

Post by thomasgnd »

I would like to take a moment to encourage SC teams to attend the NHBB Regional at Southside on November 15 RATHER THAN the tournament at Clemson, which is scheduled for the same day. The Southside date has been on the calendar for months, and the Clemson event was scheduled in competition with it despite the advisement of many people involved in quizbowl in our state, myself included.

Brian Corbett and company do a fantastic job at Southside, and their proactive planning should be rewarded in regards to this date. Our team had registered for Harvard Fall in Massachusetts on November 15 prior to the NHBB Regional's announcement, meaning we will be unable to attend, but I encourage everyone considering the November 15 events in the Upstate to go to Southside.

Thanks for your consideration.
Geoffrey ND Thomas
--
Head Quizbowl Coach, Heathwood Hall
Columbia, South Carolina
[email protected]
--
Qwiz Camps Partner
qwizbowl.com
Amethyst
Lulu

Post by Amethyst »

Chattahoochee would like to invite teams in South Carolina to attend our annual tournament, the CATT! The questions this year will be a mirror of the UMD set produced by the University of Maryland. As usual, our tournament will be held on the 2nd Saturday in December (12/13/2014) at Chattahoochee's campus in Johns Creek (5230 Taylor Road, 30022). Please refer to our post in the tournament announcement thread for more details and registration: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16383

Hope to see you there!
Amith Punyala
Chattahoochee High School 2011-2015
Cornell University 2015-2019
WUSTL 2021-2029 (bruh)
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

HSAPQ will hold its state tournament Saturday, Feb. 28 at USC. No qualification is required this year; expect regional events to begin in 2016. Full details on the tournament to follow.
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

Greetings,

I wanted to link anyone looking at this thread to information on USC's HSAPQ State Championship Tournament, which will be held on February 28th. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16103#p296361 Feel free to e-mail me if you want to register or have any other questions. It will be hosted by the Academic Team at USC.

Also, I'd like to address the unfortunate overlap of the USC Challenge and the Southside tournament this past Saturday. First, I'd like to note that The Academic Team at USC has nothing to do with scheduling the USC Challenge and generally has little to do with running the tournament; it is organized by an honors society at USC. USC Challenge is traditionally held on the first weekend of December, but the organizers of that event had to move it from that date this year because of room reservation issues. I chatted with the organizer of the USC Challenge and he expressed interest in learning about using hsquizbowl.org to avoid such overlaps in the future. It's also possible that we might be able to work with them to help modernize the USC Challenge to get it more with the current quizbowl times.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum